News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread  (Read 176322 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 1, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »
If you look through the posts on the faces of the waagh you will see some of us who have way more than the three pictures. (including yours truly)

I think the original post on picture limit was when the pictures were posted and hosted on this thread, but with the advent of things like Photobucket, where pictures no longer eat up bandwidth, the picture thing is no longer an issue like it was before. I remember a little while back where.... ooops, I might be showing my age.

The real limit is the character count, like when doing batreps, only so many words fit in one post, so you sometimes have to post twice to finish the batrep, so it is with the faces of the waagh thread, you are limited to a number of characters (I think 20,000 but I may be off a little) so as long as you don't exceed that you can post as much as will fit in that post. Like my list of lists, I couldn't get it all in one post and had to break it down into three posts.

If you keep your "stuff" contained to the one post in the faces of the waagh, I see nothing wrong with posting up your Photobucket (or equivalent) links as your not actually hosting the picture here. Just make sure to do thumbnails so that the post won't get overly long.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #281 on: July 1, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
The limit was put in place because not everyone has a fast internet connection and a page of 20 posts (the default setting) full of pictures would take ages to load
If you note Gutstikk's wording it was only ever a polite request and never a rule as such anyway

If you guys are serious about a change we can discuss it here to keep board clutter to a minimum and it affects the Waaagh anyway :P
I'm open to tweaking the faces thread around a little if you guys want it and I doubt any of the other mods would have a massive issue with it - within reason of course ;)
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #282 on: July 3, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
So I picked up a 3rd edition dark eldar raider last week for $10 and I'm looking it over thinking "what can I do to this?" then it hit me! It's gonna be my new trukk! I have extra propellers from making buggies so I'm gonna use those instead of wheels just and I have some extra guys from another trukk model I kit bashed to make my looted wagon out of.

What you guys think about this project?

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
  • To er is 'umie, to WaaaaaaagH! is divine.
« Reply #283 on: July 3, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »
I think it's a perfect opportunity to bash up a warkopta! I've been itching to scratch/bash one for ages but I'm tied up with my Fighta dn Grot tanks atm...

please do it! [so I dont have too XD]
Blood Axe Orks W/D/L - 12/3/1

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #284 on: July 4, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »
I'm with zog...  Build it as a war kopta... If your opponent lets youuse those rules, great...  If not, then you can call it a trukk for the match! lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #285 on: July 4, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
The Bank Account is updated, you can find it here at THIS LINK

This week there was a lot of good stuff, lots of teef were earned, and we are at 70 members. (more good stuff)

As always, if I missed anybody's teef earning work, feel free to PM me or post it here in this thread so that I can get your account updated.

If you guys are serious about a change we can discuss it here to keep board clutter to a minimum and it affects the Waaagh anyway :P

I'm open to tweaking the faces thread around a little if you guys want it and I doubt any of the other mods would have a massive issue with it - within reason of course ;)

I would like to see the faces of the waagh thread increased, say 50% a page, so that it is 30k characters instead of the current 20k. I have a little over 9k of painted orks and I would be unable to post all those pictures in my current page.

Of course I could start a second page, but then that might look kinda funky as I would have to put a link to the second page at the end of the first page, and depending on how many more faces get posted my page 2 would be much further away, rather than concurrent. But hey, thats just me.

If the other orks don't want a larger faces of the waagh page then I guess I will have to live with what we have now. I really do appreciate the offer and would like to take you up on it, if the other orkses agree.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #286 on: July 5, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
I am going to open it up for a vote on the council.   I propose that the Faces of Waaagh sticky be just like everyone elses "show us your army type post"  Meaning that if the vote passes you will be able to...
-Post as many posts as you like in the Faces thread... (no serial posting back to back)
-comment on other people's work or offer suggestions

The need to only be able to post one post in the thread is not only limiting the growth of the Face's thread, but it is limiting the members who want to exhibit their work.   

Also with people commenting it would allow several posts in between pictures this would keep the pages from over crowding and being slow to load.   Not to mention members would be only maybe posting 3-4 pics at a time and not say 20 pics of their army.   

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #287 on: July 6, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »
Well, I kinda like it the way it is, where one member has one post/page to show off his/her army. The no comments inbetween do make it rather formal, but I would hate to see it get too spammed out with all the "hey thats nice" comments. So we will have to come to a compromise on that aspect. 

Maybe think of it like a blog page, where your post is about your army, and its accomplishments, (some of us put links to batreps in their faces post too) sorta like a bragging page, just with a larger size limit.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #288 on: July 6, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
I like the one user == one post thing. Crisp and clean and sort of un-orky for a change.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
« Reply #289 on: July 6, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
Hello,

I would like to join the Waaagh. I have been playing Orks since before our last codex update, and have always loved the greenskins. I have about 3000 or so points (its been a while since I counted up all of my stuff).

I'll be posting my stuff to the faces thread soon, I just need to actually take some pictures... probably won't be until after this weekend

speaking of this weekend, I will be at Wargamescon in Austin TX this weekend with my nob-heavy speed freaks list. If any of you boyz will be there, let me know! always nice to meet other ork players. I played my orks there 2 years ago and took 2nd, hoping for a repeat performance this year. 
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #290 on: July 6, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »
Good to meet you and welcome to the waaagh...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #291 on: July 6, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
Just posted this in the forge section. http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=215700.0
An apocalypse formation based on burna boyz. Opinions welcome (please post in the forge thread rather than here to keep it all together)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #292 on: July 7, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Hello,

I would like to join the Waaagh.

Welcome to the Way of the Waagh, make sure to read the first page of this thread as it has a lot of good stuff and the all important FAQ. Then  look at the stickies above, you should go to Boot Camp here atTHIS LINK

Your name has been added to the bank account, and you will see your name there on the next update (Mondays). Angel of Death 007 should be along shortly to add you to the rolls.

Again, welcome

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #293 on: July 8, 2011, 01:58:08 AM »
muffinman331 welcome to the green side.    I have been building since our last codex as well.   Good to see members with a large ork army as they usually have quite the experience with different ork units.   We got an awesome and very knowledgeable group so I hope you find yourself at home.

Dunno who all is from Texas but depending how the Battle of the Boss's works out maybe we can try to coordinate a larger scale meet up day in different regions (if it is possible).   Again this is just an idea at this point but since our WotW is growing so rapidly soon it won't be long before we are able to find other members in our proximity.   I mean orks is going to take over the Earth...  and then the future universe....  HA HA HA...   *evil smile*

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
The Bank Account is updated, even with all this activity this week, only 1 toof was earned, and that was by our newest member. You can see the latest accounting HERE

As always, if I missed anything, just let me know and I will get it credited to your account. (notice I didn't say tootie sweetie this time?)

As for the battle of the bosses, make sure you all head on over to that thread and give us some ideas for a mission and/or scenario.

Offline Mercutioh

• Ork Yoof
  • Chaos and Orks, Making things go squish
« Reply #295 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »
so posting pics to the site is frowned upon? You orks need to thwap me when I am doing things wrong!
I'll post them to my Google site instead.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
so posting pics to the site is frowned upon? You orks need to thwap me when I am doing things wrong!
I'll post them to my Google site instead.
I'm sorry but what?
Where did you see/read that exactly?

Offline Mercutioh

• Ork Yoof
  • Chaos and Orks, Making things go squish
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
If you look through the posts on the faces of the waagh you will see some of us who have way more than the three pictures. (including yours truly)

I think the original post on picture limit was when the pictures were posted and hosted on this thread, but with the advent of things like Photobucket, where pictures no longer eat up bandwidth, the picture thing is no longer an issue like it was before. I remember a little while back where.... ooops, I might be showing my age.

If you keep your "stuff" contained to the one post in the faces of the waagh, I see nothing wrong with posting up your Photobucket (or equivalent) links as your not actually hosting the picture here. Just make sure to do thumbnails so that the post won't get overly long.
I kind of inferred it from Skeeter's post

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
And you'll notice I immediately told you all otherwise, from the very next post:

The limit was put in place because not everyone has a fast internet connection and a page of 20 posts (the default setting) full of pictures would take ages to load
If you note Gutstikk's wording it was only ever a polite request and never a rule as such anyway

It has nothing to do with hosting on the site, it never did and you're perfectly free to do so, others prefer photobucket or imageshack or another similar image hosting service, this is also freely allowed

The limit was and still is purely because a full thread of multiple images would take an age to load, hence three each means 60 images per page to decrease loading times

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
You know, I think that in the future when I use the words "I think", that I will have to use way more words to the tune of "to the best of my understanding" or "IF the way it was that I understood it".

When I typed the words "I think that it was from the days of old" kinda thing, I should have inferred that I did not have the perfect understanding of the whole big picture ( pun intended).

So, if you feel you should not post pictures because you misunderstood my poorly written statement, I apologize. Please post your pictures, it is one of the things I enjoy about this forum is that I get to look at other really cool ork models (or orkified models, if you will). 

As Changeyname has stated, the "limit" was a request, not a set in stone rule. The limit is there to be kind to those who do not have broadband or wireless broadband internet. Yes, it is hard to believe, but there are still those in this world who still use dial up, or DSL for their internet needs. TO THE BEST OF MY UNDERSTANDING this is why the request was made, to make sure that other users of this forum won't have to wait forever for a page to load everytime they try to read a thread.

The former statement that was quoted was when TO THE BEST OF MY UNDERSTANDING AT THAT TIME the forums were more controlled due to bandwidth issues, and all sorts of other stuff that I remember being discussed, that no longer apply, or that I understood incorrectly. Since I am not a mod, I do not have a perfect understanding of the way things are run.

In the future, I will try to refrain from any inferring of knowledge that I think that I know, but don't, and if I do I will use the big words to obfuscate the issue further.