News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: To those whining about rending...  (Read 6688 times)

Offline allconsuminghat

• Warrior
  • Son of a silly person
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Lizardmen, Bretonnians.
Re: To those whining about rending...
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 04:57:32 AM »
Yeah, I regret the loss of the cool wargear plus the solitaire but harlequins are meant to be a bit dancey, they're performers and actors, surely that includes dancing, esspecially since they're kind of based of Comedia Del'arte characters like Arlechino. Thats sounds a bit like harlequin mind you.
I'm happy to be wrong.

Farseer Jeff of Craftworld Iyanden 0/0/0
Archon Steve of the Kabal of Impending Bankruptcy 0/0/0

They're a peace loving people.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 05:12:31 AM »
If they do a seperate harlequin list, this stuff should come back.
I'm kind of ok with the solitaire not being in there - they're rare, even amongst harlequin troupes...

I'm just waiting for a harlequin troupe army list using the new rules...add in a few new skills and some exarch/dark eldar wargear (e.g  a variety of masks and the terrorfex - harlequins always had wrist- and backpack-mounted grenade launchers).

Jetbikes, independant death jesters, and solitaires really belong in a pure 'quin army....
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2006, 05:40:47 AM »
when i said dancey i actually meant a word that 40k online would not allow me to use... the word referred to masturbation incase you wanted to know.
its as if the modelers wanted to show us how talented they were (look!! look! hes jumping!!) without giving us amazing models.

sure they are ok, but im sure if they took out some of the ridiculous poses theyd be alot better

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline Farseer Ari'Torcis

• Vengence is at hand.
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »
Dear faithlessmonkeigh,

Stop being such a faithless monkeigh.  Just trust that GW is not out to screw over one of its most awe-inspiring eldar units.  I totally understand your wargear complaint.  (I started customing some harlequins with a shadoweseer on DE jetbikes just before the rumors of harlequins being included in the new codex.)  However, when they allowed the harlequins in the new codex, they needed to be careful about two things.  First, and most obvious, that it was balanced.  Second, making sure that it could integrate with the new codex as smoothly as possible.  If the loss of wargear means that we can have harlequins be more than a 0-1 elite choice, then so be it.

...that said, i do really miss the solitare  :'(

Offline Guardian of the Rose

• Like my new headshot???
    • Me, acting.
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 02:09:41 AM »
Yeah, I regret the loss of the cool wargear plus the solitaire but harlequins are meant to be a bit dancey, they're performers and actors, surely that includes dancing, esspecially since they're kind of based of Comedia Del'arte characters like Arlechino. Thats sounds a bit like harlequin mind you.

"Harlequin" is the anglicized form of "Arlechino."  But I think you know that.

The Harlequin was a comedian, worked for another character (in our case: The Laughing God), the actor had to be VERY agile to play him as he was a physical comedian who used his acrobatics to elicit laughter and the attention of the women on stage.  He also was really into food apparantly, but my knowledge is based mostly on Wikipedia (the one Commedie del'arte class I audited, no one picked him as a character.)

Did anyone see the Studio 60 (NBC show on Mon nights after Heroes) where there is a running gag about a Harlequin and Commedie del'arte sketch?  I was mystified!  It's a fairly sophisticated 17th century Italian dramatic reference, and I LOVE its obscure placement in 40K.
There = a location
They're = short for 'They are'
Their = possessive for third person plural ('it belongs to them')

This message has been brought to you by the Obnoxious Grammar Police.

Offline allconsuminghat

• Warrior
  • Son of a silly person
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Lizardmen, Bretonnians.
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 03:00:57 AM »
Hahaha, I was always Pantalone... he was probably the mos dark eldar like out of all of them.

Yeah, I doubt many people recognise the harlequins origins.
I'm happy to be wrong.

Farseer Jeff of Craftworld Iyanden 0/0/0
Archon Steve of the Kabal of Impending Bankruptcy 0/0/0

They're a peace loving people.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 03:47:05 AM »
Well...the classic 'harlequin' clown is an image that quite a few people will have seen at some point - anyone who's ever seen a peformance by cirque du soleil will recognise a lot of elements from the new harlequin models...

There's also the 'messenger of the devil' side to it (one other suggestion for the origin of the word 'harlequin' is a corruption of the French 'hellequin': 'hell equin', Devil's Horseman/Rider)

For people who've not come across Arlecchino:
http://www.askoxford.com/languages/culturevulture/general/harlequin/
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685