News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119506 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur
« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2019, 02:44:55 AM »
Weekend-to-do-list!!!!

EDIT:

WIP: Eidolon!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Group Photo!!!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:22:33 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (Eidolon & Leviadon WIP!!! Kurnoth Great Bow!)
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2019, 12:22:49 AM »
Eidolon's cloak looks good and the skin on the turtle looks great.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2019, 12:53:18 AM »
Thanks, Mage! ;D

I'm still working on the cloak, the rivulets of water need to be highlighted. I was going to highlight with stormhost silver, but the contrast I layered on several metallic sections of the wave came out more water like thsn I thought. So I have to think of a color to use.

Yeah, contrast made the blending easy for the Leviadon flesh. I really didn't like the shell until I shaded it with contrast medium thinned nuln oil. I like it s lot more now, but I think perhaps I should have done something more organic. Still, I think it looks good, just depends on your taste, lol.

So, what do you guys want to see next?

I have Treelord Ancient, Kurnoth Hunters, Tree Revenants, Dryads, Arch Revenant, Eels, Akhelian, King, Khinerai, Witch Aelves, Melusai, Morathi, Cauldron, and HQs.

Will work on some infantry during the week, then will try to do something bigger this weekend.

EDIT: Just so it is known, I plan to continue all of these contrast models with further highlighting in the future. Eight now, I am just trying to get all of my models to tabletop standard. Once I've done all of that and completed the bases, I will move onto the highlighting stage. Sorry if it seemed that I wouldn't take it to that level, nothing wrong with tabletop standard, but I feel like I should try to g ok all the way. Especially since I'm accelerating this whole process, for me at least, at an unsuspected speed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:53:59 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
Witches! ;) your models look great, no make that gorgeous. The colors are spot on as usual. Did I mention WITCHES?! 8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Dread ;D. Witches are on the to-do-list. I'll try and do a small unit of 10 over the weekend. I think I'm going to try to paint small units for each army this weekend. I'm going to try and do some assembly of some reserves that I have for my Deepkin this week.

Wish me luck!

Kurnoth Hunter #3:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:27:10 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
Looking great! I think the face coloring gives him a lot of personality.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »
Thanks, Blazinghand, appreciate the feedback. Yeah I figured some vibrant war paint on the Hunters' faces would make them stand out. Glad you think that it does. Each Squad will have their own face paint.

Working on assembling my deepkin reinforcements... might try the citadel air paints and see how many coats I can get on my base coated Akhelians. We'll see how that work out.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
Lotsa luck for sure. Now the paints on him are the new contrast paints, right? If so I just may have to give them a go. What you're accomplishing is top notch. I really want to try the contrast flesh tone on my witches.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:18 PM »
Hi Dread, so the contrast was used on all of the recent additions to the thread. This Kurnoth Hunter is no exception, no highlights yet either. The gulliman flesh is pretty good, haven't tried the others though.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:44:17 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #289 on: June 29, 2019, 04:24:34 AM »
That Eidolon Sea Cloak looks absolutely terrific so far. Please tell me which paints you used! Also, was it one coat of one and then the other applied on top of the first, or was it two separate areas blended together?

You're certainly getting work done with these new paints!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #290 on: June 29, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
Thanks, Loosh! Here is the process that I created to do the cloak. I created the recipe myself, so there are no videos on it yet! ;D

Eidolon Sea Cloak:

1 - Primed black with Vallejo mecha primer

2 - based entire cloak in leadbelcher

3 - layered top section of cloak with Iron Hands Steel

4 - layered middle section with Grey Knights Steel

5- layered bottom section with valdor gold

6- Steps 3, 4, and 5 a second time, doing fast enough to blend them where the colors meet

7 - talsssar blue contrast over the iron hands steel

8 - Akhelian green over the grey knights steel

9 - Terradon Turquoise over the valdor gold

10 - blend colors where they meet during first and second coatss. Contrast takes as little while to dry, but the quicker the better.

11 - future step, highlight waves with stormhost silver, then leave as is or apply contrast over them again.

