News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Tyranid Evolutionary Chain  (Read 10744 times)

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
The Tyranid Evolutionary Chain
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:04 PM »
As the Codex was recently re-released, and the old CoC thread had completely stagnated, I am attempting to jumpstart this thing back into life. Hopefully folks will get involved in actually doing stuff this time.

The Evolutionary Chain is this board's means of organising the Tyranid community, in an attempt to provide useful resources for new members of the forum, or old players seeking to join the Swarm. The point of a Chain of Command is, in fact, not to provide prestige points for you to use to bulk up your e-penis. Rather it is to create a system by which those members with knowledge or experience can provide both those resources to newer players. It also provides a more structured system for organising the creation of articles for newbies, and a bit of fun for everyone involved as well.

This is the primary thread for the Tyranid Evolutionary Chain. Be sure to check the thread recently for new developments. The Evolutionary Chain works thusly:

Members have different ranks, reflecting the amount of effort they have put into the Tyranid community as a whole. These ranks are obviously subject to change, as posters climb up the evolutionary hierarchy, or are demoted for failing to carry out the will of Hive Mind/following the rules of the CoC or forum. There are no strict guidelines for what acts will get you promoted or demoted. It's based on the discretion of the higher ranking members.

To gain membership of the CoC, simply make a post in this thread expressing your interest. In order to be eligible to join the Evolutionary Chain, you must have a post count of at least 100, in order to ensure that the CoC does not get cluttered by fair-weather posters. In a change from how things used to work, nobody but myself, Lonewolf and Chosen Man will have any rank higher than Ripper to start with. This is an attempt to provide some incentive for members of the Evolutionary Chain to actually do things like write articles, provide background or generally do things for the community.

Structure
These are the basic ranks. Others may be added if there is sufficient demand for them.

Rank            Title
1                  Ripper
2                  Termagant/ Hormagaunt
3                  Genestealer
4                  Warrior/ Shrike
5                  Broodlord/ Trygon
6                  Prime/ Trygon Prime
7                  Hive Tyrant
Moderator    Swarmlord

Member List

Swarmlord
Chosen Man
iChuckles
Lonewolf

Ripper
Lord Alliben
GaleRazorwind
Die FünfteWindlegion der Schlucht-Herr
Raktra

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I be a member of multiple Chains of Command at the same time?
Certainly, as long as you continue to contribute to this one as well as the others you will not lose your post in the CoC.

What exactly can I do to get a promotion?
There is no set answer to this, as it depends a great deal on the poster. A rather generic answer would be "contribute to the Tyranid community as a whole". In practical terms, this might mean providing tacticas on how to use Tyranids, how best to equip certain units or on how to beat a certain army type, articles on how to paint Tyranids in a certain way, pieces of particularly excellent fiction regarding the Tyranids (I've seen some absolute corkers in my time), or other types of help which I have not anticipated. If you, as a member of the CoC, have seen something which you feel is a piece of work worthy of recognition, post in this thread with a link, a description of what it is, and why you feel it merits reward, and we at the head of the Swarm will decide if it is worth recognising.

More answers will be added when more questions are asked!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:40:00 PM by Chuckles, The Angry Warhammer Clown »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Re: The Tyranid Evolutionary Chain
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Does posting Tyranid batreps help advance your rank?

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
Well, guess I get to be the first to request a place in the CoC.

I would like to offer the suggestion of having one of the higher ranks be a choice between one of the non-Swarmlord special characters: Old One Eye, The Doom of Malan'Tai, Deathleaper, and the Parasite of Mortrax. Perhaps it would be determined by the main contributions of the poster (like in the previous CoC)? OOE for batreps (he's lived long enough to see them), Doom for general knowledge/articles (relative of the big brained Zoanthropes), Deathleaper for tactica (the ideal hunter), and Parasite for helping beginners (It spawns Rippers and Ripper is the bottom of the chain.)
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
Lord Alliben: Yes and no. Posting battle reports, in and of itself, will probably not cause one's rank to increase. However, consistently posting battle reports which are well written, informative, interesting and popular will almost certainly see a poster getting promoted. But it is entirely possible to post "my battle report. I had some nids, he had some marines. I won" in which case, not a chance.

GaleRazorwind: I thought you might somehow, what with your continual waving of your tie for Tyranid poster of the year  ;)

As for your suggestion, it's certainly an interesting one. I'll kick it around a bit and see what others think of it. I'll also get on having you titled as soon as possible

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
I try to post pretty decent battle reports for my bugs but that's usually the extent of my contributions here. Maybe that will change now that there's a new book out. either way, please count me in. Thanks.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »
I would like a new spot in the CoC as well. With the new release, I haven't had time to do many battles myself, and thus offer any advice. That is starting to change, and I feel I can begin helping out again.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »
Well I already know I have serious romantic defects that generally prevent me from being a good normal Tyranid sentience, this generally leads to different ideas, and makes me write things. Short-storyish things. When you combine this with my mutated english, you receive a taste which would be like... lets see.. pyrovore? Yes this can be compared to being a pyrovore.

Whatever, I would be interested in this.
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
I'm interested. Not much into posting lists any more, but I could probably help review lists. Army pictures/conversions and such I can throw up too.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:31:04 PM »
Oh, I had a question for you, Chuckles. Can we get any retro-active credit for postings we have already made prior to the start of this new CoC program? Obviously this would only apply to posts made after the release of the codex.

I have a post or two that were made recently that I believe are worthy of some credit.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:33:47 PM by GaleRazorwind »
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Crafty

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »
I am interested in this as well.
The new 'nid book really got me interested in 40k again. So it's time for me to become a more active member of this board and help others, either by building/reviewing army lists or offering advice in general.

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:41:52 AM »
GaleRazorwind: Yes posts made before this thread was made count, but I'm not keen on people self-promoting. If others believe your posts were worthy of recognition, let them say so rather than trying to show how amazing you are. It's unseemly, irritating, and probably counter-productive

Crafty: I'm sorry, but I made a small change to the CoC rules that prevents you from joining right now, specifically a requirement of at least 100 posts (not counting ones in the Tavern etc). However, if you spend some time in the Tyranids board then I'm sure once you hit 100 posts you'll rocket upwards

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Necrontyr Immortal | Ripper
  • Needs more Desu
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »
Sign me up.  Not sure how quality my contribution will be.  But I always enjoy reviewing others lists, and imposing my odd sense of army building.

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 03:56:59 AM »
new ripper spawned and ready to devour sirs!

this creature shall hopefully evolve into a tacticly minded organism...
what was i saying again?... my train of thought has become derailed and has killed 20 innocent bystanders...

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
Okay, well things have been moving slowly but surely, and so I would like to suggest that FifthwindDieGermana tor and GaleRazorwind both be advanced to the lofty lows of termagant/hormagaunt/gaunt-hood (depending on which they prefer), for their efforts in these two threads respectively.

Comments? Objections? All members of the CoC comment now (those who are not a member and comment on this issue will have their posts removed, but nothing else will happen to them)

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
Yup, I agree with this. Fifthwind's done a great job on the list of lists.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
I'll vouch for Fifthwind.

P.S. Hormagaunt, please 8)

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
I vouch for GaleRazorwind (though he beat me in reviving that thread ;) ) I would like to request the name of Termagaunt, for the 50 little buggers sitting in my army case.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
So then we have one of each. Lovely. I personally have no objections, so I'll wait until tomorrow to see if there are any other views, and if nothing massive kicks off, have the titles posted to you. Expect them in 3-4 working days, remember to keep your receipt

Offline Impyrocker

• Ripper
« Reply #18 on: March 1, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
New ripper ready, Swarmlord!

Offline Marikar

• Ripper
« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
I would like to apply for ripper status please.