News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Comp list to review  (Read 1455 times)

Offline nevaenuffbass

Comp list to review
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:25:44 AM »
I don't know if anyone is familiar with community comp, but I have a list that I'd like reviewed. Basically community comp penalises multiples of most of the competitive choices (esp wave serpents, warp spiders, fire dragons, farseers; bracketed numbers are the number of comp points each unit costs).
This is a comp 10 list - keen for any feedback:

Farseer (2)
Spiritseer
2 Warlocks
2 x 20 guardians, 2 heavy weapon platforms (what weapons would you run?)
3 x jetbikes, 1 shuriken cannon
6 fire dragons (1), wave serpent, holo / scatter, underslung s/cannon (1)
5 wraithguard (1), wave serpent, holo / scatter, underslung cannon (3)
10 warp spiders (1)

Over 55 models (1)

10 comp points, 1493 points
Community comp info is on a facebook page, oddly enough called community comp.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Comp list to review
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:54 AM »
This looks very nice to me. You got a ton of psychic support... nice body of troops and well chosen selection of elites. You got anti-infantry covered, fast moving objective grabbers, anti-tank and a nice big variable threat in the 10 man Spider squad. I like it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
IF you get within 12 inches you'll cause some serious pain. I would come up with a plan for an army that can hang 20+ inches away and whittle you down.

I would look at taking scatter lasers on the weapon platforms, give you some extra range.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:40:08 PM »
Not bad at all.

I'm not sure the spirit seer is adding enough value. -I'd be tempted to drop him in favour of a jetbike for the farseer, and beefing your windriders up to 6 for a bodyguard. -gives you another mobile threat, and makes sure your farseer can be casting powers usefully every turn. Plus the extra toughness is gold.

As for weapons platforms, I'd go for brightlances -some ranged anti-tank would be handy for the early turns before you can get your transports into position, and with the serpents, spiders & jetbikes, you have plenty of S6 going on already.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
Is that 2 farseers and a spiritseer? If so, is it 2 different detachments? Other then that, zap!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Thanks for your comments all.

Idea is that spiritseer joins one squad of guardians, farseers joins the others. Spiritseer adds buff options to one, and makes the wraithguard and their serpent scoring.

A long ranged army will be tough to beat, but with battle focus and an aggressive deployment, the guardians are faster than they seem. I'm tending toward lances on the guardians, for ranged threat and for dealing with heavy armour (like russ sqns)

Would love to fit another unit of 3 bikes in but can't figure what to drop (3 spiders or the lances). Might keep the 10 spiders... They are pretty awesome!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
Another bike unit would be nice but I think you need the punch offered by the Spiders. This army doesn't have any high strength, long range fire power... hence I really see you relying on those Spiders.

However you could ditch the guardians and take a couple more bike squads for objective grabbing and take some more offensive units. Maybe a small squad 6 man squad of Swooping Hawks and even a Shadow Weaver battery or a Nightspinner tank (which Tony Kopack a huge tournament winner uses 2 of).
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
After playing the list last night I'm not sure im getting value from all the points invested in psychic powers.

What do you think of this as an alternative?

Autarch, fusion gun (reserve buff is handy)

5 fire dragons
6 fire dragons
10 guardians, bright lance, warlock, serpent scatter/ holo
10 guardians, lance, warlock, serpent scatter/ holo
10 spiders
Falcon, bright lance, holo
Falcon, bright lance, holo
Vauls weapon battery 3 w doom weavers

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »
I don't like this list a much, TBH.
-Autarch isn't adding much here. -the only unit that might benefit from his reserves bonus are the spiders, and they are fast enough to get wherever they need to be within 2 turns anyway.
-Falcons are sub-optimal, and you have 2 of them
-Everythings very fast, apart from the VW battery, which is likely to get isolated very quickly
-Less scoring units
-Lots of duplicates, which is a bit boring IMO.

I think you're right that the first list was over-psyker, one of the reasons I suggested dropping the Spirit seer. Another alternative would be to drop the farseer, and again I would invest the points in more bikes.

My $0.02
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
The reason for the Falcons is because of the comp system - including more than 2 wave serpents is untenable. They are over costed compared to serpents, agreed. 
But they do add long range threat, and combined with serpents can ensure a decent cover / junk save.

The weapon batteries are likely to get isolated, good point. In their defence, they are tough and long ranged. Do you have a recommendation on what to include instead.
Instead of the autarch, I could include a spirit seer. But there is nowhere to put it. The mantle is comped, and I'm out of comp points. Any ideas what to do with gw?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
What happened to the original list? If we know what and how thing failed we might be able to make better recommendations, especially if your going up against the same army again.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
seriously. sub 1750pts wraith units are just too points heavy.

i love fragons and spiderz. but if comp isnt an issue just take gjb {windriders still sounds like bikes after a quick curry}

cant leave out the cheap-tarch for reserve flexibility

and never lv home without at least one walker squadron {unless you are allowed to take kniggits} {in which case just take an army built around kniggits !}