News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Iyanden (yes, I know, boring) 1k and 2k points list - LOTS of help needed!  (Read 2222 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
So, for those of you who followed my Iyanden painting blog ages ago on the blog page, you'll know my army a bit. I had quite a bit of success with them in 7th, sometimes even so badly that I was afraid to take them to the field in friendly games because of all the D-weapons.

However, a new edition has come, with new rules, new points costs and thus a new Iyanden army. Luckily, I had magnetized just about everything as I built the army, specifically for the inevitable change of editions. Now that it is here, however, I have discovered a downside to this tactic.

There is so much choice I hardly know where to begin.

I mean, for my two wave serpents, I have a choice of nose weapon, and a choice between 5 different turret weapons! The same goes for my wraithlords, who can also chose between having a neat looking sword or not. The wraithknight doesn't fare much better. Even the guardians have a choice between 5 different weapons on their heavy weapon platform. How is a poor girl like me (with comically stereotypical math skills) ever going to make anything out of this.

Well, ask help from the best eldar forum in town of course!

So. What I have is the following:

-Iyanna arienal. I could field her as a farseer, a spiritseer, or even as a counts-as Yvraine with the amount of research she had already done towards Ynnead even before it was cool.

-a spiritseer.

-An autarch with banshee mask, power sword and shuriken pistol

-One warlock with singing spear

-Two groups of 10 guardian Defenders with heavy weapon platform (all options available).

-Two groups of 5 wraithguard (with both options available)

-one group of 5 wraithblades (with both options available)

-two wave serpents - these used to be the rides for my wraithguard and I expect them to be so again. (all options available)

-Two wraithlords. Flamer/shurikens interchangeable, 2 heavy weapons optionable, and a ghostglaive optionable.

-Wraithknight. All options available.

I haven't quite finished, but have the materials for:

A warlock or farseer skyrunner.

12 striking scorpions, of which 2 exarch, one with the scorpion claw and one with a biting blade

10 dire avengers.

So now, oh wise an all knowing gestalt wisdom of the internet as may find its way here on the forum, what is your advice to me? I'd love to build both a 1000 pts and a 2000 pts army, though 2k one has priority as I have plenty of other armies that can fill the 1000 pts slot, and not that many that can make it up to 2k.

I'd like to hear your suggestions, from a whole thought out list to just general suggestions or ideas I should keep in mind.

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
There's nothing boring about Iyanden!

I'd tell you like this.

Eldar are most likely going to get a new codex for 8th edition, which ought to be controlling for gameplay for at least a year or two, in the next month or so.

Right before a new codex drops, gameplay wise, is not the best time to make big decisions about which weapons choices or units to take.

It's a good time to focus on painting units and maybe magnetizing the weapon choices on new units, if you can handle the extra hobby work.

What is strong or good now may not be strong or good a month from now.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
As stated above, everything is about to change sometime around November as our codex is next to drop.

However I can make a few points for your games between now and then.

As far as defender guardians and wave serpent are concerned the best weapon options are shuriken cannons. Given how moving and firing heavy weapons goes at the moment, you'll get the most use out of their assault type than the others. A conceal warlock (if you can get the spell to actually go off) does wonders for a few units nearby. Serpents should always get spirit stones (you roll for each wound!) and vectored engines of you plan to advance with them often.

Wraithguard - Scythes are still good, but not as good as they were. Still great for doing all around damage. Their cannons are still great

Wraithblades - currently axe and shield variants are quite pricey. A unit of 5 with ghost swords and a spirit seer to give then rerolls is actually a quite good assault unit.

Wraithlords I've found lack luster due to the negatives of moving and firing heavy weapons (where I used to put my AT)

I haven't used my wraithknight yet this edition as they are quite costly in points and generally haven't been too effective in my LGS.

Offline Dageran

• Armies: Eldar Wraiths
More ghost warriors! Hurray!

Through the end of 7th / into 8th, I've also been building a Wraith-host themed army, and I've been trying out permutations for awhile now.

