News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Let me be the first to cry....  (Read 13555 times)

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
Re: Let me be the first to cry....
« Reply #40 on: July 6, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
Yo skeeter, while I think your interpretation is the original intent of the writers. There is a thread on dakkadakka discussing the legality of this move atm.

Initiative Steps Pile-in vs Swinging - Forum - DakkaDakka

Would be a good read in case you run into some rules lawyers in your upcoming games. I think you are doing it right; at least its my biased opinion :).
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #41 on: July 6, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
Yo skeeter, while I think your interpretation is the original intent of the writers. There is a thread on dakkadakka discussing the legality of this move atm.

Initiative Steps Pile-in vs Swinging - Forum - DakkaDakka

Would be a good read in case you run into some rules lawyers in your upcoming games. I think you are doing it right; at least its my biased opinion :).

First; What are you doing on another forum? I think the 40kOL inquisition should be notified that they need to pay you a visit...;)

Next, well at my LGS we have a few rules lawyers, and whats worse is we have a few players where winning the game is more important than their honor, and are more than willing to stretch a few things as long as it is in their favor. This makes knowing the rules, as well as where to find them, very important to us "normal" players. Makes it so that when we get paired with one of the first two types of players we can still have a fun game.

I have already played one game against a rule lawyer, and his las cannon spam IG, and not only did I learn the rules much better, (I think he has them memorized now) and I had the rare opportunity to test various tactics under the new rules. So as far as I can tell the initiative one step where the nob moves in for the kill is both perfectly legal and acceptable tactics to avoid getting into challenges without losing his attacks.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #42 on: July 7, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
I had my first 3 games in 6th today, all be it with eldar not orks (I know, i know, I'm sorry), Sony won't have any specific tactics but the way it see it: Overwatch isn't very effective without foreboding, with just a 1/6 chance off hitting, e. having to wound as well, it will rarely have a big impact (blade stormed my dire avengers at a squad of plague marines, resulting in 1 wound, which was saved).
also, you can Often charge further than you could before. it may be variable (though I didn't feel it using  eldar), but it is capable of getting a lot farther. also, it adds more excitement  to that die roll, (but this does means the entire battle hangs on the result of one roll, more than I think it should) but adds in some really tense moments (and some hasty prayers and offerings to the dice gods, and in one of my battles Nurgle (they even had the marines in squads of 7))

Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #43 on: July 7, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
First; What are you doing on another forum? I think the 40kOL inquisition should be notified that they need to pay you a visit...

Hahaha pls dont give me a thrashin boss.

But na, I come to 40konline for the community and dakka when I wanna watch nerds argue lol.

The latter is an unfortunate necessity in our hobby, so I find it useful to have valid retorts for the powergamers.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2012, 07:02:28 PM by Respekt »
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: July 8, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
About the only thing that the orks got nerfed on was the waagh. Saturday while fighting DE I went for the waagh and found that under the new rules if you run in the shooting phase you can't charge, even with fleet. All fleet does is now it allows a reroll. Now I don't use the waagh that much, so I didn't notice the nerf until this weekend, so sorry about that. I again had a victory as I tabled the DE on turn three (we need an ultimate cheese smiley).

Against eldar I won in victory points. The first time in a long time that I have won a kill points game  ;D I won 10 to 9, and what won if for me is I had a line breaker point and killed his boss point, so I am really pleased that I can get extra points for doing what I do anyway. Good Stuff.

The burna boys are the new must have units, they rock! So my 15 burnas in a BW led by the KFF Big ek with burna and boss pole are the new meta in my army. I must brag that against the DE beast unit they scored 73 wounds and fried the whole unit out of existence. (I think it was 5 masters with full allotments of chimeras and razor wings).  ;D
   Also the flash gits are a great unit now. Good shooting and the assault snazz gun is great as you can move and fire without having to snap shot. I even added in Capt Badrukk instead of a battle wagon and gave them a looted Agis Line instead. In both games the flash gits came through without a casualty.  8)

I like this new rule set, as six solid wins in a row is the longest winning streak I have had in a long time (without having to resort to the orks never lose rule)  :)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: July 8, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

The burna boys are the new must have units, they rock! So my 15 burnas in a BW led by the KFF Big ek with burna and boss pole are the new meta in my army.

Just a word of waring incase you hadn't picked up on it, the new FAQ for the KFF gives enemy units (not vehicles) cover saves too... Of course this isnt a problem for our Burnas, but still worth bearing in mind...

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #46 on: July 8, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
I didn't see anything that would indicate that the KFF gives cover saves to the enemy...  Where exactly is that written?

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
« Reply #47 on: July 8, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
Directly from the codex:
"A kustom force field gives all units within 6" of the Mek a cover save of 5+."

All units means that enemies can also take advantage of it. ;)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #48 on: July 8, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
Pg 2 of the FAQ 1st column 3rd paragraph where is says "all units" within range of the mek

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: July 9, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »
That is fine with me  :) if an enemy unit wants to get within 6" of my KFF mek, who is leading the burna boys, so that they can try to get a cover save that is fine with me.  ;D

Also if/when I take a second KFF mek, he usually leads the flash gits (as he is cheeper than Capt Badrukk) and if they want to get close enough for my gits to have point blank range thats fine with me. The new gitfinda rule makes that just a silly idea.

Now for those of you who don't have the burna boy unit (yet) then maybe you might want to worry about it, but as for my army; we look forward to any unit that wants to share our KFF bubble.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #50 on: July 9, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Hmmm...  I wonder if that was the intention of the rule...  Most benefits, wargear, etc are army based.  Take Sanguinar priests for instance; there FNP cannot affect non-BA units...  I wonder if that was the intention with orks as well...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: July 9, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
Well, there are always "those" who are looking for loopholes to be used for their advantage later on. Then there are the "victims" of those loopholers, who post to others to warn us of the abuse they suffered.

At my LGS we have a couple of loopholers (we use less affectionate terms) and when I must play them I always learn something new, and of course being retired military I can throw back the "BS" when they try it. Being a good ork; I have very thick skin.  ;)

I do think that if another player tried to use my KFF save for his army, then I would have to think of something nasty to do them. However in reality, if someone is THAT close to my orks and hasn't been assaulted yet, then that means they either deep struck there or are fleeing. Either way they won't be there the next turn.  ;D

For example a GK player tried to get me to give his unit a cover save from my Tank Bustas shooting at him from their BW. He tried to point out that since the "open top" part of the BW is in the rear, and since I was firing "over" the top of the cab of the BW that his unit should get a cover save since I was shooting over another unit. So I told him that is fine, as long as I get cover saves from your marines shooting out of rhinos as obviously they are shooting over the open hatch door. He decided he didn't need the cover save from the tank bustas.

Just be aware that there are indeed people out there who will put winning above their honor and will try almost anything to get that win. Remember this is a game, and it takes two people (or more) to play this game. If such a person tries stuff on you and continues too, then in the future refuse to play them. I would rather play a teaching game with a pair of eight year olds than play some loopholer. When nobody will play against them, eventually they will either go away or change their attitude as they want to play the game.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #52 on: July 9, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Hmmm...  I wonder if that was the intention of the rule...  Most benefits, wargear, etc are army based.  Take Sanguinar priests for instance; there FNP cannot affect non-BA units...  I wonder if that was the intention with orks as well...

Adam

I think the reason for that is 1 fluff based and 2 balance based.
The Sanguinary Priest special rule only works on marines that have Sanguinius's blood, hence they do not work on other models (also needed for game balance)
Same with Aura of discipline with the Lord Commissar. Marines would not be impressed by this as they do not recognise his authority.

A Force field on the other hand is indiscriminate. Granting it's effect to everything in range.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
I figured I'd throw in my 2 teef on the KFF subject:

Seems to me that if an opponent is trying to gain an advantage from YOUR wargear, then he's obviously a "loop-holer" as pointed out by SKEETERGOD.  Crush him immediately...they will only keep coming back to try this again and again, somewhat like gamer roaches....

On the KFF.  Remember the fluff:  orky technology, or know whats/whatnots/shiney bitz, primarily works because they believe it will work.  Look at the fluff pieces in our last codex.  Imperial study of even basic weapons couldn't get them to work, because of psychic haromoncs.  Non-orks don't have the wavelength in their biochemistry to activate the weapon, to get the vehicle to move that extra bit because it's red, etc.  Why, then, would a KFF work for a non-ork, if they weren't an ally to begin with?  If an ork believes you're an ally, then they'll believe that their red trukk goes fasta, that the zzap gun will work with a good thwack, and that the mek's KFF will protect ya's; even if it's only fer a bit.

So, if your opponent/enemy is trying to take advantage of your KFF, cry shananagans, look 'em straight in the eye, and krump 'em good.   

Again, my 2 teef...got plenty left....
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline waylander1983

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
personally i don't see why they cant take advantage of it, a kff projects a protective bubble and once an enemy is inside it they should get the benefits of said bubble, maybe not from things already inside but from things outside of it.

Offline MajorMcNicol

• My blog: projects and pictures
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Planetary Defense Force
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
I agree with waylander.  I don't think it's a loophole, I think it's a fluffy rule.  It puts up a bubble, whatever is in the bubble gets the save. 
40k Blog:  Andy G. and Ian C. | Warhammer 40,000, Battlefleet Gothic and more
40k, WFB, DW, FS:A, Necromunda, BFG, FOW

Kislev is land and land is Kislev.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
Well then, since we are pushing the envelope the other way, then this means if my opponent can gain from the KFF then so can my allied detachment.

Now in the past there were various rules that another army could not benefit from a different armies war gear. I realize that was soooo last edition, BUT... If we are to start this little snowball as an innocent "aww let them use the KFF save", then the next thing is we will have them mounting into our empty battle wagons, or after overrunning a grot gun team, turning the now captured grot guns against us, or chaos marines taking a weird boy so they can get a waagh, avalanche.
     Hmmm, that would be cool to capture a thunderfire cannon and turn it on its previous owners.

SLAP....

Ok, I am better now.

I will dig and dig and dig, but I am pretty sure that there is a rule somewhere that says something along the lines of not benefiting from another armies war gear or abilities.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:57:59 PM by SKEETERGOD »

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
Well then, since we are pushing the envelope the other way, then this means if my opponent can gain from the KFF then so can my allied detachment.

Now in the past there were various rules that another army could not benefit from a different armies war gear. I realize that was soooo last edition, BUT... If we are to start this little snowball as an innocent "aww let them use the KFF save", then the next thing is we will have them mounting into our empty battle wagons,
     Hmmm, that would be cool to capture a thunderfire cannon and turn it on its previous owners.

I will dig and dig and dig, but I am pretty sure that there is a rule somewhere that says something along the lines of not benefiting from another armies war gear or abilities.

Well, you definitely can t bored energy transports, so they can't jump in the wagons, but I have had a quick look through the rule book for things like that, and I cant find anything.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

+++Melon melon melon+++

Offline Sheep

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
Just want to share a plus for the green with 6th.

Shootaboys taking a charge.

Mob of 30 delivers 90 shots  ;)
Constipated people don't give a amphetamine parrot!

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
Just want to share a plus for the green with 6th.

Shootaboys taking a charge.

Mob of 30 delivers 90 shots  ;)

Umm, no, a full mob of boyz delivers 60 shots, and it's not really that great, it's Allright, but nothing to get excited about 60 shots= ten hits= 5 wounds=one-two MEQ's dead :P

+++Melon melon melon+++