News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pt Farsight bomb list  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Galef

2000pt Farsight bomb list
« on: May 7, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »
I have a friend in Knoxville who plays Tau and had an abundance of Crisis suits.  He also has a Riptide and Stealth suits, so his Elites are pretty crowded.

I will be going to visit him in a few weeks and wanted to run a good list by him that uses what he has.

After talking to Tarzan and Ben Bills, I came up with this:

HQ
Commander Farsight
Crisis bodyguard (x7)
---2 w/ Fusion blasers (x2 each) & Target lock
---4 w/ Burst cannons (x2 each) & Counterfire Defence Systems
---1 w/ Command and Control Node,
Vectored retro-thrusters
Puretide Engram Neurochip
Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite
-----4 Shield Drones
(if you do not know what the above systems do, find a codex, they are important)

Ethereal

Elites   
6 Steathsuits w/ Shas’vre
Riptide w/ Ion accelerator & Stimulant injector

Troops   
10 Fire Warriors
10 Fire Warriors
10 Fire Warriors

Fast   
7 Pathfinders

Heavy   
Hammerhead w/ Longstrike
---Submunition rounds & Disruption pods

2 Broadsides
---High-yield Missile pods & Velocity trackers
2 Broadsides
---High-yield Missile pods & Velocity trackers
-------------------------------------------------------------------1999pts

So the point of the list is to form a fire-base around the Ethereal, keeping everything within supporting fire of each other.

Then Farsight's enclave Deepstrikes with no scatter behind the enemy to kill 2-3 units on the drop, then thrust-move away.

With 32 BS2 overwatch shots from the Burstcannons, he shouldn't have to worry about much charging him.  If something does get through, they can Hit & Run.

Any thoughts?
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Darkstrider

• Armies: Tau, SW, DE, Necrons
Re: 2000pt Farsight bomb list
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
you might want to consider taking a neroweb system jammer for your farsight bomb, it could be really helpful for letting you run farsight and his unit right next to the opponents heavy weapons teams. It's also the cheapest signature system.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »
Do you plan to grab objectives by foot slogging your firewarriors? You either need outflanking kroot or some devilfish. I don't see you bringing enough firepower to table an opponent and you don't have the ability to grab objectives.  I think you'll have fun but won't be able to much more.

I would drop a few of the burst cannon bodyguards to make some room for dedicated transports. 

You don't need a stimulant injector on your riptide.  For the same points you can give him early warning override and a velocity tracker. What secondary weapon do you have on him and on the hammerhead?  I like the SMS on both but if you plan to play him aggressively then a FB or PR may serve you better.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Galef

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
In my area, all the other Tau players are not using Devilfish OR Kroot and they have no problem with objectives.  2 of the players have been playing Tau for years and are considered good players comparing to most in our area (which can be between 30-60 players, with some tournies pulling over 100 peeps)

They tend to favor the "grab 2 objectives near my deployment and contest/blow away enemies near the other objectives.

Tau tend to get First blood pretty easy too.

All that being said, I have been recently convinced to drop the huge bodygaurd for the following:

Bodygaurd (x5):
4 w/ Missile Pods (x2 each) & Target lock (x2 only)
1 w/ Command and Control Node &
---------Puretide Engram Neurochip,

Elite slot:
2 Crisis suits w/ Fusion blasters (x2 each)
1 Vectored retro-thrusters, 1 Targetlock
4 Shield Drones

The idea being that Farsight joins the Crisis suit team to make a "mini-bomb", while the bodyguard deploys with the rest of the army to add to its fire power.

Also I don't need the expensive Velocity trackers on ALL the Broadsides.  Having 1 VT and 1 Target lock in each unit gives me the versatility to shoot at more targets while still being a threat to flyers.

Doing that gives me the points to buy more Fire Warriors in each unit.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Darkstrider

• Armies: Tau, SW, DE, Necrons
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
I also never play with kroot and only occasionally field devilfish. One really good trick with your FW's ethereal and pathfinders is using zephyrs grace on all of them running up and picking a target with your markerlights to blast to death. I have used this trick to turn the tide of battle, and it helps them foot slog across the board a lot better. It's not ideal with your list as I built one around the ability using the fire blade sniper drones smaller PF squads and broadsides as well to get the best chance for a cascade and the ability to pick multiple targets.

You may want to consider finding the points for some seeker missiles on your broadsides or hammerhead.