News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119293 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »
Tau have some fantastic models, and almost the entire line is plastic, which is phenominal. You've got a lot of models to paint there bud!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
Tau have some really nice options, just watch out for minus to hit stacking as it really hurts as you'll be hitting on 5s or 6s. Huge volume of shots though. Always wanted to tag team my Eldar with Tau :)

There are 3rd parties that make some really nice minis for them too, check out wargameexclusive.co m

Thanks for the website, Mage, there are some really cool models on that website. Might have to grab some of the sculpts for some unique cadre fireblades :D.

Tau have some fantastic models, and almost the entire line is plastic, which is phenominal. You've got a lot of models to paint there bud!

Thanks, Squid, yeah I've always been a fan of most of the Tau range. I think they have enough Suits now, I hope GW starts looking at bringing back good xenos mercenary options for the Empire.

Yeah, I have a lot to paint  :P. Really waiting on that airbrush and still need to gather some more brushes before the work continues. I've got some Thralls down the pipeline, hopefully I'll be able to finish them soon. Funnily enough, I find the Thralls trickier to paint than the Akhelians. Their robes and the length of their weapons can be frustrating sometimes, haha :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
I gotta say how much I love thee skin tone. What colors did you use? This color scheme is still one of my favorites. Keep them coming.  8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2018, 12:53:43 AM »
Thanks Dread :).

Skintone: Rakarth Flesh + thin layer of Pallid Wych Flesh, and decided for a final layer/highlight of Deepkin Flesh

Skintone Shade: Druchii Violet + Lahmian Medium + Gulliman Blue

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Thanks so much. After Christmas I will pick those up for use on my DoK.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
Awesome, cannot wait to see your DoK on the forum :D. Are you picking up any new kits for Christmas?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
I wish, I got the book today. It'll be slow moving but I will aquire them maybe 1 kit a month. I'm gonna start with doom fire warlocks to add to what I have.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2018, 04:50:43 AM »
Love that skintone :) I need to experiment a little more with multiple different coloured washes (or did you mix them?).

Looking forward to the Tau too :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2018, 01:45:02 PM »
Love that skintone :) I need to experiment a little more with multiple different coloured washes (or did you mix them?).

Looking forward to the Tau too :)

Thanks, Ynnead :). Sorry I should have clarified about that wash for the skintone. I mix the Druchii Violet, Lahmian, and Gulliman blue together before shading the skin. I have also yet to try applying different colored washes in multiple shades ;D.

I wish, I got the book today. It'll be slow moving but I will aquire them maybe 1 kit a month. I'm gonna start with doom fire warlocks to add to what I have.

Doomfire warlocks I hear are very solid light cavalry, especially now that you can give them crossbows too. You should share the list once you come up with one. I've studied daughters of khaine, since when I was starting I wanted to build an army out of them. I don't think I will now though, already have Idoneth and Stormcast.

And now I'll have Tau Empire to finish. Then towards the end of the year, sisters of battle should be out, and I'll be hoping on that train :).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2018, 08:30:10 PM »
Slowly but certainly, the Tau'n Sept prepares to venture forth into the darkness of the galaxy to participate in the Fourth Sphere Expansion. Rumors have it that some reinforcements are likely to arrive sometime during the holidays!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
For the Greater Good!  ;D

I look forward to seeing how they turn out!  :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2018, 04:50:30 PM »
For the Greater Good!  ;D

I look forward to seeing how they turn out!  :)

Tau'va!!! ;D

I'm still trying to decide on a paint scheme, but I've narrowed it down to a handful. It's either N'dras (Blue-Green, Teal, and Black), Tau'n (Cold White and Dark Grey), or Sa'cea (Blue, grey, and orange).

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2018, 01:05:10 AM »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2018, 07:25:08 AM »
looking good :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
They seem to be multiplying. Make sure you don't get water on them or feed them after midnight.  ::)

Looking good Myen'Tal! That's starting to shape up to a nice force.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
Thanks guys! Our family is holding a late Christmas this weekend, fingers crossed for more stuff!

I think I'm going to hold off on building the Ghostkeel until I find myself a hobby drill and some magnets. I'd really like to try magnetizing the weapons and even the arms for once.

We'll see :).

Any Basing suggestions you guys want to throw out there?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #137 on: January 8, 2019, 09:25:41 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, I'm actually planning to relocate to a new city to start working a new job. I'll actually be moving into a house for the foreseeable future, and I'm preparing to utilize a piece of that much  larger space for... you guessed it! A new hobby area!

My painting has been on hold as I am packing stuff up and organizing it for the move this coming Friday. I don't have much stuff, sharing an apartment currently with one of siblings. It shouldn't take too long to get situated I think.

But I've avowed that once the hobby area is up and running, I'll be redoubling my efforts on the Idoneth! Really want to get this army readied for war!

So what have I been up to?

1) Bought my fourth Akhelian King Box, this time I'm planning on airbrushing him alongside my Eidolon.

2) Assembling a Ghostkeel Battlesuit.

3) Preparing to referee an AoS match between two friends to introduce them into the hobby.

4) Bought into temptation and acquired a good chunk of goblins. I've actually been hit with a cool idea to utilize a color wheel to find a nice triad of colors for them. Cyan + Purple + Orange. I'm thinking each Night Goblin unit will be painted in different variations of the Triad, but will retain the three main colors to keep them cohesive. The Squigs... well they will be more riotous in their color scheme! Wish me luck!

5) Gearing up to acquire an Airbrush and compressor. I'm looking at the Iwata Medea Eclipse HP CS and their Ninja jet Pro Compressor.

6) I also now have the ambition to start moving away from Citadel GW paint range. Now that they're going up in price again, coupled with the fact that they offer less paint, worse bottles that they come in compared to the competition, it just doesn't make sense to remain with it. I'm actually looking at the Vallejo Game and Game Air Range, perhaps coupled with some of their Mecha range paints. Anyone have any advice on how to best utilize these Vallejo paints?

7) Anyone have any ideas on how to create a gaming table for either 40000 or AoS? My friends and I might be interested in collaborating with each other to build one up. Especially with the new Urban Conquest book coming out soon!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #138 on: January 8, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »
Looks like you certainly have your plate full in the next little while. I dabbled in the world of air brushing, but mine has been sitting idle for half a year now. Good on you for doing some research and investing in some quality equipment. My problem is I always nickel and dime every project.

I built a games table a few years back. Basically 4x4 post legs attached with carriage bolts to a screwed square frame of 2x6s and reinforced in the middle with 2x4s on hangers. Even built it so the ply wood top could be removed and replaced in case I wanted to have different look.

There are a ton of designs on the web, but I don`t think you need to overthink it if your just looking for a nice flat surface to play on.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #139 on: January 8, 2019, 11:41:46 PM »
Looks like you certainly have your plate full in the next little while. I dabbled in the world of air brushing, but mine has been sitting idle for half a year now. Good on you for doing some research and investing in some quality equipment. My problem is I always nickel and dime every project.

Thanks, Dread, I've been watching so many airbrush beginner guides that it's not even funny! The Iwata Eclipse isn't the fanciest brush on the market, but it's super solid from what I hear. I'm not sure about the ninja jet compressor, but it's got good reviews. I'm willing to try it out though.

Yeah, I think I've taken on a lot recently. So I am on a haitus until I finish at least one army, haha :P. The Idoneth Army is assembled, it just needs to be painted now. So I'll be focusing on getting that completed.

I built a games table a few years back. Basically 4x4 post legs attached with carriage bolts to a screwed square frame of 2x6s and reinforced in the middle with 2x4s on hangers. Even built it so the ply wood top could be removed and replaced in case I wanted to have different look.

There are a ton of designs on the web, but I don`t think you need to overthink it if your just looking for a nice flat surface to play on.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not certain it'll be feasible as of right now, but one of my friends has been in the construction business for a while, and he wanted to give it a shot. Might just be simpler to use our local gaming stores :).