News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Re:Necrons not part of the Greater Good  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
Re:Necrons not part of the Greater Good
« on: August 9, 2002, 07:17:44 AM »
Wraiths are necrons as well.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Master Chief

• Constant motion is our way in Warfare
Necrons not part of the Greater Good
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2002, 08:51:49 PM »
 >:(

Just got thoroughly caned by the Necrons and have to get sympathy and advice from my tau brothers.  I made a few mistakes which I'll outline before I moan about the necrons and their abilities.

My first mistake was to use the same army I just used to whoop some imperial guard forces earlier in the day, I'd wager that fighting necrons and IG is quite different.

My second mistake was deep striking my stealth team (all 195 points) so that they scattered right off the table edge (11" scatter) ... ouch!

Finally I used a unit of kroot with hounds which was pure folly.  Even though they managed to rush into hth and kill a tomb spider (amazing) I will never again deploy kroot versus the necrons since they are just too puny and those 3+ armour saves mean the necrons won't die.

The good things I did were several, I used mobile tactics with a stationary hinge.  The flanks were hit with a hammerhead/devilfish w fire warriors (right side) and Drone sqn/2 crisis suits (left side) the problem was that the left flank was rolled up by 3 wraiths that took about 30 direct wounds throughout the game but either made their 3+invulnerable savers, or their We'll Be Back rolls.... I really hate wraiths since they are sooooo fast and have two invulnerable saves (counting the WBB)

Otherwise the necron lord veil of darknessed his units round like mad and hit me from all over... the wraiths were the winners in the end however and I managed to kill very little throughout the game as he chewed me up.

ideas on force structures v necrons would be appreciated, and what do you think about wraiths and THOSE SAVES  :'(

take care, I'll try to avenge my defeat soon..
Defenders of Terra - Imperial Fists

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2002, 03:39:56 AM »
Okay, I'm at work and my Necron codex is at home so I could be wrong here...

I though only necrons which have the "Necron" special ability (i.e. Warriors, Immortals, Destroyers) get the WBB roll.  I didn't think Wraiths counted as "Necron"?

If I'm wrong please tell me.
If I'm right then you were right royally screwed...

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2002, 08:21:38 AM »
Cheers for that Tobab816.  Dang memory  ::)

Master Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 9, 2002, 10:24:41 AM »
I have just recently played the necrons and have won by a very close game.  I personally find that both Fire Warriors and Kroot are pretty much useless.  I had 2 squads of Fire Warriors (12) in 2 different buildings very well dug in and I still managed to only kill about 1 Necron Warrior a turn while he managed to kill about 3 a turn.  The problem is not the initial armour save but the WBB rule that kills us.  With our low BS we just can not pour enough shots into the Necrons for it to be truly effective.  Kroot as stated before are just to weak and can not handle a squad of Necrons.  My analsis: Minimise Tau troops and go for Crisis suits, Stealth Suits, and Broadside Battlesuits.  By the way I have found that the Hammerhead is almost useless against the Necrons.  In my game the best unit was the lone Broadside that I took.  He destroyed more Necrons than 2 12 man firewarrior teams did.  Stealth suits can be useful because they are not always seen and a 4 man squad can pour more firepower into a squad than almost any unit.  So it boils down to the more dice your necron foe has to roll the harder it is for him to win.  Oh and don't forget that the Necron Warriors CAN be pinned by pulse carbines.  Good luck!

Offline Bezerker

• Blood for the Blood God!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2002, 08:38:29 PM »
having Necron trouble eh? I'll admit that they are hard and those wraiths are really good. I know as I'm one of those cold hearted lords. Well get some AP 3 stuff to stop them and the Veil of Darkness, honestly your screwed it's like me hoping that GW will decided not to make marines super duper not gonna happen.
The Throne was a mile high. Constructed of ancient brass and bare, bone white skulls. A river of blood twisted around it and followed down a long brass road to meet the throne. The place was lite only from the white hot fire which erupted from time to time, a evil forge. As I approached the top I lo

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 09:28:12 AM »
I have a rather "Vanilla" Tau army that tops out at about 1800 points i Have a little bit of everything even 2 Krootox.

what i really need is a crisis commander, cuz i i have now is an ethereal, i might go all out one day and get a whole new Crisis Team, cuz i need those AP2 weapons to squash Necrons and Marines.

but ive havent played a big necron army yet, just like 1000 point games. it was easy there. i just used all my suits 2 small FW squads, and my Hammerhead with Ion Cannon.
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Master Archon

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 08:24:00 PM »
One thing that actually works good for once is assaulting.  Only assault with your HQ (you probably will lose him but you will take some guys down with you.  Take an HQ like mine (Shas'o w/ Fusion Blaster, Flamer, Multi-tracker, Shield Generator, 2 Shas'vre w/ twin-linked Plasma Rifles, Flamers, Multi-trackers.)  This is a devastating combo which gives you a Fusion Blaster Shot, 2 twin-linked Plasma Rifles, and 3 Flamers BEFORE you even charge.  This is a combo that can decimate a squad of warriors before it even gets into combat.