News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scrapyard Build-Off - July - CLOSING SOON  (Read 22133 times)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
Scrapyard Build-Off - July - CLOSING SOON
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »
SCRAPYARD BUILD-OFF

Welcome to the WotW - Green Menaces monthly Scrapyard Build-off!

How It Works
At the end of the month (a new thread will go upon on the 27th) if you have a model, unit or piece of terrain you want/need to *finish you simply make a post in this thread stating what needs finishing, and post a picture or pictures of the model or models you wish to enter. You then have a full month from the 1st to 31st within which to finish your entry.

How You Win
Every person who enters the Scrapyard Build-off will have their project judged for 'difficulty of completion' by one or more of the Boss Council & Nobz and an appropriate incentive (bribe *cough* bribe) in the way of Teef will be assigned to each entry.

Should you fail to finish and post pictures of your completed project at the end of the month you get nothing. Should you complete your project within the month you will get the full amount of Teef assigned to it. The more challenging your project, the more you stand to win.

A completed project will only count if it is built, painted, and if appropriate, based. A painted model must comprise of more than three (3) colours.

Do or Die!
Sometimes people like to bite off more than they can chew, and for those special people whose projects come to an estimated 25 Teef or more, we will allow, if they want to, to earn some additional Teef by making a wager that they will complete their project on time. This wager will be a set amount of Teef to be agreed upon with myself, one of Boss Council or Nobz. Once the amount is decided, you must post in the thread that you are waging that amount on the completion of your project.

Should you complete the project, you will get the original amount of Teef for completing your project, plus the additional Teef from your ‘Do or Die’ wager.

Should you fail… heaven forbid you do, not only will you not earn any Teef, Teef will be taken from your bank account equal to your ‘Do or Die’ wager. Ouch!

Reentering An Unfinished Project
If you fail to complete your project from the month or months before, and you wish to reenter it into the competition you must post updated photos and information on whatever changes you have made since initially entering the project. Failure to do so will mean you can't compete, and lying about what you have or have not done will not be tolerated.

In addition you will automatically lose a quarter of the Teef you would stand to gain from completing a reentered project; such is the price of laziness, do it proper first time or pay up.

* The Scrapyard Build-off is all about finishing models and projects, not necessarily starting new ones, so there is no need to spend large sums of money on new models to compete every month, just pull out those uncompleted projects I know everyone of us has.

JUNE WINNERS
Skeetergod's Deffkoptas recieve 14 Teef
AoD's Ard Boyz recieve 17 Teef
Adamscurr's Nob Bikers recieve 15 Teef (you did finish them right?)

JULY'S COMPETITORS
Adamscurr's Trukk & Burnaz Boyz could get 11 Teef
OD from TV's 11 Killa Kans could get -  Its really hard to calculate without tons of pics or detailed info, so could you tell me what stage of construction each Kan is at?
Skeetergod's Fightabomba could get 22 Teef (I'm allowing you a Do Or Die bet cuz you have the most Teef at the moment)
angel of death 007's Kustom Dread could get 11 Teef
Zognut's Fighta could get 16 Teef
MekEad's Dread Wall could get 48 Teef (if built straight from the box & painted - Do Or Die bet is allowed)
Numinak's Grot Tanks could get 24 Teef (Do or Die bet is allowed)
DaBadMoon's Flashgitz could get - I dont know how many Flashgitz you are making or what level of work they're up to. Contact me please.
Ravyn's 'Thunda-dome could get 18 Teef
Typhon's Kustom Battlewagon could get 14 Teef
Dropfall's Mega Dread could get 12 Teef
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:37:58 AM by DropFall »

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off - July Intake Now Open!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
I'm going to enter a trukk I started last month...  I won't have the whole month to finish, since I need the model for a tourney on the 16th.  I'm also entering 8 burna boyz...  Here is my pic to show the trukk...

The burnas are standard GW unmodified... I'm adding them to my existing 6...And I'm going to struggle to finish my nobz from the previous month, even though I'm chomping at the bit to get started on these models as I need them for a tourney! lol

Alright...  Here is the burnas and the trukk with a solid coating of rust followed by some light dry brushing with some metalics...  For the rust, I used my base of black undercoat, followed by a light spraying with a rust colored acrylic spray primer.  This saves me the hassle of having to dry brush so much red. 

I then go over the rust with dry brushed blood red, blazing orange, and lastely, sunburst yellow.  This gives it a nice rusty appearance and is very fast to do.  I did all of this so far in one night...  Lastly, any metallic will bring out some of the bare metal.  I will hit it with a little ink to tone down any spots that are too bright today!

