News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trying to start Tau  (Read 540 times)

Offline ignition

Trying to start Tau
« on: June 2, 2007, 12:58:57 PM »
Hey all,

I have a short term opportunity to get a tau megaforce for a very cheap price, and am considering starting a Tau army because of this. I like the Tau; their basic infantry model is the best in the game IMO.

What I was wondering is how many points the megaforce could approximately fill and what other models I would HAVE TO buy (seems like it only needs an HQ, but I don't even have the codex so I dunno fur'sure.)

The megaforce has:

2 crisis suits
3 stealth suits
20 fire warriors
6 gun drones
3 piranhas
1 devilfish APC
1 Hammerhead

Are all of these decent models for play (i.e. there are none that i probably would never use in a fight)?

Thanks peoples.

"If I were an enzyme, I'd be DNA helicase so that I could unzip your genes."

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
Re: Trying to start Tau
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
The megaforce will fit about 750-1k points,IMO.

A XV8 can also be a HQ(with improved stats,check the codex),hence you got 1 HQ 2 Troops right there.You might or might not field the gun drones and pirahnas depending on preferences and playstyle,those aside pretty much everything will be useful in a normal game.

While the megaforce is a good start,you'd still need to buy a lot more stuff though.The most important being Kroot more battlesuits(of all 3 varieties) and more Fire Warriors.After which there's Devilfishes,Hammerheads and Skyrays(only buy Skyray kits,they come with the parts for all 3 vehicles so all you need to do is change the turret and you're good to go).Lol it never ends.Let it not be said that this is a cheap hobby.

And before I forget,welcome to the Greater Good.And get that codex ASAP
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »
Indeed. Buy it. Depending on how cheap it is, I would take the deal even if I didn't play Tau.
It is better to live for the greater good than to die for the emperor.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Remington_Steele

« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
I Would Have To Agree... Go for the deal.. the megaforce in an AWESOME starting point. but soon after you play it you are goin to realize u'll need a couple more xv8 and a couple xv25... but the 2 tanks that come with it are super sweet!

I origonally started with a battle force and now i wish i would have gotten a mega

Steele out*