Snagged these for $50!!! From a good friend who was looking to downsize before he moved across the country. So stoked!!!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:38:02 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (Mechanicus!!!)
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2019, 06:12:11 PM »
Nice pickup, adeptus mechanicus are a fun army to paint and play. Those melee guys basically have uzzi's that count as pistols, so they can shoot into close combat as well, it one of my favourite units in the army. Will be interested to see how they might work with the new transport that's coming out.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2019, 09:23:30 PM »
Hi Mage, so... might not actually play this army. I've been running the numbers after sifting through the Mechanicus army to determine it's worth. It comes to about $620 MSRP. So, I've been thinking that I might trade it in to help finish my current AoS armies that I'm working on. All three of my projects have stagnated a bit in terms of collecting what I need. Being able to get my Daughters of Khaine to 2000 points would be huge for me, as I've decided to focus on them for the time being. I've gotten a bit tired of painting Idoneth for the moment, and with the Sylvaneth Battletome not out, my collection for them has halted at the moment, for the most part.

So I'm thinking on it. I've actually been under the tutelage of a group of Tournament players that are teaching me how to play AoS in their style. Apparently, I'm not as bad as I thought, but I still have a ways to go. The leader of the tournament group is really pressuring me to finish my daughters of Khaine, as he needs to playtest his list against them ;).

Also really thinking I need to start investing into a carrying case for my armies... as they're too vulnerable in the boxes I'm using :P.

So that's the update. May have posted the mechanicus stuff a little too soon :P.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #293 on: July 1, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »
Yeah fair enough, better to finish of one collection.

There are a lot of option for carry cases floating around. Traditional foam case work, but if the model has thin bits that stick out like spikes or even bow tips, it tends to get caught in the foam. Packing and unpacking the army takes a while, especially if you are not pulling every thing out compared to Magnet cases.

Magnet cases are rather good and fairly easy to make yourself and can be done cheaper than foam cases. The pre-made cases tend to be good if you have a lot of infantry, but not so great if you have physically large models, so making your own can work well. I've also seen people make magnetic movement trays for fantasy systems, so the entire unit is pulled from the case and is ready to go.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #294 on: July 1, 2019, 07:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the information, Mage! Yeah, sad to see the Mechanicus go, but I think it's for the best. Sisters of Battle will be my main focus for 40k, I think. Plus, I might be interested in another order army if I complete my Daughters and Idoneth... it's s secret for now though... but I don't think it's been on this forum yet😁.

Wh as t do you think of the Phobos Foundry Overlord magnet cases?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #295 on: July 2, 2019, 06:17:04 PM »
They look good, I really like the barriers to stop horizontal movement. AOS has alot of very large models, which will cause you to miss out on a number of shelves in that design. I would use a case like that to carry small to medium sized mini's, then have another case for large models. Morathi's wings are huge with thin bits sticking out, I would want to stick her in a foam lined container and use a filler like buble wrap or even the foam noodle things.

There are heaps of ways to make your own case system, lots of youtube and blogs floating around, ranging from super cheap builds using large plastic containers from the hardware store, to hard case conversions.

I hated having multiple cases, the foam made them really bulky to carry just 2k worth of points. I highly recommend any case system that has a trolley and connects together. I converted a makeup/cosmetics trolley, one section is all magnets, the bottom, is for big models like wraithknights, I now only need multiple case for Apoc level games, but that's always going to happen due to the size of titans and super heavy tanks and its maybe once a year.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #296 on: July 3, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
So, I've found this cool product here in the U.S. called MagnaRacks on website called Battlefoam!!!

I'm looking into how much you can customize this stuff. If I'm able to adjust the space between racks to accommodate my larger models, then I'm sold lol!!! ;D ;D

As you mentioned Mage, I'm would use one case for storing all of my normal sized or smaller minis, then use another case that I can adjust the space for larger models! Quite a great idea!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #297 on: July 6, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »
W.I.P.

Been awhile since I've highlighted anything, I feel rusty lol. I'm trying to highlight the armor, but I'm finding it quite difficult to be honest!

Any tips?
« Last Edit: July 6, 2019, 05:20:10 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (W.I.P. Akhelian King)
« Reply #298 on: July 7, 2019, 01:37:34 AM »
I just love the colors. Honestly don't think it needs highlights from what I see in the pics bit if you must, I would suggest Storm host silver dry brushed. Keep 'em coming.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Conclaves of the Asur (W.I.P. Akhelian King)
« Reply #299 on: July 7, 2019, 10:03:44 AM »
Thank you, Dread, I will probably end up highlighting him, but I appreciate that you don't think it's necessary :). I'm still working on him, not quite finished yet. Got some clean up to do, weapon to finish, flesh to paint, and finishing the fins too. Will keep you guys updated!

« Last Edit: July 7, 2019, 11:25:21 PM by Myen'Tal »