News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Nighthaunt  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Nighthaunt
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/14/14th-may-faction-focus-nighthauntgw-homepage-post-3/#utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AOS&utm_content=NightHauntFocusMay14

I'm not a fan of the models featured in the faction focus.  They are far too fragile and I particularly dislike the daft blindfold over the eyes of the Grimghast Reapers and the hangman's scaffold and noose strapped to the Lord Executioner. I'd rather stick with my old Wraith models compared to these offerings.

What I really do like though is the direction in which the rules for this army is being taken.  The rules for this faction look very interesting.  I think that they would be very durable and I really like the concept that GW is developing for this army.  Would they be as strong as they seem on paper?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Nighthaunt
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
Ignoring rend, dishing out mortal wounds, healing and returning models, and I assume a lot of them will be flying...yeah, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.  8)

As for the models, I like the 'spooky' angle they're going for.  I'm a fan of horror films like The Woman In Black, The Conjuring, Insidious etc, so these appeal to me.  Just a shame that my friend has 'dibs' on them.  ;D

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
The models are absolutely gorgeous. They will be a good meta buster force on the table too, as they ignore rend across the board.

I'm really excited that they are being fleshed out from the 5 units they had previously.

I think I might need to start a new Death army soon to go alongside my Ghouls.  ;D ;D

With this, and the Sacrosanct Chamber releases... It's factions for two of the four prophets from Malign Portants. I think this is a very good sign that Moonclan Grots, and Darakoth will be getting books too. Based on the two existing Darakoth models, that'd be siiiick.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »
These guys sound awesome. I'm guy going to need to convince someone to play with me, now.

Hmmmm...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
@ Killersquid

I would bet money that the moonclan grots will be along within a year.  They’re practically there already.  They just need replacements for the old metal models along with an alliegence ability (or have they already got one?) and artefacts and they’re good to go.

Will the older models like the Cairn Wraith and Tomb Banshee still be produced?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:34:36 PM by Calamity »

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
From the looks of things, all existing night haunt models will be in the book. They are all plastic kits. GW hasn't been removing units since the first handbook.

Moonclan would be cool. It's pretty much just the squigs which need new kits. I'm thinking of starting them as my second faction.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 05:00:36 PM »
I'd also be surprised if either the models or the rules for Cairn Wraiths and Tomb Banshees were removed as options.  The sculpts are not that old and fit the aesthetic of Age of Sigmar very well and the new models are variants on the original concepts, so it would make sense for the originals to continue to be present.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »
With this, and the Sacrosanct Chamber releases... It's factions for two of the four prophets from Malign Portants.

Oooh, did not even realize that, but you are definitely onto something, Killersquid! :)

Moonclan Grots, and Darakoth will be getting books too.

Darakoth will be getting books too

Darakoth

:o :o :o Holy Sigmar, now that I would be ready for!!! I love the Darakoth War Queen and Chieftain too, always thought that it would be great if GW ever decided to flesh them out!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
I wasn't very vowed by these new units. Or rather, they're fine - but they kinda did confirm my concerns that themeing the undead armies like this, with ghosts, skellies, etc. make for kinda unvaried army-looks. They just look a bit samey to me, these ghosts.

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:12 PM »
I wasn't very vowed by these new units. Or rather, they're fine - but they kinda did confirm my concerns that themeing the undead armies like this, with ghosts, skellies, etc. make for kinda unvaried army-looks. They just look a bit samey to me, these ghosts.

It's all up to personal preference in this case. Nighthaunts and Flesh Eaters are both themed around a particular style of unit.

The four unique allegiances in Legions of Nagash book are a 'buffet' version of the Grand alliance. You can take pretty much whatever you want. Just not the new ghosts and ghouls (unless as allies). That'd probably be more your style, as you can take a more diverse selection, with just thematic differences.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
Faction Focus: Nighthaunt Part 2 - Warhammer Community

I am impressed with the rules and the army design even more after having read this.  The Guardian of Souls is very much mimicking a Ringwraith, but it does fit with the concept of Nighthaunt, so this is far from a complaint.  The mobility and cold touch nature of Nighthaunt units is exactly how they should be in my opinion.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2018, 07:23:18 PM »
I think they look and sound awesome. I'm almost certainly getting into the game with this release.

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2018, 08:17:57 PM »
I'm excited for the second wave, with all the models not yet in the box!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2018, 02:37:52 AM »
Not only are these new models awesome, but you just know that they’ll be so easy to paint too.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »

Besides the Black Coach, what else will the second wave contain? Do we know?

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2018, 08:39:28 AM »

Besides the Black Coach, what else will the second wave contain? Do we know?

There looks to be three named characters, including the mortarch of Greif, Calvary, banshee unit and maybe another infantry unit.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
Speaking of the Mortarch of Grief, she has been revealed: The Mortarch of Grief Unveiled! - Warhammer Community.

I really like this model and the concept behind the Mortarch of Grief reminds me somewhat of Miss Haversham.  Either way, I find this character to be very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing her rules.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
Speaking of the Mortarch of Grief, she has been revealed: The Mortarch of Grief Unveiled! - Warhammer Community.

I really like this model and the concept behind the Mortarch of Grief reminds me somewhat of Miss Haversham.  Either way, I find this character to be very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing her rules.

I thought the same exact thing! I love it!

I love the character the army is being given. Not faceless spirits, but actual beings with actual character traits.

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:59 AM »
The other named character on the floating throne is also really cool too. The points for the Nighthaunts were leaked as well, and I'm surprised how cheap they are. Gonna be cool to see more Death on the table. My (still warm, and not quite dead) Flesh Eaters will be happy to have some allies in the realms.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
I too am loving the direction they went with the nighthaunt.  So spooky.  ;D