News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: International Campaign Interest  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Eadartri

• Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life
International Campaign Interest
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
I didn't have a better Subject title. What I want to know is if there is interest in a campaign along the lines of the Medusa V campaign some years back: You played a battle, you submitted a result. There were periodic updates and an overall result. So, are you interested? How long would you want it to run? Would you want it to have any particular focus? What would you want to get out of it?

I think we could put something together: a synthesis of our ideas. You game? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Under Construction:

SFCampaign.wordpres s.com

Eldar Unite! War Calls! Descend upon Medusa V!

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: International Campaign Interest
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
I like the idea, but I'm afraid I'm too busy with local campaigns and boring grownup stuff to participate. I'd definitely follow such a campaign though!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:11 AM »
Have you seen this topic?  It might be of some interest to you.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:47:34 AM »
I, also, would *like* to do something like this, but I've barely had time for a game lately, let alone participate in a campaign. Good luck, though!

Offline Foalchu

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
Similarly, I would like to participate in such a campaign, though I am really only in 4th ed. as far as rules go, and I am super busy these days
"Some call the Eldar decadent.  If that is true, the Imperial Army could do with some of that decadence."
"We warned you of the price of your actions, now you must pay it in full - in blood."
*cringe-worthy teen sig section removed*

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »
I usually get in a game or two a month. I'll be happy to put those results to a campaign system.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
I count 3 busy/lack of time, 1 interested in following, and 1 willing to participate.

Thank you for the responses.

How does this sound? A campaign built on 20% participant direction, 20% presentation and 60% shorter/quicker game emphasis.

This comes to mind: 1 on 1 small games, or 2 on 2 team play, veteran players teaming up with newer players, intro/small armies battles with the option to do 1 or more, open or scheduled times; a nice online page summarizing the campaign with daily/weekly, monthly, overall stats by army, player, possibly region or continent; and events/battlezones as directly suggested by players or indirectly by armies fielded. 
« Last Edit: March 9, 2015, 05:54:58 PM by Eadartri »
Under Construction:

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
Even though i don't know how we would be pulling it of i guess i would gladly be joining in :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »
Here is my plan. I will be getting a website and email address ready for the launch of a campaign. On it will be, as permitted and with a disclaimer, faction names (possibly sub-faction) and an influence statistic for each faction. All factions will begin at 100% and will upgrade +1% for each win or downgrade -1% for each loss. Should any faction be reduced to 0% the campaign ends with the highest percentage faction being the winner. Otherwise the campaign will end three months from launch with the highest percentage faction being the winner. In either instance there can be an option to restart the campaign.

To participate, determine prior to any battle whether the battle will contribute to the campaign. After the battle, determine of which faction the winner and loser were, or if the game was a draw. Send me an email with the battle result to be posted on the website. The statistical change will be updated for the day/week, month and campaign duration.

I can explain more in my next post.

Under Construction:

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
That sure sound pretty sweet but i really wonder how the faction will work out i mean i play eldar, my most common ennemy might and will surely be blood angels... i can make every game count in the campaign if my oppponents agrees, but that mean i will only be exchanging point with blood angels, and I'm sure going to make eldar loose quite some point.

Then i was thinking people we play against are they concidered in the campaign even thought they might not be on the website or posting result ? 
Should i propose the campaign to my local shop so that every people wanting to be joining do so and the shop keeper give the result by mail (or the player do so)... 

Will there be a point limit for the batlle or will it be free of that? Does the difference in points, if there is, affect the percentage gained? for example does an apocalyptic game of 6000 pts give the same 1% per win or shouldn' they be giving something like 5%? not like i believe we would be having a lot of those but for some faction that could create a last second commeback.  You could have 1% change regarding on every full 1000 points , 0>2000 = 1% , 2001>3000=2% ...  etc

If there is several faction in the same side of a game how do we do?  i mean some eldar with dark eldar allies for example, do we give it to the primary detachment being eldar for an example, or do we give half the point to each, being some time we have 0,5 % for a small game. 

Are race dependant on a faction, or is it a faction like some hordes vs alliance in wow for example where race does not count only belief therefore, the player have to chose a factino before playing the game but can field any army they want to work for it ?

Well thta's a lot of random question i know, but srly this looks really fun to me so far :D  so i'm looking forward to it^^ I will try to get a few of the player i know to be joining the forum, tried several time but having the campaing motivation might help ^^

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
You raise some very good questions.

My thought was to make such a campaign as free and as open as possible. That is, any army being played and at any points value, especially now with the ability to do Unbound armies (Which I am not convinced of but it seems to make for and ease of entry into the game.)

The percentage is simply a possibility. It could be a rating say of 1000 with each battle +/- 1. Even so it would take fifty losses to reduce 100% influence to 50% and that would be a 100% losing streak. Plus, you could always trade armies for a game and see what happens. Other people playing the same faction can offset this.

I would say as long as one of the players is reporting a battle result for the campaign, it should count. Players would simply need to agree which one of them is going to send the result to prevent duplication.

