News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The new face of Melchoir  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
The new face of Melchoir
« on: July 22, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »
So, for those of you who follow my battle reports, you will have noticed that my narrator and senior officer, Melchoir, has recently gotten a weapon upgrade from a power weapon to a power fist. Now, rather than just hack apart the old Melchoir model, and add a fist on there, I decided to make a new Melchoir model. This has led me to my most difficult painting challenge yet: exactly re-create a face that I've already created.

Basically, I'm looking for your blessing. I want to believe that I've painted the new model to be so similar to the old, that I can get away with calling the new model by the same name (as in, the two models are the same person). The face on the left is the new model, the face on the right is my old Melchoir model:

Now, to be fair, the old Melchoir model has a blue light shining onto one side of his face, but I think that it's close enough.

Anyways, can I call my new SO Melchoir, or does he look so dissimilar to the old one, that I have to call him by some other name (like have him be his father, or brother, or something)?

Thanks.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: The new face of Melchoir
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:54:46 PM »
I think he looks enough like Melchoir to be him, but maybe it's time Melchior died a heroic death, and was replaced by his brother (or even son).

Regardless, good job on the face, I demand to see the rest of the model.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:04:01 AM »
I think he looks enough like Melchoir to be him

I'm glad to know that you think it's a close enough facsimile.

maybe it's time Melchior died a heroic death, and was replaced by his brother (or even son).

Yeah, it's possible. If I wanted it to be someone else, though, I'd just have painted him like someone else. Plus, the times that Melchoir's been lost as a casualty have basically been through things like running away, getting caught in a sweeping advance, or barely taking enough wounds to put him out of action. If he ever gets killed by a force weapon, or something, then I'll think about it. Plus, I'm just starting to really get into the narrative and character development, so it would kind of be a waste...

Regardless, good job on the face, I demand to see the rest of the model.

Thank you. I'm going to have to leave you hanging for now, though. If enough ppl tell me that I don't need to redo the face, then I can spray him, as the model is all but done. I'm pretty proud about how he turned out, but I just want to make sure that it's all going to be kosher.

Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Rojo

• It only took me 4 years to get 100 posts...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »
Looks pretty damn close to me.  The only difference I can see is that the new one has a slightly bigger nose, possibly from a nose that was broken too often?  He is missing a tooth after all...
Your Famous Last Words Will Be:

"So, you're a cannibal."

What Will Your Famous Last Words Be?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatwillyourfamouslastwordsbequiz/

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:14:55 PM »
Close enogh to the old Melchoir to keep him as the same person. But the nose looks a bit to big.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline Captain Custard

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
The nose is a little big , but people dont stay the same forever you know
 :D
apatrt from that its prety much the same man good job (i want to see his body pls!)

Offline You are all Nerdzzz

• Including me
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »
Close  enough give  us a body shot of thm both to be sure in posture ect(I'm going into such detail. ::) ).
BUT NOT REALLY INCLUDING ME
College | Reviews | Teams | Wiki | Babes | Shop

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
Call him Melchoir all you want, I think it's definately close enough. We don't want to lose the hero of the battle reports, right? :)

Purg

Offline Pavonis

• "An unimaginable power discovered in the depths."
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »
Looks very close to the original bar the nose. But, its 38,000 years into the future, Plastic surgery could still be around :)

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:50:13 PM »
As far as the nose is concerned: The whole face is actually a little bit wider (the mouth is more open as well as the jowels go more out and less down than before). I think a part of it is the blue light on the face, but the real reason for this is because the old model was the metal cadian officer, whereas the new head is one of the plastic ones from the cadian infantry sprue. Given that there's no greenstuffing, I think things are okay.

Interestingly enough, this guy has the same head as my Sean Bean guardsman. It's only the paint that's different.

Anyways, you guys have supported me (and twisted my arm) enough. Allow me to present to you, the new Melchoir Theleos:

THIS is the old Melchoir officer, for comparison.

Anyways, there are a few cute little things that I think came off well. The first is completely scratch-building the new bolt pistol out of three different bolt pistols and a bunch of green stuff, and still having it come out pretty well (I'm especially proud of the new red arrow I GS'ed on). As well, I took a CSM bolt pistol holster, and imperialized it with GS. As well, I added the inquisitor pin from game 20. As well, of course, I'm proud of getting the face so close, as well as some of the clever things I had to do with plastic (like the new antenna and the gorget from a lasgun, and the leg swap), especially getting the powerfist to look even halfway decent.

In any case, the point of this was to make a model of the same identity. I think that the helmet, the face, the pistol with a big red arrow, the =I= pin, and the front pouch (everyone else puts their pouches on their sides or backs. Melchoir likes his in front), makes the facsimile close enough.

Anyways, wish me luck, as this new form of Melchoir's probably going to be around for awhile.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
Looks brilliant, the one complaint I have about the model is that there's no cord for the kerosene power fist  ;).

Offline phisicsbof

• Blood Runs Anger Rises Death wakes War Calls!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
Looks great. Give him a good base the old Melchoir had such a nice base.

"the stars themselves once lived and died at our cammand, and yet you still dare oppose our will"
My craftworlds story(Update 2)
Create your own Craft world

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:14:06 PM »
I love the model. I hope he'll smite a lot of MEQs in the name of the Emperor :)

Purg

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
Looks brilliant, the one complaint I have about the model is that there's no cord for the kerosene power fist  ;).

Um.. it's on the side that you can't see...

Plus, you can see the tailpipes, so you know there's an actual engine in there.

Looks great. Give him a good base the old Melchoir had such a nice base.

I know, I've been super-negligent with basing over the past year. In part, I'm trying to just get them painted. In part, basing for me is messy, so I'm going to do it on all of my guys at once.

I love the model. I hope he'll smite a lot of MEQs in the name of the Emperor :)

I know, I know. I'm so ready to play super punch-out with someone's terminators. This fist has been so underused thus far. Also, it's been a while since I've had the chance to go CC with a vehicle...

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2007, 12:57:53 PM »
 The painting is much of your standard painting capability my friend... Excellent!

The face actually makes Melchoir looking more Melchoiring than the past... But you should look into basing! The white putty under his feet doesn't do him justice!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Thats looking great! I originally didn't like the power fist, but I think you've pulled it off! :)

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2007, 01:56:08 PM »
Thanks. I was considering painting the main part of the fist brown (to match the armor) or blue (to make the glowey effect like his old sword). In the end, I think it came out just fine.

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2007, 08:29:29 PM »
Looks good!  Have you considered doing some sort of small freehand on the surface of the fist, perhaps some personal heraldry (or just something simple like a Crux Terminatus)?  It just feels like such a large, flat surface, something begs to be done with it.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »
Looks good!  Have you considered doing some sort of small freehand on the surface of the fist, perhaps some personal heraldry (or just something simple like a Crux Terminatus)?  It just feels like such a large, flat surface, something begs to be done with it.

Well, a Crux Terminatus would be wrong I think because:
1) He's not a Space Marine.

2) He doesn't have the rights to wear Terminator Armour into battle.

But a heraldry would be cool - Ailaros, you have to do something with that huge surface!

Purg