News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Drones for Fire Warriors  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Drones for Fire Warriors
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »
My first question is pretty narrow in scope. I'm going to assemble my little box of fire warriors, and was wondering what drones would be wise to stick with them (or build, to at least give me the option of sticking with them).

I see some tactics threads and stuff here, but a lot of it looks a bit out of date, from back in 2007/several editions back.

Any thoughts on what drones are good for what type of fire warrior squad?

I haven't put any real thought into it, but I was thinking maybe a markerlight drone (because marker lights seem pretty amazing), and then a shield drone to try and get some mobile cover?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Drones for Fire Warriors
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Well, I'm a fan of Gun Drones as I *like* them. There's also a formation in Mont'ka that makes them completely sexy.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
The answer is no drones. No Drones at all.

Drones do not adequately supplement a firewarrior squad to justify their cost. Gun Drones are basically just another firewarrior. Marker Drones don't benefit the squad itself and anything you're shooting with FWs should *already* have ML tokens on them before you use them. The Guardian drone save is so poor as to be mostly worthless--just use cover. Shield Drones work best to soak high str/low AP hits on crisis suits, and don't really help against the anti-infantry firepower FWs tend to soak.

Save your points. Drones are useful either in squadrons or as the free ones you get on vehicles  (which are *awesome*).

Offline Elysium126

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »
Mv36 is great for breachers but otherwise just the ds8 turret with sms is all that needed if they are gonna be staying put

Offline Tom Foolery

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »
I was facing the same dilemna. I don't know anything about the Tau, because I haven't even bought the codex yet, but I was trying to figure out which configuration to assemble the drones in. (The 2 they throw in the FW box.)Since I only have 46 figures total, so far, I don't mind a high cost drone to soak up some points. Most people I've talked to so far say a standard gun drone is most favorable.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
If you are sticking them in FW squads, then yeah, the Gun Drone is the best buy. Again, I would advise against doing this at all, but if you've got points literally lying around and nothing left to spend it on...<shrug>.

Incidentally, if you have two boxes of Firewarriors, you ought to have 4 drones. That's a minimum-sized drone squadron, which is a superior choice to just sticking drones in FW units. *Still* not optimal, of course, but early times.

Oh, and get the book. Can't go too far building an army without it.  :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »
Yeah I wouldn't build anything you're not sure how to use. The Drones are so essential to the new Tau (especially Marker Drones) that I'd hold on to them till you knew exactly what type and how you wanted to build them.

Played against a guy with loads of Marker Drones and they were incredibley helpful to him. Save those Drones! You never know till you get the codex how you want to build them :)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »
Played against a guy with loads of Marker Drones and they were incredibley helpful to him. Save those Drones! You never know till you get the codex how you want to build them :)

Marker Drones in squadrons are currently my favorite way to get markerlights into a list. Followed by the Skyray. Everything else either wastes firepower or dies immediately.