News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 4-wheelers should be legal  (Read 846 times)

Offline Sikes Aurelius

• back from hiatus, gonna change profile some...
4-wheelers should be legal
« on: May 26, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »
What does everyone think about making it illegal for people to do things that are dangerous.
Anyhow what brought this up is that some guy drove his 4-wheeler off a bridge and now my county is going to try and outlaw the things.  In other states (Arizona) there is stuff like the dumb motorist law to stop people from being morons.  anyways just thought Id throw this question out there
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. ~~ Cicero

Cui Bono Fuerit(Whom did it benefit.) ~~ Longinus Cassius

Vi Et Armis (By force of arms.) ~~ Cicero

Flamers and Spammer go home! You're not wanted here. We will find you and smash your computer, then give you to Lomendil!

formerly Dark Side Always Wins
also formerly HMS Surprise

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: 4-wheelers should be legal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:01:03 AM »
They are legal here (Sweden). You jsut get your license. Same as a car or motorbike. If you want to outlaw the 4-wheeler bike (quad) then you need to outlaw cars as well, people get killed with/in/by those ALL the time.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »
They are legal here (Sweden). You jsut get your license. Same as a car or motorbike. If you want to outlaw the 4-wheeler bike (quad) then you need to outlaw cars as well, people get killed with/in/by those ALL the time.

true. More people are killed by cars than by sharks/bear/snakes combined in each year.

Nothing is not dangerous. The moment you carry on with life you already are faced with everyday dangers. Who judges who being dangerous ? I mean really...

Maybe they will start banning anything that can move by itself, prohibition anything with motor and the like  ::) uuuh yeah, lalala...
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 02:16:26 PM »
What does everyone think about making it illegal for people to do things that are dangerous.
Anyhow what brought this up is that some guy drove his 4-wheeler off a bridge and now my county is going to try and outlaw the things.  In other states (Arizona) there is stuff like the dumb motorist law to stop people from being morons.  anyways just thought Id throw this question out there

Its the same situation here in Scotland with Air-Rifles.

Offline Aronious

• (Arr-OH-Nee-uhs)
    • Game Rats
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »

Someone drove off a bridge with an Air-Rifle?

It's stupid that people try to outlaw things for the actions of one person. If 100 people died of fourwheeler accidents every year, then I understand. Even so, if you're going to outlaw any mode of movement, you might as well cut off all our legs because we could walk off a bridge with them. Or kill someone with them.

"We're an infantry regiment, Red. We fight. We die."- Master Horkin, Mage-at-Arms

http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php/topic,83795.0.html

"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."
-Goldfinger

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:29:05 PM »
4x4's are no use if you aren't going to drive them in bad terrain. That's their point. Otherwise it's an expensive way of looking adventurous.

Why did the guy drive off a bridge? Control failure, drink, drugs, random bad luck? Suicide?

Looking at the reasons is better than banning 4x4's (even though I don't like them much out of their natural environment, rough terrain).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 04:32:11 PM by Wurzelmaniac »
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 04:46:54 PM »
It's a very common human response. Making a solution to a problem, where the solution has nothing to do with the problem. It's like in California, they tried to ban the realistic FPS arcade games because that was what was making all the kids join gangs and commiting crimes. Yeah, the problem was that people were learning to shoot guns accurately... ::)
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Moto Stein

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 01:12:36 AM »
My 2 cents.
There should be no law preventing people to do stupid this that will (most probably) not affect anyone else. Take set belt law. If I'm retarded enough not to want to put one one, then that sould be my peragotive. Since no one else would be adversally hurt by my actions, seatbelts don't prevent recks. So, yes it is opressive to force anyone to be safe against there will.

Offline Major BigBadOgryn

• Major
  • Our pride is service, our duty is to die.
    • the best IG site on the net
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »
Well, if you are in the back seat you will kill someone in the front seat.
I don't know about banning them altogether(be like banning electrivity if someone stuck a fork in a socket), but where I live they aren't street legal, sort of a noise nuisance and all that.

Member Board 18 Chain of Command

From now until forever they shall utter our names. "Brave men," they'll say, "who fought for home and hearth; who stood proud when no light was left to see, when lands were drowned in blood. Strong men," they'll say, "who gave until their deaths."

Offline BT_Queen

• WOOKIES ARE SO BADASS.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 07:55:16 AM »
I don't mind four wheelers EXCEPT I think it should be illegal to drive them through forests, or paths of forests, etc ...

They destroy them, it's really sad.

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 09:27:27 AM »
Someone drove off a bridge with an Air-Rifle?

Someone was killed by one so now people are trying to ban them.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 09:32:17 AM »
That logic works. Look at how far banning guns, knives and drugs have gotten? :)

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 09:53:07 AM »
Banning guns did OK. Airguns though...

Even the most stupid members of my Scout group can handle them safely. Barely anyone has them and all they really get used for it target-shooting. Bows are about as lethal.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Pvt. Mungus

• A man with a plan...
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 10:02:35 AM »
what is a four-wheeler?

is like a quad bike?

I hope they don't ban those, I want to get one instead of those whacking big (and fuel-greedy) 'car' things....

they're more econimical than a car, but less so than a motorbike, but safer than a motorbike and less so than a car.... the ultimate compromise.... ;D and they can go offroad too ;D
The Underempire

This is war, not soccer. It could be soccer, but like monkey knife fight soccer, and really expensive.

Offline Sikes Aurelius

• back from hiatus, gonna change profile some...
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
Yeah I was just using that as an example...umm like 23 people have died and another 20 been hospitalized in my county and the ones north and northwest just to clarify.  He lost control on a railroad bridge and dropped about 100 feet and broke his spine...

umm for those of you who have different names for a 4-wheeler
some I know are All-Terrain-Vehicle, Quad, there are more but I cant remember them.  I have one and I like riding it but I do it the safe way on courses and stuff where I know the area.
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions. ~~ Cicero

Cui Bono Fuerit(Whom did it benefit.) ~~ Longinus Cassius

Vi Et Armis (By force of arms.) ~~ Cicero

Flamers and Spammer go home! You're not wanted here. We will find you and smash your computer, then give you to Lomendil!

formerly Dark Side Always Wins
also formerly HMS Surprise

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:21:49 PM »
apparently you have a higher chance of dying in the home than if you go out.

Offline Eldanesh

• The One and the Prime
  • Ancient
  • Remember Sammy Jankis
    • Cool Mini Gallery
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm for the legalization of anything that thins the herds of ignorant people by their own accord so long as they do a proper job of it and kill themselves rather than  expect society to fund their ignorange should they only become paralyzed or otherwise incapacitated.

I live in Nevada so this certainly includes the, Skoal chewing, flag waving,  hill billy off-roaders my wife has to consistently CT scan at the hospital every weekend when the smash into each other from drinking too much in the great outdoors.

Be my guest, I'll vote for it.
The Laughing God laughs at you, not with you.