News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pt Flying Circus  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
2000pt Flying Circus
« on: June 24, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
I have been doing a lot of playing around with lists and was trying to find one that was really themed around a strong unit of Shining Spears (now that they seem playable!). Rather than go with an entire army of bikes (I am not ever going to buy enough bikes to make that possible), I instead just decided to make it an army of fast attack and flyers.

I am honestly not sure how truly viable this will be, but it seems like it will be an absolute blast to play. My Flyer wing and Spears will hunt armor and heavy infantry, while Baharroth leads the rest of the army against soft targets.

Outrider Detachment

Autarch Skyrunner (1)
    1 Autarch Skyrunner: Laser lance,Shuriken pistol,Banshee mask,Twin shuriken catapult

Farseer Skyrunner (1)
    1 Farseer Skyrunner: Singing spear,Shuriken pistol,Twin shuriken catapult

Shining Spears (5)
    1 Shining Spear Exarch: StarLance,Twin shuriken catapult
    4 Shining Spear: Laser lance,Twin shuriken catapult

Windriders (3)
    3 Windrider: Shuriken cannon

Windriders (3)
    3 Windrider: Shuriken cannon

Outrider Detachment

Baharroth (1)
    1 Baharroth: The Shining Blade,Hawk's Talon

Swooping Hawks (7)
    1 Swooping Hawk Exarch: Sunrifle
    6 Swooping Hawk: Lasblaster

Warp Spiders (5)
    1 Warp Spider Exarch: Two death spinners
    4 Warp Spider: Death spinner

Warp Spiders (5)
    1 Warp Spider Exarch: Two death spinners
    4 Warp Spider: Death spinner

Air Wing Detachment

Crimson Hunter Exarch (1)
    1 Crimson Hunter Exarch: Twin starcannon,Pulse laser

Crimson Hunter (1)
    1 Crimson Hunter: Two bright lances,Pulse laser

Crimson Hunter (1)
    1 Crimson Hunter: Two bright lances,Pulse laser

Hemlock Wraithfighter (1)
    1 Hemlock Wraithfighter: Two heavy D-scythes

Total - 2000pts
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:20:59 PM by Tweedz »

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: 2000pt Flying Circus
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
G'day Tweedz!
Looks like a blessed fast list, mate.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:22:25 AM »
On the Autarch, swap the Banshee mask for the Mandiblasters, the Banshee mask is only good in a small number of situations and given the speed of the unit, it is unlikely it will ever be used.

I would probably swap the CH Exarch for another Hemlock, these put out a solid amount of damage and can soak up a tone of fire, especially if the warlock gets a spell off. They also don't degrade very much one wounds start being taken off.

With the points regained from the second Hemlock, I would also consider dropping the Farseer, then use those points to add more infantry in. Infantry and number are important for objective games, especially relic and take and hold missions.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
Good call on the mask. I think you are right that the mandiblasters will be far more useful. And yeah, hemlock might be a better use than the CH exarch, but am going to play with the farseer and see how it feels before giving him up. Saving points from the hemlock trade, I could buy cannon bike perhaps?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:20 PM »
Now this is my kinda list. It screams Saim Hann. I like it. As for the banshee mask, it's my fault that it's not that good anymore since I spent so much time converting one.

So if I want one with the scorpions mask and I spent all the time making one, the rules would get changed to bad for it too. So I won't ruin it for the rest of ya.

Now back to the list, the only thing I would do is add as much bikes as you can. Lose 2 of the flyers and use the points for them. My opinion of course. It would work better in my gaming area. If your table area is only a 6' table then movement will get hard with that many flyers, all those seeing that many on the table is a fantastic sight to behold.

Let us know how your list does.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »
The only real issue I can see, is in controlling objectives, as you don't have a lot of models in your units, and controlling objectives is based on number of models around an objective.

But, that's an issue that potentially many builds may have to deal with, so as long as you're aware of that, you should be fine.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
I will have to see what the new meta is around my local game stores to figure out if I am going to need more models. Assuming I do need a higher body-count for objectives, any opinions on what they would be?

I figure I would have to take out flyers or the farseer (as suggested earlier). Dread suggested adding bikes, but those are not very high model count either. Maybe more spiders or hawks if I really need bodies?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »
I will have to see what the new meta is around my local game stores to figure out if I am going to need more models. Assuming I do need a higher body-count for objectives, any opinions on what they would be?

I figure I would have to take out flyers or the farseer (as suggested earlier). Dread suggested adding bikes, but those are not very high model count either. Maybe more spiders or hawks if I really need bodies?

it's all about making sure you have more models. As long as you can kill enemy units (or thin them down) that'll make a big difference. Your largest squad size is 5 models, so you'll have a hard time contesting objectives in your opponents back table edge (where their units will be safest).

Your jetbike squads with only 3 models per squad will be useless as objective grabbers.

You should be okay in relic games, as you can get on the relic quickly and start moving it away, but missions with only two objectives, or Big Guns Never Tire will be hard for you to win.

But, it does all depend on your meta. If there are no hordes of guardsmen or Ork mobs in your area, you should be okay.

On a different note, you have over 10 drops, which means you'll probably always be going second, unless you seize. Your army is really fragile with lots of small units, so you might want to condense your army into fewer drops, so you have a better chance on going first. Or, you'll want to deploy far back in your deployment zone and plan to always go second and weather your opponents first turn.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
With the speed of this list, I think I would likely be fine going second.