News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Static Tau?  (Read 477 times)

Offline yeknomajnin

Static Tau?
« on: July 23, 2006, 10:59:05 PM »
Has anybody here gotten a static Tau army to work.  I started off playing as a firing line but the horrible images of eldar and speed freeks tearing me to shreads turn two convinced me that mech tau was the way to go.

Offline Ares

• Non can withstand my wrath!
Re: Static Tau?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:09:44 PM »
It really depends on what army your going to be fighting against.  If it were a space marine army, then semi-static tau would do farely well.  However, if it were Dark Eldar, being completely static might be the only thing you'll be able to do. 

Armies- W/L/D
Tau (2000 pt under construction: assembling & painting) 1/2/1
Space Marines 1800 Points: Dark Angels (under constructions: finish painting) 6/2/2

Madefactaque sanguine radix purpureo tingit pendentia mora colore.
The root soaked with blood tinges the hanging fruit with a purple color.
-Cicero

Offline Craftworld Altansar

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »
firing lines can be effective (even against mech eldar and speed freaks)

u just have to make sure u have plenty of anti tank (broadsides) and a hammerhead to drop a template on the disembarking troops

if somebody wants to sit back and shoot it out with u, let them, ull will 75% of the time

mech can also be good(me like fish of furry) but it is risky (tau shipps arent as survivable as eldar, making it almost easy for your opponent to suddenly make u have a miny mech force and a miny firing line)

overall id do a mech list, mainly cus im used to fast eldar, and relorcating your army is fun (messes with ur opponents)

but its up to u which ud prefer, and wich u can afford (tanks expensive)
my armies:

eldar - 2000 pt mech
Uruk Hai - 750 pt
WFB wood elves - 1500 pt
Space marines - soon to be 1000 pt drop pod

Offline Ares

• Non can withstand my wrath!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:42:01 PM »
Tau can most certainly out gun any army at long range (excluding the IG Basalisk and other tanks), but once eldar tanks get within range of their weapons, they can unleash a whole salvo of pain.  Thats why you want to kee them at a reasonalbe distance, or, if you can destroy their tanks before they get to you.  A sky ray, Hammerhead with a railgun, or a Broadside team should be able to do the trick. 

Armies- W/L/D
Tau (2000 pt under construction: assembling & painting) 1/2/1
Space Marines 1800 Points: Dark Angels (under constructions: finish painting) 6/2/2

Madefactaque sanguine radix purpureo tingit pendentia mora colore.
The root soaked with blood tinges the hanging fruit with a purple color.
-Cicero