News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63434 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
Thanks Alienscar! You flatter me immensely! I'm continually surprised by how well my mucking about appears to turn out! Thankyou! :)

I've found that glosses and semi-glosses like nuln-oil are your friend when it comes to differentiating blacks. Doesn't quite come across on the camera, but it helps make the same colour look different to the eye :)

Oh, and a new camera is absolutely on the wishlist ;)

Thanks for the feedback Loosh :) always value your input :) i'll have a look to see if there's anything i can do to it. The camera has done a pants job picking up the shading on the black, although it is definitely less varied than the harlie (which i am eldlessly surprised how well it's turned out!)

I'll dig out the spotlight photo i've got of him to see if that gives a bit more detail :) shall have to wait til i'm back from Lisbon though!

Definitely value your input though :) i plan on doing a dark troupe with a ghostly death jester, so if there's anything i can do to improve painting blacks i'd love to hear it :)

Also, slightly amused by you saying i have painting talent ;) never thought i'd see the day!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »
Also, slightly amused by you saying i have painting talent ;) never thought i'd see the day!

Well, I don't say it lightly. You've produced some great models to be proud of and it seems like every mini you produce just increases the standard a little bit. Keep it up!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
Not just Tiny diamonds.. White tiny diamonds.. stunning :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
Thanks guys!

I've promised a chap over on The Dark City to post up a pic of my first ever model. I think it's useful to keep your first mini just as a reminder of how far you've come :) I'll post him up here too when I find him :) should be good for a laugh ;)

Got a little update too :)

Prince Morrathillian sat at the helm of the listening-ship. The transparent dome surrounding him and his command crew offered an unparalleled view of the star-specked void, ghostly runes dancing across its surface. One in particular piqued his interest. A distant world-rune began to flicker almost imperceptibly and, to him, embarked upon an errant journey across the star-scape. Signalling his sister-ships through the aether, dozens of heavily cloaked vessels leapt through the open webway portal. He couldn't be sure what had occurred, but one of his listening posts had signaled for aid. What would cause one of his operatives to send such a coded message he couldn't fathom, but something was clearly awry. The Khaine's Ravens may be spies first and foremost, but the blood of the war god still flows through their veins. Whoever dared to encroach on their mission would feel the full force of his fleet.

That fluff piece has been written for weeks awaiting a suitable painting milestone to roll it out! Much though I love the paint scheme for the Khaine's Ravens, they're by far the most time consuming of my Eldar to paint...

One of the things I've started on this lot is (steady now) actually highlighting the gold armour. Previously, I've just given it a liberal wash of ancient Flesh Wash and left it be. Not sure whether it comes across at all in these pics, but I've gone back over some of the higher patches with Gehennas Gold which makes for more of a glowing gold colour which I rather liked :) so much so that I've gone over all the rest of the Khaine's Ravens doing the same thing :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #84 on: February 1, 2017, 07:10:04 AM »
Looking solid Ynnead! Yeah I like Gehenna Gold too. Super nice color... my favorite golds are Balthasar Gold (ultra good coverage) and the new Retributor Gold... thats the ultimate glowy gold if you are looking for something super easy to work with. The coverage is insane... I'm gonna be using that on vehicles going forward rather than prime them gold.

But these guys look awesome as ever. It is hard to really see the highlights, and I don't higlight my gold myself. I just use a heavy Reikland Flesh wash, then clean it up a bit.

Perhaps give us a close-up on a single guy so we can see. But I think they look really good either way. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #85 on: February 1, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
Thanks man :) yeah I've been really impressed by the recent metallics GW has put out. Only one that's a little weak on the coverage I've used is Runelord Brass (but that does make it useful for subtly highlighting golds and bronzes which is useful). I like the sound of Retributor Gold :) shall have to give that a try

TBH if you can't actually see the highlights then I'll count my job as done! I was going for a sort of highlight that you don't really consciously pick up, but just sort of improves the base colour :)

Alas I don't have a decent close-up before and after pic, but I'll pause on my next batch to see if it makes any discernible difference at all! ;)

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #86 on: February 1, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »
I just read the whole thread.
The conversions and kit-bashes range from inspiring to awesome. and the painting is brilliant as well. Especially the pale coloured Harlequin troupe.
I shall have to borough this scheme for some of my troupes.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #87 on: February 1, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
Thanks man :) I'm glad you like them!