I think Partninja hit on most of the big ones in his post, but for what it's worth in my experience so far, if you're interested in playing before our Codex drops:

• Overall, a Wraith Host's biggest weakness is hordes, as we've got no good, fluffy way of delivering a high volume of shots. I've actually just added a squad of Guardians in a Wave serpent to my list because it's the only thing that gives me a fighting chance against nids / conscripts.
  • The most competitive lists right now seem to be 3x Wave Serpents and 3x D-scythes backed by Yvraine and Hemlock Wraithfighters.
  • If you're like me, and more interested in footslogging Wraiths than spamming transports, I'd highly recommend a warlock (or spiritseer in a pinch) to act as a conceal bot. It's very easy to keep 2-3 squads of Wraithguard protected using a single warlock, and footslogging D-scythes are surprisingly speedy since they can move 5+d6 each turn without penalty.
  • Wraithknights: Even with Fortune, no version of a Wraithknight will make its points back (or even come close). I've stopped taking the Knight and subbed in the Yncarne instead. The knight is deceptively squishy with the way that AP works in 8th, making it a pretty big handicap to add to a list.
  • Wraithlords: I still run two of these, though I understand they aren't super competitive at the moment. They're decent as back-line defense, and I typically run mine with two Bright lances each. You could also run them bare-bones in front of your wraith-line if you're facing a lot of armies with smite spam, as they're great at absorbing smite damage for your Wraithguard (which are very weak to smite).
  • Dire Avengers: Folks are currently suspecting there's an error in the index that's making them double-pay for their guns, so these guys are absurdly expensive for what they do right now.
    Don't take them. I'd recommend just using them as counts-as guardians or kabalites for now if you need more infantry power to back up your wraiths.

Overall you've got the bones of a really good list! Definitely wait for our Codex to invest in any more big projects / purchases, but with what you've got built now I think you'd be able to have fun in a pick-up game easily.

(PS: For fun, I would recommend swapping whether or not you use your Wave Serpents for Wraithguard or Guardians. Conceal should be an auto-take on your Warlock to protect whoever doesn't get the ride.)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Hey there Vonny. For me, I'd run 2x Wraithguard both with D-Scythes in Serpents with Eldar Missile Launchers. I'd run both units of Guardians at maximum numbers with Eldar Missile Launchers as well. I'd throw Yvraine in a Serpent with some of the Wraithguard. Then Wraithknight with Wraithcannons (and be prepared to run him up the board to get into combat to smash hordes). I'd then run both the Wraithlords with a single Eldar Missile Launcher and perhaps the swords. If you have the points I'd run the Wraithblades with swords and a Warlock supporting with Conceal.

You should have good anti-hordes with all those Eldar Missile Launcher, D-Scythes (+ Yvraine) and the Guardians trailing up to help. Plus the Wraithknight can dive into any major unit of hordes and do some damages with his kicks.

Also should you run into a couple of Imperial Knights, the Cannons on the Wraithknight, the D-Scythes and the Eldar Missile Launchers should have you covered.

I'd definitley look into picking up a Hemlock in the future (I'm probably going to do this as well... though I'll wait till the Codex drops)... Anyway hope that helps Vonny. Good luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
Well, I was toying with list building from your advice.

Why only one missile launcher on the lords, Cav? And why no extra weapons on the knight, since it can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty. Is it too fragile to put even more points in?

So, this is what I got now, what do you guys think?

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Aeldari - Ynnari) ++

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight: Two Heavy Wraithcannons

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Ynnari) ++

+ HQ +

Warlock: 1. Conceal/Reveal, Singing Spear

Yvraine: Gaze of Ynnead, Word of the Phoenix

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders: 10x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Aeldari Missile Launcher

Guardian Defenders: 10x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Aeldari Missile Launcher

+ Elites +

Wraithblades: Ghostswords, 5x Wraithblade

Wraithguard: D-scythe, 5x Wraithguard

Wraithguard: D-scythe, 5x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +

Wraithlord: Aeldari Missile Launcher, Ghostglaive, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Aeldari Missile Launcher

++ Total: [100 PL, 1999pts] ++

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Vonny!
Glad I'm not facing that list. Looks solid. Maybe drop 1 shuriken from the wraithlord, turn 1 unit of D-scythes into wraithcannons? Then convert the Warlock into a Spirit-Seer? Can't sneeze at rerolls of ones to hit... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
well, most of my wraith units are auto-hit anyway, and the shuriken catapults on the lord are free. And I hate that the spiritseer now buffs friendly units within 6", because the wraithknight and wraithlords are bound to be somewhere else on the board than the close range wraithguard and wraithblades. I just don't like the synergy as much.

Offline Saim-Dann

Fair enough, mate!
As you can see, I'm not up on all the rules for wraith constructs. Have 2 W.Lords/10 W.Guard, however, have never fielded them. Will be watching your lads closely to see how they go. Best of luck... Be well! 

Offline papagumdrop

• Even in Death we Fight
  • Armies: Eldar, Tyranids
well, most of my wraith units are auto-hit anyway, and the shuriken catapults on the lord are free. And I hate that the spiritseer now buffs friendly units within 6", because the wraithknight and wraithlords are bound to be somewhere else on the board than the close range wraithguard and wraithblades. I just don't like the synergy as much.

Is that the way it works? The way I read it is that the target has to be within 6" of the spiritseer, but this may be another case of clunky GW writing. I much prefer your reading. Also attacks indicates melee only?

Rule reads as follows: You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for friendly units attacks against enemy units that are within 6" of this model.

Thanks

Offline Bego

• Armies: Eldar
Is that the way it works? The way I read it is that the target has to be within 6" of the spiritseer

I read it exactly like that, making the Spiritseer more a support for close Wraithunits instead of shooting Lords/Knights. The revealed Iyanden Stratagem doesn't indicate a difference (yet). It's just doubling the range and extending the reroll-quality. We'll see if it has been generally changed when the Codex is available.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
Time for me to enter, Ghost Warriors are prolly in their hey-day awesome. Old T6 + Spiritseer buffs, one can't go wrong.

I play Ghost Armies quite a bit. I field them to teach arrogant people their place in the pecking order.

Currently in this new edition without the new codex, our wraiths are a bit fragile. Trust my acceptance of it, since there's a HUGE difference between T6 and the original T. Range didn't matter to a Ghost Army. It will be made up by your opponent's inability to whittle them down. With experience you'll learn to cope and maneuver your wraiths around certain pitfalls of the battlefield, either avoiding tarpit units, crossfires and deathstar units.

Horde units are always a nasty way of taking out wraiths, then again with experience you'll learn how to avoid or handle them with ease or at least a slight difficulty.

Let me get to the point of my statements. There's no bad or good way a fluffy army can be judged as each opponent is different by their armies and experience, but know well that Ghost Armies are still the rare and strongest along as the toughest backbone of the Eldar Armies. Expensive to field due to the points currently assigned. I do love seeing my LGC quiver in fear of my Ghost Army.  ;)

PS:

As an avid Ghost Army player, 5 - 20 wraiths in an army is not a TRUE ghost army. Once you reach, where 10 - 20% of your fielded models are the living then you have a Ghost Army.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:29:27 AM by haunt »
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
@papa you're right, my apologies. I remember now what I found difficult about it - the low range compared to what it used to be makes it hard for a support character to actually get it to work, as they're not really suited for frontline duty themselves and can more easily be picked off when they're there.

@hauntSo I have too many guardians? Well, that fits with my idea - ghost warriors and civilians trying to defend their craftworld to the last breath. Both are kind of a last resort unit, wchich is the state Iyanden is/was in, and the idea I want to go for.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
In all the Iyanden stuff its always Guardians and Wraithguard fighting side by side. I wouldn't change a thing. Plus Iyanden Guardians are the best looking Guardians. Especially Vonny's!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/