News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: wat is a c'tan?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline -Faeruithir-

wat is a c'tan?
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:12:28 AM »
wat is a c'tan?

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: wat is a c'tan?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:40:02 AM »
An energy being that takes control of a metal body called a Necrodermis. Once it inhabits this body and is transferred into the physical world, it can bend the laws of physics and reality how it wishes and becomes a veritable god. Now and again it finds its Necrodermis destroyed in combat, so it has to leave its current body and go to its tomb where it obtains a new one, and so it never dies. Currently the only ones awake are the weakest, one who depends on treachery to achieve its ends, and another who was strongest at one point but was greatly weakened by the trickery of the first and so now is weak enough to be fielded in a typical Warhammer 40K battle. The remaining two are still asleep, waiting for their time to awaken and summon up their legions of Necron warriors and all that good stuff. ;)

Hope that cleared it up for you?

Offline syth773

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
good fluff explenation, however, they don't always inhabit metal bodies.  in their natural forums they are simply increadibly powerful beings of purse energy who devour stars to become stronger.  however, stars are pretty much just bread and water to them but the souls of living beings are a delicasy.  the enslaved the necrotyre race and made them into the necrons, giving them undying metal bodies to live in.  when fighting on the battlefield the C'tan will enter necrodermi to fight in.  as said above sometimes the necrodermi are destroyed and the C'tan is released but since the necrodermis was only a shell the C'tan can enter another one when they want.  I am not really sure why the C'tan need bodies in the first place as they were pretty devestating in their normal forms, i'll check up on that.

and one thing you are wrong about foxfire is that the ones awake are NOT the weakest.  the nightbringer was the strongest of all the C'tan, the deceiver, (who is weaker, but not the weakest) is a sneaky smacktard and tricked him into devouring the other C'tan.  this is found in the codex under the backstories of the two C'tan.

The reason they sealed themselves away is because they were afraid of running out of food.  the galaxy was so devestated by them that they decided to let it regrow while they slept so when they awoke they could feast again.  They were never actually defeated, they were just worried about their next meals.  HOWEVER, the races they had fed on were tipped off about them going to sleep and ambushed them so only 4 escaped, and yes they were weakened (maybe that is what foxfire meant).

but i suppose it shows how strong the C'tan are when in their eyes the galaxy is not some place to conquer, but a snack bar.

Offline Inquisitor Daedalus

• The Wicked
  • Ancient
  • God's in his Heaven, all is right in the world
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »
Currently the only ones awake are the weakest, one who depends on treachery to achieve its ends, and another who was strongest at one point but was greatly weakened by the trickery of the first and so now is weak enough to be fielded in a typical Warhammer 40K battle. The remaining two are still asleep, waiting for their time to awaken and summon up their legions of Necron warriors and all that good stuff. ;)

Read it again syth. ;)
He said exactly what you said, but just more cyrptic.
"Every war is fake, every disease false and every famine virtual. The Imperium has become a stagnent pool of heresy and I am here to stir things up."
- Inquisitor Daedalus

Offline syth773

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 04:22:30 PM »
ah, my bad, thought he said was saying it was the strongest of the ones alive now.  the first part about them being the weakest threw me off.

Offline -Faeruithir-

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
thanks for clearing that up for me, any thing else you find please post.

Offline ShadowX

• Life is a privilege. Death is your right.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 07:16:22 PM »
Or you could just buy the codex and read it all for yourself?

Xhadow
Aegis insubstantial; before the deluge.

We are already Dead.

Only the Insane have the strength to prosper.  Only those who prosper truly judge what is sane.

I shall become a Blight upon the land.  And everything I touch shall wither and die.

Offline -Faeruithir-

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 07:41:35 PM »
any particular point buying a codex for an army you are not collecting?

Offline Captain Spaff

• Captain
  • Pwned - sucka!
    • Wulfram: Free Online 1st Person Shooter Available For Download
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 07:52:21 PM »
I bought a codex for every army so far except for Witch and Daemon hunters. Ironically, I want to convert my pure infantry guard force to be under the command of an Inquisitor Lord now :P But it is always a good idea to read over other army codexes to see what they have to offer, and of course the fluff for most of them is an awesome read.
Venarskan Excavators: (Imperial Guard)-
Win=35
Loss=23
Draw=4

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 08:06:28 PM »
any particular point buying a codex for an army you are not collecting?