Borrow away :) I'm flattered that you like them enough to give that scheme a try :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #88 on: February 3, 2017, 07:32:59 AM »
Morrathillian strode into the antechamber as only a Corsair Prince could, his guards unsheathing their blades purposefully. "You, Harlequin, how dare you encroa…", he began, but something felt…off. Hand instinctively bolting towards the grip of his pistol his gaze flitted around the room, settling on a figure loitering in the shadows, head cocked slightly, staring lidlessly at him. Something about that particular harlequin engendered a primordial unease within him. Compared to the other inhabitants of the room its mind felt familiar, but somehow disconcerting. A symphony of souls, with one haphazard instrument playing off-key.

"That's a Solitaire, isn't it" Morrathillian stated, meeting the fell creature's gaze. He could sense his guards tense as the words left his mouth.

"Correct, my Prince! You are a sharp one," the lead Harlequin acknowledged jovially, "We have need of your services, Friend-of-Ravens. I trust there's no quarrel between us..."

Morrathillian noted that the Solitaire still hadn't blinked. Mind racing, hand still hovering over his pistol, the Corsair Prince calculated his odds...

Been waiting to roll out that fluff piece for a while now! Love the idea of Solitaires being thoroughly disconcerting for other eldar to be around :)

As for the model itself I'm not entirely certain I'm satisfied with it. A moment of indecision on hair-colour had me undercoat it red, and then change my mind and have to go over it with a couple of coats of grey to bring it back :S hence the slightly heavier nuln oil wash to disguise the ruddy grey it ended up like :S sort of ruins the whole 'washed out natural' look I tend to go for...

Still, I suppose it works ok for a Solitaire :) I've got a bit of an image for this one that in normal life it's got this lank grey/white hair that hangs down obscuring its face, but in battle it's borne up by fell energies like a banshee in the wind. Fitting that it looks sort-of backlit if that's the case :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #89 on: February 6, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
I've always thought that it's a good idea to keep your first ever 40k model around, just to show to yourself so you can get some perspective on how far you've come.

Well, rooting around in some boxes the other evening I found him!

Behold, the wonder that is my first ever 40k model!

Turns out, being 12, inexperienced, and high as a kite on the solvents you've used to glue him together is neither conducive to good modelling nor good painting. Literally not a clue what my artistic vision for that was. Going out on a limb I'm going to say Abstract Expressionism...

1. Hunched over pose
2. Shoulder pads on the wrong way up
3. Clutching a Bolt Pistol in 2 hands
4. Arms at different heights
5. Random bolter stuck to his thigh
6. Extra layers of paint confer a 2+ save
7. Wilful determination to paint completely outside the lines

At least I had the good grace to know that beakie helmets are cool ;)

By the time I'd got to my first Eldar model I had inched forwards slightly...

At least I'd learnt to roughly paint between the lines (sort of), and that if you paint the base they look a little better. Still had the standard +1Sv from the sheer thickness of paint on him though...

On the plus side, I did uncover some cool dudes that my catastrophically haphazard younger self hadn't yet got round to ruining. First among which is this kickass R/T era Assassin class Ghost Warrior (and a little chainsaw-wielding buddy as well!).

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #90 on: February 6, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Paint aside I find your first Space Marine interesting. It would seem that from a very early age you had a penchant for modelling and weren't content just to glue the bits together as instructed which is what I would have done aged twelve.

Edit: should have said weren't
« Last Edit: February 7, 2017, 10:46:55 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #91 on: February 6, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
Well the good news is you can strip them back and give it another go :) That's my fall back for when I run out of $$ for new models.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #92 on: February 6, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »
Love those Ghost warriors models!
I've looked at them on ebay a few times but they sell for so much money now!  :'(
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #93 on: February 6, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »

1. Hunched over pose
2. Shoulder pads on the wrong way up
3. Clutching a Bolt Pistol in 2 hands
4. Arms at different heights
5. Random bolter stuck to his thigh
6. Extra layers of paint confer a 2+ save
7. Wilful determination to paint completely outside the lines

Lol, if I could find my first models, I believe that based on No.6, they would probably have a 2++. With reroll.

Just remember, art is expression; you certainly expressed yourself, so it is certainly art!

Really though, it's cool seeing your first minis. It's always a nice reminder about how much progress you make, even if it feels like you have so very far to travel to even consider being several levels below Golden Daemon entries. It's a heck of a long journey.

I'm just glad that those first models didn't scar you forever...mine did.

Seriously, I was 10 and I painted a Squat and was incredibly happy with it. I showed it to my Dad and brother and they agreed that it looked more like Santa Claus than anything else. That judgement has resulted in me, whenever my Dad visits, wheeling out whichever project I've just finished to show him, desperate for some praise or validation of my efforts.

I'm 38. I'll let that sink in. I have a well paid job that a lot of people would love to do. I have an amazing wife (amazing because she encourages my hobbying) and an awesome 14 month old son, who is just the coolest thing in my life. I've played sport at a fairly high level and still play sports at a good standard. I've travelled extensively and experienced a lot of things that many people won't ever experience. I'm a pretty good cook. I can do DIY. A very limited portion of society thinks I'm funny. An even smaller portion thinks I'm good looking. I'm leading a pretty good life. A life that I'm proud of.

Yet, for validation and praise, I wheel out a Skaven Doomwheel in order to try to overcome the embarrassment and shame that I felt as a 10 year old. Parents are rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s.

In short, thank beslubber you kept at it and are now producing amazing minis as a result. That's winning.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 04:51:01 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #94 on: February 6, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
@Alienscar Yeah I never was one for following instructions! Probably means that you don't quite have the backcatalogue of failed plastic grotesques that I do! You're probably looked half-decent from the get go whereas mine's gently cradling an undersize Bolt Pistol! ;)

@magenb I do need to try that out actually. I've got a load of old metal Aspect Warriors that I vastly prefer to Finecast, but they're painted in aspect colours and I want them to fit in slightly better with the rest of my army. I've heard a lot of good products in the States, but few if any are sold over here in the UK...

@Aurics Pride They're neat aren't they :) yeah I can't believe how much some of the OOP stuff is going for these days. I wanted the torso from that kickass old Slaanesh Champion on that big boob-snake thing but they want £60 for them at least!

@Looshkin Well you can count me among the portion of society that finds you funny! Both warming and witty :)

I do the same thing too :) not so much with 40k, but I dabble a little in welding and metalwork and I can't help but show my parents every time I come up with something, and I'm 26! Built a school in India, but still have to know that my mum likes the little metal doohicky I've just made :S

Odd how people work :)

Reminds me of an excellent Philip Larkin poem which begins:

They beslubber you up your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you up with faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

Of course, he then goes on to suggest not having children which isn't something I'm much in favour for, but it's a neat poem regardless :)

Oh, congrats on the little Looshkinder btw! I can tell you'll both make much better parents than Larkin had in mind ;)

No need to self-censor, the auto censor does that for you - Iris ;).
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 06:49:30 PM by Irisado »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #95 on: February 7, 2017, 02:41:31 AM »
@Looshkin Well you can count me among the portion of society that finds you funny! Both warming and witty :)

If you find me funny, there's a strong chance you're brain damaged. In which case, you may just find me sexy too  ;)

They beslubber you up your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you up with faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

Never heard that before, but it is incredibly accurate!

