News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IG (oops) - Astra Militarum list 2000pts  (Read 3638 times)

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
IG (oops) - Astra Militarum list 2000pts
« on: February 1, 2016, 01:01:39 AM »
Hello,
My first real list, it comes in at just under 2000pts, and the theme is ground infantry. I think it's a list that has some bite, and definitely falls into the category of 'presenting a target rich environment'.

Here goes:

86th Light Infantry on foot

Command Squad - Carapace Armour
Colonel Haarken Power Sword and Bolt Pistol
4 Vets Grende Launcher, Vox, Regimental Standard

Veteran Squad - Carapace Armour and Kraks
Plasma Guns x2, Grenade Launcher, Vox

Leman Russ Squad
Eradicator - Heavy Bolter hull mount, Heavy Bolter sponsons, Extra Armour and Recovery Gear

Scout Sentinel Squad
2x Multi-Laser

Platoon Alpha
Heavy Weapons team - Mortar
Special Weapons team - Snipers

Alpha Command
Commander - Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Melta Bombs
Guardsmen - Vox, Grenade Launcher

Alpha One
Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter team, Vox

Alpha Two
Vox, Melta Gun, Kraks
Chimera - Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter hull mount, Heavy Stubber

Alpha Three
Vox, Flamer

Bravo Platoon
Heavy Weapons team - Lascannon
Heavy Weapons team - Mortars
Special Weapons team - Flamers

Bravo Command
Commander - Bolt Pistol
Guardsmen - Vox, Heavy Flamer, Flamer x2

Bravo One
Melta gun, Vox

Bravo Two
Flamer, Vox

Bravo Three
Missile Launcher with Flakk, Vox, Grenade Launcher

Charlie Platoon

Charlie command
Commander - Bolt Pistol
Guardsmen - Vox, Grenade Launcher, Melta gun

Charlie One
Heavy Bolter team, Vox, Grenade Launcher

Charlie Two
Krak grenades, Melta gun, Vox
Chimera - Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter mounted, Heavy Stubber

Charlie Three

By all count, this is just under 2000pts, and a slew of models ( over 80% painted). The general strategy is objective holding and/or denial.
I realise that most lists aren't as infantry heavy, but I want to be able to stare an Ork and 'Nid player square in the eyes and think 'Yeah, I can do that too'.
I will take comments and criticisms on board, as I am new to this list and haven't been able to take it for a spin yet.

(edit - all I have done is renamed the infantry squads)
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 10:01:18 PM by TheEldarGuy »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: IG (oops) - Astra Militarum list 2000pts
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
Hi Guy.  :)

I like the mass infantry list.  It goes against the norm.  My advice however would be to rearrange the weapons you've issued to your squads to get better synergy.  Also, ordinary infantry squads are a bit wasted in Chimeras.  Vets are usually the better choice for them, but in your case I would recommend sticking your Platoon Command Squads into them.  They'll help protect an otherwise vulnerable unit, and they'll slightly increase the distance of the Officers orders.  Plus, you'll still get access to more special weapons to shoot out of the top hatch.

With that in mind, I would recommend changing your PCSs to two special weapons per squad, keep the vox for orders, and stick each of them into a Chimera with a multilaser and heavy flamer.  Then 'bubble wrap' the chimera with the Platoon infantry squads, which can be combined together, and arm these squads with grenade launchers or flamers, with a vox for orders.

I'm worried about the lack of Commissars or Priests to help hold the line, and the lack of counter assault units in your army too.  If anything gets into it they can wreck havoc.  I'm assuming this army is based on your actual collection?  This is highly unorthodox, but I would try swapping the heavy bolters on your russ for heavy flamers.  If something does break through, it can hose them down in fire. 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
You can probably save yourself a *lot* of points in this army by cutting some of the following things:

Cut Krak grenades and Vox from anything in a transport--they can't get orders while in the tank and they can't charge once they disembark. Once they disembark, they won't live long enough of won't want to charge anything, so Kraks are not such a great value as they are for, say, Astartes.

Extra Armor and Recovery Gear on a Russ is wasted points--the thing will die to glances long, long before it gets shaken or immobilized enough for those things to matter much.

Power Swords for the officers is a good look, but they'll pretty much never use them and, if they are in a position where they need them, they're probably dead anyway. Save the points. Same goes for the Regimental Standard.

I just saved you somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 points. Go buy something else nice for the army. I recommend some artillery or maybe a Psyker Primaris just to help things out a bit.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
Taking onboard the great advice and constructive criticisms; I have moved the existing Chimeras to the Platoon commands, eliminated the Flag-waver, removed the Kraks from the appropriate squads and the Extra Armour and Recovery Gear options. (edit - Also removed the Power Weapons from the Commanders)

Which came to a total of 95 or 100pts (well played Wyddr).

I've added an extra Chimera (with Heavy Stubber)for the third Platoon Command, and now with 25pts spare I'm looking at more Special Weapons for the Command Squads or even adding a Heavy Weapons team (Heavy Bolter or Missile Launcher with Flakk)to one of the Platoon Command Squads.

(On the sidelines I still have some Heavy Bolter teams, two Tauroxes, about a dozen more men and a Leman Russ Vanquisher)

Thank you so very much for the assistance, as a new(ish) Militarum player, I have to see the battlefield differently compared to my Eldar army.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 09:59:25 PM by TheEldarGuy »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2016, 08:48:52 AM »
I'm new-ish to the AM myself (though I've played against them a lot over the years). One thing I've found is, given that the army is so slow, you really need to plan your movement in advance. It's going to take 2-3ish turns to clear areas with shooting so you can get units to move up and give them time to Run, Run, Run to those midfield objectives, so be cognizant of how slow you are and how long it can take to get places.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2016, 10:59:23 PM »
Here is the revised list with the changes mentioned above.

86th Light Infantry on foot

Command Squad - Carapace Armour
Colonel Haarken Power Sword and Bolt Pistol
4 Vets Grende Launcher, Vox

Delta Squad (Grenadier Veterans) - Carapace Armour and Kraks
Plasma Guns x2, Grenade Launcher, Vox

Leman Russ Squad
Eradicator - Heavy Bolter hull mount, Heavy Bolter sponsons

Scout Sentinel Squad
2x Multi-Laser

Platoon Alpha

Alpha Command
Commander - Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs
Guardsmen - Vox, Grenade Launcher

Alpha One
Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter team, Vox

Alpha Two
Vox, Melta Gun

Alpha Three
Vox, Flamer

Bravo Platoon
Heavy Weapons team - Mortars

Bravo Command
Commander - Bolt Pistol
Guardsmen - Vox, Heavy Flamer, Flamer x2

Bravo One
Flamer, Vox

Bravo Two
Flamer, Vox

Bravo Three

Charlie Platoon

Charlie command
Commander - Bolt Pistol
Guardsmen - Vox, Grenade Launcher, Melta gun

Charlie One
Heavy Bolter team, Vox, Grenade Launcher

Charlie Two
Melta gun, Vox

Charlie Three

All up 1973pts, stil room for a little something something, I like the idea of a Missile Launcher with Flakk (taking it to 1998pts) in the Command squad (giving some range and firepower with an improved BS score), also I might make use of a Warlord Trait if required.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:22:21 AM »
Removed the veteran squad and added a Leman Russ Vanquisher.

Faced a mighty opponent in the Tau.
 2000pts and the tau ran with Ghostkeels and a Riptide.

At the end of turn 5, he was 2 VP ahead and had no troops on the board except the Keel, the Tide, two Crisis suits of a 5man squad, his Warlord and the Bomber had just zoomed off.

I still had a platoon commanders left, my mortar teams were all at 1 wound, but still in the fight; the eradicatior tank was on its last hull point; the only special weapons teams left were my two Sniper teams.

It was so much fun.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
Having fun is ultimately the point. Good for you, and glad to hear the list worked okay.

Offline spunkybass

• Uh-oh, I'm starting a new army. Again.
    • Spunkybass Place 3.0
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Thousand Sons, Eldar, Ravenwing
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
Love the list! This is the classic IG - hordes of the Emperor's finest! And looks like you gave the Tau a good run for their money too.

Here are some things I find work very well for me, and perhaps you might want to try them out:

1. Combined squads platoons, with a priest or commissar, work very well. You save points on Vox sets since you only need one per platoon (instead of one per squad). And being either fearless or really stubborn, your troops won't run away. And in this configuration, you can safely assign some platoons as "Assault" platoons to fix bayonets and give the enemy some of the Emperor's cold steel!

2. You might want to consider having lascannon combined platoons instead of weapons squads. Your lascannons will be more effective (better leadership to use orders + vox), and more resilient (more wounds + priest/commissar). You can transfer the heavy bolters to the weapons squads.

3. The other thing that is classic IG is the ubiquitous Plain Jane Leman Russ. A squad of 2 or 3, or even 2 squads of 2. Just the big gun and hull heavy bolter. Looks good. Real tough and nice big templates.

Good luck! I'm so glad to see a nice IG army with a good number of infantry in it!

Legio Malaysia member since 2008
Spunkybass Place 3.0