News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Big List of Eldar Lists  (Read 37143 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
The Big List of Eldar Lists
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
   Hello and welcome to the Eldar Boards Big List of Eldar Army Lists. With requests for comments on army lists being one of the most popular thread types on these boards it has been suggested that a centralized collection of these threads would make a good starting point for anyone looking for help in creating an army list of any type at any points value and against any opponent. This thread will provide you with an up to date list of proposed army lists as submitted by our members. Each entry in the list will be marked out with the Authors name, army type or theme, points value, playstyle, and hopefully a rating as well (maybe 2 or 3 ratings).
   To make things easy, a post on the first page of this thread will contain the Master List and this list will be maintained by yours truly. As new lists are posted to the board and reviewed, further posts in this thread will be made detailing these additions to the main list. We will update this thread and use a Table of Contents in this post to help direct you to list reviews... Thus you will always be able to find the newest stuff simply by coming to this post, and using the...

Now for a breakdown of the lists headings and how each will be assigned if no information is supplied.

• Authors name: OK... if you click on this, it will take directly to the list being reviewed... but you will be able to see at a glance in the list, who has made the list. We are doing this as some guys are known for their extremely "competitive" or extremely "Fun" lists, or you might find one guy that suits your style better than others.

• Army theme: This will indicate the style of army that the list represents. The ones used will be: Mech, for heavily Mechanized/Mobile lists. Footslogger, for lists relying on a solid immobile or a slow moving fire base. Craftworld ***, for lists using the special theme of a particular Craftworld (Focus on the big five) Hybrid, for those lists that are a mixture of Craftworld/Mech/Footslogger styles. The last could also be described as "misc" and will be the default value if the style is not immediately obvious from the army list.

• Army size: This should be self explanatory, it is the point limit for the army. If no point limit is given then the total value of the army will be used. This may result in some strange entries although I will try to use the common values where possible.

• Stratagy: Another self explanatory entry, this will detail the primary style of play that should be considered when using this list, or it might name an opponent that the list is designed to defeat...

• Ratings -Scores: Now this section will name the person who rated the list, and the score they gave it... some guys use a 5 point rating while others use a 10 point rating... so please read about how each guy does his rating as well looking at the score they give. Oh and if you click on this entry it will take you directly to the section where the list was rated, so you can read all the data, suggestions, etc...

The rating to be used are as follows:
  • Gutstikk's Score (Gut-Score): This is the rating that will be given to the army list which focuses on the overall aspects of the list which also include Fluff, playstyle, and playability; and it will always be out of 5, things covered will be: Background, Composition, Utility, Flexibility, and Ingenuity. *

• moc065 Score (moc-Score): This is the rating that has given to the army list and will always be out of 10; and it will primarily focus on battlefield Effectiveness, with little regard as to Fluff or Flavour. To this end I will be looking for cross-team support and combinations, redundancy of ability, durability of firepower and survivability as a scoring unit coupled with a very critical eye on point effectiveness.

• The Chaplin Swordwind Score (CS-Score): is an overall evalution that considers a balanced look at an armies Potential.  And basically comes down to a 10 point score based on the following: Durability, Flexibility, Lethality, Mobility, and Synergy.

• stezerok Score (stez - Score): is an overall evalution that considers function of an army.  And basically comes down to a 1 point score averaged out with the following in mind: Stratagy, Compostion, and Effeciency.

• Eidolin Score (Eid -Score) is an overall evaluation of game functions and playability of the list as a whole. It gives a variation of up to 2/4 points accordingly for each section rated and is based out of 20.

We are now open for business in regard to 5th Ed List reviews; but please contact us by PM and not in here. Thanks in advance.

A quick request from anyone that does post a list for review, please help us to help you by including the information above (Army Size, Type, and Opposition)so that we can both give you a more accurate review and make it easier to include it in this list. Also, its a good idea to have the fluff, tactica, etc for your list presented with the list itself (or a link to it); and when PM-ing any of us, please just use a Link to your list so that we can go directly to it.... Thanks.

For those of you that are beyond the standard Tactica and such here is a link to "Gutstikk's article on how to build a competitive list within 5th Ed" thread that you may find useful.

