News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Ork player with 1000 pt list  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Dartron

New Ork player with 1000 pt list
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
Hello
So I've posted a few questions and looked over a couple army lists and think that I may as well post a tentative list now before I invest in anything else.

What I have:
- Orks from AoBR
   - 1 Warboss
   - 5 Nobz
   - 20 Boyz
   - 3 Deff Koptas
- 1 Big Mek w/KFF
- 1 Painboy
- 3 Killa Kans
- 1 Deff Dread
- 2 Old Leman Russes I can use as Looted Wagons

So, the first 1000pt list I'd like to make from this is as follows:

HQ
 - 1 Big Mek w/KFF                                             85

TROOPS
- 3X 25 Boyz w/ Nob, BP/PK                               190/squad
- 1 Deff Dread w/Big Shoota, Skorcha                  85

HEAVY SUPPORT
- 3 KKans w/2 Grotzookas, 1, Rokkit Launcha      140
- 3 KKans w/2 Big Shootas, 1 Skorcha                120

TOTAL                                                    1000
KP's                                                        7
MODELS                                                  83

So I obviously need to invest in some more boyz and the Kans.  Nobz for the boyz squads will just be converted from the AoBR Nobz.

The strategy is pretty simple.  Hide Big Mek in a squad of boyz flanked by Kans and Dread.  Everyone spends most of the time running at the enemy.  Orks will assault in the first wave with walkers firing on whatever is near.  Second wave of assault sees the walkers charge in too.  I like the template weapons and grotzookas since they basically have the same chance to hit as any other weapon in the army.  Skorchas are also good for burning enemies out of cover and taking care of those deep striking units.
I mostly play Marines and Eldar but will likely get more involved in the new city playing pretty much everything.  But before Christmas, only Eldar and Marines.
The marine player is going to be juiced on Whirlwinds and Dreadnaughts so maybe I'm going to need some more long range anti-tank.  Come to think of it, the Eldar will probably have a couple Fireprisms.  What's the strategy for dealing with all those templates?  Should I include the Deff Koptas for their flanking potential?  Rokkits on more of the walkers?  I'm an Eldar player myself so this new type of army might not work out the way I planned...  I've never played as a hoard army before.  I'm just kind of expecting everything to die.

Thanks!

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
Re: New Ork player with 1000 pt list
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »
I've heard bad things about Deff Dreads. You'd be better off just sticking with kanz. As for anti-armour, most people perfer to take bikers or koptas with powerklaws/buzzsaws. A warboss with a powerklaw has S10, more then enough to take out any vehicle in the game without issue. Either that, or just load up on an insane level of powerklaws. S9 can be just as threatening to many a tank.

The kanz look very cool, will make a great wall, and you can never go wrong with a KFF.

Offline O.I.C.

• Ork Skarboy
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »

hurm..

honestly..

at 1000k pts only. i would do it alil differntly.

Warboss w/ klaw,squig,armor,cybor,and kombi weapon
 5 nobs (as troops) w/ 3 big chopas,1 PK, 2 kombi shcorchas, evy armor,waaagh banna,
  + pain boy
-----tranport them in a looted wagon 'it has transport'-------
 a 2nd looted wagon. so you have more then one for them to shoot at.
 20 boyz with shootas and 2 big shootas
 big mek with KFF armor, cybor armor, burna
 3 kans w/ 2 big shootas 1 grotzoka

you do the math....

more soild list for what you have.

OIC

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
For 1000 points, that's a very small amount of bodies.

Offline Dartron

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »
Interesting.  Isn't it a little short on bodies for an Ork list, but it DOES use everything I have and don't have to run off and buy a whole bunch of models.  Won't the squad of 20 boyz get ripped apart though?  Too bad the transport capacity of the Looted Wagon is so small.  It'd be nice to throw an extra squad of boyz in it along with the Mek.  I could give the Big Mek a BP and stick him with the 20 boyz too.
Let me fool around with your list O.I.C. and I'll post something new in a bit.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
I'd consider investing in either some boyz [can never go wrong with these] or some grots, or plan on fielding a unit of nobz as troops for scoring purposes. A deffdred is alright as a 5th or 6th troops choice but really, you're gonna need some scoring units. 2/3 of games require you to hold objectives to win.

I'd lean more to another box or two of the basic Ork boyz. Even if you plan on having nobz as troops, I like to think of 40 boyz as a floor for most ork armies.

Offline JamesDiGriz

• Ork Boy
  • What happens if they build a better rat?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »
I am new to 5th edition, but here is my 2 cents...

Given what you have I would I am thinking along the lines of:

Mech KFF, Burna 105
Warboss Big Choppa, Shoota/scorcha, squig, heavy armor, ammo runt 93
2 x 11 boyz squads with Nob PK, BP 106 each
2 X 25 boyz squads with Nob PK, BP 190 each
2 X looted wagon boomgun 105 each

1000 points even.

the plan the Boss and the Mech join a 11 boy squad in their shiny new wagons. they remain with in 6 inches of each other giving each a 4+ inv save against hits. The boys stay close to the tanks also benifiting from cover. Basically the game plan is simple hall butt across the board. Spread the boys out so they don't get templated to death and use the boss an mech (and squad) to reinforce as necessary.

Doesn't look like much and you will have to be careful of don't touch that rolls, but this list should be simple and fun. As you go up in points remember that (unless I am misreading the rules)  KFF effectively gives vehicles a 4+ obscured save against any glancing or penetrating hits. Keep Kans and Dreads in close for added survivability.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
I think here is a good a place to start as any with my 'duties' as list reviewer.  So here we go.

---------------------------

1/ Army Composition - 8/10

The Big Mek combos nicely with the Boys on foot and the Kans, and there's certainly a good number of troops.  Very good composition score here, let down only by the lack of variety.

2/ Unit Upgrades - 5/10

Not terrible, but there's room for improvement here.  The Boy Mobs lack any heavy weaponry (which could be put to very good use by this army due to its lack of long range firepower) and the weapon options on the Kans and Dread could be more effecient (two Skorchas on the Deffdread, Grotzookas on one Kan mob and Rokkits on the other).  Mixed weapons rarely perform as well as expected.

3/ Army Theme - 5/10

A well themed Dread Bash list, but lacks any background material.  Adding a little info on the army's Klan (or Klans) and your bosses' names would be an excellent start.  List wise, nothing wrong here.

Tactical Overview - 6/10

Good, you've got the basic tactics down (which with a Dread Bash list with a Kustom Force Field is, essentially, 'charge!'.  You've also identified your main threats.  However, you've made no suggestion of how you might overcome such problems with the units in your list, but you do consider switching out something to bring in Deffkoptas (which would help round the army out, but might harm the overall theme of the list).

Army List Layout - 7/10

Not hard to understand and reasonably clearly laid out.  However, heavy use of abrieviations could confuse newer players.  You've mentioned your model count and kill point total, which is good, as is your overall grammar.  A good effort, needing only to expand the abbrieviations to become more newbie-friendly.

Army Pictures.

None, but no worries.  Add them if you have them and we'll all apprieciate it.

Total: 31/60 - Good

Nice post :) 

All you need to earn more brownie points in my book is to add pictures of your army, maybe a little background information (nothing major), then I can add a number of bonus points.  I predict if you added a little background and an army picture the score would be bumped up to around 40/60 points (great list).

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear