News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: have you seen the harlequin solitaire!!!!!  (Read 8084 times)

Offline dosmil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: have you seen the harlequin solitaire!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »
During a game vs. smurfs with my solitaire.  On his assault turn he was able to kill 5 terminators.  Of course, I was able to make 6 attacks in, of which I rolled two - 6's, three fives, and a four.  Then for his 4+ inv save he rolled 3's and 2's.  So it was a matter of luck too.  But on a good roll, the solitaire can be quite devastating.

The next turn his assault squad assaulted in and killed the solitaire no problem.  So this is also the drawback.

Offline Fenix7729

• From the Shadows to the Colors
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2005, 10:40:58 PM »
During a game vs. smurfs with my solitaire.  On his assault turn he was able to kill 5 terminators.  Of course, I was able to make 6 attacks in, of which I rolled two - 6's, three fives, and a four.  Then for his 4+ inv save he rolled 3's and 2's.  So it was a matter of luck too.  But on a good roll, the solitaire can be quite devastating.

The next turn his assault squad assaulted in and killed the solitaire no problem.  So this is also the drawback.
what list were you playing with?  he dosnt get 4+ inv save in ANY version i know of or were you being shot at with the 4+ cover save?
Commoragh... The place where everybody gets along... right?

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 07:29:09 AM »
I'm guessing they were assault terminators with thunder hammers with storm shields, hence the 4++ save

Offline dosmil

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »
Right, 'he', as in the terminator smurf player.

Don't terminators usually get the 4+ inv save?  Or if not, what do they need to get it?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:10:19 PM by dosmil »

Offline Fenix7729

• From the Shadows to the Colors
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2005, 12:26:38 AM »
normal termies get the 5++.  storm shields give 4++ in CC only and i hate them with a passion.
Commoragh... The place where everybody gets along... right?

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 03:28:59 PM »
Given that the thunder hammer terminator essentially loses the strom bolter for nor real bonus (ok - power fist to thunder hammer, but that's not that big a deal...),
I think the storm shield's well enough
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2005, 05:41:37 AM »
what list were you playing with?  he dosnt get 4+ inv save in ANY version i know of or were you being shot at with the 4+ cover save?

Actually, they do get a 4+ Invulnerable... 3rd Edition EO revision.

4+ Cover Save vs shooting.
4+ Invulnerable Save in combat.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline The Purple Sage

• Requiem and terra day, and so forth. Amen
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2005, 07:23:33 AM »
quite simply, the solitaire is extremely useful when used correctly. He is not a one man army, and shoudl not the pitted against massed attacks as his weakness is that when an attack hits and wounds 3 times, he dies, and you lose 150+ points. Dont put him against S6 characters, or units with more than 10 models as he will die quickly. many make the mistake of putting him against terminators alone, but their pfists will instant kill him. However, in use with a squad of 5 banshees with an exarch, they will demolish any squad of terminators. The key is to not let the solitaire be left alone against mighty numbers. He can take a small squad of marines at the best, but that is all, his greatest strength is when he is used in conjunction with other units like banshees.

in the 3rd edition, tanglefoot grenades were your best friend, as they reduced the enemy's fallback by one d6, im not sure how they work now though... i used to charge in with 5 banshees, win the combat, and kill the rest as we chase them after combat. Now though, i do the same but i use him only against units that will take about 2 turns to kill, hence him being out of combat in your next turn, so he cant be shot. Dont use him and banshees againt 5 man squads as next turn they will be shot down not so gracefully by most of the opposing army's firepower.

To sum it all up, the solitaire is an elite unit, and should be used so, with care. Careful planning is the key to using him effectively.

Superb summation!  You should post more in the Harlequin board--I'm sure many would be enlightened by your knowledge.

thankyou :), i try...

i would...but it has been ages since i last played or painted, sorta lising interest, but every now and again i like to share the knowledge burned into my brain :)
"I'm so fast last night i turned the light off and was in bed before the room was dark" - Mohammad Ali