News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Point Army list  (Read 816 times)

Offline 1Waimaz1

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1500 Point Army list
« on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi, um im very new to Warhammer and the Tau so this list was pretty much a stab in the dark and from the little bit iv read, i guess a little different. So am am not afraid of constructive criticism and not phased if I tear it up at the end haha.

HQ

Commander Farsight
Bodyguard xv8 w/burst cannon+flamer+multitracker+stimulant injector
200 pts

Heavy Support

Broadside w/targetlock+multitracker
Broadside w/multitracker

Broadside w/multitracker

2xSniper Drones

350 pts

Troops

4xFirewarriors (12) 2 of the teams having a team leader with a markerlight

2x Gun drones (5)

640 pts

Elites

xv8 shas'vre w/flamer+cyclic ion blaster+multi-tracker+target lock
xv8 w/burst cannon+fusion blaster+multi-tracker

xv8 shas'vre w/burst cannon+airbursting fragmentation+multitracker
xv8 w/burst cannon+fusion blaster+ target lock

xv8 w/flamer+burst cannon+multitracker
xv8 w/burst cannon+fusion blaster+target lock

205pts

Was kinda thinking that this is a static army. I have no experience so am thinking that there is too much anti-armour. The elites were there more in terms of protecting the main force and assualting an enemy that has closed in on the fire warriors. Wanted to do something a bit different but my lack of knowledge when dealing with the various other armies means I could just get smoked haha. oh and i think the points are all sweet but again im new haha.

So yer, go for gold and rip into it. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:59:53 PM by 1Waimaz1 »

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: 1500 Point Army list
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »
Bodyguard xv8 w/burst cannon+flamer+multitracker+stimulant injector
200 pts

Council of doom doesn’t really work that well, they’ll have too much of a hard time trying to make effective JSJ, which was nerfed with true LoS, and all the useless Shas’vre upgrades really add up. Also, that’s a pretty poor matchup of weapons, check the tactica sticky for details. This config forces you to be really close, which ain’t good for survivability for such a big unit. Lastly, stims is a special issue item, only one guy per army can have it.

By the way, this is 310 points.

Broadside w/multitracker

Broadsides are 0-1. Multi-tracker is pretty poor here, not only are these guys meant to hunt tanks, these are your only tank hunters. What good would SMS serve you now? It just pretty much bounces off AV11+.

2x Gun drones (5)

Gun Drones are not troops.

Elites

Check the Crisis Suit sticky. You’ll find better configs there to use, only the AFP guy is well equipped. The others either use flamers as main weapons, lack weapon synergy and/or don’t have multi-trackers when equipped with 2 weapons!

Welcome to the Tau and the forums. :)

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:41:01 PM »
Welcome to the Tau. The path you have chosen is not an easy one, but it is ultimately truly fulfilling ;).
So, to the list... Points are wrong for your HQ, your Heavy Support, your Elites and possibly your Troops depending on wargear selections, all of which are undercosted on this list (I estimate total undercosting somewhere around 250 points. I'd really suggest you look at that again...). Also, O'Shovah restricts the number you can field of some units, at least one of which you included too many times in your list. I'd reccomend you reread that...
I think you should look at the codex again, carefully add up your points costs unit by unit and then rebuild your list. Once you have a slightly better idea of where you're at we can help you improve efficiency and composition. Good luck with O'shovah- it's a really hard place to start with the Tau.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
Hmmm. My advice would be, if you're just starting out with Tau and 40k in general, don't run commander Farsight. Pulling that off requires a good deal of finese, which, no offense, you lack at just starting the game. As for the list though..

First off, gun drones aren't troop choices, they're fast attack. Now, that doesn't really invalidate anything, but it's important to know, as Gun Drones don't count as scoring units.

On the firewarriors, do you mean a Shas'ui? A team leader is a seperate choice, which IIRC isn't avaliable to Firewarrior teams. If you did indeed mean a Team Leader and I'm remembering wrong, then your points are off.

Next...your crisis configs are...well..odd. I understand the flamer & burst cannon on the farsight suit as he's going to be in close and assaulting as it is, however I'de be careful trying to use him as an 'uber' close combat unit, he's just not that good.

Imo the broadsides should replace the multitracker with ASS, and just use the target locks with the Shas'vre's. It makes them more mobile, and lets you use them more effectively. Also... your points are very wrong as to the value of your heavy support, if I'm reading this list right, it should cost 490 points. Each broadside team is 165, and each sniper team is 80.

Also, your crisis suits do not cost 205 points. I didn't bother to add up the weapons, but the suits alone with nothing on them cost 170, no way all those weapons are only 35 points. Try again on that one.

As for the suits themselves...they'll be eaten. Your suits are all anti GEQ, basically, which isn't bad, bt with the weapons load outs you have, they'll be engaged in assault and run down very fast. I'de recommend checking Rudkin's guide on how to Crisis configs are layed out, it lists some popular ones, you'll find inspiration there. And finally.. why all the target locks? I understand wanting to seperate fire, but sacrificing the use of one weapon (not taking a multitracker) seems like a horrible waste.

P.S. Your HQ squad is also underpointed. Along with everything else.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:05:55 AM by Locke »
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline 1Waimaz1

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
Awesome. thanks for all the advice and being straight up, really helps. Catch ya soon

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:39:55 AM »
To toss a few more ideas out there -

1) If you are going to run that may fire warriors (which I actually like, yeah fire warriors), I would go ahead and split the teams a bit - the 48 you are already planning on running will let you fill all your troop slots with 6 teams of 8.  I personally like running teams of 10 (I like overkill) but teams of 8 with the power of their weapons is generally enough to get the job done, and you can always hit a unit with two teams if needed.  But by splitting them up, you get two extra scoring units and the ability to split your fire more effectively and not waste shots.

2) As already pointed out, your crisis suits tend to be very short ranged, which is dangerous.  You do want them getting caught in close combat.  I agree with the others that reading the info on their configuations would be benefitial, but the short version boils down to 4 really populat configurations - a solo suit with twin-linked fusion blasters for deep strike tank hunting; the "Fireknife" suit with a missle pod, a plasma rifle, and a multi-tracker for verstile firepower and TEQ/MEQ hunting; the "Firestorm" suit with a missle pod, burst cannon, and multi-tracker is another versitile option, roughly equal hunting MEQs to the "Fireknife" but weaker against TEQs and stronger against horde/GEQs; and the "Deathrain" suit with twin-linked missle pods for dedicated vehicle hunting.  All of them are solid choices depending on the situation.  Most other configurations CAN be useful and powerful, but require more finess and experience and probably aren't ideal choices until you have a good feel for your army.

3) The main weakness I see in your list is lack of anti-TEQ and medium vehicle firepower (for refence in case you haven't seen the terms, GEQ is Imperial guard equivelent - light armor basicly, while MEQ is marines - 3+ armor saves, and TEQ is terminators - 2+ armor saves.  Light vehicle armor is 10/11, medium 12/13, heavy 14)  MEQs can be mathhammered - basicly just hit them with loads of shots.  And sniper drones are good at MEQ hunting.  Your army has quite a bit of overall firepower, so is in good position there.  GEQ/horde basicly just boils down to as many shots as possible, so once again, you're ok.  Light vehicles can be hunted by literally any unit in the Tau army, so that's covered, and broadsides are probably the best heavy vehicle hunter in the entire game. 

But mathhammering TEQs is a rough road, and your only AP1 or AP2 weapons are your fusion blasters, which are dangerously short ranged, and your broadsides, which should have better targets for their shots.  I would toss at least a few plasma rifles into the list somewhere - you won't run into TEQs every game, but if you want a good all around list, you need to be ready for them when they do show up.  And medium vehicles kinda fall into a void - sure, you can take 'em out with your broadsides, but it always feels like a waste to me when I hit a 12 armor vehicle with a 10S shot - missle pods slot into this nitch nicely and are prefect for hunting this type of vehicle.

4) Gun drones - deep striking gun drones are a fun unit and can cause a lot of havoc running around in the enemy's rear area.  But they are more expensive on a per shot basis then a team of stealth suits, which slot into pretty much the same nitch in the Tau army.  Depending on how you shift things around with your XV8s, I would try and squeeze an elite slot for a 5 or 6 suit stealth team and drop one of the drone teams.