News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sergent options  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Shizukanashi

• Warrior
Sergent options
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
I am starting a Salamander army, to go with my buddies Blood angels and white scars in an upcoming Marines vs Nids Apocolypse battle. 

Can I give a Marine Sergent a combi-flamer and a Powerfirst?  Without wanting to give rules and suffer the wrath of the mods, This is a question of how to interpret the and/or line on page 142 of the codex, under the Sergent options for the Tactical Squad.  Am I to understand that I can get 2 choices off this list, one for the boltgun and another one for the pistol, or does it have to be one or both, gets me one options from the list.

Please read the entry before answering, and give evidence to support your interpretation.
You ignorant Mon-keigh and your rotting corpse of a god, may Khaine strike you down swift and true and ease your suffering.

Ankhet come play a fun online game.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
Re: Sergent options
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »
The and/or means that you effectivley have the option to replace one, none, or both of your starting weapons with the list, making your question true.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Shizukanashi

• Warrior
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
I am not sure I agree.  I mean how far does this go.  If that is the case then can I give all of my command squad marines plasma guns and thunderhammers, in the same way?  Or flamers and powerfists?  That seems a bit broken to me.
You ignorant Mon-keigh and your rotting corpse of a god, may Khaine strike you down swift and true and ease your suffering.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
considering the cost for such a load out I would hold back such words as 'broken'. It clearly means that, like Fifth Wind Legion said, you can choose to replace none, one or two of the initial weapons.

The only squad which is open for a real feast in using these terminology is the Command Squad, which is limited in both FoC terms and numbers, after all it's only four models in each squad.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »
I am not sure I agree.  I mean how far does this go.  If that is the case then can I give all of my command squad marines plasma guns and thunderhammers, in the same way?  Or flamers and powerfists?  That seems a bit broken to me.

Yes, yes, and no, it isn't broken, because a) they are still only marines, and b), and Benis said, that would cost a heck of alot of points.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't

Offline Shizukanashi

• Warrior
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Roger that, thanks for the help guys.  Its something I definatly want to do.  I am building a Salamander list, and want to have lots of meltas and flamers with Vulkan. (I know this has been overdone in most circles but its never been done here) I want to include a flamer and a melta in my tac squads, with a sergent with either a combo flamer or -melta and a powerfist.  Additionally if I can find the room for two captains I would like to do some command sqauds, probably one with meltas and one with flamers and thunderhammers.  I just was not sure I was interpreting it right, it stills seems, not broken, but a bit beardy to me.  I have lots of faith in the 40k community though, and often call you guys the Gurus in my circle of friends.  If you say its legal, its legal.  Thanks!

Offline muzzyman1981

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
Well I had an argument against the current opinion based upon the thought that you cannot take a two-handed weapon plus another weapon (i.e Plasmagun and Thunderhammer from the example above) but I cannot seem to find anything that mentions what is or is not a two-handed weapon.

The way it is said is that all weapons, unless otherwise stated, can be fired one handed....or rather lack of it saying two-handed type weapons cannot be fired one handed.  Am I wrong in this?  If so, even though I disagree with the opinion due to common sense (and the mentioned HIGH point costs) I must accept it as from what I can read it allows it.
The above is just my opinion unless specifically stated, so deal with it or move on...

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 11:32:37 PM »
Well I had an argument against the current opinion based upon the thought that you cannot take a two-handed weapon plus another weapon (i.e Plasmagun and Thunderhammer from the example above) but I cannot seem to find anything that mentions what is or is not a two-handed weapon.

The way it is said is that all weapons, unless otherwise stated, can be fired one handed....or rather lack of it saying two-handed type weapons cannot be fired one handed.  Am I wrong in this?  If so, even though I disagree with the opinion due to common sense (and the mentioned HIGH point costs) I must accept it as from what I can read it allows it.

One handed and two handed weapons don't exist anymore. Just say you put the Thunder Hammer away before you fire.
-Sanctjud

Offline muzzyman1981

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Yeah, like I said, I don't particularly agree with it but as there is no written difference now it is theoretically possible.  One point to the rules craziness =P
The above is just my opinion unless specifically stated, so deal with it or move on...

Offline therealpapasmurf

• Courage and Honour
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:41 AM »
if u have the points go a command squad with meltaguns and flamers! lol
salamanderish enough for ya :)

but the whole thing makes sense as its the only way u can get plus one attack for powerfists and thunderhammers
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"

Roboute Guilliman

Offline muzzyman1981

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
I thought the rules stated that you can't get the extra weapon attack unless you had another powerfist (i.e. powerfist/powerfist)?

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
I thought the rules stated that you can't get the extra weapon attack unless you had another powerfist (i.e. powerfist/powerfist)?

I think that was what he was getting at, the ability to take two powerfists on a single guy.
-Sanctjud

Offline therealpapasmurf

• Courage and Honour
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
yeah, sorry if i was a bit unclear
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"

Roboute Guilliman

Offline muzzyman1981

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
Ah ok =P Just checking lol

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
I'm sure i saw a weapon that was a flame thrower and a hammer in one, i can't remember where though, it was either a really old movie, or a really recent one that i didn't rate too well. Eitherway, putting the barrel of a meltagun on the base of a thunder hammer would be quite cool, that way he can fire it as a meltagun/flamer, then just swap it round and use it as a hammer :p
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Cortez

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
the replacing/taking structure of the wargear sections do allow crazy stuff like this. good example is the crazy bike command squad of doom. This squad is on bikes, has plasma guns, power wepons/fists and a storm shield. its about 420 points with pweapons not fist and without upgrades but it is achievable. The sargeant can have a combiflamer and a powerfist. But if youre using vulkan, give hima hammer not a fist.
@muzzyman1981: nice idea, that would be an interesting way to model it. maybe put the barrel facing up on the hammer. or graft it onto the back.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline therealpapasmurf

• Courage and Honour
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 05:57:25 AM »
haha nice swamp rat
with that you could put a meltabomb on one of the hammer faces, like a last act of spite kinda thing (swing hammer down and BOOOM)

hehe

but just a theory: with the wargear options does that then mean that you can give a sarge 2xcombi meltas therefore giving him 2 melta shots in one game? obviously not in the same turn tho

Roboute Guilliman

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 01:47:32 PM »
but just a theory: with the wargear options does that then mean that you can give a sarge 2xcombi meltas therefore giving him 2 melta shots in one game? obviously not in the same turn tho

I don't believe that there is any longer a rule saying that no more than one weapon of any kind may be purchased for any particular model, so it seems legal.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Cortez

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
don't see why not but you would only be able to use one. but yeah, it seems legal.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.