As to your local shop, that would be for you to determine. My local shop has a bulletin board and encourages seeking players for whatever game system is of interest. Again, I think either player could send a result. The shopkeeper will hopefully be busy filling new orders and restocking.

As was mentioned lack of time seems common. The ability to field any size (point value) army may help the time factor. The size of the battle having greater impact I am just uncertain about for two reasons. The battles of entry level players (likely players with small armies) will hold less value. Battles in 40k are representative of much larger battles, so even high points games are not a full engagement. In these ways, it does not seem to matter. However, it is a good point you make.

My thinking on detachments is the win goes to the primary detachment, unless it is two armies fighting together each having their own primary detachments (Say a two on two game).

I'm not sure how the math would work but it seemed to me it may be preferable to track various Chapters, Craftworlds, etc. over race. This said, players with more general forces might decide the Chapter, Craftworld, etc. as needed. Which factions are involved? It all depends on the armies fielded. And the armies fielded will influence the narrative.

These are good questions and as I said, the more easily a player might participate, the better the campaign might be.

Addition: I am setting up the website at the moment and I will post the address as soon as it becomes active.

Additional Addition: For what I want to do I had too many interface problems in setting up the website. It's up but I don't think it will serve the purpose well as much as a short post would. Reconsidering.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:19:40 PM by Eadartri »
Under Construction:

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
It's possible we could set something up for you here, but you'd have to PM a Moderator about it.

Here's a question: what if *I'm* in the campaign but my opponent isn't? Can I count that as a campaign game, or must it be against other players in the campaign?

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »

My thought was to make such a campaign as free and as open as possible. That is, any army being played and at any points value, especially now with the ability to do Unbound armies (Which I am not convinced of but it seems to make for and ease of entry into the game.)

that sound good to me :D

The percentage is simply a possibility. It could be a rating say of 1000 with each battle +/- 1. Even so it would take fifty losses to reduce 100% influence to 50% and that would be a 100% losing streak. Plus, you could always trade armies for a game and see what happens. Other people playing the same faction can offset this.

ok fine by me I hardly believe we will have a tons of people on this... but well you never knows^^

I would say as long as one of the players is reporting a battle result for the campaign, it should count. Players would simply need to agree which one of them is going to send the result to prevent duplication.
simple enought for me.

As to your local shop, that would be for you to determine. My local shop has a bulletin board and encourages seeking players for whatever game system is of interest. Again, I think either player could send a result. The shopkeeper will hopefully be busy filling new orders and restocking.

Well, I will see with him if I get to go there. Btw will you put a time limit to the game result? I mean if the guy's send his game result one week after the game does that pose a problem?

As was mentioned lack of time seems common. The ability to field any size (point value) army may help the time factor. The size of the battle having greater impact I am just uncertain about for two reasons. The battles of entry level players (likely players with small armies) will hold less value. Battles in 40k are representative of much larger battles, so even high points games are not a full engagement. In these ways, it does not seem to matter. However, it is a good point you make.

I can agree with this but i still believe that up to a certain point you should have a litle bit more impact, even if it's only a tiny bit.

My thinking on detachments is the win goes to the primary detachment, unless it is two armies fighting together each having their own primary detachments (Say a two on two game).

then in case of 2on2 what do we do?  do we give extra point for the game i mean every player getting to lose or win point for his faction depending on the result? or do we do a whole package where the two teamate chose where goes the points?

I'm not sure how the math would work but it seemed to me it may be preferable to track various Chapters, Craftworlds, etc. over race. This said, players with more general forces might decide the Chapter, Craftworld, etc. as needed. Which factions are involved? It all depends on the armies fielded. And the armies fielded will influence the narrative.
... huuuuum  and what in my case for example i have yet to fix the background of my craftwolrd, what should i do? do i count myself in as one of the standard craftworld, or do I just let the result go until i fixed my back story.

Addition: I am setting up the website at the moment and I will post the address as soon as it becomes active.

Additional Addition: For what I want to do I had too many interface problems in setting up the website. It's up but I don't think it will serve the purpose well as much as a short post would. Reconsidering.

would you be able to give a a sneak peek then?  like we can have a better idea of what you were trying to accomplish? Maybe we can help thinking up an interface so that it work nicely.

I thought about something earlier but i can't find it again so I will notify you if I ever remember or think something new ^^

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »
I really appreciate the refinement here.

It may be best to leave the 100% influence / score 1000 or whatever open and make it a function of the number of players. Let's say a score of 10 per player. So ten players: score 100, 100 players: score 1000. Regardless, a three month completion point will serve to determine a campaign winner.

Sending in a result a week after should not be a problem for the overall score of the campaign but as far as a weekly update it may be a problem. I guess a 24 hours or even a 48 hours allowance would be ok but whatever the allowance, that would be the week's posting: results posted on a Tuesday or Wednesday. My thinking is 24 hours should be sufficient, but hey, Imperial bureaucracy, warp travel problems, webway infiltration, it may add to the fun. :)

As far as large point battles go having greater weight, as I said, I just don't know. On the one hand, you have someone who has invested much into an army, on the other, you have the new player. What if you had an additional influence point/score point per 500 army points or even 1000 points? I think it could work. At what point do you think a battle should be weighted twice as much or in some way more? I guess I am open to this point.

In the case of two on two where every player has a primary detachment I would say the winning side gains a win for each of the factions the players play and a loss for each of the factions that lost. Say you have a 2 on 2 game where all of the four players have a primary detachment, the winning side has a win result for each faction, 2 if the same faction, 1 each if different factions. The losing side has a loss, 2 losses if the same faction, 1 each if different factions.

As to custom chapters or craftworlds, etc. perhaps an option is best. The player chooses, prior to the battle, which chapter or craftworld the result will apply to, or, the faction is separately listed in the campaign stats, or, all custom factions are combined as a single faction by race, say "Custom Space Marine Chapters" or "Custom Craftworlds". I will add that I think the first two of the three possibilities seem best to me.

As to the website, yes, the address is sfcampaign.wordpres s.com , but I will say this, I am just getting going with it and it is nothing much, I'm not sure that it would be better than a post, and I find the 40konline interface much easier to use. With moderator permission of course, I am thinking a post would be better.
Under Construction:

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
This is a sample of what I mean:

Faction Rank, Faction Name, Wins-Losses-Draws, Influence

1 Biel Tan 2-0-0 102%
2 Blood Angels 1-1-0 100%
3 Ultra Marines 1-1-0 100%
4 Ulthwe 0-2-0 98%

It is non-geographic/non-map but this allows for any player with any army to play any other player with any army. The win/loss difference (influence) represents territory under faction control. The faction rank placing would be as many as there are factions participating. (The above is just an alphabetical and numerical example.)

Each week summary could include all battle results for that week:

Biel Tan win over Blood Angels 3/13
Ultramarines win over Ulthwe 3/14

This would be two different battles played on different days.

Anyway this is what I was thinking as regards the campaign status information.

Under Construction:

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
Let me say one thing. That look insanly fun and cool to play :) i like the form so far, so, for me it's a go. I also like the website you've put together. I think it will get the job done.
Wouldn't  there be a possibility for you to insert a chart that you could update and that would be permanently on the front page. With the info in it being: number total of game played, number of point won by the winning team, number of point acumulated in draw match, number of point for the losing geam, or the average of points won in each of these scenario. I think it would be some fun info to have. You could also had in the number of points just for this weeks game. Then you have a top 3 of the campaign and a top 3 of the past week.

Had in a link to the latest update of the campaign so every one can see there actual position. You should also have a page where the player pseudl are associated with their faction so you can easily see how many are with what chapter/craftworld or whatever it might be.

What do you think of all this. I Know it's hard to pull of but well i think it would be cool.

Keep us updated on how you are doing i'm going to try to make my fried join in this forum that wojld make for some extra player.

Ah! One more question. I don't think you should but are you going for a prie pool?
I ddon't  think you should because it would mean people cheating in the result they send to get the extra point needed to win the prize.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
This does sound fun but I would be the only one from my gaming group in it. Do the opponents need to be in this or just report whether won, drew or lost? If this is the case, you can count me in.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 02:55:55 AM »
Well dread that's one of those hard to debat question. I think remorting should be enough but i don't know. There is good point and bad point. The last decision goes to Eadarti.

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 10:38:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for the great ideas.

Chart insertion: I have to look into it. Tracking and calculations with a spreadsheet could also help reduce numerical errors. The additional stats you mentioned and player stats would be well worth including as well.

I want to launch this at the right time: with the stat tracking system in place, an adequate general sense of things to be interesting but not overly complex. That is where I am at with things.

I hadn't considered a prize pool, but I have considered some kind of campaign certificate available online: an original design or piece of artwork that could be printed by participants.

I think one player reporting a battle result is sufficient. I would though prior to a battle ask an opponent if he or she wishes the result to be reported in the campaign.

I'm not concerned of any falsifications being sent in. I believe participants will be accurate.

I also think it ought be allowed that a player can play more than one faction: the reason being that players will in any case do their best trying to win.

I'll give the website additional thought. If I can get it to work they I need it to, it might be the best way to post results.

Under Construction:

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 03:34:31 AM »
hey there nice to see you here again  was wondering if the campaign was going to get down in oblivion. sweet to see it isn't the case.

I was thinking while i was reading again everything, do you intend to get a limitation of the type of game played. I mean to you intend to lock a scenario for everygame or do we let this to the player? is it going to be something like only maelström mission for example or absolute no restrction.

Do not rush the launch. Everything need to be thought clear and nice before getting it started or problem will rize and we will be totally unable to solve them. That might be fun to ask people to give photo of the campaign in there mail. This way we would have a pictures section where we could post everything for the beauty of the showcase.

My local shop said if we wanted to have a poster in the shop to invite people to join in we can. We just need to have a poster ready ><

I like the diplome idea so we need to dig this way i think.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:41:58 AM by Grizzlykin »