Oh, congrats on the little Looshkinder btw! I can tell you'll both make much better parents than Larkin had in mind ;)
Nah. He's screwed.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #96 on: February 7, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
Legendary! lol... oh man that poor Marine! The artificers are screaming out heresy about those shoulder pads! The Guardian actually looks pretty cool though. The paint is super thick but the colors are awesome! Thats where genius took flight!  ;D ;D ;D

I've got my first miniature downstairs somewhere. I'll have to dig him up. You guys will laugh when you see how little my approach has changed.   ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #97 on: February 7, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
Haha! So's everyone Loosh :) first thing I learnt in my psychology degree is just how messed up people are in general ;)

Yeah I should post it up on Bolter & Chainsword just to see their reaction! I think the shoulder pads would cause their Machine Spirits to rupture!

Glad you like Mr 3+Sv Guardian! I certainly did at the time. Perhaps I should do some of my Corsairs for my spaceport in a more grimdark grubby version of that scheme as a sort of throwback thing :)

Hah I'd love to see your first model :) I think they should add a new requirement for Golden Daemon entries to also have to post a picture of their first ever model, just so you can see that they are human after all ;)

Couple of little updates :) I had my copy of Gangs of Commorragh turn up the other day, so immediately got to producing some Reavers :) I must admit jetbikes have never really done anything for me (despite my love of Saim Hann), but these guys alongside the kickass Harlequin Skyweavers have sold me on them. They're so damn cool! I suppose it's easier for me to suspend my disbelief about jetbikes strafing past and cutting your head off than heading straight towards you guns blazing (presenting the easiest of targets to shoot).

Anyway, here they are :)

Kickass blank-faced helmets to denote arena champs (my main reason for buying GoC was to get a decent supply of those!). Also, notice 'Mr Untransportable' on the far left with his agoniser extended at the most inconvenient angle. looks cool though!

Also thought it would be cool to give one of the champs a trophy rack, them being Wych Cult units after all. That way, if I ever do 6-man blobs with an Arena Champ then I can use that to denote who it is :)

Lastly, with the excess supply of Hellions (bought for the Hellglaives and tattered-clothes torsos which are just made for Exodites), I thought I'd have a stab at making some Modern Synthesist Jetbikes.

Now, if anyone hasn't seen these guys before you're in for a treat! One of the best DEldar conversions I've ever seen, this guy decided that his Haemonculus Coven army should have a twisted techno-biological Haemi version of all the Dark Eldar units in it. For his Reavers, this is what he came up with:

Unbelievable!

So, I thought I'd have a go myself with some leftover bits :) now, mine won't be anywhere near as good at all due to my stubborn refusal to use greenstuff, but I quite like the challenge of making something similar entirely out of plastic :)

Here's where I'm up to so far :)

I also think that if anyone wanted to make some small scale Eldar Void Craft then attaching Hellion Skyboards to the back of various Jetbike canopies would be really really cool!

Oh, and if anyone wanted to see what the Modern Synthesist stuff looks like painted, here's his idea of a Venom!

Unbelievable!
« Last Edit: February 7, 2017, 05:54:40 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #98 on: February 7, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »
Wow, that's a simply amazing concept. I can't wait to see how you run with it. That last paint job looks very nurgle meets dark eldar.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #99 on: February 8, 2017, 04:50:15 AM »
It really is a phenomenal piece of imagination :) i'd never have though of putting those pieces together, but they fit really nicely :)

Plus, you tend to have a couple of Reaver canopies left over and Hellions aren't exactly the most competitive of units, so it helps you stretch your bits and make a couple more Reavers :)

The paint job is very nurgly :) i think it's actually a codex coven, but with some extra weathering. Coven of the Marred i think :)
« Last Edit: February 8, 2017, 04:55:14 AM by Ynneadwraith »