News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Maynarkh Dynasty Rises... (IA12 review)  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
The Maynarkh Dynasty Rises... (IA12 review)
« on: May 7, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
...Well, it's epically pretty - but what did you expect? It's a Forgeworld book.

The army list is kind of cool, though. Essentially an entire Necron Dynasty that's succumb...ing?...ed?  (take your pick, really) to the Flayer Virus. Resulting in a vast army of mechanical nutters.

The two special characters are interesting. Klutakh is the really, really harsh one - a Necron Phaeron capable of going toe-to-toe with just about anyone and kicking their teeth in in a fair(ish) fight, without needing to resort to dirty tricks like mindshackle scarabs.

Most of the list is unchanged (give or take) - warriors are warriors and immortals are immortals (although you get limits on the latter). Lychguard are also steadily going nuts, so are slightly more expensive but marginally tastier in a fight.

The key differences (or additions, I guess, since they're available in the normal book) are the tomb stalker/sentinal, the tesseract arc and the bomber - all of which are cool but not game-changing, as there are existing analogues - but more importantly the addition of flayed one troops (which are extra stabby thanks to their extra upgrade option) and anti-personnel scarabs makes for a more assault-focused list.

The second big change is the addition of the fortification - essentially an entire board tile with an invulnerable save and improved reanimation roll for anyone stood atop it. Park some Gauss Exterminators on the emplacements (essentially giving you 4 icarus lascannon mounts) and laugh like a drain. Docking a monolith is an expensive option, but increased strength monolith weapons gives you impressive protection against anyone trying to storm the fortress...
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Idaho

Re: The Maynarkh Dynasty Rises... (IA12 review)
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2013, 03:17:13 AM »
It's exactly how Flayed Ones should have been used in the main Necron Codex.

Actually I felt they needed a 3pt drop to create a horde feel in the Troops (they die in droves!) or come with Shred standard (they do have those big old claws).

Oh well maybe next edition!

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
Sounds interesting. I've tried doing Flayer style lists with the standard codex but this sounds much more effective and fluffy.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
This sounds really cool. Thanks for the review.

Oh how I would love that book... it is such a killer getting them from Forgeworld to Canada though. It looks gorgeous and I have a massive Necron army that has spanned generations of my gaming career. So I may break down and get this one.... I assume the artwork is fantastic? Lots of Necron content (not just filler?)

Thanks again for the review.

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
Nice one, thanks for the review.

I was in two minds about getting IA12, but I think you 'may' have just given my brain just enough of a nudge to go buy one.