News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Using Shadow Spectres  (Read 1837 times)

Offline General Cross

• Armies: Tyranids, Eldar, Salamanders
Using Shadow Spectres
« on: April 9, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
I've just picked up a unit of Shadow Spectres for my army. Just wondering what kinda tactics and uses these guys have in your army. Obviously the 60" S10 Lance has its upside, but does anyone go Terminator Hunting with them or anything?
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing else annoys them more!" - Oscar Wilde

"They're ninja elves in space wearing spandex. Spandex is awesome, if you don't agree wait until you're older." - MWG Joe

Offline Je[st]er

• greets Asphix
Re: Using Shadow Spectres
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
very mobile unit,
use them to snipe high armour tanks from a range and low armour from up close.
and when you move forward with your entire army shoot the heavy infantry to bits.
i dont think this unit will be worth taking in a static army, because they can only shoot once at a large range.
other heavy support is more worthwile taking for lesser points and more fire power.

just my 2cnts.

greets,

jester

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »
After 13 games my spectres have taken out: One rhino.
Yea one rhino.
Penetrating is no problem I just can't roll higher than a 2 for the damage. My opponents tell me they dont fear them at all and they get ignored for the most part.
I have used them to kill termies, they've bagged more of them than vehicles (I actually deep struck them in this game I'm talking about).

First priority IMO is big scary tanks, then MCs finally regular infantry. If there's no viable targets on the field (pure green tide) I'd opt to deep strike them to give you options as the game progresses.

Don't rely on the holofield save  :P

Exarch + cynosure is worth it IMO for such an expensive AT unit to miss the extra points to get these upgrades makes it worth while.

Nice models, just got to buy the Exarch now he's out, probably at the end of the year or when the next Imperial Armour comes out.

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
I've seen them used a couple of times by a local eldar player. For me, they make an all foot, no wraith, no tank list viable, but boy are they expensive. The cynosure is needed to make them really reliable, but what confuses me is that the exarch's prism lance can't be the focus (thereby reducing the potential str by 1). They really need to be busting a tank early doors though, as every wound reduces their efficiency massively. This makes the haywire launcher a very attractive option.

I'm considering a foot army with them and reapers in the heavy slots. Warp spiders and infiltrating scorpions add some speed. Avengers and pathfinders as troops. Should be interesting but I doubt competitive
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline Natinator

• Eldrad - my hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »
Basically from what I've read about them and seen from their rules, I personally would use them as heavy infantry/HQ killers. The high strength weapons hurt, and the relentless coupled with the jetpacks means you can popout from cover, shoot and take cover again all in the same turn, if Im not mistaken... Really IMHO these cover the rolls of the Dark Reapers effectively, making Reapers themselves a pointless choice (if your allowed to use the spectres, obviously) so just use them like Reapers except they can pop-in/out of cover like I mentioned
Who is EPIC? Eldrad, that's who!

Offline _iNK

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:50:04 AM »
Except Dark Reapers have long range guns.. and the Spectres just have short range single shot guns, or 1 long range tank busting shot. So you actually should be using them to take out
Heavy vehicles, like landraiders. Things like predators and vindicators are fair targets aswell. And if you guard them good, say with some scorpions, you can have them firing every turn.
You can't shoot my harlies because beneath their mask is an idea and ideas are bulletproof.

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:44:45 AM »
With the exception of 2+ save models, Reapers do out kill the spectres by miles. When fielding my foot aspect list my opponents fear the reaper to the point of stupidity whilst they ignore the spectres coz of the low damage output.

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
With the exception of 2+ save models, Reapers do out kill the spectres by miles. When fielding my foot aspect list my opponents fear the reaper to the point of stupidity whilst they ignore the spectres coz of the low damage output.

how do you handle tanks with that list? that, for me, was the best part about spectres - not relying on bloody fire dragons.
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:07:20 PM »

how do you handle tanks with that list? that, for me, was the best part about spectres - not relying on bloody fire dragons.

Deep striking warp spiders, Avatar, of course dragons. And in times of desperation intercepting swooping hawks, shining spears, outflanking scorpions and my farseer. So bad needing to rely on these options.  ::)
Add in sheer dumb luck and mediocre opponents.

On a happier note my spectres took out their second vehicle last night. A manticore. First turned stunned it second turn blew it away. Averaging 1 vehicle every 7 games!