News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting an Iyanden Farseer (Tutorial for Iyanden PoC)  (Read 12120 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Painting an Iyanden Farseer (Tutorial for Iyanden PoC)
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
Ok, so this is my first ever tutorial and I would like to share with you all how I go about painting my traditional Iyanden colour scheme.  I had this Farseer model laying around waiting for a paintjob so I thought that I would combine my painting of this figure with a step by step tutorial so that I can contribute something to the Iyanden PoC and community which I have taken so much from.

1.   So take your model and undercoat it.  For this I used citadel GW Skull White primer.  To get a fine, smooth finish to this I spray at shoulder height about 8-12 inches away moving the can in small circular motions to make sure that the spray gets into all the crevasses and giving an even coat.  I would also recommend that after the primer has dried, water down some skull white paint about 60:40 water to paint, and then apply this all over the model to strengthen the undercoat and get any bits that you might have missed with the spray.  Also this brightens up the undercoat as the spray doesn’t come out pure white, you will notice the difference when you apply the watered down skull white.

2.   Leave the primer to dry for a good couple of hours before you start work on the next stages.  Generally I paint my models section by section and for this guy I started off painting his tunic. I used a basecoat of regal blue thinned down to a consistency just thinner than milk, this will probably need about 2-3 coats to achieve a solid colour.

3.   Once the basecoat has fully dried its time to do a ‘shading pass.’  To do this get your regal blue and mix it with a little scorched brown to darken it down.  Be very conservative with the scorched brown as a small drop will darken down a large amount of blue.  Water this down to about 60:40 water to paint with a little releasing agent, for this I just used a drop of matte varnish.  Hold the model upside down and in the recesses drag the paint from the bottom of the tunic up to his midriff.  The paint should pool slightly at the top of the brush stroke and shade in the folds of the cloth.  You can see the effect that this has in the picture below.

4.   After I have done the shading pass I need to go back and re-apply the base coat on the raised folds.  Using watered down regal blue drag the paint down from the top of the fold to the bottom of the tunic.  This requires about 2 thin coats to get a smooth transition between the two colours.  Repeat this process with your successive highlights.  I went up to pure ultramarine blue from a regal blue and ultramarine blue mix.  Using thin paint, again drag the paint down from the top of the raised areas to the bottom allowing it to pool slightly.  After a few layers apply the lighter colour directly to the bottom part of the fold to make the highlight strong and solid.  This should provide you with a very smooth transition between light and shade as shown in the picture below. The red sash was done in the same way, a base coat of red gore, a shading pass of red gore and scorched brown, I then re based it before the highlighting passes of 50:50 red gore and blood red and an extreme highlight of pure blood red. You can see here that I have blacked out the gems for the next stages and put down the first basecoat on the rocks using graveyard earth.  At this point I noticed that both of the spirit seer’s feet were together which I hadn’t noticed previously…. It looks a little dainty but hey it’s an awesome model.

5.   So after two days of solid rain I have been able to take some more photos and continue with this tutorial.  So far I have painted the inner lining of the cloak, and the gems.  All of this so far has been with the same techniques as described above.  The inner lining of the cloak gets a hawk turquoise base coat (such a beautiful colour) then add scorched brown into the mix and do a shading pass.  Once this is dry go back and re-apply the base colour where necessary.  Once that’s dry we need to do some highlights on the raised areas, add skull white to hawk turquoise and keep highlighting until you reach 50:50 turquoise and white.  You should end up with something like this, this is all about personal taste so if you want to use different colours to those I’ve used go ahead.

6.   Painting the gems is very easy, if you have access to an Eldar codex which any self respecting players should do, you can follow the GW explanation on how to do these, I follow this method and it works very well.  And you can see that I have blocked in the black on the cloak for the next few stages.

7.   So I’ve almost finished the entire bottom half of the model and it’s looking good so far.  I still have the yellow to go, the staff, the head and I don’t know what to do with his waist coat just yet but we shall see what happens when I get to that.

8.   Ok so now I get onto the important bit for any Iyanden players.  How do I paint yellow?  Well personally I find this a very easy colour to do and GW have a great line of yellow paints.  So simply, start off with a base coat of golden yellow, I used this straight out of the pot as it was a new paint and was the right consistency for the job, two coats did the job nicely.  Once dry I follow with a highlight of sunburst yellow, again straight from the pot.  Follow this with a further highlight of bad moon (thanks GW for discontinuing this paint that I use so much).  Finally an extreme highlight of 50:50 bad moon yellow to skull white on the very edges of the armour plates.  That’s all there is to it… no fancy tricks, its just building up a strong colour through thin layers and leaving the darker yellows visible as shading and making it ‘pop’ with the last extreme highlight.