If you have a list you wish to have reviewed; feel free to contact any of us
    - moc065, Chaplain Swordwind, or Gutstikk, -
    - or any one of our "Rangers": SeekingOne, azore24, Gwaihir, Dryad, 2quiet, or frosteldar -

Please don't post in this thread, as it *WILL* be deleted if you do. Feel free to PM any of us with a Link to your list for review.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:47:30 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: The Big List of Eldar Lists
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
The Big List of 5th Ed Eldar Army Lists.

Author/List   Theme   Points   Strategy   Ratings - Scores
Kaminari   Shooty/Reserve   1500   Rapier   moc - 6.1/10
Mafty   Mech/Reserve   1500   Flank Rush   moc - 7.3/10
Los   Old School   1500   Flank Rush   moc - 6/10     Guts - 3/5
z3r05k1ll   Hybrid   1500   Hammer & Anvil   moc - 6.4/10
azore24   Ath-Ron   1500   Hammer & Anvil   moc - 7.2/10
forgotten hero   Daefaroth   1500   Gun Line   Guts - 3.75/5   moc - 7.0/10
Thalandir   Biel-Tan   1500   Pincer/Hybrid   moc - 7.0/10
EducatedOgre   Hybrid   1500   Diverse   moc - 6.8/10
Kaminari   Hybrid   1500   Pincer/Hybrid   moc- 7.7/10
HenElt   Hybrid   1750   Working Groups    moc - 6.7/10
Mads R    Hybrid   1750   Kill Teams   moc - 6.6/10
azelexx   Mech / Hybrid   1750   Grind Down   moc - 6.5/10
Lazarus   Reserve/Mech   1750   Flank Rush   moc - 8.3/10
Kaminari   Hybrid   1750   Hammer & Anvil   moc - 7.5/10
Rexl   Hybrid   1850   Classic 1-2 punch/Attrition   Guts - ?/5   moc - 6.80/10
Farseer Phil   Saim-Hann   1850   Denial/Attrition   Guts - ?/5   moc - 7.0/10
Lazarus   Reserve/Mech   1850   Flank Rush   moc - 8.5/10  CS- 9/10
Damon   Ulthwe Foot   1850   Denial/Gun Line   moc - 7.2/10
azelexx   Innovative   1850   Rapier   moc - 6.5/10
DarkStar86   Mech   2000   Flank Rush   moc - 7.1/10
Nileez   Biel-Tan   2000   Flank Rush   moc - 7.4/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Biel-Tan   2000   Hammer & Anvil   moc - 7.5/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Ulthwe   2000   Hybrid / H&A   moc - 6.7/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Biel-Tan   2000   Bahzhakhain   moc - 7.7/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Iyanden   2000   Ground & Pound   moc - 7.8/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Alaitoc   2000   Scout/Pin   moc - 6.6/10
Chaplain Swordwind   Saim-Hann   2000   Ground & Pound   moc - 6.9/10
Aliadraihas   Hybrid   2000   Old School   moc - 6.0/10
Grunty   Biel-Tan   2000   Hybrid - Old School   moc - 6.6/10

CaHG
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:52:41 AM by moc065 »

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
Saim-Hann or Mechanized lists reviewed

Author/List   Theme   Points   Strategy   Ratings - Scores
DunedainMech/Reserve1500Flank Rushmoc - 7.2/10
POC Saim-HannSaim-Hann1750Rapiermoc - 7.5/10Eid 14/20
PartninjaMech w/JB Council1750Flank Rushmoc - 7.1/10Eid - 13.5/20
Flank Rush Eldar Mechanized2000Reserve/Flank Rushmoc - 6.9/10CS - 7/10
BlazinghandMechanized2000Hammer & Hammermoc - 7.3/10

Please note that when not available, some members of POC Saim-Hann will be doing the actual rating, I will only be updating the list and will show there names as well...

GoofyCommy (GC - Score) will be assisting me in some of these endeavors so that I have more time for my family.
Chaplin Swordwing (CS - Score)
Eidolon (Eid - Score)

CaHG
« Last Edit: November 8, 2010, 08:56:12 AM by moc065 »

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »
POC EO 5th ED ARMY REVIEWS
Army lists rated by Stezerok and Gutstikk

Author   Theme   Points   Strategy   Rated by   Score
Farseer PhilSaim Hann1850Denial/AttritionGutstikk3.0
SchrodingerMech Eldar1000Denial/AttritionGutstikk3.75
bebeIyanden1250Hammer/AnvilGutstikk3.5
Farseer JenkinsUlthwe2000MechanizedStezerok.775/1
bebe
Iyanden1500HybridGutstikk4.5
eidolon
seer council2000mechGutstikk2.0
LOSmech1500Flank RushGutstikk3.0
funkyfellowAlaitoc1850Net and SpearGutstikk4.0
funkyfellowAlaitoc1850Reserve HybridGutstikk4.25
ReX 1850Tournament InfantryGutstikk3.5

upcoming:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:03:30 PM by Gutstikk »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
POC Biel-Tan critiques for 5th ed armies
Army lists rated by Chaplain Swordwind

Author   Theme   Points   Strategy   Rated by   Score

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 08:11:28 PM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »
A note on getting army critiques:

-Lists must be posted in the Eldar Tactics, Strategies, and Army Lists forum.
An Eldar list appearing elsewhere shouldn't be generating discussion about the list itself, or it would be posted here.

-Notify one of the army list raters via pm that you have a list that you wish to be rated.
Do not post in this thread seeking a review, as such posts will be removed.

-Include a link to your army list in your pm.
You KNOW how many lists get posted on this site daily, we'll never find it without a link.

-Lists seeking critique should be fairly well complete.
There's really not a whole lot of point in critiquing a list that you want to revise a whole lot. That being said, you may intend to do some final revision after the critique is completed and your army list rated. But a list that looks incomplete probably won't get rated.

-Format your list legibly, and be clear about unit sizes and upgrades.
To some, 6 scorpions and an exarch means 6 models total, to some it means 7 models total. SC as a heavy weapon upgrade could be a star cannon or shuriken cannon. Try to avoid confusion.

-Tell viewers about the list in the army list itself.
If you have spent a lot of points on an odd strategy, without us knowing what the strategy looks like we have to assume you don't know what you're doing. Be clear about how the list should operate, where you plan on fielding it, who it's suppoesed to fight, etc.

Follow these guidelines and things should work out beautifully. Failure to do so usually results in no review, a bad review, or a pile of excuses in your army list thread, and in every case, wasted time and effort. Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:52:11 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »
Gutstikk's 5th ed rating system:

Background: Theme, theatre, enemy and goals will each be worth .25 pts

Composition:
1 - FOC slot variation - a roughly equal distribution of choices along the FOC
2 - Unit variation - avoids unit repetition and utilizes units with a variety of roles
3 - Scoring units - essentially, requires 1 scoring unit per 500 pts
4 - Kill Points - no more than 1KP + 3 KP for each 500 pts or part thereof [so 13 KPs at 2000 pts, or 7 at 750, etc]

Utility:
.25 - each unit's main function is specified
.25 - each unit has no unnecessary upgrades
.25 - each unit can reasonably expect to accomplish its primary goal in 1 round
.25 - each unit is optimized for morale

Flexibility:
.25 - army as a whole exhibits unit role redundancy
.25 - units in army can perform multiple roles [secondary roles listed with unit]
.25 - army has a mix of shooting and combat, quality and quantity
.25 - army has multiple means of deployment/engagement

Ingenuity - a strategic write-up that includes:
.25 - a battleplan of some sort, hopefully with a list of turn goals [by turn 1...]
.25 - recognition of your army's weaknesses
.25 - combos and unit synergies explicitly described
.25 - something new that I haven't seen attempted frequently.

What scoring indicates:
A score of 1 is probably ineffective
A score of 2 needs a bit more work
A score of 3 is a good list
A score of 4 is a very good list
A score of 5 is totally above and beyond
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 11:03:39 AM by Gutstikk »

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
Chaplain Swordwind's Army Rating System

Armies can earn up to ten total points based on how the army list measures up to my five “Army Attributes”.  Up to two points will be awarded per attribute as follows:

Durability:  Can this army survive?

I used to figure this out unit by unit, with a calculator.  Now the score is more intuitive, though it is still based (intuitively) on the stats of the units in the list.  Wraithguard are more durable than Guardians, and Holo-Falcons will survive better than War Walkers.  The Durability score of the army reflects my overall assessment of how tough it would be to wipe out in an Annihilation battle.

