News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid's Projects  (Read 74048 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Killersquid's Projects : Talons of the Emperor
« Reply #240 on: September 4, 2017, 03:43:44 AM »
Awesome Custodes Killersquid!  The highlights on the gold really help to bring it out.   :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #241 on: September 5, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
Thanks folks. Got the first batch of models done and did their bases as well. Ripped the models off the bases to do them separately. Pretty happy I did that, as the bases turned out really well.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #242 on: September 6, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
WOW! They look awesome KS. Damn... The blades look fantastic and the gold came out sick on the whole mob. The unhelmed guy is my favorite though... really killer work man. This force here would be such an awesome "allied" detachment. Super thematic. Great stuff man keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #243 on: September 6, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
WOW! They look awesome KS. Damn... The blades look fantastic and the gold came out sick on the whole mob. The unhelmed guy is my favorite though... really killer work man. This force here would be such an awesome "allied" detachment. Super thematic. Great stuff man keep it up!

Thanks bud!

I'm not making an allied force though, going to go pure talons (and then allied hq choice to make the army legal).

I have just finished the land raider and a unit of sisters of silence, so I'll post those when I have a chance.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #244 on: September 6, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
very nice, love the blade effects too.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #245 on: September 7, 2017, 03:16:01 AM »
Very nice KS! I think the bases really suit the models, they give a great contrast to the bright armour.
I've got to give you a lot of credit, painting gold is not easy at all and to do a great job with it as the predominant colour is pretty impressive!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #246 on: September 9, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Nice stuff KS! That force looks great.

I love the fact that you've managed a look which isn't too warm - which I always find Gold heavy models to be. As it is, It's nice and cool and the spot colours work really well. The blues in particular are a great choice.

As for the bases - they're perfect for the army. The really contrast well and make the model pop, while also helping cool the models down.

All in all, terrific!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
Yeah these are really nice KS :) the more i see these the more i want to have a crack at them myself...
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

• Ancient
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
Yeah these are really nice KS :) the more i see these the more i want to have a crack at them myself...

Thanks! The kits are gorgeous! Definitely need to follow the directions though, as only certain arms and glaves go together, and it's hard to tell once you clip them off the spruce (nightmare!).

Nice stuff KS! That force looks great.

I love the fact that you've managed a look which isn't too warm - which I always find Gold heavy models to be. As it is, It's nice and cool and the spot colours work really well. The blues in particular are a great choice.

As for the bases - they're perfect for the army. The really contrast well and make the model pop, while also helping cool the models down.

All in all, terrific!

Thanks! I appreciate it! I have my 1500pt force finished (and played a few games with them), I'll post a few photos soon.

Very nice KS! I think the bases really suit the models, they give a great contrast to the bright armour.
I've got to give you a lot of credit, painting gold is not easy at all and to do a great job with it as the predominant colour is pretty impressive!

Thanks! couple of thin layers for basecoat and then careful layers of highlights!

very nice, love the blade effects too.

Thanks! me too, I'm glad I put the extra bit of work into those.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
Well, I'm pretty much done the Talons of the Emperor for now, but I have a second Talons of the Emperor box on the way that my friend is getting for me, in exchange for painting his Age of Sigmar, and Dark Imperium starter boxes.

I have lost one game with the Talons though, which is something I'm not used to.

I have some pictures I took in a few of the games I played.

These were 1500pts, vs the new Astra Millitarium.

He had three tank commanders, 4 heavy weapon squads, and a bunch of deep-striking elysian drop troops.

I ended up effectively tabling him, while winning Maelstrom.

The following pictures was a maelstrom game against Death Guard

Sorcerer, Typhus, Plauge Priest
3x20 pox walkers
x2 blight drones
Hellforged Contemptor
Unit of Plauge Marines
Terminator Lord

This was one of the games where I lost the most, but the pox walkers were easy to chew through, and once they were dead his army crumbled. Typhus is a beast though. He took a custodian squad and a contemptor to kill.

I won the game by charging his sorcerer with the Land Raider, killing him in assault, and capturing the objective lol.

I recently played a game against Skari from the Skaredcast, so that'll show up on his youtube channel in the next few weeks! Second game I played against him with the Talons of the Emperor, and the first time I tabled him.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Great pics KS. Really love how bold these dudes look on the tabletop (nice tables BTW). Glad to hear you've been having success with these guys, cause I hear almost nothing about them on the web. Kudos to you for playing a more challenging army and actually winning with it. Can't wait to see you beat Skari! Definitley caught my attention there bud. Real happy to see an update and all the pictures are fantastic. Do keep us up to date... always interetsted to see what you've been up to. Keep up your winning ways KS, I'm rooting for you bud  8)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
Niiiiice!
The models, the winning, the table all Micky Mouse, Killer. Am always happy to read of a victory over the Death Guard. What's the name of the youtube channel you gamed on? Would enjoy watching that... Be well!   

• Ancient
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »
Great pics KS. Really love how bold these dudes look on the tabletop (nice tables BTW). Glad to hear you've been having success with these guys, cause I hear almost nothing about them on the web. Kudos to you for playing a more challenging army and actually winning with it. Can't wait to see you beat Skari! Definitley caught my attention there bud. Real happy to see an update and all the pictures are fantastic. Do keep us up to date... always interetsted to see what you've been up to. Keep up your winning ways KS, I'm rooting for you bud  8)

Well, the first game I played with the Talons of the Emperor against skari, I beat him, but he didn't film that game. The second game is the one he filmed, and I'm not going to spoil the ending  ;)

It's a fun little army. Hopefully I'll get it to 2k soon enough. The tables are not mine, they are from a store an hour and a half away from me (until recently, the nearest place I could play 40k).

Niiiiice!
The models, the winning, the table all Micky Mouse, Killer. Am always happy to read of a victory over the Death Guard. What's the name of the youtube channel you gamed on? Would enjoy watching that... Be well!   

Hey, thanks! It's called the Skaredcast SkaredCast - YouTube. I've been in a few of his videos, so check 'em out.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #253 on: November 7, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
Well, the first bit of the army is done. Added some skulls to the bases from the new skulls box GW sells (which is really sweet).

I have another talons of the emperor box on order, and then I'll need to figure out my 2000pt list.

Also, the bat rep I'm in has been posted.

8th Edition Warhammer 40k Battle Report - Dark Eldar vs Custodes - 1500pts -

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #254 on: November 7, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »
Looking really nice KS. Some super nice finishing touches, the transfers in particular bring a lot. I'd like to get some of those for my DA, as they touch on some of their pre-heresy iconography like the crossed blades and what not.

Great job in the bat-rep too. You really smashed Skari which is no small feat. But it seemed like you guys were having a great time the whole way.

Any plans on adding some of the FW kits to the mix? I'm a monster fan of all the stuff they've released for them, though I know their are a lot of people who dont like it. I think they look fantastic though and would go a super long way to making this army stand the test of time. Particularly the flyer for some pseudo-Storm Raven action.

Anyway great stuff KS. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #255 on: November 7, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
Lovely models Killersquid!
Keeping metallic's smooth on such large surfaces isn't easy. Not for me anyway. The basing looks Micky Mouse as well.

First time I've watched a Skari vid. Looked like you both had fun. Have always wanted to know, Does the filming bog the game down much? Thanks for sharing, mate. Really enjoyed this posting... Be well!     

• Ancient
« Reply #256 on: November 8, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
Looking really nice KS. Some super nice finishing touches, the transfers in particular bring a lot. I'd like to get some of those for my DA, as they touch on some of their pre-heresy iconography like the crossed blades and what not.

Great job in the bat-rep too. You really smashed Skari which is no small feat. But it seemed like you guys were having a great time the whole way.

Any plans on adding some of the FW kits to the mix? I'm a monster fan of all the stuff they've released for them, though I know their are a lot of people who dont like it. I think they look fantastic though and would go a super long way to making this army stand the test of time. Particularly the flyer for some pseudo-Storm Raven action.

Anyway great stuff KS. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Thanks bud!

I would like to get some of the FW kits, mostly the terminators, or the Dreads, but they only have rules for 30k, so I won't be able to use them  :-\

Lovely models Killersquid!
Keeping metallic's smooth on such large surfaces isn't easy. Not for me anyway. The basing looks Micky Mouse as well.

First time I've watched a Skari vid. Looked like you both had fun. Have always wanted to know, Does the filming bog the game down much? Thanks for sharing, mate. Really enjoyed this posting... Be well!     

Thanks!

Yeah, it does. Adds maybe an extra 30min - and hour to the game. Not a huge deal though, we usually have the time for that.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #257 on: November 8, 2017, 09:29:11 AM »
I would like to get some of the FW kits, mostly the terminators, or the Dreads, but they only have rules for 30k, so I won't be able to use them

Thats really annoying...

I was equally peeved when GW released rules for the Tartaros termies and they didn't have the option for Thunderhammer + Stormshield. I was hoping FW was gonna make a 40k datasheet for them but it didnt happen. Seems like a major missed opportunity.

• Ancient
« Reply #258 on: November 8, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
It does make sense. The Legio Custodes isn't as relevant in 40k as it was in 30k. For the Tartaros termiantors, Storm Shields were not a thing in 30k, so they never had the option. The 40k rules only cover what's in the box, as most datasheets do.

Might try to expand into 30k, as I think it's a much better game than 40k.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Drah

• Suffer Not the Unclean to Live
    • Crossfire Gaming Club
  • Armies: Death Guard, Primaris Marines
« Reply #259 on: November 8, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
It does make sense. The Legio Custodes isn't as relevant in 40k as it was in 30k. For the Tartaros termiantors, Storm Shields were not a thing in 30k, so they never had the option. The 40k rules only cover what's in the box, as most datasheets do.

Might try to expand into 30k, as I think it's a much better game than 40k.

Give it time and am sure FW will come up with some rules for 40k as most models inevitably do, although might be waiting quite a long one for that to happen.

30k was and is still a good game, much better than 7th ed 40k, although less people (myself included) are inclined to play it anymore since the launch of 8th edition