News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lost and the Damned 1500  (Read 352 times)

Offline BFTrick

Lost and the Damned 1500
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:41:26 AM »
Arch Heretic (chaos lieutenant)       131
Mark of nurgle
d speed
d strength
manreaper
infiltrate
spiky bitz

Chaos Lord          190
mark of nurgle
d aura
d essence
d flight
d mutation
d stature
d strength
spiky bits
great weapon
  master crafted
CCW
frag grenades

10 Plague Bearers           160

10 gibbering hordes (nurglings)             100

10 nurglings                  100

Total 1401 pts.

Room for a few more plague bearers, 10 chaos hounds, or 5 chaos spawn.  I could put a defiler but it in no way fits with the theme (maybe a daemonic infested defiler?)

40% troops
21% HQ
32% elites
7% left over

I only have 3 scoring units in the entire army which is ludacris.  So i will have to rely on utterly destroying my opponents army to win missions.

I like the list, a daemon horde, reminds me of a zergling army in starcraft.  180 worthless wounds running around with a few elites and a few but utterly powerful beasties to lead the horde.

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Lost and the Damned 1500
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:05:57 AM »
heh, thats funny.

Um, one thing that struck me though.  How exactly do you plan to summon those plaugebearers?  Who has the icon? the lords?

Anyway, from a fluff perspective I think it's a really cool, themed list that just brings out the demonic, which is awesome.  But... from a gaming perspective looking at relative list strength, it has a lot of problems.

Like you said, the plaguebearers are your only scoring units.  That is not good, not good at all.    Your opponent just needs to kill 6 plaguebearers in each squad and you're toast.  Not hard considering their save isnt the best (even if they are tough..), and they are subject to Demonic Instability every time you would make a ld check.

You have *no* shooting power at all.  Like... none.   Like... I dont even see a single model with a gun anywhere in that list. 

With the exception of the two HQs all of your units can only move 6" a turn, making your army terribly slow and relatively easy to avoid and shoot to death.

you can bet your balls to a barn door that every enemy missile, lascannon, starcannon, railgun, or other big nasty weapon is going to target the Statured Demon Prince immidiately, which will rob you of almost 200 points right quick, and one of your very precious demon icons, assuming thats where you have them.

Although nurglings are great at staying alive, soaking fire, and tying things up forever, they aren't especally wonderful at killing things,  neither are plaugebearers.  Don't get me wrong, they're okay... but they're not monsters.  Your HQs are your power, the first as I already said, is going to be shot to bits, and the second although configured for massive damage, wont last very long with a 3+ save and no invulnerable, and only 2 wounds.  (another problem, as you'll be lucky if your icons survive to summon all 3 squads of plaguebears to the table which are, again, your only scoring units).

You have nothing to deal with tanks, except the statured lord which, again, will get shot to bits.  If a person takes even a few tanks he can just ram them in your face, tank shock your ass, and make you take D. instability tests every single movement phase, pivot on the spot, and blast you with whatever weaponry he's got on the vehicle, and be super safe and ready to pull the same manouver next turn.  A dreadnaught in close combat is just going to eat those nurglings for breakfast and ruin them with instability.

So, in short:  a very cool, very themed army, but strategically unplayable.  Sorry.

-invidious
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline BFTrick

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:33:31 AM »
since the nurglings arnt nurglings (they are gibbering hordes), maybe it would be better to switch gods?  Khornes Daemons are a steal for points, they can actually inflict some damage.  Also slaanesh daemons, im not a big fan of rending but it would provide some anti-tank and some hitting power.

Chaos Spawn seem resilient for their points, and they have some offensive power.  Adding then seems like a good idea right now.

100 pts of spawn inflict 1.94 wounds on MEQs
100 pts of nurglings inflict 1.66 wounds.

Of course the lings take a lot more wounds and will be forced to make a ton of LD checks.  Spawn are scoring.

Please more feedback before i totally revamp the list.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #3 on: August 1, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »
You have to buy characters personal icons.

Spawn are probably the better bet.

Frankly, I'd go with two infiltrating characters rather than stature - better odds of putting them out of line of sight...

This is a rather extreme daemon bomb. Get *something* other than the character....
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685