News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New to Guard, 1500pt (Mostly) Foot List  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Karl Hungus

New to Guard, 1500pt (Mostly) Foot List
« on: March 5, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
So I've decided to start a Nurgle-themed Chaos Renegades conversion-heavy project army using the IG codex.  I decided to go with infantry blobs supported by heavy weapons squads and LR's and forego any chimera/valk/vendetta vet spam.  I'm not savvy on guard tactics and haven't even played against them before (believe it or not my local meta is low on IG players), so any advice, tactics and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  So without further ado, here's my list:

HQ - 135

CCS - Power fist, lascannon, camo cloaks, 2 bodyguards [135]

Troops [890]

1st Platoon [445]

PCS - power fist, lascannon, gl [55]

Infantry Squad - commisar, 2 power fists, meltagun, krak grenades [130]
Infantry Squad - power fist, meltagun, krak grenades [80]

Heavy Weapon Squad - 3 lascannons [105]
Heavy Weapon Squad - 3 Autocannons [75]

2nd Platoon - same as 1st [445]

Heavy Support [450]

3 x LRBT [450]

Grand Total: 1475
9 Lascannons
6 Autocannons
3 Battlecannons
9 Power Fists
8 Scoring units

So I figured the CCS & PCS's will deploy with the HWS's, issuing orders and camping objectives on my side of the board.  The 20-man power blobs will mop up after the Heavy Weapons & LR's to claim objectives or (if need be) tarpit MC's, TH/SS termies, etc.  I went with power fists because they're badass and with I3 Guardsmen meq's will hit first anyways.  I know many people dislike heavy weapons squads, but I think they're cool and I don't play tourneys (yet) anyhow.  They're also fun to model and give the army a WW2 feel IMHO.

Other than that I'm unsure of what to do with the remaining few points; should I make room for some upgrades on the tanks?  Should I have another 20-man infantry blob or supersize them to 30 instead of 20-man squads? 

Thanks for reading, C&C Please!

Offline LOUDERMAN

• Battlecannons can solve a great many problems.
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Iron Warriors, and Tau
Re: New to Guard, 1500pt (Mostly) Foot List
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Platoons are great for laying out low str-ap shots on a huge scale, but Vets are gonna deal with the tanks and MC's most of the time. I'd shoot for a 40-50 man blob with a commissar or two, all your heavy weapons, and then sprinkle in 2-3 veteran squads for dealing with the tough stuff. A 50 man blob under the FRFSRF order is a sight to see, and the best use of that particular order imo.

Also if you go with one giant platoon, try to squeeze in a Lord Commissar. His Camo cloak is HUGE, and after joining a giant IS blob, they all get stealth IIRC.

As for Leman Russ tank upgrades, I see many people swear by PC sponsons, but I'm not sold on them myself. I prefer cheap and cheerful (stock), tri-bolter, or a simple hull LC if you need it (you probably don't with 2 LC HW teams).
"I prefer to let my tanks do the talking. Unfortunately they don't have loud speakers so they tend to start a conversation with battlecannon rounds...."

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
First, the GL and Lascannon don't mix that well in the PCS, so I'd drop the GL.

Second, Infantry Squads can't take Powerfists, only the PCS can.

Third, If you're going to run across the board with your Infantry, you'll want at least a couple of those Leman Russes advancing to provide cover saves to your infantry, so you might consider taking a Demolisher instead, or two of them. If so, I strongly recommend a Lascannon on the hull, no sponsons. I'd also want to bulk them out to 30 strong units.

Last, here's a link to an article I wrote on playing Nurgle-y IG. :)  --> http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=218808.0

Good luck!

Offline Karl Hungus

« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
D'oh, Power WEAPONS on the inf squads, bit of a freudian slip there I guess. 

@GreatBigTree: Awesome article, I actually considered ogryns but decided against it due to high cost (points and $$$).  I'll definitely retool my list to make room for medi-packs, and a nurgling-to-ratling conversion project is too tempting to pass up.  I was going with a mutant rabble angle over plague zombies, hence no conscripts in the foot-heavy list.  I'm converting (basically swapping shields for guns, gas masks, etc) some Nurgle-y WHFB mini's and I have a perfect counts-as Yarrick.  Thanks for the link & advice...