0:  This army is made of wet toilet paper.  Nothing will hold it together.
.5:  This army’s like a house of cards; it looks good, but a stiff breeze would utterly destroy it.
1:  A few tough units, but as a whole the army is vulnerable to piecemeal destruction.
1.5:  Most of this army will require considerable effort to destroy.
2:  This army is unlikely to suffer significant casualties, unless facing a list custom built to destroy it.

Flexibility:  Can this army adapt to different missions and different opponents?  Can it overcome bad deployment, unexpected disruption, or the loss of a key unit?

Flexibility represents my opinion of the army list’s ability to adapt and overcome.  Lists that are built specifically for fighting one particular type of mission or opponent will generally not score as well as an “All Comers” list.  Likewise, armies that lack any redundancy will suffer.  If you rely on one specific unit to fulfill a task, and have no other capable of stepping up when that unit dies, you will not earn full points in this category.

0:  If my opponent never deploys anything, I might be able to win.
.5:  This army can win if everything goes exactly according to plan.
1:  I can win as long as the “Dice God” favors me.
1.5:  This list can overcome unexpected setbacks, and does not rely on any particular unit to win the game.
2:  Any mission, any opponent, any time, any where.  No problem.

Lethality:  Can this army destroy the opposition?

Like Durability, I used to determine this score with a calculator.  I now award these points based on an intuitive grasp of how much damage output the list is capable of.  How long would it take this army to wipe out an opposing army of equal points?  Would the composition of the enemy army (Swarm, MEQ, Mechanized, Nidzilla) make a significant difference?

0:  This list lacks any significant offensive capability.  The opponent is more likely to kill themselves than be killed by this army.
.5:  This list is unlikely to cause enough damage to influence the opponent’s strategy in any meaningful way.
1:  This army can make its presence felt.
1.5:  Here comes the pain!
2:  You see the pool of goo over there?  That’s all that is left of my last opponent.  Who’s next?

Mobility:  Is this army able to project force as needed, anywhere on the board?

I previously based this score on nothing more than the movement rate of the units that make up the list.  However, I have come to realize that not all slow units impair the overall mobility of an army.  If, for example, a unit is capable of firing indirectly from one corner of the board to the opposing corner, it never has to move; but it can apply pressure anywhere it needs to.  Therefore, this category now reflects the ability of an army list to project force over a distance.  How many turns does it take this army to put pressure on the furthest reaches of the board?

0:  Due to limited range and speed, this army will have significant trouble applying force where it is most needed.
.5:  This army might be able to project force anywhere on the table, but only a few units are capable of getting it done, and possibly not until after it’s too late.
1:  This army has enough range and mobility to effectively contest any part of the board.
1.5:  This army’s mobility is a significant asset.  It is likely capable of outmaneuvering most opponents.
2:  This army is so mobile, it seems capable of striking wherever and whenever it needs to, with enough force to overwhelm any opposition.

Synergy:  Are the units that make up this army mutually supportive?

Army cohesion is vital to battlefield success.  Units that compliment each other can cover each other’s weaknesses, making each one stronger and more effective than it would be on its own.  Some units or independent characters (like Farseers) can provide direct boosts to those around them; and some create redundancy, preventing the failure of a particular task due to the loss of a specific unit.  Synergy reflects the overall cohesive strength of the army.

0:  This army seems to totally lack focus.  The units appear to be chosen at random, with no thought towards achieving any objective.
.5:  This army has a few units that clearly fill a supporting roll, but appears to lack overall cohesion.
1:  This army has some units that compliment each other well.
1.5:  This army looks like a cohesive fighting force.
2:  The synergy in this army is amazing.  The units compliment each other well, and provide redundancy where it is needed.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Bear in mind that these five categories are inter-related.  Armies with good Synergy are like to be more durable that those without.  Likewise, highly mobile armies will generally be more flexible than those that are more static.  Also, please note that these scores are subjective, based on my assessment of the army list you provide.  A well written tactics section can significantly improve my opinion of your list, so be sure to include one.  Tell me why you chose the units that appear in the list, what you expect to accomplish with them, and how this supports your overall strategy.

An average army will achieve an overall score of five out of ten points.  Lists I consider “competitive” will score no less than seven.  Lists that score more than eight points will be rare.

An example of the application of this system:

I will now apply this system to a sample army list.  This is the army list I have put forth as a suggestion for new players interested in starting a Biel-Tan Army:

(155) Farseer w/ Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom & Fortune.

(162) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Power Weapon, Shimmershield & Defend.

(152) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Dual Avenger Catapults & Bladestorm.
(145) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Bright Lances & Spirit Stones.

(118) Howling Banshees x6.  Exarch w/ Executioner.
(145) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Bright Lances & Spirit Stones.

(123) Striking Scorpions x6.  Exarch w/ Scorpion’s Claw.

Total: 1000 pts.
35 Models: 33 Infantry, 2 Vehicles.
2 Scoring Units, 7 Kill Points

Score:

Durability:  1 point

In the hands of a noob a score of 0.5 would probably be more appropriate; but knowing how to mutually support the units, a player could expect this army to stand up well against an opposing army of equal strength.  Piecemeal destruction is the key phrase of the rating system that determines the Durability of this list.

Flexibility:  1 point

The list does not depend on any particular unit to win the game, but due to the fragile nature of the units, it will not handle unexpected setbacks well.  If the Wave Serpents are destroyed, this army will be unable to deal with enemy armor assets.  Thus, some favorable dice rolling will be needed to carry the day.

Lethality:  1.5 points

This army can definitely make its presence felt.  It will struggle against certain armies, such as Nidzilla or an army with multiple heavy vehicles, but at only 1000 points, those armies are not very common.  Therefore, this list should be able to inflict considerable pain on any opposition it faces.

Mobility:  1 point

Thanks to some fast transports, this list is able to reach out and contest any part of the table.  However, because half the army is stuck on foot, without significant range on their weapons, mobility is not considered a major asset of the army as a whole.

Synergy: 1 point

This army definitely has units that compliment each other.  The mounted Dire Avengers, when teamed with the Howling Banshees and the Doomseer, can effectively destroy just about any infantry they encounter.  Their vehicles allow them to quickly redeploy wherever they are needed.  As for the dismount squads; the Dire Avengers can occupy an objective, and tarpit any unit that seeks to take it from them.  Meanwhile, the Striking Scorpions can be positioned to counter attack any offending unit.  The clear division of purpose between the mounted and dismounted units shows why the army does not earn an additional half point; it was not designed to function as a cohesive whole, but as two distinctly separate battle groups.

Total Army Score:  5.5 out of 10 points.  A good starter army, with room for improvement by adding units that fit how the new player’s gaming style develops.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:27:52 PM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
Ok, well since everyone else is doing it, I'll put up my scoring system.

I've decided that I'm going to score lists in total out of 1 or for you math nerds 100%. My analysis will be based on five categories (which I will describe in a moment), for which I give a rating out of 1 and then I will combined those scores and average them. My reason being that some players will design their lists with specific things in mind. For some it's aesthetics, for others it's fluff, and for others it's plain and simple competitiveness. Based on this it does not make sense to "penalize" certain lists for not detailing their fluff, or even for making sub-optimal choices in order to match their fluff, and for these lists I will tailor the categories for which I rate them. This rating system is completely subjective, and I won't give values for meeting specific criteria. This way I can tailor my rating to the given qualities of the list.

Categories:
For each of the following categories I will ask these questions:

Strategy:
Do they have a specific goal to achieve victory? Do they have a specific style or method of obtaining this goal? Is this method viable? Does it take into account the three main objective types? In this regard, is there a balance of Scoring/Non-Scoring, and tough units/easy Kill Points?

Composition:
Does their Form lead to Function? -or- Do their unit choices make sense for their Strategy? How flexible is the list? Is it easily knocked off balance, or can the list maintain composure given their Strategy is foiled? Is there a balance of units? Or if their Strategy requires an emphasis in one area, do they have a sustainable means of making up for their weakness?

Efficiency: Does the Form of each individual unit lead to it's Function? -or- Do their OPTION choices make sense for their units purpose? Do they have a balance of Anti-Tank, both ranged, and up-close? Do they have a balance of Anti-Light Infantry, or Anti-Heavy Infantry firepower? Do they have a balance of Close Combat units?

Theme:
Do they have a well described background? Is their fluff consistent with Eldar canon? Does their theme match their Strategy and/or Composition?

Ingenuity:
Is their Theme/Strategy unique? Are their option choices exotic or different from usual? Do these choices detract from the overall effectiveness of the army?

