News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your view on life  (Read 981 times)

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
Your view on life
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
Had to make a report about:

You

Someone else

Time

Nature

Society

God/Religion

I'm not going to take this over and give it to my teacher 'cause I already gave it but I thought it was pretty cool for 40kO :)
What would you say/what do you think about these subjects?

Offline Salami

• I'm a just unworthy of a custom title.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Remember Greenstuff.
Re: Your view on life
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
Me is me. I am what I am, and I know what I know. A bit cliche, but it's basically true. I consider Identity as the sum total of my person, mind and body.

Someone else, like whom?

Time - Not linear, inextricably bound with space. I consider it from the scientific point of view, as a measurable quantity, affected by space-flow.

Nature, the sum total of all life. Humans should not distance themselves from it. If we disturb other parts of nature too much, it'll disturb us back.

Society, a group of likeminded humans, who interact with eachother in various ways. Society is 'us', if the individual is an 'I'.

God/Religion, delusions and fables to explain previously unexplainable occurences, as well as a means to control moral behaviour. As a society evolves, the need for religion dissappears, with Science explaining the previously unexplainable,and laws with appropriate enforcement to control the moral behaviour of said society.
May 2027: 40K 8th edition is released. The rules are now so simple that they embody the perfect emptiness of zen, accidentally causing thousands of players to become one with the universe.

June 2027: Someone complains on a message board that the 8th edition 40K rules, while the path to true enlightenment, do not feature realistic armour saves.

(Rictiovarus is the Tavern antichrist).

Offline Pvt. Dancer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:06:07 PM »
short and saying!

With "Someone else" I mean, someone you care about, someone who is close to you, or maybe even someone who's actions you might predict at times, yep sounds weird but so am I

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:10:18 PM »
Me: Bundle of atoms, advanced circulatory system, higher brain functions that are not fully understood etc. I could go into personal details, but I consider them unimportant.

Someone else: See Above.

Time: I am undecided on the nature of time.

Nature: No solid definition, I see pretty much everything as part of nature. A field is no more "natural" than a city-block. Just as a skyscraper is no less natural than a birds nest.

Society: Group of people living together and -- under certain conditions --  supporting each other. Exists and changes either by coercion, or free will.

God/Religion: Fabrications created to control the way people live. Bring out the best and worst in people.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »
You: I think, therefore I probably am.

Someone else: I like to think they are other 'me's, but with added 'theyness' to make them interesting. ;)

Time: Lawks, who knows. Space/time physics hurts my head, I don't have the lobes for it. 

Nature: Anything that happens is natural. There are no events outside nature. Nature is really just a word for 'that which occurs'. People often don't include humanity in nature, and I think that's a mistake.

Society: A mess. Tribalism and family loyalty tweaked heavily with an especially pretentious brand of hedonism, and garnished with a fashionably judgemental knee-jerk mindset. That's British mainstream, mind you. The sub-cultures and nonconfromists are generally more vibrant and interesting.

God/Religion: If it revolves around absolute beliefs, then my cynicism hits levels that would set of geiger counters. Anything more flexible, and I find it both fascinating and charming.

Offline TDB

• Lap Dancing Teasers
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:01:07 PM »
You:  Bunch of infinitely divisible particles generally called cells which have gathered together and formed multiple 'levels' of function through evolution.  Mind is nothng more than a bunch of electrical impulses influenced by the movenment of atoms and constituent parts and other processes that are poorly understood if understood at all.

Someone else:  Same as above but due to quantum theory different.  No real 'reason' for it, just an infinite collection of minutiae.

Time:  Part of space in a way.  A physical object just like mass or energy rather than the silly normal view of being the thing that contains space.  Able to be manipulated and used, just not for what is commonly seen as time travel.

Nature:  A collection of processes that makes up the system of the universe/s.  More a view on how things work than an actual 'object'.

Society: group of someone elses that often act like a system based on the interactions between the different needs and wants of each 'individual' in the group.

God/Religion:  A creation made as an early explanation of the world used as a method to attain higher 'knowledge'.  Also used as an early system of law.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke
Is fhearr an t-olc a chluinntinn na fhaicinn (better to hear the evil than see it)

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
Me: what i think, what makes me think those thoughts, what i do, how i do them, who i am.

Someone else: someone who is not me.

Time: a creation (much like God and Religion) of man in order to help us function to the best of our abilities.

Nature: The random occurence of molecules and atoms which made our bodies work, which made chemical reactions happen etc.

Society: Lots of people who are not me.

God/Religion: The product of a fearful mind which cannot explain why certain things happen, so therefore blames them on a "God" if they are good, or a "Demon" if they are bad. The one thing to appear in all societies is a Good and a Bad, or Ying:Yang, Kindness:Evil, Happiness:Saddness etc.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Y'zar

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:50:59 PM »
You: Tom Rubino.

Someone else-.. Any sentient organism who's not me: Tom Rubino.

Time- Life's short.. who cares?

Nature- The Cosmos. Everything that ever was, or ever will be.

Society- Oddly enough, this is  the trickiest one to define. In short, the grand total of  all human interaction.

God- The fact that I cannot look up at ths sky at night and not feel like a speck of dust in an infinate void.

Religion- Allows for those with power to justify themselves.

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
You:                 A perspective. Centre of the universe. What happens to this person makes all the difference.
Someone else:   Another perspective. Unclear motives, oft irrational behaviour.
Time:                Eternity in an instant. A fluid concept that changes with particular situations.
Society:            The fulfilment of a large group of someone elses need  to feel loved
God/Religion:      A way of life. A comforter in an uncaring world. An article of faith.
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline Joker2and53

• buried in a library...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »
You: I was born February 14 1984.  I am twenty two.  My purpose in life is to leave some small part of the world better then when I found it.  At least, that is the goal.  It may just be to raise a family               
Someone else:   My Fiance Ellie.  Someone to help raise the aforementioned family.
Time: A necessary evil of modern society.  If you are young enough and free enough, I highly suggest spending a month or even a week without a single clock or watch.  Just turn them all off for a week, see what happens
Nature:  I work in the University of Florida Department of Forestry.  Nature can blow me
Society:  I don't plan to live by myself in the woods.....
God/Religion:  a personal thing.  I plan to ignore it, then I will use religion to give my kids a set of values and morals.  Now I just have to find a religion that is worth paying attention to
I heart Bad Religion

Worst model ever = Dordin from Gaunt's Ghosts.  Whatever GW employee(s) gave the go ahead for Dordin to carry a las pistol, in his right hand no less, must be fired immidiately

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »
You: I am me. I am also more than just a collection of cells, a string of amino acids, a group of nerve impulses. Those things are what make me, but they are not what I am fundamentally. I am more than the sum of my parts, and I believe in the soul. That soul, that is what I am.

Someone else: Are they separate entities, or just my imagination? Frankly, I don't know, but if I had to guess, they're the same as me, only not me.

Time: A headache. I've thought about and get very confused... in the meantime, I keep plodding on through it. It's there, and we live in it and through it. Perhaps that's why I can't wrap my head around it, because I'm stuck in it!

Nature: That which exists. Everything that exists is natural. Everything that does not exist is unnatural. Dreams, thoughts, hopes for the future... these are not natural, but may one day become such.

Society: There are two people. Society is how they interact. It is not inherently right, or wrong, or anything. It's simply how people interact.

God/Religion: I am religious, in my own way. Some people like organisation and structure to their faith. Some people prefer a more personal approach. Both are fine. Both bad and good things have been done in the name of religion, but I wouldn't generalise. All established religions are just different ways of relating to and understanding the universe around us. Every person should consider them and come up with their own perspective.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Pvt. Dancer

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »
well a few replies, but not exaclty what i ment (though I gave my teacher things like the above aswell ;))

Can you write a story with those aspects in it, a story about you, a story of your life, something that happened in your life, get the point by now? :D

When I get mine back i'll see if I can translate it

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 03:34:53 PM »
So we are supposed to pick one of them and write a story about it? Or answer them all in one story?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline wakopanda

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
You: im important. but not all important. my body is a host for my mind, and ive got a duty to preserve them both, so that i can help someone or something. and that its my job to provide balance in the end. if i see a fight, i should break it up. if one side of a even debate is steamrolling the other, ill step in and make sure people dont get whitewashed with one view. ill play the devils advocate. thats my realy duty in this world.

Someone else: like above really. help out those who need it, and rein in those who step over the line.

Time: stops for no-one.

Nature: its not a sandbox. dont treat it as such.

Society: a lost cause once you reach the stage where there too many people to care about each other. villages worked better.

God/Religion: what about it? what might or might not be up there doesnt bother me for now. im down here on the ground, and thats where ill do my work. if there is a higher god or something like that, ill meet it if i have to. if i dont, im fine as i am right now.

Offline Pvt. Dancer

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:21 AM »
So we are supposed to pick one of them and write a story about it? Or answer them all in one story?
The latter is correct
All these need to be in it

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 07:46:22 AM »
You: The sum of all neurons and other bio-gadgets in my head.

Someone else: The sum of their neurons and biogadgets. I have too played with the thought that they are just robotish characters put into the world to make my life interesting :P

Time: The source of alot of hard physics. Bendable, perhaps even breakable/turnable, but as far as i know, one-dimentional.

Nature: Sum of evolutionary paths, ever changing, especially when we don't give a crap about it.

Society: Creatures living toghether under agreed-upon laws, for a greater benefit than living alone.

God/Religion: Myths made up to explain the (at the time) unexplainable. A very potent placebo effect.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)