News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Female Tau  (Read 32659 times)

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
Female Tau
« on: March 4, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
With the Exception of Shadowsun there isn't a single female Tau that I have seen either in fluff or the model range. What gives? Since there is Shadowsun, I can logically assume that both male and female tau go to war. Shouldn't there be more mention of them somewhere?

Right click View image to view the full picture.

Maybe someone could make a story based around this one =P.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Female Tau
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
how do you know??? i mean, whos to say that some of your fire warriors arent female!? you are assuming that they would manufacture different types of armour for female tau, perhaps you shouldnt look at it like that...

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »
I guess from an anatomy standpoint female tau could be similar to males. The problem is that the would be constricting and they don't have hips like you'd expect.

Like I said though, female Tau could be closer looking to males than I'd expect. But shadowsun DOES have some uniquely feminine features in her battle suit. Smaller waist, larger hips and a larger chest area than is typical.

Offline ShasO Kodel

« Reply #3 on: March 4, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »
Shes also wearing a prototype suit, so you don't necessarily know a Tau's unsuited physical features. And while its rather arguable that most line warriors are male, you could say that females have better hand-eye coordination and are primarily tank crews.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #4 on: March 4, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
True, but from the fluff we never really get a sense of any of that.

Next thing you know there will be pictures of Tau women in aprons fixing dinner while taking care of the kids. THEN we're going to have a feminist movement and no one wants that =(.

Seriously though, if the case of better hand eye coordination were true, then female firewarriors would still make better standard sharp shooters. Since the tau look down on close combat anyway, physical size would matter very little.

Offline rightfire

« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »
Modern Military mostly focuses on Ranged combat too, but female warriors are still rare.

It's less to do with accuracy, but more to do with the whole military culture where women aren't allowed to be front line infantry.
When you have fought over 1000 battles, all you see is death

- Dawn of War

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »
The Ethereal in the Xenology book is female, and she looks very similar to male Tau. It seems that there just isn't much difference between the male and female Tau bodies.

It's less to do with accuracy, but more to do with the whole military culture where women aren't allowed to be front line infantry.

True, but you're thinking in human terms. We don't have an entire Caste bred solely for combat. Are you suggesting that female Fire Caste members just sit on their hands all day? There must be female Firewarriors, since I believe inter-caste breeding is taboo, and it seems unlike the Tau to waste half of their fighting force because their sex organs are on the inside.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 05:06:50 PM by Khemri, the Laughing Man »

Offline Theocratic_Shenanigans

« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
So... due to the "adapted" armor, she gets... a 2+ cover save?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »
It's also to do with stamina and upper body strength but we really should leave such discussion vague when it comes to gender roles in the armed forces as people just get all silly about it.

A common mistake in SF is trying to make aliens too human in appearance when they're supposed to be, you know, alien. An example being that many female aliens are portrayed as having an appearance attractive to human males while the male aliens are far different. An example of the example - long hair, big tits, and softer faces.  ;)

Tau do not appear to share these qualities based upon their different ancestors. Consider the Air Caste who look creepy different even to the other Castes. Same with the Deadlords Ethereal Caste.

So, Tau females should more strongly resemble Tau males then they should human females.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »
True, but from the fluff we never really get a sense of any of that.

but again, from the fluff, there is no distinction made between male or female warriors... generally speaking it seems that the tau do not consider a warriors gender. you are fire caste, or air caste. your gender is incidental in that regard. i would have thought it is something similar to the eldar... both races are able to fight equally without prejudice or stigma. perhaps thats why there is never a point made out of it!?

Offline rightfire

« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2008, 05:12:26 PM »
Even though Commander Farsight has far better rules and uses than Shadowsun,

The main reason people like Shadowsun is because she's a hot female chick leading an entire army and kicking ass.

So, their models should have Sex appeals.

Gamesworkshop should consider their client base.

In my opinion, Regardless of commen sense logic, all alien females should be hot and attractive.
When you have fought over 1000 battles, all you see is death

- Dawn of War

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
Thankfully wiser minds are at the helm and such opinions are given little regard. Here's the thread for people to fap over. Feel free to close the door on your way out Rightfire.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
    Looking at pictures of shirtless male tau page 5 of the new dex, page 61 and page 53 of the old Dex, shows that they have different muscles on their chests and tend to have a long lean body, suited to the grace they are supposed to have.  Also, I do not see any nipples on the males, leading me to thing that females do not have mammary (heck they might not even be mammals) glands.
    After all, why should Tau have the same birth cycle/raising system as humans do?  In fact I would say because they live a different amount of years, I would be it is almost a given with quicker maturity rates.  In so many words, I think I agree with the statment that Tau females look like Tau males.

Xenology as horrible as it is, does provide a look at Tau musculature, and IIRC that is a dead female Tau.  Of course, it also has toes and orks have beer bellies.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 09:17:21 PM by Gornon »
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2008, 07:47:45 PM »
Female Tau just have glands on their chest that look like breast but are for an undefined purpose (well getting kids in their puberty to buy female aliens ;))
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Annenkov

• In soviet Russia the ROFLCOPTER laughs at you!!
« Reply #14 on: March 4, 2008, 08:36:42 PM »
Also, I do not see any nipples on the males, leading me to thing that females do not have mammary (heck they might not even be mammals) glands.

Nipples on a male are superfluous maybe tau males have thrown that out of their Gene pool. But other than that I would think that LIKE humans tau females are similar to males.
In soviet Russia the ROFLCOPTER laughs at you!!

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »
Like it was said, there is no garauntee that Tau are even mammals. We could make certain assumptions about them based on the way they look and where they live. They seem to be most at home in temperate climates like their own home world, that would seem to indicate that they might be closer to reptiles. Personally I think that they are closer to Avian than reptile. Either option leaves little room for live birth, and therefore breasts would be useless.

However, I think we've strayed off topic a little here. I drew the Tau the way I did purely for aesthetics, but whether it was right or wrong wasn't really the subject.

I could have drawn her like this...

Sexy no? =)

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: March 4, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »
^^^^

By the Emperor... Well, I am not getting any sleep. :D

I actually think they are closer to avians too, despite the hoofs.  The dexterity and lighter structure matches.  However, that does not fit in with the poor focusing eyes.  Maybe on the planes, it was more important to have sharp vision to see things at a distance.  They could have evolved from one of Eagle type birds.  High up in the sky, sharp vision is more important that rapid focusing, and descending from raptors would explain why they like to hunt.  I am just speculating though.

I did like your first drawing by the way.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 11:51:43 PM by Gornon »
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Russ, Gue'Vesa from the Tiny Red Dot

• The luckiest tau alive
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2008, 03:03:24 AM »
Shadowsun actually looks good. Cool kind of good in that sense. I thought she was a really young and cool Tau when i first saw her model. Anyway, female Tau might have a little different body structure, because the XV22 in dawn of war and shadowsun's one is a little different. Unless, DOW is not a good place to compare.
What is strategy without a little luck? What is firepower without a little luck. Some may say it is a miracle, but I say, with a little luck, many things will go your way

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #18 on: March 5, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »
It's hard to say one way or another, there isn't a lot of fluff (that I'm aware of) that deals with Tau culture. Most of what I see is based around military, this is a war game after all but I'd still like to know my Tau a little better.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2008, 04:15:22 AM »
It's hard to say one way or another, there isn't a lot of fluff (that I'm aware of) that deals with Tau culture. Most of what I see is based around military, this is a war game after all but I'd still like to know my Tau a little better.

agreed. i suppose this means you can make the tau whatever you want them to be... until we are told otherwise (or not) that is.

ps: i dont think you have been complemented on them yet but i'm loving the artwork.