News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Armylist with new Dex/Help with HQ  (Read 302 times)

Offline CobraCommander

Armylist with new Dex/Help with HQ
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:37:43 PM »
Alright, a while ago, I posted about some help, and most of the feedback basically suggested I just get the new dex. I've finally managed to do that, and I was a little Elitist towards the Older one, already set in my mind was the fact that the older dex, was better, and it seemed the new one just made a few things more expensive, and a few things out.

Now, I know there were a lot of advantages that came from the new one. cheaper units all around come to mind. but a few things made me twitch. The overall layout of the book, I didn't much like, putting all the stats and things basically in the back of the book I didn't much like, and the part where it basically explained every unit I thought it could have done without, basically repeating what was in the back. Now I haven't taken much of a look, just enough to update my list. Which I present to you now. I'll give a bit of commentary afterwards.

Elite

Terminators x5 - Champ, reaper autocannon - 185

Troops

CSM x8 - Asp. Champ, powerfist, flamer - 165

CSM x8 - Plasma gun, Asp. Champ, combi bolter, rhino w/ extra armor - 200

Fast Attack

Chaos Bikers x6 - melta x2, MoK - 248

Heavy Support

Predator - extra armor, TL lascannon, heavy bolters - 150

Defiler - CC arm - 150

Total = 1098

Now, at this point I have no idea what I'd want to use as my HQ. I definitely want to go with a Lord, hands down. Possibly a Sorcerer, cause I would want to put them on a bike, or some kind of Steed, which was really the real reason I was having so much trouble deciding on. I was thinking of just giving the lord a bike and a deamon weapon, and watch him just maul through squads, but I was kind of hoping to attach him to the bike squad, and with that many attacks, it would just be a whole lot of overkill.

So I thought maybe lightning claws... I'm not sure. Any good suggestions? Also, I was thinking of giving him the mark and steed of nurgle. I get the +1 A and T I would from a bike, and an extra wound to boot. Some help on this dilemma would be nice. I want my Lord/Sorc to be a good supporting unit, but with the new codex, I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that.

Thanks
COOOOBBBBRRRRAAAAA!!!!!
W/L/D for 5th Edition
Splinter Fleet Aquaticus: 0/0/2 - 2.5k total pts
Iron Warriors: 7/1/2 - 4k total pts
W/L/D for 8th Edition
Beastmen: 0/5/2 - 3k total pts

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Armylist with new Dex/Help with HQ
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:20 PM »
Also, I was thinking of giving him the mark and steed of nurgle. I get the +1 A and T I would from a bike, and an extra wound to boot.

?

Ok, MoN gives you +1 T, which then you get Steed of Nurgle you get +1 W and +1 A, but you are stuck at infantry pace.

So, like you said, you want a bike, but that doesn't get you the extra A and W from the steed, they are mutually exclusive items.

I won't touch the list, but a lord on bike is a start.  DW or LC's are both decent.

My 2 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
Re: Armylist with new Dex/Help with HQ
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »
You might also consider a lord with MoS, steed of slaanesh, and daemon weapon.  +1A, +1I, the ability to fleet and charge 12" (Daemonic Speed!), and a weapon that causes instant death on a wound (oh, and +D6 attacks too).  Sorcerer on steed might be useful too, though you wouldn't fleet as much due to casing spells.

Consider bumping the troops squads up to 10 models each, so that they can have two special weapons, and a champion with a powerfist each.  It really makes a difference.  The rhinos are good for them, though if you kept with only one I'd give the Rhino squad the flamer.  That way they can get close and still use it, while the plasma gun can hit from range.

I'd also consider a powerfist or chainfist for the terminators, just in case something big comes their way.  You don't have too much anti-tank in the army, unfortunately, so that could hurt.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0