On an unrelated to the challenge, I included my home made beer in the background.  I just finished brewing my first stout, and it is tasty!

Alright...  I added some Red paint...  It does make it go faster afterall! lol  I was careful to leave a lot of rust and metal showing through...  I would also like to add the nobz in the front to my challenge...  i realized I needed two more power klaw nobz to complete my list...

Adam

« Last Edit: July 3, 2011, 02:43:07 PM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:28:53 AM »
About a year ago I went and bought the Killa kan box, just for the personal challenge of seeing how far I could stretch it.  Well sadly that project/projekt got sidelined and has been gathering dust in a corner.  Well No more!

Since the plan is to use these for an IA 8 Dreadmob list, as well as the conventional codex, I will be finishing 6 Rokkit Kans and 5 Grotzooka Kans (each are at differing stages of development from just the early dents scratches and faceplate, to the one that's 1/2 painted)

Is it ambitious?  Yes.  Is it insane to try to finish 11 kans in a month?  Yes.  Will I fail?  Only time will tell.

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:42:26 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
Well I am entering my newest fighta-bomma.

I bought the model during the "flyers" month, and then lost my round to it. So to get my round to it back I am entering the model.  I intend to orkify the model and make it a fighta bomma, starting from scratch.

Here you see the box, with the plastic still on it.

And here I just now opened the box, and have my two bits boxes open next to it. (and my dog Charlie came to see if he could help)

And to top it off, I am making a Do or Die bet for the full value of whatever points this project may be deemed worth.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
It is going to be a busy month for me but I want try to get my custom dread done.    He will be my dread leader when he is complete.   

(capture mission can be seen here)  http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=210694.0

Some back story.   Duriing the WotW Febwaaghry campaign the boyz went to battle in a recon / prisoner capture mission.   During the mission a daemon prince was captured.   After being tortured for information he was given over to the Wierd boyz to try to posses his mind with that of an ork.  All the really managed to do was turn him green.   The wierdboyz got the help of the Mad Dok......

Whoz readi 4 surgury.......

This dread will be used for my Dread Mob Apocalypse formation.   It will be equipped with 2 DCCW's, skorcha and Big Shoota plus a KFF.   He will also be seen in an upcoming ork event....   to be announced!!!

I have a couple of the base items started and made a custom big shoota which you can see in the pic.  He needs to be built by the middle of the month but I doubt he will be painted til after the event.   

Offline Higsby

• Ork Yoof
  • There's a reason they call it the WAAAGH!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
I won't be able to really participate this month, I'll be out of country for most of July! I haven't even finished painting my boyz for last months build-off yet either  :-\

@skeetergod - Thats a sweet project! Next month I hope to see your doomwheel-warboss konversion  ;)

@adam - I love the big tusks on the front of your trukk! It'd be sweet if you impaled some skeletons or a space marine on the front of them!

Offline zero88

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
Not sure if this counts but due to me playing almost only speed freaks now, I feel it's time to make a bigger, better Warboss on warbike. (My current one is only slightly bigger than a nob biker)

SO

I ordered the bits needed today, going to be bashing together bits from a warbike, a trukk, a deff dread, and a sentinel. A AoBR warboss will be getting cut up to be the rider.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
Not sure if this counts but due to me playing almost only speed freaks now, I feel it's time to make a bigger, better Warboss on warbike. (My current one is only slightly bigger than a nob biker)

SO

I ordered the bits needed today, going to be bashing together bits from a warbike, a trukk, a deff dread, and a sentinel. A AoBR warboss will be getting cut up to be the rider.

Absolutely does...    Konversions are always welcome and are very orky..

I won't be able to really participate this month, I'll be out of country for most of July! I haven't even finished painting my boyz for last months build-off yet either  :-\

@skeetergod - Thats a sweet project! Next month I hope to see your doomwheel-warboss konversion  ;)

Higsby I hope you have a safe trip.  Don't worry I don't see these monthly events ending any time in the future.

Oh no tempting skeetergod....  as if he really needs any more temptation or challanges to take on another project...   LOL.  He may need to build himself a life sized suit of Mega armor to keep himself safe from "she who must be obeyed"  with all these projects....

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
  • To er is 'umie, to WaaaaaaagH! is divine.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
Well I suppose I will submit a Scratch-Build Ork Fighta.

I officially started it last week but I've been drag-arsing with it so this is perfect motivation to pull my finger out and get it finished.

