News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting tau skin  (Read 5798 times)

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
Painting tau skin
« on: April 7, 2007, 03:18:28 AM »
you guys probably get asked this alot but i couldnt find anything in search. What colour is tau skin and how is ti painted? The friend i bought my few tau modles off painted it catachan green. It looked ok but dont think thats the 'accepted' colour.

Im thinking blue-ish. Im more concerened about how to paint the skin instead of the colour. So any help regarding the topic?
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline Invisible Elephant

• peanuts! *glee* OMNOMNOMNOM
    • DeviantART
Re: Painting tau skin
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2007, 03:22:39 AM »
the actual colours are shadow(?) grey and space wolves Grey, or atleast i'm pretty sure. i'm not sure exactly what you mean by how to paint it?
TRUMPET!!!

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2007, 04:22:44 AM »
What colour is tau skin and how is ti painted? The friend i bought my few tau modles off painted it catachan green. It looked ok but dont think thats the 'accepted' colour.

Tau skin and blood is blue, well cyan to be picky.

« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2007, 04:56:36 AM »
So blue then. As for how to paint it, would it just be like 'normal' human skin? so no tricks or anything? Shadow then space wolves?
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

• DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »
i'm not tau, but i think the skin is kind of leathery or streaky when you paint it, although that might have just been for the special character. otherwise i'd think that human skin would be fine.
by the way, its mainly space wolves grey
TRUMPET!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 7, 2007, 07:30:03 AM »
Ok thanks.. so thats two more paints im going to have to dish out... Hrm. 40 paints and you'd think you would have atleast one of those two colours :-\ (I do have 6 pots of the same colour though, for different purposes)

• DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 7, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »
i'm sure you could do it your self with regal blue and fortress/codex grey?
just mix the two until you get a colour you like
seeing as it is skin it won't really matter if you get different tones for different models
TRUMPET!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 7, 2007, 08:46:59 AM »
Yeah i s'pose. Im thinking a more grey tone to blue tone, fortress rey with a touch of icey blue, i'll see how that turns out.

[Edit: Just tested it out with apporx. 1:6 icey blue to fortress grey. Looks ok and allows an easy mixute to get similer results every time.]
« Last Edit: April 7, 2007, 08:51:50 AM by .:Darkness:. »

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #8 on: April 8, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »
My helmetless tau all use different combinations of blue and grey. I figured a race that develops as fast as the Tau would have at least as many variations in skin tone as humans.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline dark reign

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:14 AM »
I had the same trouble with painting my helmetless tau firewarriors i tried codex grey mixed with regal blue and it turned out a bit to dark. I also tried toning down the grey but it still turned out looking like a guy who stuck his head in vat of paint, if anybody finds a scheme that works please post it.
It is said a picture says 1000 words i say 1 bullet stops them

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 03:17:11 PM »
i think its a great idea to use a range of blue-grey shades for different models to represent different skin tones.

personally i prefer to stick closer to the greyer end of the scale, with a bluer tinge for the shadows. i start with a shadow grey base, and work in codex grey.

but its a personal preference. (these pics are VERY poor, but you get the idea... hopefully)

Offline dark reign

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Thanks for that idea oink, i might try that sticking to the more grey end of the scale idea on one of my helmetless models and see what the results are hopefully there a lot better than my last attempt, in your pics it seemed to work well so ill try it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:23:40 AM by dark reign »
It is said a picture says 1000 words i say 1 bullet stops them