News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Skyrunner Autuarch Bomb  (Read 3533 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Skyrunner Autuarch Bomb
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:50 AM »
I tried out a tactic the other night, and it worked surprisingly well. Wanted to share and get feedback if anyone else has used this and if this was just a one off or might be a relatively reliable tactic to run.

Took a 125 pt skyrunner autuarch with banshee mask, laser lance, and fusion gun. T1 moved from behind cover to advance all the way up behind more cover, then quickened to shoot him deep into an enemy flank. Target for him was a thunderfire cannon and the accompanying techpriest.

The 44" move, coupled with the ability to fly straight over all screens, really caught my opponent off guard. Now I know quicken is not the most reliable, but I feel with decent investment it can be worthwhile to try and slingshot him up to softer targets. For 125 pts as a backfield distraction (he lasted 3 turns and took out a dev squad and a rhino after the thunderfire and techmarine) I think he really made his points back.

So, anyone else have used him is a like manner? Or do you find him too easily crushed when going solo?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Alexxk

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Skyrunner Autuarch Bomb
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:13:21 AM »
Its definitly viable, a unit of shining spears can do the same they have not so good BS and WS but for 125 points you get exarch +3 spears so that may be even more damage. Vs shooting they have 3+4++ but vs melee they are much less durable than the exarch. The 44" move is only possible with saim hann but even witout saim hann, 32" is still nice!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »
Oh yeah its definitely viable. I'd send him in with some Saim-Hann Shining Spears advancing + charging with that stratagem. The Bike Autarch is great. He's perfect for that kinda stuff. Just say it was a Thunderfire off on its own. You could even attempt to drop in some units to screen him too. Just say you go after an isolated target, have the Autarch close in to assault and you could make a screen around the unit you are intending to target. You could webway in some units or even drop a cheapy unit of Hawks in there.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
As you have already mentioned the tactic can really put your opponent off guard.
Whilst admittedly 1st turn charges etc are fairly commonplace now in 8th edition when you are able to move so far in a single turn and then make a charge or even just put pressure on units like Devastators, Wyverns etc it can really throw their plans off. If those units just spend a single shooting phase trying to clear him away rather than shooting your Wave Serpents/Fire Prisms etc then he has definitely done his job.
I know Cav has commented without saying anything but have a look in his project thread for his latest battle report, he does it beautifully with an Autarch and a unit of Shining Spears. Immediate pressure can do so much to put an opponent on the backfoot that even if they aren't tearing the army up they can seriously interfere with your opponents target priority.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »
In general, I think Eldar's heavy cavalry are underrated. This is true even though it is common knowledge that Shining Spears are good. If you are Saim-Hann, your Shining Spears can:

1) Move and Advance (at this point, activate Warriors of the Raging Wind)
2) Benefit from Quicken to Move a second time (the Advance bonus from the Movement phase still applies to this normal move, as per FAQ). Seer Council or Seer of the Shifting Vector should be used here to make it more reliable, or maybe just a Command Re-roll.
2.5) Shoot! Shining Spear shooting is strong, don't forget those lances.
3) Charge

Against the sort of static gunline play you sometimes see, this is an amazing turn one threat. You can start them behind a Line of Sight blocker and end them in the enemy lines. Even if they fail to kill their target (though they should), they should at least be able to pile in and consolidate into a couple of units, preventing them from shooting next turn. They're such a huge threat that your opponent is forced to shoot them first, too.

For non-Saim-Hann, you can do the same thing without Advance, which still has a decent threat range.

I've also seen this done with Howling Banshees, which is less effective but still pretty cool. In this case, you spend 1 cp on Matchless Agility, and Quicken them, giving them the ability to move 28" and charge up to another 15" (though on average, another 10" for a quite respectable threat range.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
For me, what really got to my opponent, was the Banshee mask. After nuking the Thunderfire, he was out of LOS so couldn't really get shot on. He positioned the Rhino to try and make the charge on his Devs harder.... but I simply blew up the Rhino and his lack of overwatch really got under his skin.

I have been considering running a Saim-Hann FA detachment and just 741pts can take the aforementioned autuarch, two units of 6 shinning spears, and three Vypers with Bright Lances.

But if I do this, I can't quicken all three units....

Also - is that weapon configuration the best for the Autuarch? Lance and Melta?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »
Yeah, the issues with multiple units is you can't use Quicken or Warriors of the Raging Wind on multiple of them. Many people just run one mid-large unit of Shining Spears instead.

On an Autarch, you definitely want a Laser Lance, which is an amazing melee weapon. It's fine to leave it there, but if you want to take a second piece of Wargear, a Fusion Gun is a very solid choice. A Fusion Gun works well with Battle Focus and the usual effective range of the Autarch.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:36:56 PM »
Any of the other extra options are viable. Even a Reaper launcher! If you have the points.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
Any of the other extra options are viable. Even a Reaper launcher! If you have the points.

Reaper Launcher is cool but doesn't work quite as well with Warrior of the Raging Winds. It is, however, an awesome gun.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 04:48:46 PM »
A solo Autarch is heavily situational, you wouldn't do it against Nids for example :) He's also not that hard to kill when using normal dice.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:52:32 AM »
Having played with a Novalance autarch for a few months now, and having fielded him in a couple of tournaments, I can't help admitting that his performance feels increasingly underwhelming.

Problem is, when you take an Autarch you really want him to be your Warlord to refund CPs, otherwise it feels like a bit of a waste. But this brings another problem: as soon as you sent him out to assault something, he's guaranteed to end up totally exposed - and then he dies, automatically surrendering "Slay the Warlord" point. And in addition to that, his performance in melee is good but not great. Having just 4 attacks, he cannot really kill a tank or a unit (not even 5-strong unit) on his own, and sacrificing him just to knock a few remaining wounds off something also feels like a waste.

To be honest, I really feel that the only practical place for an Autarch is buffing rerolls to a strong firebase like 10-15 Dark Reapers and refunding CP in the process - in which case he doesn't really need to be on a bike or have any extra equipment at all.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 08:27:52 AM »
My solution to this was to run two autuarchs, one on foot and one on bike. Bike went with shinning spears, but they always seem to get separated.. not that sure that the bike one is worth it. He is good, and he is fun, but not sure he is that good. Especially since I can quicken him or the spears, not both. On his own, he is a cheapish throw away. But trying to get more out of him... I am just not sure
Flawless logic.

Offline Sarkrim

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
The games where I have used an Autarch on a bike, it's been in a counter charge role and along side a second Autarch as warlord. But having a rapid response unit like that lurking somewhere in your deployment zone, ready to murder things that dare get close seems to work as a deterrent. In some cases anyway.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
I've ran the jetbike Autarch several times. While it's a good unit, I've also found it underwhelming for the things I'd like him to do.

When I bring one now I usually give him a reaper launcher, mark of the hunter, and set him down with some rangers and reapers.

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
Lately I've been running two units of 8 shining spears with exarch with star lance - 250 points each.

Throw them in a Ynnari detachment with yvraine and a spiritseer. - you can then double move with both units - Word of the phoenix, and quicken.

and until it gets FAQ'd you can still make them Saim-Hann so they can abuse the stratagems to advance and charge (well 1 unit could)

While you can only protect and fortune one unit, having both units and a Autarch Skyrunner (as detailed above) give you so many hyper mobile threats. It has been unstoppable so far. My local group is learning, so no more easy back field charges, but I'm whereever I need to be... and fast.

Deep strike the two units and then follow the steps detailed above... MOVE, MOVE, SHOOT, SHOOT(sometimes) and CHARGE!
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
Usually, you won't be able to move twice with both units that comes in via deep strike. This is because they cannot move after coming in via deep strike. You can use Quicken AND Word of the Phoenix on one, but then the other won't move at all. Chances are, instead of having one move twice, you'll want each of them to move once for optimal positioning.

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »
I'm running a Skyrunner Autarch every game I play. I think it's a great unit. He's almost exclusively my Warlord and that comes with its risks indeed. However, the key, as always, is how you play with him. If you send him in alone against a strong section of the table, then yeah, he's a goner. Really, he is not powerful enough on his own to take out a full unit. That being said, he can dish out some mean, highly versatile damage. The twin shuricats plus a lance and a fusion gun make for a lot of shooting, and those lance attacks in the Fight phase are very good. The trick is to use him in conjunction with another unit, typically Spears. Often though, I end up sending my Spears on their own - they are just so good that they can handle almost anything by themselves. My Skyrunner usually ends up charging a weakened unit on a section of the table that isn't strongly fortified. Sometimes it's a unit that my Avengers have shot at, sometimes it's a tank that's almost dead. And there you go - that's the strength of the Skyrunner Autarch: he can be used against almost any target(s), cleaning them/it up after something else in your army watered them/it down. Some units in the game are very weak in melee and can be locked from shooting by having the autarch charge them along. Tau fire warriors, for instance, can be completely disabled a turn in this manner, even if they start at full strength.

The key is making the most out of his speed to get into the right positions, as well as avoiding being shot at by more than he can handle. Sometimes, I screw up, sometimes I sacrifice him for a higher cause, but most of the time, I manage to keep him alive for most of the game.
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »
Usually, you won't be able to move twice with both units that comes in via deep strike. This is because they cannot move after coming in via deep strike. You can use Quicken AND Word of the Phoenix on one, but then the other won't move at all. Chances are, instead of having one move twice, you'll want each of them to move once for optimal positioning.

You can move again if you deep strike. nothing in the Webway strike rules, the Quicken rules or the word of the phoenix rules prevent that. As a matter of fact the same tactic was used in the LVO winning list.

People do it with Warptime all the time.

Please show me where it says you cannot do this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 05:01:08 PM »

You can move again if you deep strike. nothing in the Webway strike rules, the Quicken rules or the word of the phoenix rules prevent that. As a matter of fact the same tactic was used in the LVO winning list.

People do it with Warptime all the time.

Please show me where it says you cannot do this.

You won't be able to move twice with both units that come in via deep strike. You made a bunch of statements here that do not contradict mine. If you move a unit with Quicken after it uses deep strike, yes, you can move it ONCE, using Quicken. Same with Word of the Phoenix.

However, if you have TWO units, both of which deep strike, at best you can move the two of them once each: move one with Quicken, and one with Word of the Phoenix.

This is very clear. None of what you said contradicts any of what I said.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
I think he means move twice as in deepstrike (counting as having moved) and then using an ability to move again (quicken or WotF).

You can not deepstrike, move as normal, and then use a movement power. Deepstrike happens at the end of movement and replaces normal movement.