So you know what you are playing against, so some cheesy git won't pull some new 'rule' out and cheat.  Besides, most of the codeces, especially the new ones, are good reads.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Captain Spaff

• Captain
  • Pwned - sucka!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 08:26:09 PM »
Some armies as Lorence said it is important to read the Codex due to the fact they have so many special rules. Necrons is definately one of those that helped teach me alot about the army and how it generally is fielded.
Win=35
Loss=23
Draw=4

Offline syth773

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
i bought all the codex's (some in the store some on ebay) read them to see if i was interested in playing the armies, and eventually i memorized most of the rules.  you would be amazed at how many people (especially at GW events) seem to know none of their own army's rules.  In the case of people who are obviously new and are just making mistakes i'll point out their mistakes reguardless of weather it hurt or helps me in the game.  if they are someone who seems to know what they are doing and/or are just trying to cheese the game i'll point out mistakes they make which obviously put me at a disadvantage.

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2005, 09:12:43 PM »
so um... i bought the Necron Codex and all... and it is pretty vague about the Dragon and the other dude whose name has skipped my memory (one might go so far as to say that the Necron Codex is incrypted on those matters).  anyone got any more info on them?

"Look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?"

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2005, 06:29:36 AM »
the other one is the outsider.  dont ask for more, or else you get into the conspiracy theorists...  read the transcript on page 49 after the showcase for a little info on the dragon.  nobody knows anything for sure about the outsider really, except that hes really, really smart.
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline lump

• "My head Hurts!"
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2005, 07:17:43 AM »
i read all my mates codex's we swap them every now and again to learn all the rules, it was me who pointed out to him the gauss weapons rule about wounding and penetrating armour, he then proceeded to blast my falcons out of the sky with them grr.

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2005, 12:16:31 PM »
nobody knows anything for sure about the outsider really, except that hes really, really smart.

That and he's completely and utterly INSANE.  Like the Nightbringer he devoured a great deal of the other C'Tan  except that their absorbed essences drove him mad.  He is dementia; madness and insanity.. those in his presence are driven mad or kill themselves rather than endure him.  There are also quite a few theories involving Outsider; the Tyranids; and the Dyson Sphere..  The Dyson Sphere is a massive 1.04 AU orb that is out in front of the Hive Fleet Leviathan.  The Tyranids seem afraid of it ...

The Dragon is linked to the Machine God.  A small group of Necron Starships penetrated the defenses of Mars and attempted to make landfall in an abandoned sector; the Noctis Labyrinth.  Just what are the Adeptus Mechanicus worshipping...?

Xhadow

We are already Dead.

Only the Insane have the strength to prosper.  Only those who prosper truly judge what is sane.

I shall become a Blight upon the land.  And everything I touch shall wither and die.

Offline Captain Spaff

• Captain
  • Pwned - sucka!
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2005, 02:26:48 PM »
I don't know why but I've always had the nagging suspicion that the Laughing God had something to do with the C'tan devouring one another, and the Outsider.
Win=35
Loss=23
Draw=4

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »
They are linked.. I don't recall exactly how; I believe that the Outside thought it was in fact devouring the Laughing God when it destroyed the other C'Tan.  Except the Laughing God was always somewhere else and eventually the deceptions combined with the dead C'Tan drove the Outside mad.  I don't claim to be a fluff guru though so that may be off.. don't recall exactly where I picked that up.. although I remember that's why a lot of people are trying to link the Deciever to the Laughing God; in that they both cause were responsible for manipulating the death of C'Tan.

Xhadow

We are already Dead.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2005, 08:15:12 PM »
I always thought it was pretty clear that the Deceiver and the Laughing God were the same guy....maybe I'm wrong. But it was the Deceiver that told the C'tan to eat one another, so if the Laughing God did the same thing...

Where does it say that the Outsider is really really smart though? I'd like to see that, as I don't remember reading anything about it.

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #19 on: February 4, 2005, 10:39:26 PM »
Where does it say that the Outsider is really really smart though? I'd like to see that, as I don't remember reading anything about it.

I don't recall that bit either.. all I remember is that he's quite off his rocker.

Xhadow

We are already Dead.