News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Robots are your Friends.  (Read 652 times)

Offline Adam LongWalker

Robots are your Friends.
« on: May 8, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
I found this article on the Washington post web site.
Enjoy :)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050501009_pf.html
"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: Robots are your Friends.
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »
   Very interresting read. I didn't thought that ground 'bots were used so intensively by the military tough but then, I'm no military man myself.
   It well seems that we attaining a technological turning point, at last concerning robotising. Bipedal bots in 20 years? I'd like to see that! Tough I do not foresee much day-to-day practical use right now. Mowing down darn lawn is about the best use I could have from a robot right now, other than that... :)

Again, we all here will be much older before they become a standard of living tough.

Again, a good read.

Starky
« Last Edit: May 9, 2007, 12:13:39 PM by Starrakatt, the left hand of Khaine »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline draco84oz

« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2007, 10:43:17 PM »
What the!?

I knew the yanks were a little mad, but this is just nuts...still, things happen in war that do strange stuff to a man...

At least the 'bots are still dumb - if we ever develop AI, we'd better make sure as heck that the IA's are implanted into them.
"The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer to." - Ron Hall

40K - Omega Guard Space Marines, 1500 pts, 17/7/9

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
 :'( Awww... that was so heartwarming. Those brave, brave robots.

Interesting to read the bit on the UAV pilot trying to eject when he hit the runway, it's a bit like the way your stomach flip-flops if your character falls of a ledge in a video game.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
The colonel just could not stand the pathos of watching the burned, scarred and crippled machine drag itself forward on its last leg.

Hahah, humans are so cute.

That's an excellent machine.  If it's cheaper than the Aardvark (I think that's its name, one of several models of armored mine-clearing vehicle) then this is a great thing.  With streamlining and improvement of the design, it could be affordable to poor nations who have unexploded mines on their land.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2007, 07:02:35 PM »
a colonel called a test with a robot not humane ??? (but ordering soldiers to charge a hill litteredwith machineguns is ok  :o)
A robot can be fixed, but anyway if the feet were better armoured it would not have lost its legs
« Last Edit: May 9, 2007, 07:06:07 PM by Jehan-Reznor »
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army