So to show you what I mean by my averaging system, lets say I have two armies. One of them is designed to simply be a fun, competitive army. The other is clearly designed to be a unique, fluff driven list. For the more competitive list, I'll grade it only using the categories of Strategy, Composition, and Efficiency. For the more Fluff driven list, I'll grade it using Strategy, Composition, Theme, and Ingenuity. Or any combination of Strategy+Composition+any other categories.

To give an example, I'll grade the 1750 pts list that I currently use given the models that I have.

Farseer: /w doom, fortune, spirit stone, and runes of warding: 145 pts
Autarch: /w power weapon, fusion gun, and mandiblasters: 100 pts

Striking Scorpions (10): /w exarch, /w scorpions claw, shadowstrike, and stalker: 212 pts
Fire Dragons (6): /w exarch, /w tank hunter and crack shot: 128 pts

Dire Avengers (10): /w exarch, /w power weapon and shimmershield, defend, and bladestorm: 177 pts
Waveserpent: /w twin-linked bright lance, shuriken cannon, and spirit stone: 155 pts
Dire Avengers (10): /w exarch, /w power weapon and shimmershield, defend, and bladestorm: 177 pts
Guardians (10): /w starcannon, and warlock, /w embolden: 135 pts
Guardians (10): /w scatter laser, and warlock, /w embolden: 125 pts

Vyper: /w shuriken cannon, and shuriken cannon: 60 pts

Falcon: /w Eldar missile launcher, shuriken cannon, holofield, and spirit stone: 190 pts
Wraithlord: /w 2x flamers, wraithsword, and bright lance: 140 pts

Total Points: 1744 pts
Total Models: 60 infantry, 3 tanks, and 1 monstrous creature

So for this list, I would see that the author "myself" did not design the list with any fluff, or theme in mind. Rather these are the units he has currently available, and this is how he decided to structure them. Thus I would grade this list on Strategy, Composition, and Efficiency, as clearly the intent was not to go for theme or ingenuity.

Strategy: This sample list does not have a particular game plan or strategy which it plays to. It is a rather generic hammer/anvil style, but leaves itself plenty of space to wiggle around in and adapt to the enemy. It has a strong level of Troops for an Eldar army, with 2 units of Avengers, and 2 units of Guardians, but leaves enough room for support units to get the job done. It is quite capable of performing in a variety of different missions, with it's high number of troops, and a wide variety of combinations of unit sub-groups, and it's mix of speed, and deployment options means that it won't be overwhelmed by any one type of deployment. This list would therefore lose out on points for not having a strong gameplan, but would also gain points for having an enormous amount of flexibility both in unit selection, and in it's ability to win a variety of games.

I would rate this a .6 for Strategy

Composition: Despite the lack of a particular goal, the list is allowed so much flexibility and has such a balance of units that causing it to lose composure would require the opponent picking up on such a drastic error on the part of the Eldar player. There are several "weak-links" in the list which an opponent can pick up on, but the overlap of roles allows for a more cohesive force that can adapt to a variety of situation, including the loss of particular specialized units.

I would rate this a .7 for Composition

Efficiency: The list has a great balance of units, with Striking Scorpions as devoted Close Combat, Fire Dragons as devoted Anti-Tank, and Dire Avengers as devoted anti-Infantry. The inclusion of units like the Autarch, Starcannon/Scatter Laser guardians, Sword-Lord, Shuriken Vyper, and the Bright Lance/EML for the two tanks round off the list as a whole, allowing for the Eldar player to hunt tanks, kill infantry, or assault the enemy in a variety of ways. The list loses out in that many of these option are not the most efficient at doing any one job, however the flexibility it adds ensures that loss of any particular aspect will not hinder the list too greatly.

I would rate this a .7 for Efficiency

Now with ratings of .6 in Strategy, .7 in Composition, and .7 in Efficiency the list averages out to a .66 out of 1.

I hope that this was not too confusing, but if it is, then just look at the first few lists I rate to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Good Hunting,
-Stezerok

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »
Here is the Run down on the moc-score. The system worked well for me in the past, and I only modified it a little to meet with 5th Ed...

This is the rating that moc065 will give to the army list and will always be between 1 and 10 with: It will primarily focus on battlefield Effectiveness. To this end I will be looking for cross-team support and combinations, redundancy of ability, durability of firepower and survivability as a scoring unit coupled with a very critical eye on point effectiveness. The things evaluated will be as follows:

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as supporting units
2.. Anti-MEQ potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as combo's etc
3.. Anti-Horde potential (up to 1 point given); Mass firepower and Strength as well as combo's
4.. Ranged Firepower potential (up to 1 point given); Low, Mid, and Longe range considered
5.. Assault potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as Holding power
6.. Scoring Units / point level (up to 1 point given); Basic Math here but Min/Max are not always best.
7.. Durability or Resilience (up to 1 point given); VP denial as well as pure toughness, and saves will be considered.
8.. Flexability (up to 1 point given); Ability to react to different opponents
9.. Mission Capabiliy (up to 1 point given); Scenerios and Mission ability
10. Dynamics and/or Theme (up to 1 point given); Overall Synergy and potential as well as Imagination.

Rating = ?/10

Now within the rating, here is how I score things:

Excellent (1): This area is completely covered, as there is virtually no way to improve it without seriously effecting other areas.
Very Good (.9): This area is completely covered; but there are slight modifications or configurations that could be improved on without seriously effecting other areas of the list.
Good (.8 ): This areas is covered well enough as altering it would effect other areas in some adverse way.
Above Average (.7): This area is well covered; but there are a few ways to improve it without damaging other areas.
Average (.6): The area is covered enough for "Fun" play; but there are often several ways to improve it, without damaging the rest of the list.
Slightly Below Average (.5): The area is covered to some extent; but in an indirect way, and it easily be improved on.
Below Average (.4): The area is lacking in several regards, and should be improved on to increase the overall effect of the list.
Well Below Average (.3): The area is basically not covered, or is configured in a way to be in-effective overall.
Poor (.2): The area is virtually non-existant and should be addressed immediately.
Horrible (.1): The area has been ommited and the list suffers dramatically because of it.

CaHG

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
So people, I've been asked to do some Ratings, so I'm on the train now, so to speak, so anyone with Lists to rate are welcome to PM me a finished list and I shall oblige. I can rate any kind of list, although I obviously specialize in Wraith armies.

Also, as I find there's already enough scoring systems around to cover most aspects of army making, I shall use the moc-Score as a basis to judge Lists, as I am confortable enough with the concept.
Keep in mind that while I use the moc-Score it doesn't mean my Ratings will be the same as moc065's - Indeed, after doing some blind Ratings by myself and then comparing the results with those of moc, I found that I was often a bit more harsher when it comes to Score. ;)

Starky

Iyanden/Wraith heavy lists reviewed

Author/List     Theme     Points     Strategy     Ratings - Scores
bebe     Iyanden Hybrid     1250     Hammer & Anvil     Starky - 7.1
haunt     Iyanden Hybrid     1750     Hammer & Anvil   Starky - 7.2

Other lists reviewed

Author/List    Theme    Points    Strategy    Ratings - Scores
Farseer Jenkins     Ultwhé     2000     Mechanised   Starky 7.9

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:50:26 AM by Starrakatt »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gutstikk

• Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:27 PM »
The Big List of 4th ED Eldar Army Lists.

Author
Size
Type
Enemy
Gut-Score
moc-Score
CS-Score
Lists
Drizzle
Hybrid
All
?/10
View list
Code Black
Saim-Hann
All
?/10
View list
Sanctjud
MEQ Eldar
All
View list
Mellchia
Iyanden
All
View List
ant7
Laer'Shad
All
?
View List
Chaplain Swordwind
Ulthwe
Anti-Swarm
View list
Tango Down
Altansar
All
?/10
View list
azore24
Ath-Ron
All
?/10
View list
Calseris
Saim-Hann
All
?/10
View list
Dryad
Ulthwe
All
?/10
View list
tzeenchling
Hybrid
All
?
View list
small_fury_spider
Hybrid
Comp
?
View list
Gutstikk
Ryleina
All
?/5
View list
Magical Beans
Crone World
All
?/10
View list
moc065
Saim-Hann
Campaign
View list
Educated Ogre
Hybrid
All
?/10
View list
f.desrochers
Iyanden
All
?/5
?
View list
cdpia
Hybrid
All
?
View list
Wuestenfux
Mech Eldar
Comp
?
View list
Kaminari
Alaitoc
Competative
?/10
View list
Lazarus
Mech Eldar
Competative
?/10
View list
Gwaihir
Iyanden
Competative
View list
Starrakatt
Iyanden
Competative
?/10
View list
Shinrathir
Biel-Tan
All
?/10
View list
Agelmar
Foot Slogger
Comp
?
View list
rcm2216
Hybrid
Comp
?/5
?
View list
Shinrathir
Balanced
All
?
View List
Chaplain Swordwind
Biel-Tan
All
View list
Halfpast_Yellow
Alaitoc
All
View list
Gwaihir
Iyanden
Comp
?
View list
Lazarus
Hybrid
Tournament
?/10
View list

