News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 5th Ed. Tyranid Tactics Display Thread (Don't Post in Me!)  (Read 17697 times)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
The 5th Ed. Tyranid Tactics Display Thread (Don't Post in Me!)
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:40:49 AM »
{UPDATE2: The skeleton for the army list has been completed and is awaiting content. -GaleRazorwind}

This is the display thread for our 5th Edition Tactica. This is where you will find all of the compiled information that has been contributed. There are two rules for this thread.

First, and most importantly,
DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! (unless you're me, GaleRazorwind of HFBEB, or you have my permission)

I want to keep this thread crystal clear with no discussions, arguments/debates, or any information I didn't approve (this is mainly a quality check. I'm not trying to exclude people on the other side of the fence from me on the debated topics, I'm just making sure nothing obviously untrue gets in here.) If you would like to crontibute, please take a look at the current thread explaining the rules (link V4.0). Credit is given to whoever submitted the entry, but as most entries require editing for format issues and often require additional information or a reorganization of information, always assume that the entry was edited and likely added to by me (I'm saying this here because I don't want to have to put "edited by GaleRazorwind" after every entry...).

Second, while under normal circumstances, it would be against the rules to double post, or *gasp* triple post(!), this is not a normal circumstance. As I'm basically the only one who will post here, I reserve the right to put in as many consecutive posts as needed to keep the information organized, and since this should be stickied, I won't really be bumping my own thread. What I plan to do is create a post for each specific topic and link to each post via a table of contents so anyone can simply start at this first post, find the unit/topic they are looking for, and be taken directly to it without the need to search through miles of text. I am going to create the ToC skeleton now and simply hyperlink the text as the information is added. I will mark what the status of each choice is until the thread is complete.

Any questions, comments, or concerns can be sent to me via PM. Don't post them in this thread!

Table of Contents:
Units:
     HQ:
        Hive Tyrant (complete)
        Swarmlord (complete)
        Tyrant Gaurd (complete)
        Tervigon (complete)
        Tyranid Prime (complete)
        The Parasite of Mortrax (complete)
     Elites:
        Hive Gaurd (complete)
        Lictor (incomplete)
        Deathleaper (complete)
        Venomthrope (complete)
        Zoanthrope (complete)
        The Doom of Malan'tai (complete)
        Pyrovore (incomplete)
        Ymgarl Genestealer (complete)
     Troops:
        Tyranid Warrior (incomplete)
        Genestealer (complete)
        Mycetic Spore (complete)
        Termagant (incomplete)
        Hormagaunt (complete)
        Ripper Swarm (incomplete)
     Fast Attack:
        Tyranid Shrike (incomplete)
        Ravener (incomplete)
        Sky-Slasher Swarm (incomplete)
        Gargoyle (complete)
        Harpy (incomplete)
        Spore Mine (incomplete)
     Heavy Support:
        Carnifex (incomplete)
        Old One Eye (complete)
        Biovore Brood (incomplete)
        Trygon/Prime (incomplete)
        Mawlock (incomplete)
        Tyrannofex (incomplete)

(Well, looks like my work is cut out for me...)

Did I mention to NOT post in this thread? I think I did, but just incase, do NOT post in this thread! I mean it!
« Last Edit: April 1, 2011, 11:31:01 PM by GaleRazorwind »
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
Re: The 5th Ed. Tyranid Tactics Display Thread (Don't Post in Me!)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
Hive Tyrant

Courtesy of GaleRazorwind:

The Hive Tyrant is a very powerful, but expensive, HQ unit. It can take many different loadouts to fulfill various roles in the army. It has psychic powers, special abilities, powerful weapons, and heavy combat potential. It is also a vital provider of Synapse to keep the lesser creatures in line.

Pros:
1. Great weapons
2. Monstrous Creature
3. Amazing support abilities
4. Synapse/Shadow in the Warp

Cons:
1. Gets expensive really fast
2. Big/high priority target that is difficult or expensive to hide
3. Only has a 3+ save and no invulnerable save

Options:

Weapon Options:

Lash Whip and Bonesword: This comes standard. The Lash will give the Tyrant an edge in CC thanks to the reduced initiative. While his I is usually sufficient to go first, the lack of assault grenades means that a charge through cover would result in going last, but the Lash will allow you to go simul with those in base contact. The Bonesword is a bit of a waste as MCs already ignore armor saves. The only plus is the ID potential.

Scything Talons: Also comes standard. These things can be very useful to almost any build. With the Tyrant's WS, he is likely hitting on a 3+, so being able to reroll half of your misses is a very good thing, especially considering his relatively low number of attacks.

More Scything Talons: Having 2 pairs of Talons may be a bit of an overkill. Even a Tyrant that specializes in CC may be better off taking a gun. As mentioned above, with a single pair, you are already hitting on 3+ and rerolling half your misses, so the free set of Talons have an opportunity cost of spending points for something better.

Twin-Linked Deathspitter: This is a cheap option for giving a Tyrant a ranged gun, but a TL Tau Burst Cannon isn't exactly a very fearsome weapon. The twin-link doesn't make up for the low number of shots.

Twin-Linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms: The "Dakka-Tyrant" is alive and blasting! The Devourer has a few changes. First, there is no longer a reroll to wound, however, with S6, you are generally wounding on a 2+, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Two pairs of these on a Flyrant with Old Adversary is a very deadly mix of speed and power. There are plenty of times when you are out of range or will gain little benefit from casting Paroxysm, so the added firepower is very nice to have available. Old Adversary will allow you to retain your rerolls to hit (as well as give this ability to nearby units).

Stranglethorn Cannon: This seems like it would be a good choice for some anti-infantry firepower. A good strength and Pinning are nice for taking out infantry and supporting your little guys on the advance, but it becomes fairly useless once you reach enemy lines as there is too great a risk of shooting your own guys.

Heavy Venom Cannon: This is a very popular choice for Tyrants as it gives a good platform for shooting vehicles. Whether you even do anything to those vehicles is a very different story. I've seen them used in multiple games and do hardly anything, mostly because they fail to even glance, but that could be chalked up to poor rolling. If you glanced, you have to deal with a -3 modifier to the damage table, but if you pen, you don't have to worry about the vehicle blowing up.

Thorax Swarm: This is a fairly expensive option that will not likely be used more than once, as Tyrants tend to die quickly. Add on the fact that you can't take it with wings, and suddenly the ability to fire a flamer on top of your other weapons becomes a bit moot since you may never get into flamer range in the first place.

Abilities Options:

Hive Commander: This is one of the more popular choices. The boost to reserve rolls is incredibly useful for supporting a reserves army, and you even get to make a troops unit outflank, too. I suggest outflanking a unit of Hormagaunts as they can likely reach a viable target from the board edge, but they aren't too expensive and won't be missed if they get plastered.

Indescribable Horror: This is probably the least taken choice. It basically gives you "The Horror" power from the old codex, except you have to pay a chunk of points for it and it can't be as effective as it was, and the main reason for that is that you can't run a Psychic Choir list anymore, so there isn't a -5 Ld penalty to put attacking units at Ld3-4 when they make the morale test. Without that modifier, it is a breeze for most units to pass the test, and now your fancy upgrade does nothing.

Old Adversary: This is likely the second most popular choice. When given to a Tyrant with wings, you can quickly move your "bubble" across the field to give Preferred Enemy to nearby units. However, it may be difficult to get your Tyrant where he is needed if he has to walk.

Biomorph Options:

Adrenal Glands: A Tyrant has little need for Furious Charge unless you plan to send him after vehicles. He is already I5, so he goes before most things, and with S6, he already wounds most things on a 2+. Having S7 on the charge will make cracking vehicles much easier, though. Against regular vehicles, you'll be penatrating on a 4+ on 2D6, and against all those AV12 walkers, you'll only need a 6+ on 2D6 to penatrate. AV14 is still a tough nut to crack with an 8+ on 2D6.

Toxin Sacs: This is pretty pointless. A 2+ to wound is better than a rerollable 4+ to wound. This would only help against the things with crazy high toughness (C'Tan/Wraithlords), or against other T6 creatures.

Acid Blood: This is unlikely to do much if your Tyrant never makes it into CC, but a Flyrant may find a use for it. Depending on whether the limit on how many wounds you can cause with this is the creature's current number of wounds or if it is unlimited (waiting for FAQ), you may have only one or two wounds left by the time you reach combat, so it could be very ineffective.

Implant Attack: This is another chance to cause Instant Death, and is probably about as likely to cause ID as the Bonesword the Tyrant starts with. Unless you plan to be going after multiwound enemies, don't bother taking this.

Toxic Miasma: This is a neat defensive biomorph, but, like many of them, it is so highly situational that it is likely going to do nothing. It is rare to have a Tyrant locked in combat for more than a turn, as either the Tyrant dies or he kills the enemy/sweeps them.

Regeneration: This is on the cheaper side for Regenerate, but the odds of having it do anything on a 4 wound model are slim. The Tyrant will either be dead before he uses it, or he won't have enough damage caused to him to increase the probability of rolling a 6. Save this for the 6 wound models when you have points to spare.

Armoured Shell: Yay, we can give our Tyrant a 2+ save for almost twice as much as it used to cost. I think you may be better off spending a few more points on a Tyrant Gaurd so you can get cover saves from little things and siphon off some wounds from the main event.

Wings: As if our wings weren't overpriced in the last dex, they actually made them more expensive! However, this is just about the only biomorph that is actually worth taking, though it would not benefit all builds. As mentioned earlier, a Flyrant is great for CC, as well as bringing Old Adversary to bear.

Psychic Powers:
The Tyrant gets any two of the following four options:

The Horror: Meh. Without any negative Ld modifiers, this power is likely going to do nothing.

Leech Essence: This is a useful power. This is the other way you can regain lost wounds, and likely better than Regenerate ever could. Use it when you're hurt and don't need to use a different psychic power.

Paroxysm: The other useful power. This is best used with a coordinated assault by another unit like Hormagaunts or Termagants. Making your Hormies and Termies hit on a 3+ and having the enemy hit you back on a 5+ is a beautiful thing! It will greatly increase the survivability of your models.

Psychic Scream: Spirit Leech Lite. The whole Ld test + wounds for each point failed is probably going to do nothing but waste time rolling dice. A 2D6 Ld test is very easy to pass, and unlike the Doom of Malan'Tai, the Tyrant does not regain wounds from this attack. Just leave this attack to the proffessional (The Doom).

Tactics:
The Hive Tyrant is a powerful fighter, but he is a bit of a lightweight when it comes to taking fire, so you need to protect him. While he is more than capable of wreaking havok on his own, he is most useful when he is supporting the rest of the army. This is either achieved via abilities like Old Adversary or with the psychic power Paroxysm. In order to keep him alive on the approach, take him with at least one Tyrant Gaurd and create a traditional tiered line of Nid cover (E.G. Termagants in front of Hormagaunts in front of Venomthropes in front of Tyrant and Gaurd).

Common Builds:

I believe the two most common builds are based on either Hive Commander or Old Adversary, and usually look a little something like this.

Hive Commander: Heavy Venom Cannon, Scything Talons, Hive Commander, Leech Essence, Paroxysm, 1-3 Tyrant Gaurd.

This build is great for supporting a reserves list. The Tyrant can start on the table and shoot at stuff from long range until your main force arrives, while the bonus to your reserve rolls helps to ensure more things come on as soon as possible. He can then move forward to support incoming units with Paroxysm.

Old Adversary (choppy): Either Lash Whip and Bonesword and Scything Talons or two pairs of Scything Talons, Old Adversary, Wings, Leech Essence, and Paroxysm.

Old Adversary (shooty): Two Twin-Linked Devourers, Old Adversary, Wings, Leech Essence, and Paroxysm.

This build is meant for rapid response and close support of your troops. It is meant for getting Preferred Enemy to the area that needs it most, and providing covering fire/extra CC punch when it gets there. I listed two different weapon loadouts because they have the ability to specialize for a price or to conserve points. The choppy build saves you some points as those weapons are all free/standard, and while Preferred Enemy gives you rerolls against things with WS, it doesn't help at all versus normal vehicles, but the Scything Talons do work. Now, if you aren't bothered by the lack of rerolls against vehicles, and have some extra points, going with the "Dakka" option will maximize the amount of anti-infantry potential the OA Tyrant can bring to the field.

Personal Experience and Opinions:
I rarely use a Tyrant anymore, which is sad since I used to use two of them all the time with the old codex. They have simply become so expensive that they are really a "luxury" unit. If I'm not playing at at least 1850 points, a Hive Tyrant is simply not going to fit into my list. I do love having one, even if it only lives through turn 2, as I love running a reserves heavy army and that bonus makes a huge difference in how many of my guys come in on turn 2. Other than that, he tends not to do much but sit there and look pretty with the radar dish on his head (enhanced senses). And it is for all of these reasons that a 200 point Tervigon is my HQ of choice.

---------------------------------
Courtesy of Marikar:

Pros:
MC = big scare factor
able to join unit of Tyrant guard
can be given 2+ save
can be given wings
New psychic attacks/options
can ID enemies with Bonesword
More attacks standard than it used to have.

Cons:
basic SM level save.
Cost is going to be 200+ for a usefull tyrant and he will be a fire magnet.
Anti Psyker armies mess his abilities up somewhat.   ie Eldar runes of witnessing etc....

Options:
Hive Commander - usefull as it aids the bringing on of reserves and allows a troop unit to outflank (outflanking tervigon!)
Indescribable Horror - This is the Horror power he used to have.   With the large number of fearless units in the game this is next to useless.   But it could be really effective against IG armies.
Old Adversary - My favourite as it gives preferred enemy to all units in 6"  The only drawback is the need to keep up with the front lines of your assault to benefit from this and some units that have re rolls to hit already won't benefit at all.

Psykic powers
The Horror - a ranged version of Indescribable horror making a unit fall back if it fails a moral check.  Again useless against fearless units.    There are other powers that are much better.
Leech Essence - A good power to take as it is up to 3 hits at ap2.  The Tyrant gains the wounds back for itself.   
Paroxism - Also a good power as this reduces the enemy's ability to fight reducing 1 enemy unit to WS and BS of 1
Psychic Scream - Can be usefull against low Ld enemies, but is a bit hit and miss.  This power currently needs a FAQ to clarify what it effects.

Weapon Options:

Bonesword & LashWhip - Power weapon that has the possibility to ID.  LW reduces I of enemies in base contact to 1
a usefull combination for a CC Tyrant. The bonesword gets better if you use 2 of them.
Scything talons - Grant re rolls of 1's .  Useless if you have taken the Old Adversary rule, otherwise a cheep way of getting re rolls to hit.
Deathspitters - Not a good option for a Tyrant as there are other ranged weapons with better strength for the same cost.
Devourers with Brainleech - much better option than the previous as the Strength is higher.
Stranglethorn cannon -  a good strong choice for anti infantry, not very usefull for antiarmour.
Venom Cannon - a good Anti armour choice, but very weak against heavily armoured vehicles like the LR or Monolith and particularly poor against Eldar tanks with protective runes.

Biomorphs:
Adrenal Glands - Not worth taking on a tyrant since you will generally have a higher I and S7 isn't any better than S6 IMHO.
Toxin Sacs - again not usefull unless you are going up against very high (T9 - 10) enemies, especially since this will actually reduce your chance to wound any creature with T4 or less.
Implant Attack - causes ID but is not really that usefull unless you are going character hunting. not the best use for a Tyrant .
Toxic Miasma - again this is simply not effective enough to be usefull.
Regeneration - High cost for a poor chance to gain a wound back.  The Psykic power Leech Essence is much more usefull and does the same.  Although this works when you are locked in combat.

Thorax Options:
Thorax Swarm - A close attack template that I don't think is good enough to justify the cost.  I can't see a tyrant getting to use this more than once a game if at all.
Armoured Shell - This is very usefull as it gives a 2+ save.
Wings - Very costly but excellent upgrade for a Tyrant.

Tactics:
There are only really 2 options .
1. Turn your Tyrant into a CC monster and decide if you want to get into the fight very quickly.  If so then use wings.  The other option for a CC tyrant is to take guard. Give him Armoured shell and walk him up to the  enemy, but try to make sure he has cover.  Note that a Tyrant in combat with an enemy with power weapons is not very survivable. especially if the enemy has high enough strength and an invulnerable save.

2.A support Tyrant.  Give him a good shooting weapon and sit back.  The drawback with this is its an expensive gun platform and there are cheaper ways of getting those. (A fex, just!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:01:24 PM by GaleRazorwind »
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2010, 01:09:13 AM »
The Swarmlord

(Courtesy of Hive Fleet Bahamut, edited by Gale Razorwind)

Our first new special character, the Swarmlord, is a powerhouse in CC with powerful support abilities. Although slow moving and expensive, his presence alone can strike fear into an opponent’s heart.

Pros:
-Nothing wants to fight him in CC
-Useful support abilities: reserves bonus, outflanking re-rolls, and USR granting.
-18” Synapse range and gets to use 2 psychic powers.
-4+ invulnerable save in CC and WS9

Cons:
-Extremely high points cost.
-High priority target and only a 3+ save.
-Typically needs Tyrant Guards for protection.
-Has to walk and doesn’t have Fleet.

Psychic Powers:

The Horror: Possibly the least useful power. The odds of the enemy failing their Ld test is small, and if you happen to succeed and the enemy falls back, you likely would not be able to assault that unit and would be barred from assaulting anything else because the power is a shooting attack.

Leech Essence: This is the second most useful power. While difficult to cause wounds with due to low S, the chance to recover wounds is priceless, and since the Swarmlord gets two psychic powers a turn, you don’t have to choose between this and Paroxysm.

Paroxysm: This power is considered the most useful psychic power for Tyrants. Nerfing an opponent’s WS and BS is an amazing ability. One problem with Tyranids is that they tend to be squishy, so making it harder to hit them is extremely useful. In CC, in general, all of our units will hit on 3s and all enemies will hit us on 5s.

Psychic Scream: Spirit Leech Light. While it has potentially twice the range of Spirit Leech, only causing a normal Ld test and not regaining any wounds means you likely won’t do anything with it. Stick to Paroxysm and Leech Essence.

Like most special characters, the Swarmlord has no options beyond taking Tyrant Guard, but he gets all four Tyrant psychic powers and an array of special rules to help your army. Even if you use him specifically for area denial, his supporting abilities can still be useful. One of the most popular tactics is to use his outflank re-roll to ensure Genestealers arrive where they need to be.

Unfortunately, the Swarmlord is usually a massive points sink in smaller games, and you are generally better off with a Tyranid Prime or a regular Tyrant until at least a 1500 point game, and preferably closer to 2000 points. However, for those who enjoy using Genestealers, it may be worth trying to squeeze him in.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 10:23:53 PM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2010, 01:25:52 AM »
Tyrant Gaurd

Tyrant Gaurd:

The Tyrant Gaurd is basically a meat-shield to protect a Tyrant and aid him in CC. 1-2 are a must have for any walking Tyrant.

Pros:
-Durable unit with high T and marine save.
-Giving cover to a Gaurd gives cover to a Tyrant, an otherwise difficult task.
-Can be equipped with defensive or offensive weapons

Cons:
-An expensive unit made even more expensive in the new dex.
-Can only get either a Whip or a single Bonesword.
-Have to be equipped the same, so no more wound allocation fun.

Weapon Options:

Lashwhip: a cheap option that forfeits the Scything Talon reroll to reduce enemy I in B2B to 1, which is helpful for the Gaurd as it allows them to strike before the ones in B2B. The Tyrant is already fast enough that it doesn't matter, except when charging through cover. Of course, this upgrade is taken with the hope that the Gaurd will live long enough to see combat.

Bonesword: I'm not entirely sure how they can have only a single Bonesword and nothing else. What is on their other arm? Anyway, this is an expensive upgrade for an already expensive unit, and as mentioned before, he may never get to use it due to dieing first. However, if you have free points and multiple Gaurd, the power weapon would be a nice compliment to the unit's other abilities.

The Tyrant Gaurd is a great unit to have for your Tyrant. If you want to keep things cheap, don't give them any upgrades. I consider one of them mandatory if you have a walking Tyrant, as all you have to do to give the Tyrant cover is stick the Gaurd behind some Gaunts/Gants, and suddenly, your gigantic MC has a 4+ cover save, which is the real trick. Of course, if you have to, you can always stick a wound on the Gaurd to keep your Tyrant safe.

Now, most people are stuck in the mindset that Tyrant Gaurd have to join a Tyrant, which is no longer true. An interesting possibility would be to take a Flyrant, 3 Gaurds, and a Tyranid Prime. The Flyrant can go off and do his thing while the Tyranid Prime hides in a unit with a majority T6, which makes him harder to wound than if he were with Warriors.

Courtesy of Marikar:

Tyrant Guard.

Tyrant Guard were considered to be indespensable to a walking tyrant.
Tyrant guard are supposed to be used to protect a hive tyrant.  However the New tyrant guard have some new abilities and an increased point cost to go with it.
This is essentially a free unit (doesn't take up a FOC slot! that is) Although you can only field as many broods as you have tyrants or the Swarmlord.

Pro's:
A tyrant or Swarmlord may join
High toughness with Str and T the same as a tyrant.
can take LW
can take a Bonesword
The other Independent Character the Tyranid Prime may join this unit.

Con's:
High individual cost
Can only take either the LW or Bonesword not both.

Options
Comes with Scything talons and Rending Claws
Scything talons allow re rolls of 1's to hit.  Note useless if a joined tyrant has the Old Adversary rule.
Rending gives a chance to cause a Power weapon hit.

Optional.
You will lose the re-roll to hit if you use either of these.
Lashwhip. Reduces enemy in base contact to I1.  This is usefull but you will lose re rolls to hit.  this can be considered if you are going to use a tyrant with the Old Adversary rule.
BoneSword.  Power weapon that has a chance to cause ID.  These are usefull in combat.  However Guard rarely manage to get into combat unless charged by something early in the game.  These may therefore work as a deterant to enemy charging the tyrant and joined Guard.

Abilities.
Blind rampage is a nice new ability for the Tyrant Guard, but I don't think this is going to come into play that often as the guard are usually dead before the tyrant.
Shieldwall:  This is the rule that allows a tyrant to join as if it is an IC.

Use.
In high point games then these guys are a must for a walking tyrant.  However it is hard to justify tyrant guard use in games of around 1000pnts or less as they are very expensive and the amount of shooting that can easily hurt the hive tyrant will probably be limited.
Guard on their own armed with boneswords can make an interesting CC unit even without a joined Tyrant and your opponent might get caught on the hop as they are not expecting their use in this way.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:05:24 PM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2010, 02:26:24 AM »
Tervigon

Courtesy of Master Titan BT:

A great option be it utilized as a HQ or a Troops option.  If you have the extra Troops slot use him as a Troops to make him scouring.  If you don't have any HQ slots filled then this is a good choice as well.

Pros:

Monstrous Creature and all those benefits
Strong, Tough, and Resilient to wounds
Synapse
Spawns Termagants
Psyker
SitW
Nearby Termagants use his Leadership value
If using Adrenal Glands and/or Toxin Sacs then nearby Termagants benefit from it as well

Cons:

MC- An easy target
Wounded easy by high St low AP weaponry
If the Tervigon dies he hurts nearby Termagants
Losing the ability to Spawn Termagants is very high
Weak in Close Combat

Psychic Powers:

Dominion- Good if you need to increase your Synaptic Range or if you are lacking Synaptic Creatures as well as your opponent already killed your Synaptic creatures.  It's already included with the cost so that is nice.

Catalyst- This is a power that you should always invest in.  Granting FNP to a nearby unit that is in cover will help increase their survivability.  You can grant this ability to Hormagaunts and have them assault the enemy and have a better survival rate for example.  This combo helps many CC oriented units and is pretty much self explanatory.

Onslaught- I haven't used this and am not sure that I will.  I will leave this open to anyone who has used it.

Biomorph:

Scything Talons- Definitely worth the points as comes highly suggested.  Who doesn't want re-rolls of 1s' To Hit?  With his low WS he can benefit from making his low amount of attacks count.

Crushing Claws- Quite expensive for a random low increase in attacks.  Without actually doing math hammer I am sure that with the re-rolls of 1s' from Scy/Tals the outcome would be equal to or better in CC.

Adrenal Glands- Grants Furious Charge to the Tervigon and nearby Termagants.  The Tervigon himself really won't benefit from it but if you plan to have the extra points as well as several Termagant units nearby then it can be worth the investment.  Not a bad option, I would take Toxin Sacs over this Biomorph if your limited to one or the other.  If charging MEq units then Toxin Sacs are still going to wound with 4+ rolls the same as Toxin Sacs.  If your Termagants are assaulting into cover then this is wasted.

Toxin Sacs- A must take on all Tervigons and comes highly suggested.  Nearby Termagants benefit from it and with their low St the 4+ To Wound is very nice indeed!  A no brainer here!

Acid Blood- Not a bad option if you are seeing a lot of CC with your Tervigon but if your losing your Tervigon to shooting then this would be a waste of points.  Generally your going to have several units of Termagants or other units within Synapse to counter assaults to your Tervigon.  With the use of the better Biomorph adding this one makes the Tervigon quite expensive.

Implant Attack- Again, if not seeing CC frequently then this would be wasted points as well as the Tervigon being a bit slow to catch up to multi-wound models to utilize.  The Tervigon doesn't exactly have a lot of attacks to roll 6s' very often, generally the MC benefit of ignoring armour saves is sufficient.

Toxic Miasma- The Tervigon has a very nice Toughness value and Vs. GEq and MEq units you will most likely win a Toughness check causing additional wounds to your opponent.  Again, only utilize if you anticipate the Tervigon seeing a lot of CC.

Regeneration- Quite expensive for a 1/6th of a chance to regain lost wounds the previous turn.  I won't be using it.  The Tervigon has a nice amount of wounds and a good save so you shouldn't really need to take this unless your opponent is targetting massed firepower to your Tervigon.

Cluster Spines- Its free and better than the Stinger Salvo IF you need to shoot at large horde armies like Orks or other bugs.  The Stinger Salvo is good if shooting at GEq armies.  This weapon is completely situational and should be based on what you anticipate your opponent to bring to the table.

Suggested Setup:  Tervigon, Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, and Catalyst = 190 pts.  Add Adrenal Glands if you have the points.  Anything more tends to bee too expensive.

Primary Objectives:

Providing Synapse
"Boosting" other units
To hold objectives as a Troops choice
To deny objectives as an HQ choice

-----------------------------------

More to come when I finish my contribution

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
Tyranid Prime:

The Tyranid Prime is Hive Tyrant Light. He is a powerful warrior with a cheap price tag, which makes him a great choice for low-point games.

Pros:
-T5 makes it harder to ID him
-Grants his BS and WS to Warriors he joins
-Very cheap points cost
-Synapse/Shadow in the Warp

Cons:
-Can't take wings, so he has to walk
-Can't ride in another squad's Mycetic Spore

CC Weapon Options (replacing Scything Talons):

Scything Talons (ST) (Default): The reroll granted by the ST is helpful, especially if you attack a vehicle. I wouldn't recommend keeping these Talons unless you want to keep the Prime as cheap as possible.

Rending Claws (RC): This is a cheap way to increase his effectiveness against vehicles, as well as adding the potential for ignoring armor saves.

Dual-Boneswords (DBS): This upgrade is highly recommended. He gets plenty of attacks and this will help him slice through anything shy of Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators. It can also make him highly effective against multi-wound models as the 3D6 Ld test can be very difficult to pass.

Bonesword+Lash whip (BS/LW): Another recommended upgrade. This sacrifices the extra D6 for the ID Ld test in order to gain the penalty to the enemy's initiative. This can be helpful when he is with a squad of Warriors as it can allow some of them to go first, however, the DBS will save a few points and may be more effective.

Ranged Weapon Options (Replaces Devourer):

Devourer (Dev) (Default): This is actually a decent ranged weapon for the Prime, as his high BS means you will be hitting with more of your shots.

Rending Claws: Meh. If you want him to have a little more anti-tank power, this could help, but you are better off keeping the ranged weapon.

Spinefists (SF): 4 weak shots are not going to help you much, so don't bother.

Deathspitter (DS): A cheap ranged upgrade. BS4 makes a big difference in how effective the DS is, so it may be worth the extra points.

Scything Talons: These can be worth taking if you have DBS, as the reroll will help a lot.

Biomorphs:

Adrenal Glands (AG): Furious Charge could be a little bit of a waste on the Prime as he already has S5 and I5, but if you are sending him character hunting, the extra point of I could make a huge difference. Against a vehicle, it would help him get a few more pens.

Toxin Sacs (TS): This is a "must have" upgrade. 4+ Poison means that even the toughest enemies will fall to your DBS. S5 means you will almost always be getting a reroll to wound. Against T3 or lower, this becomes a disadvantage (3/4 vs 5/6), but it will help you more than it will hurt you.

Regeneration (Regen): This is the cheapest Regen in the codex, and is recommended unless you are really strapped for points. Given that your Prime is attached to another squad, the amount of firepower dedicated to him will be low enough that you will actually gain some benefit from regenerating a lost wound.

Popular Builds:
CC Monster: DBS, ST, TS: This is a cheap but very powerful CC build. Between Toxin, Power Weapons with high chance of causing ID, and a partial reroll to hit, you can pretty much end anything without Eternal Warrior or a really good Invuln.

Tactics:

To get the most out of a Tyranid Prime, it is best to put him in a squad of Warriors. In order to take advantage of the increased BS, everyone should have a DS, as well as DBS and Toxin. This allows them to shoot on the approach before slicing whatever they touch to little tiny pieces.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »
The Parasite of Mortrex:

The Parasite is the second new special character. Essentially a giant Gargoyle that can create Ripper Swarms by killing people, the Parasite is generally considered a "for fun" character, and boy is he fun!

Pros:
-High Strength
-Good Save
-Independant Character
-Rending+Implant Attack = auto ID on a 6 to wound
-Chance to spawn Ripper Swarms when he kills people
-Chance to spawn Ripper Swarms when an enemy unit arrives via outflank
-Fast, I6 and Jump Infantry
-Synapse(24" for Rippers)/Shadow in the Warp

Cons:
-T4 means he can be easily IDed
-Has no natural ability to reroll his to hit or to wound rolls
-Mildly Expensive for what he does
-Really needs a supporting unit to do well

I've been experimenting with a large Fast Attack wing (Gargs, Shrikes, Harpy, Flyrant, and the Parasite), and I have to say that the Parasite is actually a really fun model to have. I usually start him off with the Shrikes, but remember that he can jump around and hide in nearby squads, or go solo if need be. He usually causes a few deaths in CC, but the real fun starts when the number of Rippers start to grow. Rippers usually seem pretty useles, but with a little creativity, they can be more than just a tarpit. You can use them to provide some cover to the Parasite, and you can line them up between you and the enemy, making it difficult to assault the Parasite.

Rippers have a psychological effect to them. They are really great for annoying the hell out of your opponent because they disrupt his movements and provide immediate threats he has to deal with or else have to spend a few turns hacking through them. This gives you the chance to move in for the kill.

However, keep in mind that the Parasite needs some backup. He isn't going to kill a whole lot by himself, and with T4 and a 3+ save, he can be overwhelmed fairly easily. DBS+ST+TS Shrikes are really nice to have around, as they typically kill anything they touch. Plus, the majority toughness of the unit is 4, as opposed to 3 if he was with Gargoyles.

I believe that when used properly, the Parasite can actually be competitive, and he can bring some smiles to your face when you get lucky and spawn a dozen Ripper Swarms from a single combat.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 03:39:47 AM »
Hive Guard:

Hive Gaurd play a crucial role in a Tyranid Army. They are excellent can openers and tend to shred through lightly armored vehicles, and they can even be used to ID Characters.

Pros:
-Puts out lots of high S shots at a good BS
-Impaler Cannon ignores LOS and denies most cover saves
-High T means increased survivability
-Extremely cheap for what it does

Cons:
-4+ save
-Short range on Impalor Cannon
-Takes up an Elites slot

The Hive Gaurd is one of the best units you can take for your precious Elites slots. They work best in broods of 2-3. Depending on the situation, the way you use them may be different. For instance, you could camp them on an objective out of LOS to deter the enemy from advancing (area denial), or if you want to be more offensive, you can walk them up the field at the back of your lines (lots of potential cover for them). This tactic is perfect for the Hive Gaurd as it allows them to advance in relative safety while still putting them in range to pop transports so the front lines can rip their contents to shreds. Because the IC ignores LOS and cover saves for being obscured from LOS, you won't have to worry about them not being able to see their target and not giving them a cover save.

If there are no good vehicle targets in range, you can divert some fire to taking out characters with T4 or less and no EW. Yes, they will usually get their armor save, but with S=2xT ID, they won't be getting FNP and it only takes one bad roll to end them.

Do try to keep in mind that your HG are meant for taking out lightly armored vehicles. AV12 is about the limit of when they stop being effective. That is what Zoanthropes are for, so leave the heavy blasting to them.

From personal experience and listening to others experience, it seems that there are some weird trends in dice rolls depending on the player. Some people seem to have terrible luck when it comes to Hive Gaurd, while others have extremely good luck with them. This is almost always inversely proportional to that player's luck with Zoanthropes. Because of this, I recommend trying out both to see what combination works the best for you.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2010, 05:01:50 AM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 03:43:33 AM »
Lictors

(Coutesy of Hive Fleet Bahamut, edited by GaleRazorwind)

(This entry needs more information regarding tactics.)

The lictors are amongst the first 'Nids on the planet, usually ahead of the lines with genestealers.  They wreak havoc on key targets and are strong enough to even insta-kill many T3 units.  This is made up for by their frail profile and limited entry into battle.

Pros:
-Flesh hooks can shoot and are ASSAULT GRENADES for the lictor
-Rending claws and 3A S6 + hit n run,
-Superb deepstrike method and "homing beacon"

Con's:
-Mildy expensive and no durability
-Phermone trail rarely comes into play (can't get lictors in until turn 2 min.)
-Can no longer assault on the turn he arrives from reserves
-Takes up a valuable Elites slot

Tactics:
 These guys can be a little tricky, and definitely are better used in a list that supports them, and makes benefit from reserves.  They are problem solvers though and although they can't assault out of deepstrike, they can still home in your other deepstrikers. Not to mention that flesh hooks can wreck most tanks, (no exploding on the lictor due to -AP) and the close combat effectiveness really make these guys have to choose appropriate targets, because they will not survive in combat with anything CC, unless overwhelmed by your other units. In which they really shine, because they can hit n run repeatedly gaining the extra attacks and staying away from getting hurt.

The Lictors still serve as pre-frontline assaulty goodness.  In combination with outflanking/infiltrating Stealers and/or Ymgarls, nowhere in the opponents deployment will be safe, from turn 2.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:26:38 PM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 03:44:04 AM »
The Deathleaper

(Courtesy of Hive Fleet Bahamut, edited by GaleRazorwind)

Deathleaper is all about nasty tricks and hit and run tactics.  No one does it better in our codex, and with all the special rules he gets and WS9, he can be tricky to take out, regardless of his poor durability. (Same as other lictors in frail regards.)

Pros:
-Impressive CC stats: WS9, I7, 4A
-Lots of funnily named special rules to cause disruption.
-It's After Me nerfs a character's Ld
-Enemies wanting to shoot the Deathleaper must roll for Night Fight and halve distance
-Rends on 5+ instead of 6+

Cons:
-Over 2x cost of regular Lictor
-Frail and insta-killable
-It's After Me's -d3 Ld can result in 1...  Not so great

Tactics: The same rules apply for Deathleaper as regular Lictors except for the fact he is harder to hit in combat, hits harder back and can "teleport" around the table to contest objectives or pesky squads if need be while constantly handicapping any enemies nearby, not to mention that lovely 18" max spotting distance the enemy can achieve (Better than a Harlequin's even.)  Just keep him away from CC specialists and he will taunt your opponent until one of you is dead.

When choosing a target for It's After Me, there is a general priority for who to use it on, which would go in approximately this order:

1. Psykers (Librarians, Fateweaver, Dante, Hive Tyrants, Chaos Sorcerers, Eldrad/Farseers)
2. Models with Psychic Hoods or other Ld based anti-psyker equipment/rules (Inquisitors, Librarians)
3. Non-Fearless leader models (Autarchs/Yriel, Chrisis Suit Commanders, Company Commanders)
4. Squad Leaders (Space Marine Sergeants, CSM Aspiring Champions, Eldar Exarchs/Warlocks)

Always keep in mind that the Deathleaper is fragile. He is only T4, 3W, and has a 5+ save. If the enemy focuses on him, he will die. Sometimes, if he comes in early in the game, it may be best to just stick him in terrain far away from the enemy. If the enemy starts to get close, or as you reach turn 4, you can always have him go to ground for a 2+ save in most terrain if he is being shot, and then you can have him utilize his "Where'd it go?" power to go back into reserve (even if he has gone to ground). If you have him go back into reserve on turn 4, you can have him reappear on an objective to contest it. Try to pick an objective in cover if possible.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:59:51 PM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »
Venomthropes:

Venomthropes provide support to your army to give you cover during the advance, and generate some wonderful defensive powers.

Pros:
-Spore Cloud! Cover save bubble + Defensive Grenades + Dangerous Terrain = Win!
-Have Lash Whips
-2+ Poison

Cons:
-Very fragile, with T4 and a 5+ Armor/Cover
-Can be Expensive
-Takes up a valuable Elites slot

The Venomthrope is an interesting unit. When used properly, they will provide an excellent boost to your army's survivability. Most of you should be familiar with the Tyranid Cover Phalanx tactic (For those who aren't, it basically means you put your smallest guys in front, followed by the medium guys, followed by the big guys. This provides cover to your medium and big bugs during the advance), and know that it has a slight weakness in that the front line will usually not be getting a cover save. A decent round of shooting can shred your front line, exposing your medium guys. Adding 2-3 Venomthropes to your medium bug line can be a huge help by giving the front line a cover save. Additionally, your MCs in the back may not be getting their cover saves if there aren't enough medium guys, and the Venomthropes can help with that. 3 Venomthropes are big enough that they can perfectly shield a Tervigon from the front, and will still give her a 5+ cover from any other angle.

I like several small units of TS+AG Hormagaunts in my army to be my front line, but such a fragile and expensive unit isn't exactly the greatest meatshield, so having the Venomthropes in the mix really helps to solidify the line and keep them relatively intact.

Venomthropes are best used as the core of a Cover Phalanx consisting of units moving at normal speeds. Fast Attack Wings move too quickly for the Venomthropes to keep up with and will end up badly, so don't bother taking them if your army is fast moving.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:33 AM »
Zoanthropes

Zoanthropes are mighty psykers capable of blasting the heaviest armor to bits. They are the Tyranid's primary ranged heavy anti-tank unit.

Pros:
-Warp Lance, one of the best anti-tank weapons in all of 40K.
-Synapse/Shadow in the Warp
-Can take a Mycetic Spore for precision targeting.
-3+ invuln

Cons:
-T4 means they can easily be IDed (3+ invuln helps)
-Can be easily shut down by Anti-psyker items (Hoods, RoWar)
-Take up a valuable Elites slot

Zoanthropes are a very important unit for the Tyranids. They can shred tanks like tissue paper with their Warp Lances, or they can go anti-MEQ with their Warp Blast. Furthermore, they are providers of Synapse, so they can help keep the little guys in line downfield. Zoanthropes are typically run in broods of 2-3, and are usually either deployed in a Mycetic Spore or are backed up by a Tervigon with Onslaught. As they are somewhat fragile against S8+ weapons, it is not advised to try walking them up the field without help. They are a high priority target and will likely attract a lot of fire. This can be helpful in a way, but if they aren't killing anything, you are wasting a lot of points and an Elites slot.

I prefer to drop 2-3 in a Mycetic Spore. This keeps them safe for a turn or two, and when they do come in, you can stick them next to the highest priority vehicle and eliminate it. After that, they can continue to kill vehicles until they die. You should be sending them after things with high AV or things with weapons that ignore cover saves generated by our Tyranid Cover Phalanx (Barrage). Standard transports are best left to Hive Gaurd, unless there are no more big things to kill.

Something to keep in mind is that you don't have to fire all Warp Lances or all Warp Blasts. Say your Thropes are behind a Dreadnaught and a unit of Marines is next to the Dread. You could fire one Warp Lance (with a little luck, one shot is all you need) and two Warp Blasts at it. The hope would be that the Blasts scatter onto the Marines, but remember that from back armor, S5 is enough to glance or pen AV10, so even if they don't scatter, you still have a chance to do something to the Dread.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »
The Doom of Malan'tai

The Doom is one of the more powerful special characters (despite taking a hit from the nerf-hammer). Spirit Leech is one of the most feared special rules in 40K.

Pros:
-Spirit Leech has the potential to devastate enemy lines.
-Absorb Life means every wound inflicted is a wound gained.
-Cataclysm... large blast with AP1? Death!
-Very cheap point cost.

Cons:
-T4 means that even 10 wounds won't save you from ID.
-Takes up an Elites slot.
-High Priority target means he will die quickly.

The Doom of Malan'tai was once considered to be the most rediculously over-powered and undercosted special character in the new codex, but now he is much more in line with his points cost since GW hit him hard. However, he is still a powerful and useful character.

The Doom should never start on the table and should never have to walk. Always take him in a Mycetic Spore. This will allow you to drop him into the best possible position (near as many different squads as possible). Every turn that he isn't within 6" of an enemy unit is a wasted turn. You can be sure that if he is walking, he will be one of the first models to die. It is best to consider him a suicide unit. A good placement for him should net a minimum of 2 Spirit Leeches and a possible Cataclysm. As long as he does some damage with that, you shouldn't cry if he dies. Just say, "Oh well," and move on. However, if he does manage to live, consider it a bonus. Once all the S8+ weaponry is gone, it tends to be incredibly hard to kill him off, so the more S8+ stuff you can kill or tie up before/when he arrives, the better.

If the Doom manages to live long enough to launch an assault, he makes an excellent tarpit unit (as long as there aren't any S8+ weapons, of course). Between his attacks, Spirit Leech, and his 3++, he is likely going to live for a long time.

On the subject of using Cataclysm on nearby targets, you don't really have to worry about him firing into the wind and having it scatter back onto him as long as he has between 3 and 7 wounds. This is because if he happens to lose a wound from it, he will gain it back due to Absorb Life. What you have to watch out for is if he has 8+ wounds (that would cause ID) or less than 3 (you will take at least 2 wounds before you gain the wound back).

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #13 on: September 8, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
Reserved for Pyrovores

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #14 on: September 8, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
Ymgarl Genestealers

(Courtesy of Hive Fleet Bahamut, edited by GaleRazorwind)

Now everyone fights for elite slots, and to me these guys get a foot in every time.  They destroyed our Lictors ability to attack out of deepstrike, so now we have a mob of gene's on steroids to do it instead.  Yes they are costly, but alternating stats is a huge boost, and to be able to pop up untouched in cover is delicious.

Pros:
-Better save than normal Genestealers
-Mutable rule allows them to alter their stats in battle
-Dormant: move, fleet, charge on the turn they arrive

Cons:
-More expensive than a normal Stealer (upgrades reduce this gap)
-No Broodlord
-No natural ability to reroll to hit or to wound rolls

Tactics: Again, like the Swarmlord these guys have no options at all, but they do.  If there was ever an area denial unit in our codex this is it.  Not only are the edges cut off by regular GS, but any area terrain as well now.  The key is to remember not to put them in the most obvious building, because you can lose the entire squad without deploying if the opponent has any common sense.

The other thing to remember is that you do NOT want to wipe out the opponent on their turn, so I always start the first assault with +1T.  Infantry cry when trying to hurt a T5 4+ GS.  If their return attacks are not an issue (guardians, guard, fire warriors,) then you can pick one of the others off assault.  The second turn switch to +1A (weak infantry) or +1S. 

The other beautiful thing about the +1S is you can wipe out almost any vehicle with this squad if necessary. (Glance up to AV14, yes you land raiders..)  Although walkers are still to be avoided, any tank will puff into smoke, and even if your squad is left open, the cost of a tank is generally much more than this squad.

The last thing is don't max out the numbers.  These guys can be tricky to place sometimes, and I find I never go above 8.  Any more and you're almost guaranteeing that a couple can't be placed, any less and the squad can't take out elite units, which is what I think they shine at doing, or at least holding up.  (One game 6 held up a squad of 3 Broadsides +2 Drones for 4 turns.  They died, but that was 4 turns the BS's weren't shooting.)

Yes people will tell you that they are too expensive, but usually GS have some upgrade, a Broodlord and more numbers.  The numbers are cancelled out by the fact reg GS usually get some losses if infiltrating/outflanking and their lack or armour from shooting.  A Broodlord would be nice, but that would almost make them my top pick in our codex..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:38:49 PM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #15 on: September 8, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »
Reserved for Tyranid Warriors

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #16 on: September 8, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
Genestealers

(Courtesy of Gornon, edited by GaleRazorwind)

This is one of our medium-level shock troops.  The evil masterminds of the Tyranids, they often appear in Black Library publications as the sinister presence behind a shadowy cult.  ‘Stealers, as they are known in affectionate shorthand, are very deadly in close combat, and due to a plethora of special rules, are very tactically flexible. 

Pros:
-Troops: Scoring and doesn’t take any valuable slots.
-High Ld and doesn’t need Synapse.
-Deadly in close combat from Rending, Wytch I, and Chapter Master WS.
-Fleet and Move Though Cover.
-Infiltrate gives them a flexible deployment and allows first turn assaults.

Cons:
-Pricey for a unit with Imperial Guard-level saves.
-No Assault Grenades.
-Relatively low number of attacks can leave them vulnerable to hoard units.

Weapons:

Rending Claws: Come as standard.  Enjoy!

Scything Talons: These are the cheapest of the brood’s upgrades and also the least effective due to the high WS of the ‘Stealers. In general, they allow the unit to re-roll half of their misses in close combat. Good choice for a player looking to save some points, but who still wants to make their unit a bit more fancy than normal.

Biomorphs

Adrenal Glands: These cost one more point than Talons and that gives you extra strength and initiative on the charge.  The initiative is very wasted.  ‘Stealers go before most everything and so only against the odd Eldar unit do you have to worry about going simultaneous, let alone second.  The extra strength helps for doing damage and is of use against Dreadnaughts.

Toxin Sacs: As expensive as the Glands, this upgrade really gives the ‘Stealer extra punch against Infantry.  T4 and below get’s re-rolled To Wound rolls, and that means more chances at Rending!  In addition, the ability to wound T 5+ on a 4 or better is a nice side effect.

Two or more Biomorphs: These are not recommended.  ‘Stealers are fragile for their point’s cost and a fully blinged out ‘Stealer can cost in excess of 20+ points!  Keep in mind that this is a unit that is about as durable as your average Ork Boy.  Even one Biomorph is pushing it.  Double check that you don’t need the points elsewhere before you spend them on upgrades for this unit.

Mycetic Spore.  It is of limited use to load these guys in here.  If you are doing an all drop army, these might have some use as your heavy hitters if you have cheap screening infantry for them.  Otherwise, just use their free infiltrate to get a second or first turn charge with fewer points and less Kill Points.

Roles
Shock Infantry:  These guys can Infiltrate, which allows them to get fairly close to the enemy.  They can certainly get close enough to get a second turn charge if you want them in the first wave.  Here, they take the role of breaching the enemy lines for others to follow.  Thanks to Fleet, if they can get into the minimal Infiltrate range, they can get a first turn charge.  A normal Brood can take out or at least cripple about 3 tanks that have AV 10 in the back with a first turn charge.  Good for stopping a tank rush, though the unit gets sacrificed if this happens.

Infiltrate/Scout Rush Blockers: Worried about an infiltrating unit or Valkyrie rush?  Put these out in front of your lines to prevent such things from happening.  Note that this can be an expensive tactic as the unit is out by itself.  However, the rest of the Swarm can get revenge easily.  Judge the cost of losing the ‘Stealers to the cost of losing whatever you think would be the invading unit’s target.

Stalker: Infiltrate also opens up the ability to Outflank.  While the Swarmlord makes this a very attractive option, even without it they will still arrive on the wanted board side most of the time.  Use them in the Outflank role as a threat.  Keep your army to one side of the board and tempt your opponent to get too close to the board edge so the ‘Stealers can pounce.  Outflanking is also a good way to get at dug-in gun lines, allowing the brood to engage without being shot or to slip around the back to munch on gun batteries, artillery, and other rear-line troops.

Objective Holder: Brood Telepathy means they can hang out away from Synapse, freeing your leader bugs to move forward.  Their overall formidable stats mean that many opponents will be at least somewhat weary about getting too close.  If the objective you want is at a board edge, you can use Outflank to hop onto it later in the game. 

Note: It’s recommended that these guys always infiltrate.  That way, you are putting them down last, and it makes your opponent sweat to see where they can go.  If nothing else, they can be put right in whatever part of the swarm you wanted them to go along.  It’s also the fluffy option.

Overall tactics: Pretty much point them at just about anything and let them rip.  Outside of the best melee fighters (like Nob Bikers or TH/SS Termies) and massive hoards, they usually can do the job.

Unit size ranges from half an Infantry Squad to two to Squads combined.  The smaller the squad is the easier it is to infiltrate and the less of a threat it poses, thus tempting opponents to look elsewhere for targets.  The large the squad is the more durable it is.  Around 8-10 seems to be the best balance between durability and stealth.

Brood Lord:

More of a unit than an upgrade, he gets his own entry.  These guys are the leaders of a Brood and take the role of a Sergeant.  However, they are one dozy of a Sergeant!

Pros:
-Very deadly.  It has all of the ‘Stealer’s basic abilities combined with twice as many attacks and an extra point of Initiative, Toughness, and Weapon Skill combined with 2 more wounds and a save to speak about!
-Not an Independent Character so he can’t be picked out!
-Allows the wound allocation game to be played due to different statline.
-Is a Psyker with two powers.

Cons
-Makes an already pricy for its durability unit a higher priority target.
-For its points you could have bought four normal Genestealers which give you more wounds and double the attacks.

Weapons:

Rending: Come as standard, enjoy!

Scything Talons: See above

Biomorphs:

Adrenal Glands: See above, but now he can Instant Death T3 Models on the charge.

Toxin Sacs: As above, but now applies to T5 at the cost of efficiency vs. T3.

Implant Attack: A fairly pricy attack, this upgrade ties into the Lord’s Rending ability.  Every time he Power Attacks he also inflicts Instant Death.  If you want to use your ‘Stealers as a character or monster hunting unit this upgrade has merit, otherwise, it’s unnecessary baggage.

Acid Blood: More or less, if someone happens to hurt the Broodlord, he has a chance to get instant revenge for the attack.  Only hitting the unit as opposed to the model that inflicted the blow limits the damage it does.  If you have the extra points, it might be worth it, but look elsewhere first.

Psychic Powers:

Aura of Despair: This provides a slight penalty to enemy leadership within rapid fire range.  This is really a situational power.  It’s cast in the Assault Phase and therefore can’t be used to help break units with shooting.  It’s really only useful if the ‘Stealer unit can’t make melee combat, but wants to help another unit break the enemy or make it tougher for the enemy to cast a Psychic Power.  It does stack with other Auras and Shadow in the Warp, though.

Hypnotic Gaze: A much more generally useful power than the Aura.  The Broodlord picks an enemy model (keyword is model) and then has a better than 50% chance to shut it down before it gets to swing.  Overall, a good power to use to halt any very nasty melee fighters like Archons, Vulkan, or even the odd Sarge with a Power Fist!

Tactics: See above with the addendum that he is a good idea to take with a brood where you want the punch of a larger brood, but want the stealth of a smaller brood.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 10:48:14 PM by Gornon »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #17 on: September 8, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »
Mycetic Spores

(Courtesy of GaleRazorwind)

The Mycetic Spore is the Tyranid version of a Drop Pod. Finally, Tyranids have a safe and reliable way to Deep Strike into battle.

Pros:
-Allows many units to enter play via Deep Strike
-Has scatter correction, so only going off the table causes a mishap
-S6 Monstrous Creature with option for a second gun

Cons:
-Any unit that takes a Spore MUST enter play with it (FAQ ruling)
-Tyranid Prime can't join a unit and enter play in their Spore (FAQ ruling)
-Only has T4 and 4+ save, so it's easy to squish and give a KP

There isn't a whole lot of strategy involved with the Mycetic Spore. What you do with one is almost completely dictated by what the Spore is carying. Here is a list of units that benefit from taking a Spore (in an approximate order of need):

1. The Doom of Malan'tai: As far as tactics go, the Doom is the only unit in our codex that absolutely must have a Spore to be effective. If the Doom is walking on the board, he is going to be killed long before he ever does anything. Using him in a Spore allows him to be dropped as close to as many different enemy units as possible, and thus gives him the greatest potential to cause damage.

2. Zoanthropes: While Zoanthropes can be effective walking, giving them a Spore to ride in allows you to drop them right next to whatever vehicle needs to die right away, and helps keep them alive until then.

3. Carnifex: Carnifexes are slow walkers, and lack Fleet, so being able to drop a CC Fex right next to whatever it needs to kill is certainly helpful. No, it won't be able to attack right away, but it might just scare the crap out of your opponent. Never forget the sheer psychological potential of a unit.

4. Termagants: While this technique isn't used as much since the FAQ declared you can't have a Tyranid Prime join a unit it its Spore, a unit of 20 Termagants with Devourers in a Spore can drop down and obliterate light infantry with ease. Keep in mind that after their first turn, they have a good chance of being out of Synapse range and may decide to freak out.

5. Pyrovores: I don't know of anyone who ever uses these guys, but the assumed tactic would be to drop a group of Pyrovores next to a blob of infantry and roast them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:13:30 AM by GaleRazorwind »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #18 on: September 8, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
Reserved for Termagants

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #19 on: September 8, 2010, 08:05:04 AM »
Hormagaunts

(Courtesy of Gornon, edited by GaleRazorwind)

One of our signature ‘small bugs’, when people think ‘Tyranid swarm’, these guys come to mind.  They are small, cheap, and almost as fast as Jump Infantry.  Using sheer weight of attacks, they can bring down a surprising number of opponents.

Pros:
-Cheap points wise.
-Troops choice means scoring and doesn’t take up any valuable slots.
-High Init means going before most other units.
-Fast movers: Move Through Cover, Bounding Leap, and Fleet.

Cons:
-Fragile: T3 and 6+ save results in a lot of dead Gaunts.
-Low S and WS makes killing harder and getting killed easier.
-Needs Synapse and has low Ld, which could subject them to Rage, running away, or getting swept.
-No assault grenades means their precious high I is lost on a charge through Difficult Terrain.

Biomorph Options:

Adrenal Glands: Furious Charge has a few important uses. When you need to strike first, the extra point of I on the charge is useful, and when you want to have an easier time wounding (or when you want to try to ping vehicles to death), the extra point of S helps. Adrenal Glands are most useful when combined with Toxin Sacs for re-rolls to wound against T4 enemies. Because its uses are rather limited, you should always go for Toxin Sacs before getting Adrenal Glands.

Toxin Sacs: Poison 4+ is amazing on these guys, which is why it is the favorite biomorph choice for most Tyranid players. Suddenly, Hormagaunts go from barely being able to scratch T4 models to being able to wound even C’tan and Wraithlords. As a bonus, against T3 targets, you get to re-roll failed to wound rolls, which will greatly increase the damage you inflict. If you know you are going to be facing MEQs or other T4 units, it helps to spring for Adrenal Glands so you can re-roll your to wound rolls against them when you get the charge. Unless you are taking your Hormagaunts as total throwaway units, you should always take them with at least Toxin Sacs.

Overall tactics: Pretty much point and click with these guys. Without upgrades, they can engage T3 and T4 units with a reasonable degree of success.  Toxin Sacs can engage any non-vehicle model with a save of 3+ or worse.  Even 2+ saves can be overwhelmed in small groups.  Glands can engage T3-T5 with a reasonable degree of success, and attack most tanks to at least stop them from shooting.

Roles:

1st Wave: Gaunts are cheap enough and fast enough to act as the swarm's first wave.  In this role, they absorb incoming fire, provide cover saves to everyone behind them, and pin down enemy units for the rest of the swarm to engage.  Keep these bugs cheap and cheerful, as they are expandable.

2nd Wave: These guys follow up on the first wave.  In this role they exploit the holes/pinned down units made by the first wave.  These should be upgraded with your choice of Biomorphs.

Objective Holder:  Seems an odd role, as Hormagaunts are all to likely to get it into their beady little minds to go dashing off after a half-wrecked Rhino like a dog chasing a car.  After a Brood has been in close combat for a bit, odds are they are whittled down to just a few bugs.  These are ineffective at combat, so have them perch in cover and hold that objective instead of wasting them.

Spoor:  Use these guys as a 1st Wave.  Have their Spoor land as close to the enemy as possible, between the enemy and your more valuable units.  Using the full deployment zone, Run, and the width of their Spoor, they can easily make a 12 inch wall to give cover to your more valuable units and keep the enemy from charging them.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 08:43:12 PM by GaleRazorwind »