(base coat of golden yellow)
(Awaiting image, the camera this pic was taken on is not in my possesion atm, and I don’t want to keeo you all waiting even longer)

(After the final highlights)

9.   As you can see by now I’ve also painted the helmet and eyes.  The helmet was done in the same manner as the blue tunic in stages 2-4 where I talk about base coats, shading passes, re-basing, and highlights… this is the method I use for most of my painting nowadays, its sooo effective at getting a smooth blend and graduated highlights.  The eyes were done quite simply, base coat red gore, blood red, then the smallest amount of blazing orange in the corners just to add a bit of fire into his eyes.

10.   To do the black cloak:  first we must realise that nothing is pure black, painting anything pure black doesn’t look right so instead we use a basecoat of a very dark grey,  about 60:40 chaos black to codex grey.  Then instead of doing shading passes on this we only do highlighting passes.  Keep adding grey into the mix and make sure the paint is very thin and drag each layer from the top of the cloak to the bottom of the cloak letting it pool slightly to build up a gradual highlight.  Blow on each layer to make it dry quicker before the next layer.  This requires lots of layers to create a smooth finish,  the last highlight I used on this was 60:40 codex grey to chaos black.  Unfortunately the highlights don’t show on the pics I have as the gloss varnish has washed them out in the photos.  Dam gloss varnish.  As you can also see I have started with the free hand on the cloak.  Water down fortress grey so its very thin, then with as steady a hand as possible and as few strokes as possible paint on what ever pattern you want.  Then go over this with white or the colour of your choice.

11.   Lastly I haven’t told you how I do my wraithbone.  I start with a base of snakebite leather.  Then over this I do 2-3 layers of thin bleached bone until the colour is built up solidly but leaving the basecoat showing in the recesses.  Then I add highlights of 50:50 bleached bone and skull white and then an extreme highlight of skull white.  Which gets results like this.

Snakebite leather basecoat

Final result after progressive bleached bone and white highlights.

12.   And there you go, all that’s left to do is give it a coat of gloss varnish and then a matte coat…. Easier said than done though, it has its gloss coat on and I was hoping to get some Testors Dullcote to finish it… but NO that’s now illegal to sell in the EU so thank you Mr. European Union for banning the best aerosol matte varnish in the world for miniature painting….*Sigh*  And that’s it 12 steps to a completed model and here is the last pics.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, I enjoyed it and this has been a great exercise in improving my painting.  I hope you find this of use or interest.  I will add more pics that I have stored on another camera soon within the next few days.  So thanks everybody.

Offline Myung

Re: Painting an Iyanden Farseer (Tutorial for Iyanden PoC)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »
Looks excellent Valar.

So you've turned from Chaos to anti Chaos?  heh
9,000 pts Eldar - Alaitoc - 6,500 pts Blood Angels
8,000 pts Imperial Guard - 3,000 pts Tryanids
3,000 pts Sisters of Battle - 4,000 pts Orks
2,000 pts Chaos - 1 Massive Crack Addiction

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »
Maybe the real painters in this sight will find something to critique, but it looks great to me.  Good work.  Are you going to be doing something similar with a wraithguard model.  Can't wait to see how that turns out if you do.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Blaze182

• The Damned~ Faithful Ulthwe Leader
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
Looks really really good! If i had to be picky.. and this is me going so far picky its sad.. it looks like a gloss coat has been applied.. im more of a Matte coat person =P haha.. opinionistic problem :P

Really good job though!!! :D
Hard Trance Loyalist!!!

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »
If I had to be picky, the yellow is the most distracting part of the color scheme.  It does not flow well nor does its shading looks smooth compared to the rest of the darker colors of the model.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »
Maybe the real painters in this sight will find something to critique, but it looks great to me.  Good work.  Are you going to be doing something similar with a wraithguard model.  Can't wait to see how that turns out if you do.

Yes I will probably do something similar with a wraithguard unit although not yet as I want to get cracking on my Harlequins... I think they will be very fun to paint.

Looks excellent Valar.
So you've turned from Chaos to anti Chaos?  heh

Lol not quite... Ive never played Chaos.. I hate them with a passion... thats probably because they were the cause for the Eldars demise.

Looks really really good! If i had to be picky.. and this is me going so far picky its sad.. it looks like a gloss coat has been applied.. im more of a Matte coat person =P haha.. opinionistic problem :P

Really good job though!!! :D

Lol unfortunatley it has been varnished with gloss... this is to protect the paint job, I was planning on giving it a matte coat but found out, after doing the gloss, that i cant buy testors dullcote anymore stupid EU.

If I had to be picky, the yellow is the most distracting part of the color scheme.  It does not flow well nor does its shading looks smooth compared to the rest of the darker colors of the model.

Yeh i think there is something not quite right about it... in particular the chest, if I did this model again I would paint the chest blue to give more depth and definition to the chest as Im not entirely happy about this bit.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:27:21 AM by Valar »

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »
Actually,if you want to incorporate yellow, then don't use such a strong tone of yellow, like Bad Moon Yellow.  I believe this can be fixed very well.  Try layering and blending with a combination mix of Bad-moon yellow and Skull White, making the final light layer as skull white.  It'll give it a subtle tone while leaving the rest of the colors as the focus.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:40:44 AM »
Well next up after some Harlies are 5 Wraithguard, these have a large area which I will be painting yellowso offer me a chance to try a different technique for painting them.  Im thinking i might start sunburst yellow, do a shading pass with golden yellow only in the darkest parts, then do 2- 3 highlighting passes with badmoon, bad moon and white and then an extreme of white with a hint of yellow.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
Very nice tutorial. In fact, I think it should be stickied. A suggestion for  final steps.
1) Wash  yellow with Ogrin flesh wash. If it is still "too yellow"  repeat with a 1:1 mix of ogrin flesh and Devlan Mud
2) wash bone parts with Gryphon sepia, but lightly focusing on recesses more then on flat parts.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
Very nice tutorial. In fact, I think it should be stickied.
Wow thanks Skeeve, thats a real compliment coming from some one of your standing.  Im honored.

Thanks for the advise.  I have not used the washes yet but I will definitely invest in a set soon and try out your advice on future models and be sure to post up the results.

Thanks to everybody who has commented already and offered their advise and opinions.  I have taken everything on board and will use it on future works.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »
hehe, if i had to be extremely picky.. i'd say..

WHY CAN'T I PAINT LIKE THAT!!!

*bang*

...silence....

Offline Raven

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »
Lovely neat painting, but I have to say, I think you used too many colours.

Blue and red looked lovely, then you added the cyan, which I felt was too much, then some black, then bits of yellow, then bone. then white...

Suddenly its looking like a block painted harlequin.

I think if you'd kept him at just a couple of colours hed have looked much much nicer.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:11 AM »
I thought similar whilst I was doing the model but now I actually really like all the colours together. Think of it like this, all the colours and all the different fabrics and all the different textures show the decadence and poncey-ness of the Eldar lol, only an Eldar would go to war over  dressed hehe.

Offline Blaze182

• The Damned~ Faithful Ulthwe Leader
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »
Ahhh, I get you. Thats a shame. Regardless, it still looks pretty nice =]
Hard Trance Loyalist!!!

Offline Draug

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:23 AM »
I really like the paintjob, looks great! Interesting to see you painting one part at a time, usually people paint one basecoat at a time.
Cheers on that mini!

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
   Very good work Valar, I am impressed! The way you describe the painting process is easy to follow and makes lot of sense, I wish my had read something like this before choosing my own silver pattern for my force. :D

That most excellent Thread is now linked and forever to be remembered in the Iyanden POC's Great Library.

Starky :)

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 05:53:48 PM »
I really like how that model turned out! I tend to paint my models with less colors, but I love how they worked together. it looks a little over-the-top without being ugly, I think it just adds to the overall effect. If the rest of your army is also painted with so many colors, though, it might be a bit much... I would suggest going with fewer colors for the wraithguard and whatever other rank and file troops you use. except Harlies of course...
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
I really like how that model turned out! I tend to paint my models with less colors, but I love how they worked together. it looks a little over-the-top without being ugly, I think it just adds to the overall effect. If the rest of your army is also painted with so many colors, though, it might be a bit much... I would suggest going with fewer colors for the wraithguard and whatever other rank and file troops you use. except Harlies of course...

I fully intend on using fewer colours for my other units.  This is an extravagant model representing an extravagant character so this amount of colours is well suited to him. 

The rest of my army is much simpler.  I use at most 3-4 colours on other units.  For example, the wraithguard will be Yellow with Blue heads, black or bone weaponry (undecided) and a white tabard.  Nothing extravagant just simple and coherant yet effective.  My guardians are Yellow with blue helms and bone weapons so very simple scheme which overall is very striking.  Actually I am thinking of starting a second Eldar army.... same scheme but a very different build, and instead of one colour for the whole army I will follow the true aspect colours for each unit to make it 'pop'.  I think I might make that into a blog..... what do you think, would any of you be interested in an army build blog?

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »
Solid paint and nice scheme.... not a lot of comments or Criticism and thats rare for me, so Well Done and keep it up....

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering