News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Getting over the Ork Blues  (Read 3779 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Getting over the Ork Blues
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »
As I was writing in another topic, I realized this deserved its own topic.  The Codex blues, how can we overcome them?

It's been months and I still personally haven't been able to come to terms with it.  Even trying to do Unbound without any boyz seems to lack the joys of previous days, not to mention a lack of effectiveness at holding objectives.

So how to overcome these blues?  How have you guys moved on from the glory days of the 4th Edition codex and managed to get this 7th Edition drink coaster of a book to work?  I'm seriously asking, because I still can't figure it.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Getting over the Ork Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
definite oddities in the new codex - especially the cumbersome 'mob rule'.

have had some success with a very basic army.

3 identical units. 30 choppy boyz - heavy armour / inc one claw -nob / mini-mek bonus hq with killsaw {killmek} / one painboy on warbike for 5+ fnp.

back up with outflanking buggies to annoy campers and long range artillery

back up with tankbustas in trukks or a few warbikers / nob-bikers to keep enemy armour honest {i prefer nob-bikers in the ratio 3 red shirts to 1 claw - but its down to pp}

the only army ive struggled with so far is the butcher elves of the night with all their st8 36" range nastiness !

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
I just posted in the "First 7th Ed Game" thread my list, so I won't reprint here.

I have found the multi FOC list with cheap HQs to be the trick. Lots of boys for combat and taking objectives and lots of twin link shooty goodness. I find that my orks no longer play like the mad mob of slobbering krumpiness like before. Now they play a little bit like slightly tougher imperial guard (with less armor and leadership bonuses).

I have to run three FOCs to get all my fast attack stuff in there, but it is satisfying to do so. With a little foresight and finesse the army is really workable.

The new dex makes the orks less about the mob and more about the tactics of the game. Gone are the days of one tacktikal doctrine (charge and krump) and now it is about maneuver, effect, and counter maneuver.

Almost makes me want to dust off my Saim Hann army, as the new orks play a bit like that now.

Just remember it is a game, and if you can't have fun, then enjoy the other aspects of the hobby like collecting and painting.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2015, 06:26:48 PM »
OD:  I'm still trying to get into the groove of play in 7th, especially with the multiple codex CODEX...you know, a new concept game, a new supplement/codex that builds on the core...very irratating, and expensive.  And...you almost need every ork supplement/dex just to play the army "correctly"...also, let's not get started on how terrible the mob rules are.  I'm all for strategy...it's in my blood from my former military days, but I do miss the simple and effect plans:  see 'em, charge 'em, and krump 'em...Oh well...I know there's no turning back, but come on.  I've been playing regularly since 2nd edition, up to now.  I think it's a problem with how I expect the game to go.

But, I did come up with a fairly decent 1000 pt starter that looked to fare well.  We'll see.

VIVA NECROMANCY THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 teef...nows I can whistle like a champ...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
When you guys figure it out let me know.  I haven't played a 40k game since around October. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
I know what you mean Ollie...  I kinda got out of 40k with 7th edition and rediculous rules...  To me, the FOC was something that kept the game somewhat balanced... With unbound, I think it just got silly... And I'm really disappointed in the new codex... I can't understand why orks got the  balanced treatment when so many other armies got the over-the-top power gamer mix... 

Anyhow, I still enjoy my models and I'll give the game another go for fun...  I don't expect to win a lot of games, but I'll still enjoy dusting off the old choppa and giving it a go! :)

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »
Only two styles of games I enjoyed in 7th are objective ones with cards and apocalypse.   Regular games I wouldn't even play because we are so unbalanced this edition.  They took everything away that made the army fun to play.   Moving lootas to heavy really hurt.  Boyz got whiffed and our armor and armor in general is so easy to HP out. 

Tactical cards are great because bring what army you want those objectives screw up all sorts of plans.  Many times you have to just play for the objective which totally goes against your instinct and feels ackward as all hell. 

Apocalypse is just fun.  Kill stuff.  Having a whole team of people balances out the evils in the new codex and the stompa with increased KFF mek from Waaaagh Ghaz supplement is a bear for people to deal with.  4++ inv, yes please. 

Aside from that lords of war are too cheesy for most basic games so even if i could bring a stompa I wouldn't.  I wouldn't even have any desire to play a regular game of 40k right now.  The objectives though make the game interesting and is the only way to play.   Though I suggest using the ork ones if you can, because several of the ones in the regular deck are not geared toward orks, especially the psychic stuff. 

They need to dump psychic phase, hull points, and challenges IMHO.  Challenges and psychic phase are pure fantasy as well as overwatch which should be an option.  (either shoot your turn or over watch).  HP's messed vehicles up in all sorts of ways and are way too easy to get.  Pretty much anything under armor 14 gets boned by HP's. 

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
angel makes some valid points. but unless you have days to play the 'quick' game is still fun.

and i think everyone knows the green wombles are sloppy. so. house rules.

we have houseruled EVERY vehicle up one AV on its front armour to a maximum of 14 - except heavy skimmers. makes a huge difference to vehicle survivability and has brought tracked and wheeled vehicles back into the game. walkers get the boost to both front and side v shooting but not in combat.

appreciate that house rules dont carry over to open competition - but think most of us play in small groups most of the time

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
The more I'm reading into the rules, the less excited I'm getting as well... It seems like GW is really going the "we'll let you take whatever you want, so will buy models" route with armies...  What is the point of an FOC is you can take as many as you want! Allies, no need to choose one army, take two!

The orks, it seems GW said, "wow, things are really getting out of hand, let's start nerfing!"

I'll play my orks for fun, fully expecting to get the tar kicked out of me... That's about the best that can be done with these rules and this game... I'm really unimpressed with the direction 40k is going...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »
About two or three editions ago, the eldar went through the same thing. They got seriously nerfed. I won't go into the details as I would exceed the space limits of this post. The orks have had the same thing happen to them in this edition.

The cure: MSU's. Multiple, small, units. Thats right, the hoard is gone, and it is very sad as according to fluff and history, that is what makes an ork army. Now, to play a game with a chance of actual victory, you have to go with many, many, small units. Truck boys now number only 10, as they are nob delivery system. Kopta and buggy squads are now only one or two per squadron. Bikers are the bare bones three as they too are the nob delivery ablative casualties.

I could go on and on and on, but it will not change anything in the codex, and if we ever see those writers at a con, then we need to berate them and injure their ego.

Lucky for me, at my local there are bucket loads of marine players. Marines seem overly popular this edition. So many players that we have to have small games so everybody gets a turn to play. This is how I found out that the orks do well with MSUs, at 500 points the orks are very competitive, at 1500 the orks are found wanting and are just basically target practice for the other armies out there. Unless you have three 500 point armies, then the orks are again a threat to the enemy in regular size games.

Now, this seems to work well with my speed freak army. I do not know if it would work with a Kan wall or rolling thunder army build. You all will have to try it and let us know.

Don't get me wrong, I am not the undefeated champion of the game board, I am actually averaging about 50/50 for the win/didn't lose stats, so it is still fun but not WAAC. Also, since I am in a new area I only get to play once a week now, as opposed to my multi games a week at my last location.

So, you kan wall types, try the MSU army and let us know how you do.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2015, 07:26:19 AM »
the new 'mob' rule is the biggest problem for MSU - so taking most units without morale limitations seems prudent.

ive seen skeeters list on another thread and it looks like fun -  ;)

ive run a variant at 1750 [cos thats wot we mostly play]

8 trukkz
3 with 5 tankbustas
5 with boyz - 3 with claw-nobz + heavy armour - 2x skinny 12's as distraction / screening
and then the subtlety - warbosses on bikes - they run behind the trukks - they are T6 which protects them from most blasts - then they join the units after they disembark and 'lead' the charge - suddenly acquiring 10  ablative wounds ! characters can 'join' a unit any time in the movement phase so with a 12" move they can 'go' where most effective.

and then some grot artillery for anti-blob and some rokkit-buggies for rear area clearing

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 8, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
About two or three editions ago, the eldar went through the same thing.

Yeah, I remember the loss of the old Craftworld codex, and the outlandish point tax of Starcannons while they simultaneously lost a shot.  There certainly are times that I miss my old Alaitioc Disruption Table.  But that's neither here nor there.

I do see the concept of MSU working well for various 40k armies, but I've had no luck with the technique for the greenskins.  I do (as pretty much always) applaud your vast Trukk armada and success with them, but the Trukks have been even worse deathtraps for me in the new Dex, in large part from Mob Rule.  I suppose the trick is 2-3 Force Org charts filled to the brim with Trukkboyz to offset, but that is a bit of ridiculousness.

Switching gears, I'll try to say the positive things that I really dig about the codex...
  • Buggies/trakks get Outflank, cheaper, free rokkits, and a larger max size
  • Kans can come in 6 packs
  • Don't have to utilize IA8 for an HQ Painboss
  • While a bit too point heavy for my taste, SAG Bikers are totally a thing
  • Morkanought/Gorkanought looks unbelievably cool when lit up by LED's as evidenced by AoD
  • Tankbustas lost their ineptitude and gained a way to net us an extra VP for First Blood
  • Ere We Go is now more than just a 2nd Edition book and great Orky phrase, it helps a ton with random charge ranges, now if only I had better luck when it came to those rolls
  • Big Gunz... err Mek Gunz are cheaper and just as strong, and the three new variants are interesting (although I've been sticking with my tried and true Kannons)
  • MegaNobz can get Bosspoles, which they really needed last codex
Well I've tried my best and that's what I've managed when it comes to positivity.  Its always hard when the codex is against you, and truthfully when the bad Eldar came out I moved away from my pointy ears, and when the 4th (or was it 5th?) Ed CSM came out taking away the Word Bearers and Night Lord rules I left Chaos in the dust.  But I'm determined to not do that with the Orkz.  I WILL find a way to make it work.

if we ever see those writers at a con, then we need to berate them and injure their ego.
This codex is just another reason why they no longer print the names of the writers.  Truth be told though if I ever get a chance to ask Phil Kelly a question it'd be: "Who on the writing staff of Codex Orks thought they were overpowered to the point they had to be [censored]?"  Anyone should feel free to insert whatever you feel is necessary if you get the chance to ask him first.

Its likely that the Orks really need Formation dataslates that go a long way in helping them become a cohesive and strong force, just like Nids.  Without Rising Leviathan and Shield of Baal 1, they were incredibly lackluster.  And while I know there is the Ghaz suppliment as well as parts 1 and 2 of Sanctus Reach, I haven't been able to bring myself to drop the cash on them (or see any Sanctus Reach things in person).

I have however heard that there is a Green Tide esque formation similar to the one from Apocalypse Reloaded, which could go a ways towards bringing back my horde.  Is it me grasping at straws, well possibly.  I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I'm at the point where I'd try an Unbound list (if my local meta wasn't so opposed to Unbound).  Which again is likely grasping at straws, but with Unbound and another giant 8 foot sheet of plasticcard I could remake my old KoS from 3rd Edition and resurrect my old Buggies from Hell army, with the added bonus of even more buggies (because the 3rd Edition one with only 18 wasn't enough).

Peace
~OD

Edit Post Script: Mork and Gork help me if I do resurrect my Buggies from Hell army, not only would it look better due to the leap of my conversion skill over the past ten or so years, but upon doing the math a 1500 point army could have 60 buggies!  I'm practically frothing at the mouth with that concept!
« Last Edit: April 8, 2015, 08:02:26 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 8, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
OD, I have all those books, and most of those formations are for kan wall/green tide players. You might be happy with them as I know you are a dread head player. (you have more kans/dreads than I have trucks and buggies)

Now the Ghaz supplement has the green tide army, it is the same as the one listed in the Apoc book. So, you know what that does. It also has the kan wall, really similar to the one in the Apoc book as well, except it makes you to "add in" the mork/gork anought (or both).

The only downside that I see for you is that kans take LD tests now. So you will have to take a stompa to make them fearless, or barring the points limitation, some sort of leadership tool to keep them from standing around. Maybe take the Gorkanought and have the big mek with a boss pole ride in it. I will have to look it up about the nought/dread/kan thing to see if they can join other units as it does have an character but it is a vehicle. Hmmm, research project for the day.

I still haven't met anyone this edition who plays kan wall, (yet) so, I don't know what that army is capable of. I am waiting for someone from this forum to try them out and post some info for the others who still frequent this board.

ive seen skeeters list on another thread and it looks like fun -  ;)

ive run a variant at 1750 [cos thats wot we mostly play]

davethemadorc; good to see we are getting a new speed freak to the board. I was worried that I might have to send the ork inquisition out to get some conversions to the kult, but now I don't have to.  ;D

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 9, 2015, 04:06:48 AM »
I was worried that I might have to send the ork inquisition out to get some conversions to the kult, but now I don't have to.  ;D

I suppose that means my membership in the KoS is officially revoked.  Must be time to bring back the buggy then.

you have more kans/dreads than I have trucks and buggies
You gotta be kidding?  Really?  The 11 Kans from scrapyard + the 6 Dreadfexs from the other scrapyard, the Morkanought from Getz R Done and the two new Nid Dreads... you know I totally didn't realize I have 20 walkers.  Wow, no wonder I lost my membership to the KoS. 

When it comes down to it, KanWall has been loosing steam since the release of 6th Edition.  Hull Points were a huge negative hit for them, the KFF faq limiting its range of protection, and the new Cowardly Grots rule all have contributed their own nails in the coffin.  I suppose I have to give it a shot though, what with someone needing to try and hold up the tradition.

While it is something I'm going to have to try, at the moment I have an Unbound List I'd love some input on.  As it is Unbound that makes it really hard for me to get an opponent down to play against, but I suppose I can figure that part out after I build a bunch of new vehicles.

Buggies from Hell! 1999pts
Main Force
3 SAG Biker Meks each with an Ammo Runt
8 Rokkit Buggies
8 Big Shoota Buggies
2 Big Trakks each w/2 Big Shootas, Flakkagunz, Ard Case, and Riggers
2 Big Trakks each w/2 Big Shootas, Big Lobba, and Riggers
Grot Mega Tank w/ Twin Grotzooka, Twin Rokkit, 3 Big Shootas

Outflanking/Reserve Force
2 Dakkajets each w/3 twin Supa Shootas
6 Rokkit Buggies
6 Big Shootas Buggies
4 KMB Koptas
3 Skorcha Trakks

Each model is of course its own unit, MSU to the max.  Is it a super competitive list?  No, not at all.  But it'd be a hoot to play.  Of course any ideas on making it a bit more crunchy while maintaining the fluffyness of the buggy horde are completely welcome

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: April 9, 2015, 04:08:56 AM by OD from TV »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
Now that looks like a really fun list. I must correct my statement about kans and dreads. Since you only have 20 then I guess I have more trucks and buggies than you have kans/dreads. I have 15 buggies and 9 trucks, so that means you have more kans/dreads to build (one squadron of kans should do it).  ;D

As for your list, it looks like a buzzsaw getting ready to rip through the trees, downright scary...

If/when you find and opponent to take you on you will please let us know how you do. Maybe even a picture or three.

I have tried a few unbound lists, and find that when I do my opponent takes an unbound list as well. This leads to some serious cheese on the table, (like an army of 8 dread knights) but it is all for fun and a change from the "routine". Just add in a story, like the orks are invading the enemy training planet, or something along those lines and you will make it a fun game.

Since you have no troops, make a way to not worry about objectives, like just kill points or getting units across the board, etc. etc. This way you can play a game without knowing that you "didn't lose" from the get go.

Enjoy, and send picts... My two teef

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »
Well I don't know necessarily if I need to build any more Kans, who am I kidding I will totally scratchbuild 3 more Kans.  As for Objective worry, anything can claim.  Sure I loose out on Objective Secured, but I think I can live with that.

There's part of me trying to wrap my head around how to modify this into multi force org charts, probably with trukkboy troops.  The thing is then it really stops being my classic styled Buggies all the way KoS, but I suppose I could live with it.

Which ultimately I think is the cure for the Ork blues.  Find a way to live with it.  For me its creating a list without a single Ork boy, something that for the entire run of the 4th Edition codex I would never condone or advice.  The adage of Boyz before Toyz no longer applies, and while that is weird, I feel an all Ork vehicle list is going to be the best fun I've had in ages... supposing I don't also have to face that 8 Dreadknight army with it.

Peace
~OD

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
Now you done gone and dood it... I will have to have more buggies to take a BFH list (buggies from hell).
This means more chores so that she who must be obeyed will allow me to spend money on my "silly" toys.

Back to a more serious note, after all serious life altering events, the best treatment is to get stuck back in. IE; fall off a horse/get back on kinda thing. Since we all got knocked off our ork groove, the way to get it back is to get back into the action.

It took me a long time to start winning games again as I tweaked my list over and over, finally finding a workable solution to my speed freak addiction. Sure, I could have caved and went green tide or kan wall or rolling thunder, but, I stuck with my red paint jobs. I made what I have work, just a few changes to both the way I make a list and my thinking of how to play orks.

I admit, that for a while I was sorely tempted to go back to my eldar. Playing the game is fun, and a great distraction from RL, but I do like to win once in a while just so my ego doesn't collapse. Finally after many months, with my nine fast attack list I pulled of a real win, and have stuck to that style list. It is not OTT but it is competitive so that if the dice don't betray me and I don't make newbie mistakes I stand a chance of actually having a win.

Since GW has a tendency to go a long time between Ork codexes, We might as well get used to what we have and get back in the game. Maybe one of us will discover how to make an ork cheese list that is legal and guaranteed to win even at tourney...  ::)

My two teef