News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mechdar (Eldair) 1500p. (final cut)  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Mechdar (Eldair) 1500p. (final cut)
« on: July 7, 2015, 04:42:45 AM »
CAD: (1060)
HQ

95 Autarch
-Banshee mask, Powerweapon, Lasblaster.

TROOPS 449
82 8x Storm Guardians
-2x Flamers.
120 Wave Serpent
-Shuriken cannon.

127 9x Dire Avengers
-Exarch.
120 Wave Serpent
-Shuriken cannon.

ELITE 330
210 5x Wraithguard
-D-Scythes
120 Wave Serpent
-Shuriken cannon.

FAST
185 Hemlock Wraithfighter

FORMATION: Crimson Death 440
-3x Crimson hunter, Exarch.

1499p

The thought with this list is to have redundancy in what role every unit has.
The Autarch can join any of the three units embarked in serpents depending on what opponent he is facing.

Autarch primarily joins the storm guardians helping them avoiding overwatch, and he also helps the flyers to arrive earlier. The reason I took the death spinner over the fusion gun is that he can already throw haywire grenades against tanks.
Back-up: DA Exarch
Storm Guardians are main CC and main anti-horde(AH), with a warlock at worst just giving them better cover, which can be crucial when hiding behind their serpent for a round, before an assault. The Other power than the primaris is just a bonus, and yes he will roll on runes of battle primarily.
CC Back-up: DA, AH Back-up: Scytheguards
Dire Avengers(DA) Are primary anti-infantry (AI), they have a secondary role for CC, as long as the exarch is alive.
Back-up: Wave Serpents
Scytheguards Are main MC hunters (MH), they also have secondary roles of anti-tank (AT) and AH, could also be used for AI, in that order.
Back-up: Hemlock
Wave Serpents will focus on light vehicles(AT), but are also good against infantry (AI).
Back-up: Scytheguard
Hemlock will hunt the same targets as the scytheguard but is much faster, and does not need to worry about being assaulted. It will use telepathy for making a serpent invisible, shrouding to fly over the serpents spreading the 2+ cover when jinking, or simply racking up wounds with psychic shriek. If I do not get the powers I want on the first roll reverting to conceal/reveal + psychic shriek, will always be an option.
Back-up: Scytheguard & CD
Crimson Death are main anti-air (AA), as air to air fighters they should clear the skies. They are not bad at hitting high AV ground targets either.
Back-up: Wave serpents (due to twinlinked and ignore cover)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:02:39 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Mechdar 1500p.
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »
You haven't used any fast attack or heavy slots so that 90 points could go into a vyper or war walker with bright lances to give you some much needed long range high strength shots that could be on the board turn 1. Even just adding two shuriken vypers adds more targets for your opponent to decide for prriority. Right now you only have three targets on the board first turn, the most obvious target the wraithguard. If you get some more harrassing units, especially armed with high strength weapons, you may be able to draw more fire power away from your serpents.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip :D
War walkers and Vypers are often easy kill points and can often provide first blood for the opponent, however 2x vypers in a squadron, would not be that easy to just shoot away, and they can provide mobile cover for the serpents.
However jinking with the serpents is not a big issue and a clever opponent will likely just ignore the vypers.
I will definitely consider taking 2x vypers, while I am also considering dropping the farseer entirely for a Hemlock, but 4 flyers is a bit too much for my taste, it's only supposed to be Mechdar, not Eldair.

I was considering a list like this at first as well, but I thought it had too few things on the table:
Autarch
2x DA or (Storm)Guardians in Serpents 380
3x Hemlocks 555
Crimson Death 440

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
Everyone loves the scythe guard. IMO they're the best pound for pound fighters that we have. I like your idea of dropping the farseer. A hemlock would definitely be  nice a pick up. I think 4 flyers would be really powerful, you're 3 serpents and their cargo won't get board wiped on turn 1 since they should be in cover/ out of LOS, jinking and should have their shields up. Polarize the hull plating! I feel your list with just the troop tax in serpents would be a lot easier to table turn 1. since once the serpents are cracked, the t3 4+/5+ guys inside are totally boned. Especially if you went first and decided to move them up the field turn 1. some other good options would be a unit of 3 dual SL walkers. outflank with them if you need to and chew up some side/ rear armor or an infantry unit if you need to. That will give you a little more redundancy in your force as well which seems to be what you are going for. And at the moment you don't have anything in your back field which can be a disadvantage in maelstrom

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
Re: Mechdar (Eldair) 1500p.
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »
I've edited the first post, and decided to include a hemlock over a farseer.

This meant there will only be 3 serpents on the table turn 1 but hopefully from turn 2 on, one or two of those serpents will be shrouded and/or invisible.

I'm still considering dropping an Avenger to let the Autarch upgrade his chainsword to a powerweapon.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
from my experience, the power weapon over the chain sword is real good...  but that was vs imperial guard so depending on the situation it might be different
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
drop the exarch upgrade on the dire avengers, I would rather have an extra avenger than an exarch. Then drop the lasblaster and the shuriken cannon off the wraithguard's wave serpent (99% of the time you will jink this thing). That gives you 25 pts for a power weapon and a fusion gun for possible instadeath shenanigans and he can decide to split from the unit and go tank hunting with haywire and a melta weapon.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »
Thank you for your comments, I've considered the powersword thoroughly, and decided that it is worth dropping an avenger for, what tilted it in the favor was that I won't be using the chainsword to hit vehicles anyway.

Dropping a shuriken cannon for a fusion gun, is definitely something to consider, and yes the serpent will most likely be jinking all the time, however I would not want the autarch to split of at all since he is too easy to kill for my opponents to gain "slay the warlord".

The DA exarch is too valuable to drop, it's an extra wound and grants unit abilities, on top of his own ++ save. I'd rather drop models than the exarch upgrade.

I could OTOH drop all underslung cannons and cram in 2 more stormies, along with the PW for the Autarch, and still have 10 Avengers. A good idea?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:08:21 AM by Fenris »

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
I disagree still about the DA exarch  over the avenger, the main reason being that when you go to shoot, you don't get to roll as many dice ;). Also anything with s6 or more doesn't care how many wounds the exarch has. he also doesnt have a 3+ save anymore

Speaking of strength 6 dropping all of the underslung cannons seems a bit drastic to me. That's 9 str6 shots you are giving up. I think dropping the one on the wraithguard is definitely a good idea because that serpent should be jinking as soon as someone points a gun at it. Maybe drop one of the others too if you can get a fusion gun on the autarch

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
@Rx8speed: Well the DA exarch got more durable against all weapons except S6+ with exactly AP4, against AP5 or above I can just use LoS to make a normal avenger take the save. And against AP3 and lower the 4++ save can still be taken, comparred to the old armour.
Also 2W with 4+ save still beats 1W with 3+ save, for any weapons below S6, since you will have 75% success rate comparred to 67%.
This is without taking into consideration the bonus rules the DA gets, which are useful if they get assaulted.

Tossing a haywire grenade has roughly the same effect against vehicles as the fusion gun, that's why I don't feel the need for it.