Please note that ratings of 4th Ed Eldar list have come to an end, as we prepare for the 5th Edition Rule Set.

CaHG

Offline Gutstikk

• Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »
The Big List of 4th Eldar Army Lists Continued:

Author
Size
Type
Enemy
Gut-Score
moc-Score
CS-Score
Lists
Zaccone
Hybrid
Tourney
View list
Shinrathir
Balanced
All
?
View List
Mellchia
Iyanden
All
View List
ant7
Laer'Shad
All
?
View List
Zaccone
Saim-Shelwe
all
?
View List
Xebadir
Hóstgä Ightninglé
Tourney
View List

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 02:17:49 AM »
Alright I have a list review system down. Im basing it on all kinds of factors that I find important in 40k, so it has some of what I think are some of the less obvious parts of competitive play. 2 points per area, in .5 increments. so 0-2, with .5, 1, and 1.5 being the other 3 possibilities. Obviously some units can fit multiple categories. TH/SS terminators would get you points in both the tough and the heavy hitting categories for example. And in most sections people will get partial credit, its a given that there are few lists that are perfect. And most things will be compared to your standard archetypes. How a list performs against 3 monoliths is not a huge deal as very few people run 3 lith armies.

1-redundancy. Any good army should have a fair amount of units that can do the same job. If your only unit capable of hurting a land raider is a lone fire dragons squad you are in trouble. Points are awarded not only for multiple units able to do something but different types of unit. Long range stuff like railguns/lances and melta guns for raider killing as an example.

2-hand to hand ability. Simple overview of the lists hand to hand capabilities. Having a single hand to hand unit is bad, even if its a death star type unit. Multiple hand to hand units, speed/toughness of those units to ensure they reach hand to hand, and ability to kill multiple things is good.

3-ranged ability. Almost same as hand to hand. Ability of army to kill stuff at range, and kill multiple types of units. In addition ability to avoid combat either through tarpit or speed will be factored in. Finally we have toughness and ability of units to keep firing as a consideration.

4-Speed. One of the most important factors in 5th edition. How quickly the army can jet around the table top is key here. Not only though is point A to point B speed factored in, but disrupting speed and strange deployment options. Drop pod marines, lots of outflankers, fleet of foot etc.

5-Toughness. How hard the army is to kill off. This has a number of things brought into consideration. Transports, various toughness of the transports, either from armor and weird things like energy fields and KFF, or just sheer numbers. Toughness of infantry is also key. Finally we have to take into account the redundancy of the list and numbers of things it plops down on the table across from you. And then you have the whole kryptonite issue. A raider rush is great until it hits 6 broadsides with marker lights. The list has to be able to survive against multiple opponents and types of armies.

6-Disruption. The hardest one to judge. Ability of the army to generally disrupt the enemies plans and units. Stuff like the deceiver, runes of warding and psychic hoods, mystic inquisitors, null zone, outflankers and deep strikers all come into play here. The harder it is to plan against this army the better.

Cumulative section. These are largely from the other 6, but are worth 4 points each, as they are the most important. They dont stand on their own, but are representative of the armies function on table top.

7-Objective taking ability. Last turn objective grabs with speedy tanks. Sneaky disruption beacons. Just plopping down dudes with FNP and praying. This is the ability of the army not only to hold its own objectives but to take other peoples.

8-killing. Represents the ability of the person to put the hurt on their opponent, as well as chances of outright tabling.

Total then is out of 20 points.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
Great to have you on the Rating Team Eidolon... I look forward to your reviews and ratings.

Cheers

and I look forward to his impending insanity as he grapples with the table structure - gutstikk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:07:16 PM by Gutstikk »