News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Monstrous Creature list  (Read 3276 times)

Offline JoeEdmark21

Monstrous Creature list
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »
     Im thinking of building a Tyranid list based on MC's as I love the models and prefer working with larger models.  Im not great at writing list so if any of you could post MC lists that you have had success with would be appreciated.  Or more generally how to build such a list and how they function.
"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Re: Monstrous Creature list
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
I guarantee your not going to get a reply! (okay, maybe one) :P

1st, your asking others to do the work for you
2nd, you didn't tell us what points level you want to play
3rd, didn't tell us how much money you care to invest in said list
4th, what style of play you like (MC is not enough)

Granted I have not received a lot of participation and contributions to the "Tyranid Big list of armylists thread," there are however, a few in there, some of which have a significant amount of MC in them.

Lots of MCs' = lots of $$$ spent!

Sorry to sound so unsupportive and negative, just reality I suppose.  Too vague a question really.

Man, this wine is making me hot!

You could start here for inspiration.  MC list courtesy of Ner'Zhul
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:19:23 PM by Master Bio-Titan BT »

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
I am currently in the process of building the following list at just under 2000 points.

HQ  -  Flying Hive Tyrant with two sets of Scything Talons

Elites  -  3 Squads of 3 Zoanthropes

Troops  -  2 squads of 10 termagaunts and 2 Tervigons

Heavy Support  -  2 Carnifexes each with two sets of twin linked Brain Leach Devourers

Fast Attack  -  2 Harpies and a squad of 14 Gargoyles with Adrenal Glands (Poison)

I am still in the building phase so have not played this list.

What I am hoping for is as follows,

1) Early Pressure via the Gargoyles and the Hive Tyrant backed up with Strangler Pie Plates from the Harpies

2) Means of getting rid of the machines via the Zoanthropes

3) Cover for the Carnifexes via the Zoanthropes

4) Largely going to ignore fliers, but I have Zoanthropes and Twin Linked Brain Leech Wormed Carnifexes if I absolutely have to deal with these. I am hoping to get "Ground Cover" Superiority and for my opponent to find that fliers can't hold objectives.

5) I am guaranteed 4 squads of Termagaunts this way with the likelihood of 5 or possibly 6. I also have scoring Tervigons which are no joke. Given the the game is now largely objective based, this is a lot of troops to be dealing with.

6) Although they are not monstrous creatures, I have 9 Zoanthropes which are also pretty resiliant. I can see a place to swap one of these groups out with Hive Guards, which are like mini monstrous creatures. I do have 7 entries that are genuinely described as monstrous creatures.

Only issue with this list, is there isn't currently an official model for the Harpy. I have heard lots of rumours of one coming out, but until it shows, I've got a LOT of Termagaunts to paint.

Looking at other Montrous creatures, what I am obviously missing is Trygons. My biggest issue with these guys, is that when they come in you know they are going to get shot to pieces and it is almost impossible to get cover saves for them. Of course, the rest of the army is then safe for a turn, but I have the Carnifex models already and they will be good close combat support for the Zoanthropes if needed and the Brain Leach Devourers are an excellent stand alone weapon. I may also be using Termagaunt Screens to avoid close combat, because depite this being Tyranids, this is not a strong Close Combat Army.

Don't know if you can use any of these ideas, would like some feed back on this too

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
My Tervigon List at 1000 points:

HQ

Tervigon - 250 Points
-Crushing Claws
-Catalyst
-Adrenal Glands
-Toxin Sacs
-Regeneration

Troops

Tervigon - 200 Points
-Scything Talons
-Catalyst
-Adrenal Glands
-Toxin Sacs

10 Termagants - 50 Points

Tervigon - 200 Points
-Scything Talons
-Catalyst
-Adrenal Glands
-Toxin Sacs

Tervigon - 200 Points
-Scything Talons
-Catalyst
-Adrenal Glands
-Toxin Sacs

I've got a big box of Carnifex Screamer-Killers to add in beyond this, but I must admit to being scarily tempted by doubling up at 2000 points by simply adding a second identical detachment....

This isn't a subtle list. Pile forwards at speed and bury the enemy in gaunts and monsters. Yes, Tervigons aren't exactly overwhelming in close quarters but they are incredibly resiliant to anything shy of exotic force/wraith/hex weapons, and with poison and furious charge, you'll be shocked how truly scary termagants can be on the charge in the numbers you'll have to throw at someone. I've seen many people say that overwatch and move-and-rapid-fire renders assault hordes 'useless'. Worse, maybe, but not useless, and it's great fun watching someone realise they haven't a hope in hell of stopping the wave that's about to hit them, especially since No Retreat! is gone (a primary use of your 'free' termagants is to bog down enemy elites in a tarpit of disposable grunts).

Ultimately it depends what sort of army you want; shooty, stompy, or a mix of both - you could take shooty tyrants and tyrannofex and make a sort of bugpanzerkorps list, which could also work quite well.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685