News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Favourite Characters...... (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Favourite Characters...... (Possible Spoilers)
« on: September 5, 2017, 03:59:49 AM »
Ok, so a bit of a topic for discussion.....
From a completely fluff perspective (Ignoring models & how they perform on the tabletop) who are your favourite characters in the 40k Background?
Personally I think my favourites are:

Garviel Loken
Without a doubt Loken is a big part of why I really got into the Horus Heresy novels, the first 3 books are so well written and Garvi is the standout character for me. Obviously people always generally gravitate towards the "Good guys" but Loken's character has so much depth to it and it's been written so you really build up a bond with him as you are reading through the fluff. I've never rooted for a character so much than I did for Garvi on Istvaan!

Lucius The Eternal
Whilst a "bad guy" I think that Lucius is again a very well written character through the heresy books. His previous fluff hasn't really shown him in such a great light but through the Horus Heresy books and the more recent fluff (I am just reading Lucius the faultless blade) you can see more of the depth of the character and his origins. He is really quite a dislikeable character as he is arrogant, egotistical and seemingly without much honour but there is something about a guy who wants to prove himself by seeking out the best of the best to fight against. The idea of the armour of shrieking souls quite appeals to me and the recent piece of fluff in the new codex about the Necron Lord that Lucius seeks out is quite funny!

I am sure that I have probably missed some but I'd be really curious to hear your favourite fluff characters (30k and 40K, all races)

+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Favourite Characters...... (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
Ahriman without any doubt is my favourite named character.  His search for hidden knowledge appeals to me and the way in which he tries to manipulate events to his advantage behind the scenes, rather than necessarily taking direct action has always made for interesting story lines involving him and the Thousand Sons.  There's always plenty of scope for writing more background for Ahriman as well, since there are so many plots and schemes that he could devise or become a part of. 
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2017, 07:55:48 AM »
My favorite is the Lion. His portrayal in Savage Weapons by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is spot on for how I imagine him. Proud, surly, secretive... but does what he think is just and right regardless of how anyone (including history itself) remembers him. He really reminds me a lot of Robert E. Howards Conan the Barbarian overlayed with shades of Solomon Kane.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
Surprisingly, my favourite written character comes from Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels; and it is Luther.

He is written as a guy that you can really feel for, and he is written in a way that you can feel the charisma from him.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2017, 04:24:51 AM »
Haha 3 replies in and we already have a rivalry!
Interesting that you guys say The Lion and Luther as I read in a lot of places that people think that Fallen Angels and Descent of Angels are so of the weaker books in the series. I've always quite liked the fluff behind the Dark Angels and despite the jokes about them being Chaos I like that 'Grey area' that they sit in and I think that both The Lion and Luther show that really well.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »
Haha 3 replies in and we already have a rivalry!
Interesting that you guys say The Lion and Luther as I read in a lot of places that people think that Fallen Angels and Descent of Angels are so of the weaker books in the series. I've always quite liked the fluff behind the Dark Angels and despite the jokes about them being Chaos I like that 'Grey area' that they sit in and I think that both The Lion and Luther show that really well.
Oh, I don't disagree on that factor.  Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels are not great books.  My view, however, is based on the fact that the story is so lacking.  For instance, with Descent of Angels, it would have been a good book if it wasn't so jarring in the jump from pre-Imperial to "Hey, we're space marines now!"

The author(s?) did a great job on writing the personalities for the Lion and Luther.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Bonestomper

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
I really like Col. Straken of the Catachans...

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
Do you have a particular reason?  I think that it's interesting to read the reasons for liking a named character.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Bonestomper

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2017, 05:36:53 AM »
Yeah, sorry, I should've said. I've played quite a bit of the card game, Conquest. And he's a boss in that. Plus I read a short story about him that made him come to life for me. It's called Straken: A Hero's Death.

Basically, I see him like Batman: super-tough, but not "cheating" the way Superman (i.e. a Space Marine) does. Oh, and he has a healthy disrespect for authority, which should feel out-of-place in the fascist Imperium, but somehow works.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2017, 05:41:37 AM by Bonestomper »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
Yeak Loken would have to be my favourite marine, you don't often get a chance to spend that much time on a single character, so its hard to match.

Looking forward to more Eldar books though, the pheonix lords are starting to take shape.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
One I hadn't thought of before is Ravenor.  He is the worst "best" psyker in the galaxy.  In all three books, he is a pure bad ass.  I love the character.  I just hate that every single time he comes up against a psyker that he builds up about how he would crush them like a bug, he gets his shrivelled little ass kicked!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Madlens

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
Ahriman without any doubt is my favourite named character.  His search for hidden knowledge appeals to me and the way in which he tries to manipulate events to his advantage behind the scenes, rather than necessarily taking direct action has always made for interesting story lines involving him and the Thowsand Sons.  There's always plenty of scope for writing more background for Ahriman as well, since there are so many plots and schemes that he could devise or become a part of.

My favorite one is Ahriman as well and I'm absolutely agree with other thing you said

torter.org !! Erazahan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:18:37 AM by Madlens »

Offline Erik_Bloodfang

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:08 AM »
One of my favourites is cypher just cause no one knows who he is really and what he wants or is doing but he seems to be able to manipulate whole armies to accomplish his goals as well as walk in and out of just about anywhere. Even the dark angels who you'd think would just kill him on site let him go time and time again. It's interesting how he works behind the scenes.

I also like abadon for similar reasons except that he orcastrates massively wars to accomplish one task of his own agenda it's kinda cool to me.