I need it constructed in it's constitute parts to be ready for a nice big friendly game of apocalypse at GW Warhammer World in Nottingham on the 8th leaving the rest of the month to finish detailing it and painting it.

I've used 0.25 and 0.75 mm plasticard and 1mm styene rod for the rivets.

A friend with more money than sense has donated a storm raven flying base to mount it on :D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:13:58 AM by Zognutz »
Blood Axe Orks W/D/L - 12/3/1

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:59:59 AM »
I'm following OD's challenge as well for July, but perhaps with 200% more insanity:

A more serious tender for July to follow.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
that's a lot of boxes........

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
First to OD. Your making 9 kans out of one box my only question is how are you doing the legs.

As for this can I do something that is about half completed it's still in the conversion stage and he needs work. But still debating if I will do it work is consumming most of my time currently little time for the orks this month.

Thanks

Offline theeldar

• Ork Boy
  • A bark bigger than my bite...
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
Ok, I need 5 Flash Gitz.....so...I'll be taking a box of Lootas, using their harnesses and gun and adding on barrels for the More Dakka, adding the eye sighter thingy, and throwing some extra 'eavy armor on em since dey be flashy.
Stats                 W       L       D
Space Wolves    2         0      0
Angel Mechinus  3        1       1

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
@ Higsby:  Ya, some impaled imperial might be the way to go...!lol

@ Zognutz: that's some really grat plasticard work...  your fighta bomma is really looking nice...  I'm particularly impressed with your rivets...  My homemade rivets never look quite so nice...  I'm also liking the wayto bent the plasticard to the shape of your fighta rather than just gluing it on...  Was it thin enough to bend or did you have to heat it?

Adam

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
@Adam

Actually, the first layer was scored and bent using 0.25mm then it was skinned panel at a time with 0.75mm plasticard with the edges smoothed with a fine grade wet'n'dry paper.

A few people have asked me how i do rivets now, hehe. I just cut tiny pieces off a rod of 1mm styrene and glue them one at a time [it's actually really enjoyable... it sound like a boring nut-ache] to smooth there edges and ensure an even hight I ran over then whole section with the ol' wet'n'dry paper.

@MekHed... dear god man... that's alot of walkers, best of luck to you

@skeet - great plan, I was gonna use a 1:32 scale harrier for a fighta-bomma [I'm a Navy WaFu :D]but I'm unsure of the scale so I'll be watching yours closely

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »
At Zog:  I do the same technique qith my rivets, they just never come out the same thickness, so some look more raised then others...  I don't consider this a problem with ork builds, but it does not look as good with other armies!

Since I'm asking questions...  How do you manage to make such clean cuts and precise measurements with your plasticard...  Again, my cuts are never smooth and rarely fit together with such precision...  Again also, it just adds to the flavor on my own vehicals, but I'd like to learn to work cleaner...  How do you do it?

Adam

Offline Numinak

• Ork Boy
  • Demo charges, the perfect gift to give.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
Oh, why not?  I'll toss my had in here. I've got a couple of grot tanks I've been meaning to finish but havent touched in a year or more. They are semi-assembled at the moment, but very much need completion before I can even get to painting them.

This is the first of 3 I'm building.  It's not quite finished, and the other 2 aren't hardly even started.
What is not destroyed by bombardment will be crushed under the treads of our tanks!

Offline Zognutz

• Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »
At Zog:  I do the same technique qith my rivets, they just never come out the same thickness, so some look more raised then others...  I don't consider this a problem with ork builds, but it does not look as good with other armies!

Since I'm asking questions...  How do you manage to make such clean cuts and precise measurements with your plasticard...  Again, my cuts are never smooth and rarely fit together with such precision...  Again also, it just adds to the flavor on my own vehicals, but I'd like to learn to work cleaner...  How do you do it?

Adam

Simple answer... I'm an aircraft engineer [figures] working wirh 0.25mm limits is something I do every day... only with titanium and nickle steel [which isnt as easy to manipulate as styrene... shock horror] so plasticard is like a tinker toy for me.

Sharp scalpel, metal ruler and a head for maths... that should do it

I'll save constant progress update pics for my project log here

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=214433.msg2624064#new

new  pics just added - centre fusilage built out and both main planes fitted
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:41:28 PM by Zognutz »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Zognutz you have some mad skill there.    I am decent at konverting but I dunno if I would ever be able to scratchbuild anything (especially not to that level)

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »
I'm going to be trying the "Ork Dome" pics from last month I haven't done anything to it yet except gather materials and the damned thing still doesn't sit flush to its base, so I have to think of something for that

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting