News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Generals Handbook  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Generals Handbook
« on: July 6, 2016, 07:43:29 PM »
So, who else is stoked about this? My FLGS has a copy and I have been reading through it. It'll be great for actually making pick-up games easy. Also, I really like the rules in it for warband combats! You start with a hero and over the series of a campaign gain followers and minions and what-not. Looks like a blast to play.

Anyone else looking into it? I've found out my Chaos army is around 1000pts, so I need to get some more models!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Generals Handbook
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:52:17 AM »
It may be what encourages me to move over to AoS. I came to fantasy rather late in the day, but have a nice little Skaven force. When AoS came out, I was a little turned off by the minis, but mainly by the lack of organised play.

I'll probably pick it up at some stage and see if it floats my boat.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 04:52:59 AM »
So, who else is stoked about this? My FLGS has a copy and I have been reading through it. It'll be great for actually making pick-up games easy. Also, I really like the rules in it for warband combats! You start with a hero and over the series of a campaign gain followers and minions and what-not. Looks like a blast to play.

Anyone else looking into it? I've found out my Chaos army is around 1000pts, so I need to get some more models!

The warband combat sounds great!

And do you play bloodbound?  If so my army will probably be around 1000pts too.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:16:09 AM »
It may be what encourages me to move over to AoS. I came to fantasy rather late in the day, but have a nice little Skaven force. When AoS came out, I was a little turned off by the minis, but mainly by the lack of organised play.

No need to change your models.  Just use the ones you have.  That's what I'm doing, as my old Vampire Count and Empire armies from Fantasy are way too large to be replaced, and I have models dating back to the first Warhammer Armies books for each.

From what I'm hearing the book definitely looks interesting, but information on the grapevine suggests that the narrative section is a bit underwhelming.  That would be a bit of a disappointment for me, so I hope that this turns out not to be the case.  Otherwise, the addition of some much needed structure to AoS should help its appeal.  There are also suggestions that there is going to be some kind of world map published, but that may be a separate development, rather than something in this book.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »
There is a map for the summer world wide campaign which starts in 5 days. It's for the fight for the Realm of Life.

I have looked through the book, but mostly focused on the matched play and warband rules. But, it has a lot of stuff talking about how to link games and play campaigns.

Maps can be pretty much invented, as there are eight different realms and all of them are massive, so you can just create your own little region if you wanted too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
That's one thing I like about AoS.  In the older fantasy world, as good as it was, it was only one planet.  You couldn't make up your own worlds as you go in 40k.  But now you can.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
That's one thing I like about AoS.  In the older fantasy world, as good as it was, it was only one planet.  You couldn't make up your own worlds as you go in 40k.  But now you can.

It can go both ways, on the one hand it opens up for more customization and it makes it easier to have various factions fight each other, but on the other hand you can end up in a situation where nothing really matters because you're not really invested in any thing, narratively.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »
Agreed, and my concern is that, for me, there is more likely to be more of the former and less of the latter if insufficient guidance is provided.  Personally, I felt that the Old World map offered a significant amount of opportunity to develop narrative scenarios within the map based environment which was created.  AoS is clearly different, but I do not believe that having a more mapped out world would detract from player freedom when it comes to devising narrative based campaigns and scenarios.

Regardless, the book is a welcome development and I will be interested to see if any further developments arise in its wake, especially regarding mapping.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente