News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Points Terror Assault Competitive Night Lords  (Read 3137 times)

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
2000 Points Terror Assault Competitive Night Lords
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:47:37 PM »
Night Lords Vanguard Detachment

Hq
Night Lords Terminator Lord/claws of the black hunt/unholy fortitude/

Elites
5 Terminators w/power axes/5 combi-melta/
5 chosen w/5 combi-bolters/chain axe/

Flyer
Fire raptor w/quad heavy bolters/twin avenger bolt cannon/ hellstrike missiles/

Night Lords Spear Head
Hq
sorcerer w/combi-bolter/force axe/

Heavy support
Predator w/twin lascannons/lascannon sponsons/
3 Hellforged Rapier batteries w/quad heavy bolters/

Fast attack
5 bikers w/2 meltaguns/ power sword/

I used my previous post on this forum to improve my list. Although I have used cultists in the past as cheap screens there underwhelming performance and being swept aside by a strong breeze leave much to be desired. I have supplemented them with chosen units with combi-bolters. They are 5 man squads but are capable of pumping 20 shots into incoming enemy forces. Even at a minimum squad size they are about as durable as a 10 man cultist unit. I have a few options to deal with armour as well as infantry. I am not sure how this list will fair on a competitive stage, but I believe I can take on all comers with reasonable efficiency.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 2000 Points Terror Assault Competitive Night Lords
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
Alright, so how competitive are you thinking you want to be? You have some good elements in the list (fire raptor, predators) and some fairly lackluster elements (bolter chosen, bikes)

On the subject of cultists. Their job isn't to survive, but large screen units (20+ models in unit), are critical in Three roles.

1. To block charges.
2. To fill space to disrupt deepstriking units (stop T1 charges into valuable units).
3. Soak up smites for a turn or two.

Combi-Bolter chosen are just really terrible for the cost, and Cultists would be a much better investment for the above three reasons. Smite doesn't care about your armour save, and if something is going to kill 10 cultists, it'll kill 5 power armoured marines too, you might as well save the points.

Your army is also very static and slow. You need mobility to get to objectives in order to win games, or chase down folks.

The top armies in the game right now are (in no particular order).

1. Hive Tyrant spam (4-6 flying hive tyrants with support
2. Pox walker spam Death Guard (with an invincible wall of pox walkers)
3. Plauge Burst crawler spam Death Guard
4. Tzzangor Enlighted bow spam (70-80 Enlighted with support)
5. Ynnari Dark Eldar/Shinning Spear spam.

You can see the top 16 army lists from Adepticon (last big event) here. So, you should try to build your list in a way that you can beat, or compete agaisnt these sorts of lists.

Big blobs of Slaanesh Cultists are amazing, as you can pop 'vets of the long war', and the shoot twice strategem and then fire 120 shots (from a 30 man unit with autoguns), which get +1 to wound. Which means they'll wound nothing in the game worse than a 5+. It'll eliminate units, especially if you spent the CP to remove the unit from the board, redeploy at full strength from any table edge, and then shoot.

Speaking of that, you'll want to make sure to run at least a brigade +1 other detachment, or two brigades if you can, as CSM has some amazing strategems and you want to make sure you have the CP to use them.

One other thing I'd consider, is using the terminator lord, as a terminator sorcerer with warp time, so you can Deepstrike the terminators and the sorcerer, cast warp time on the terminators in order to guarentee a charge the turn they come in. You can then case Death Hex on whatever you want to charge, to make sure it has no Inv. Save. Death Hex will also be invaluble for fighting hive tyrants, as their 4++ save will stop half the lascannon shots going into them each turn otherwise.

These are some ideas.

As it stands, your list will do solid work in most pick up games. You'll have some hard counters, and you'll struggle at objective games. But, at tourniment play, you'll probably be in the upper middle half of the players (depending on the size and competititivness of the crowd).  You'll live or die based on the predators and Fire Raptor, as the rest of the list won't hold without them.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2018, 12:55:55 AM »
Thank you so much for the awesome feedback. I have a few questions we have pretty lack luster fast attack choices. I don't know what I could do to make the army more mobile. Do you think I should drop the Rapier batteries I thought they were a good infantry munching unit.

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
Night Lords Vanguard Detachment

Hq
Night Lords Terminator Sorcerer

Troops
20 cultists
20 cultists

Elites
5 Terminators w/power axes/reaper auto cannon/

Dedicated Transport
Rhino w/havoc launcher/

Flyer
Fire raptor w/quad heavy bolters/twin avenger bolt cannon/ hellstrike missiles/

Night Lords Spear Head
Hq
Terminator Sorcerer w/combi-bolter/force axe/

Heavy support
3 Hellforged Rapier batteries w/quad heavy bolters/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Thank you so much for the awesome feedback. I have a few questions we have pretty lack luster fast attack choices. I don't know what I could do to make the army more mobile. Do you think I should drop the Rapier batteries I thought they were a good infantry munching unit.

I'm kind of mixed on them. They do put out a lot of firepower for the cost, but are a huge target, and quite fragile. I don't know.

For mobility, you are right. All the fast attack choices are pretty bad. Although other units which can deep-strike are nice. Terminators, obliterators and warp-timed Daemon Princes are able to reach out and put pressure on folks.

The three preds is nice for the Kill shot stratagem. But, You should really try to get a battaltion detachment in there. the extra two CP can be very handy. I still think the chosen are the weakest part of the list. The only reason I'd take chosen, is to stick them in a rhino and spam combi-weapons (like plasma or melta), But terminators do that job better, as they can deepstrike.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria