News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2nd Annual SAINT SNIK Ork-mas Comp!  (Read 5266 times)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
2nd Annual SAINT SNIK Ork-mas Comp!
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:04:32 PM »
No Ork has the slightest clue when or where the legend of Saint Snik began, but every Ork begrudgingly agrees after much bickering on how it began... sorta...

It was during a long winter, or was it a wintry planet? No one can be sure, but the Orks were forced to take refugee from the freezing blizzard that had been going on for the best part of a month, curtailing any rationale thought of attack; the few who had tried either frozen to death or died upon reaching the Imperial lines. The Oomie Imperials' were similarly hiding out in their warm dugouts beneath the earth, but unlike the Orks who utterly bored they were already fighting amongst themselves, the Oomies had some pansy, emperor-lovin holiday to raise their spirits and wait the storm out.
It was during one of these lightless days as the guardsman were singing another of their Gork-awful tunes that thankfully no Ork could hear; storm and all that, did a daring kommando that legend would tell you was named Snik, made his way slowly across no-mans land with a handful of very sneaky Grots behind him; all of them dressed in ridiculous head to toe thick dark red furcoats, with heavy bags carried over their shoulders.
The exact details pertaining to the events behind those Oomie lines are often contradictory, and more often than not exceptionally nonsensical, be it one Orks' version saying Snik gave every Oomie within a 10km radius an ear to ear 'smile'; to anothers' that said the Grots were doing all the knife work whilst Snik sat on his arse eating roast aurochus; to the majority favourite, that Snik went 'And to 'And with a hundred Oomies at once, not that Orks can count...
What is well known as fact; or as near as a word of mouth legend comes to fact, that hours after Snik and his Grots had faded into the whiteout of the blizzard, the Imperial lines went up in a display of explosive might.
The multitude of explosions were so numerous and powerful the ground rocked beneath the Orks feet and the seemingly endless storm abated, if only for a few seconds.
When the explosions stopped and silence settled in again, many an Ork waited for Snik to return, but Snik and his Grots were never seen again... Well at least not for a year or so when, like a furry red ghost, he came strolling into another Ork camp, bizzarely on another world. He quickly loaded up with bombs, disappeared towards the enemy, and put on another fiery display for the boyz.

Since those days the exploits of Saint Snik; as he is affectionally know, are spoken of over mugs of fungus beer by highly intoxicated Orks about how he knew an Ork who knew an Ork who had met Saint Snik, or between Yoof and Skarboy with the ever boastful 'I made em some of dem bombs'. Whatever the truth, the legend of Saint Snik and his Grots of Giving grows, year by year, Ork by Ork. If you're very lucky, and the fight has been boring of late, one day you might meet an over dressed Ork in dark red fur, with sack carrying Grots in tow. If you do, sit back, wait a little and watch another legendary explosive spectacle.

Saint Snik's a comin to town!

SAINT SNIKs ORK-MAS COMPETITION

Welcome again to this very orky christmas competition. After last year's storm of interest there is high hope for more, cooler models/dioramas to be entered. Last years thread can be found Here, as can last years winner (aka me) can be found Here.

THE THEME
This entire competition is about theme, to add little (or a lot) of Ork to the silly season we know as Xmas, or as the Orks like to call it Ork-mas. Saint Snik is of course the prefect example of how one Orkifies Xmas. Read on good fellows for some new inspiration!

‘A tale bout Snik you say? Hmm, lemme think bout dat. You eva urd da one bout how Snik got his Slay? No, didn’ think so. Well it wasn’ a night like ta’night….’

The tales of ‘Saint’ Snik were becoming infamous amongst Orks’ the galaxy over. But it’s the tale of how Snik got his Slay that every saddle straddling Speed Freek loves to hear.
It was on a some desert world, way out somewhere, or something like that, where Snik wearing his swarthy fur lined red coat, irrespective of the temperature, was getting up to his usual tricks again, this time with only two faithful (aka survived the longest) Grots of Giving in tow, Dunka & Punka.
They had just made their way, under the cover of a scouring dust storm, to an enemy encampment just behind the main line. He was about to get around to the usual wet work and bomb placement, when Snik’s luck took a foul turn. Not only was did the storm die down suddenly, but he’d unintentionally crept into a Space Marine….

‘Wat u mean Space Marine? I’z urd it was some of the freakee black Eldar boyz’
‘ I urd it was one of dose, Nids ’
‘Nid? Since wen did day hav...’
Da boss reached out and clipped the Yoof round the head; interrupting such a magnificent story is rude.
‘Owww dat urt boss’
‘So it should, now shut up da both of ya, its Space Marines til I say it ain’t’

A Space Marine refuelling base. Under the roughly constructed shed, sat a damaged Rhino, several bikes and three very surprised Space Marines. The Space Marine bikers had been giving the Speed Freeks a run for their teef out on the dunes, and here were three umie ard boys within uncomfortable proximity.
How Snik, Dunka & Punka managed to survive the ensuing violence is of much debate. A boastful Ork will tell you Snik knifed the two weak ones without much fuss before going toe to toe with ‘Da Boss Marine’. The more experience and thick skinned Ork who’d survived a fight with a Space Marine will tell you it took all Snik’s skill to avoid becoming a red stain on the Rhino’s plating; some even reckon the Grots in an act of remarkable courage whipped out some explosives to ‘help da boss from gettin pasted’.
Whatever went down, any decent Ork storyteller can defiantly state with impunity that Snik (and the Grots) survived and downed, perhaps even killed two of the Space Marines before having to make a very quick escape using the closest idling bike in the shed. That it just happened to be a the snazziest bike in the shed probably wasn’t on Snik’s mind when he took it.

‘Yea right boss’
The boss sat there laughing, ‘course he took da snazziest’

With a dust grinding tail spin, Snik shot out of the shed, Punka & Dunka hanging on for dear life to whichever surface wasn’t the hottest. Another roaring bike soon sped out of the shed chasing Snik’s tail. Now Snik was never a Speed Freek till that day, having spent his life trudging and sneaking everywhere, and so his skills with a bike were particularly questionable, however bolt rounds whipping past your head tends to sharpen those skills right up.
Not knowing ‘da need for speed’ was in him, Snik’s latent skills kicked in and he was soon weaving to avoid incoming fire from the Space Marine, as well as dodging the odd solid structure he came upon at ridiculously high speed.
Throught the encampment and over the front line, the quickly rousing Imperial camp was soon in Snik’s dust trail; the ruckus having woke them. With a quick glance behind him, Snik saw that the Space Marine hadn’t given up the chase. Realizing his pyrotechnic display was ruined, Snik decided to give the Boyz a different show all together. Snik kept the throttle down hard, much to the equally mixed horror/delight of the crap stained breaches of Punka & Dunka. He drew the Space Marine closer and closer to the Ork lines, till they were right before him. Snik spun the bike 180 degrees and gunned the throttle, throwing up an impressive wall of sand, whilst pressing down on the ‘fire’ button… which was met with a mighty click, and little else.
The Space Marine on the other hand was still firing his guns, racing towards Snik, and drawing a sword from a scabbard all at the same time. The noise roused the boys nearby and they began to watch the show. Snik braked left and begun a bike duel with the Space Marine that lasted an entire hour. Swerving, circling, taking pot-shots, high-speed melee clashes, and the odd Grot lobbed bomb. By this time Orks had streamed out of whatever hole they’d been sheltering under to watch the spectacle and in good old Ork fashion, bet on whichever combatant they wanted to see mangled.
Unfortunately for the Space Marine, it was his turn to have a bad day. Racing towards each other as if in a joust, the Space Marines bike guns having run out of ammo a long time ago, the two prepared to clash once again, their melee weapon drawn and ready to strike. Just as they came within striking distance, Snik being the underhanded sneak he is, let go of the handle bar, and shot the Space Marine in the face whilst swinging with his choppa.
Needless to say the Space Marine missed his counter attack and ended up with Snik’s blade embedded in his neck. The resultant crash of the Space Marine into a pile of rocks, and the subsequent fireball, brought forth riotous jubilation from the watching Orks. Snik, being the reclusive boss that he is, decided not to stick around and get congratulated, so he drove off on the bike and disappeared into the nearest Mek’s workshop with his new acquisition.

The Mek, simply now knows as Klaws, and Snik weren’t seen outside the workshop for nearly a week, until one day a mighty red beast of a butchered Space Marine bike rolled out of the workshop; Snik finally had his Slay.

THE RULES
The rules for are designed to be followed without being too complicated.

• This competition is primarily a painting and conversion competiton, open to any member of 40KOnline, Ork player or otherwise. Whilst you don't have to massively convert any of your model, skillful paint jobs and mad converting skills will garner you more votes.

• You may enter any single model, vehicle, unit, diorama, or piece of terrain. You however may only have one (1) entry in the competition.

• All models should be based appropriately; whilst a detailed base isn't necessary a painted and flocked one is preferable.

• When posting updates on your entry, please post them in your original post in this thread, and please thumbnail your pictures. You can also post your entry into either the modelling or painting forums and link them back to this thread.

• Once the competition closes a poll will open to all 40KOnline members to vote on their favourite entry. In addition this competition will have a panel of three (3) judges (still to be chosen) who use the following set of criteria below to come to a verdict on who they think should get top prize.
Yes, this means there will be two 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed winners. Each winner, if part of the WotW - Green Menace, will receive 15 Teef in 1st place, 10 Teef for 2nd, and 5 for 3rd. And yes, it might be possible to win both the poll and judges vote, but thats up to you.

• The competition will run from the 1st of December to the end of day on the 29th of December (GMT).

THE CRITERIA
Painting (1-10 points) - A clean cool paint job is the objective, but if you can make it suitably slick with shading, source lighting and other special techniques you'll get the high score.

Conversion (1-10 points) - Non-stock models with a high attention to detail, so that which has been changed looks like it hasn't. Do it good and you'll score highly.

Originality (1 - 10 points) If you do something no one has ever seen before or something incredibly cool you'll score highly.

Theme (1-10) If the model/s have been painted and/or converted up to the suitable Ork-mas spirit you'll earn highly marks.

DROPFALL

PS - Rules for Saint Snik on Slay coming soon!

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Re: 2nd Annual SAINT SNIK Ork-mas Comp!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
I'm totally building Meka Klaws and his Cyboar Slay...  And a Mega Dread decked out in Christmas gear for a Christmas themed event at my LGS...  Count me in!

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
Aggggh! Slow to the punch, I had hoped to be the first sign up. Guess I should have set my alarm for "really early".  ::)

Count me in, I will have the ultimate model this year, and the snazziest base to sway them judges (or I can send bribes  ;) )

Here is my completed (?) entry, just in time for the deadline
The front                            Close up of the know whats

Right Side                           Left Side

I only have what I call the "bulk" painting done, lots of detail, shading, and washing to do. Unfortunately I was unable to find the time or the warm weather to get it all done before the deadline. It is definitely table ready, but not the good standard that I like. I will finish it, and you will see it in action in a batrep soon. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:23:43 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »
Just to clarify, do we need to just go Christmas themed (Orkmas?) or specifically Saint Snik?  I've a good idea I think, but its general christmas... and I've no idea if I can actually pull it of...

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
Oh my, it must be December again.  Unfortunately I can't sign up at the moment, too much real life stress to be able to commit, but I do want to wish everyone luck, and I can't wait to see the end products.

I also want to throw out my idea for last year's Sain Snik comp, the Dreidle Dread.

Just to clarify, do we need to just go Christmas themed (Orkmas?) or specifically Saint Snik?  I've a good idea I think, but its general christmas... and I've no idea if I can actually pull it of...
You were here last year Az, you remember this don't you?  Saint Snik is a mixture of our human wintertime celebrations, and Orkish Kulture.  Or at least that's the answer I remember.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
You were here last year Az, you remember this don't you?  Saint Snik is a mixture of our human wintertime celebrations, and Orkish Kulture.  Or at least that's the answer I remember.

Was around, but since I consider myself at best a so-so modeler and painter, I usually don't pay much attention to modeling contests other then looking at and voting on everyone else's cool stuff at the end.  And most of the entries I remember last year were more or less a Saint Snik model (or at least so they looked to me...)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2011, 04:38:50 AM »

The models dont have to be about Snik; Snik is my creation and I like creating things based on him, but you're definitely free to come up wuth anything you like. Just think about what you enjoy during xmas, and then think about what an ork enjoys the most, and then try to fuse em together.

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
  • If we don't end WAAGH, WAAGH will end us!
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
I have more than a few ideas for this! Just to be clear is a single model right (had an idea that inculded a gretchin mob with it's runtherder)? So MANY THINGS I COULD DO! Shokk Gun Santa (HEHE;D), Wazadakka Grinchmek, Thraka Klaws, Weird Mall Santa (its a weirdboy), and much much more! (feel free to take an idea I have posted here, I am not going to do all of these)

(P.S. Shokk Gun Santa is the best name ever)
----------------
Ok my entry is underway. I am doing Shokk Gun Santa, basicly a mod of the Big Mek with the Shokk attack gun. I figured it would be the most fun and when I field it in my army it would make my enemy laugh when every he rolled a 12 on the strength check (IT WILL SEND HIS UNITS TO THE NORTH POLE). After all what could be better than sending snotlings wrapped with presents through the warp?

BTW another idea people could take is the gretchin carolers. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440265a&prodId=prod1750020 Just tell me that the first one on the second row doesn't look like hes saying the five golden rings part over and over!
---------------
Started painting and planning out by green stuff bitz. Going to be able to put in a good amount of work into it this week and even possibly get it done! Trying to determine how much I should decorate the base.
---------------
Video Update for my entry! It's almost done!
Zachay2000 Saint Snik Update 12/14/2011
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:45:11 PM by zachay2000 »
Check out the Two Headed Geek channel on Youtube! TwoheadedGeek's channel - YouTube *Latest Video= Army Update*

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted in this yet. It seems that the two people that were hired to help me this year found out that it is work, and one quit after one day and the other made it two weeks. Since then I have been doing their hours as well as mine. While the paychecks are going to be really good, I haven't had the time to work on Saint Snicks Slay.

Don't give up on me yet, plus with all the extra bucks I can buy more toys. Right now my boss is loving me, as I am doing the job of three people and keeping up. But, they are going to hate me when they see all the overtime they are paying me  ;D

Trying to keep with the fluff, about a found SM bike and a week in the shop, here is what I have so far.
(make sure to click on the picture for a full size view)

Well, here is the pictures of the start, an old style rhino and some biker bits

And here is the rhino chopped up with the bike attached, I used both SM and Ork bike parts.

Another view of the same thing

Sorry for the slow start, it has just been one of those months... :-[
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:56:25 AM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 06:23:14 AM »
I didn't paint a model for this competition, but here's a little song instead.  :)

On da twelfth day of Snikmas, my Warboss gave to me:

12 choppas chopping
11 lootas looting
10 grots a-grabbing
9 burnas burning
8 dreads a-klanking
7 stormboyz flying
6 nobs a-krumping
5 GOLDEN TEEF!
4 hopping squigs
3 red trukks
2 beaky heads
and a big shoota under da tree!  ;D
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »
Good little song, I had heard a similar one a few years back and 2 was "two attack squigs", but other than that it seems like the same song. Good stuff  ;D

Made some more progress, and since I have today off, if the sun comes out I should get it finished and ready for painting.

here you see the cabin is closed in and the ramp is on.

Here you see the rockits, they are just balance there for now, for the picture.

Keeping with the fluff of a stolen bike that is seriously mekked, and the making things go boom, I am going to have it count as a junka with with two grot guided bombs. I need to add some crew, guns, and mechanical know whats, then paint it. So I hope it gets done before the dead line.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
Rob...  That song is awesome!!!

I finally got a picture of Meka Klaws...  Actually it was on the website of my LGS...  Here he is in all his glory!

And of course, there is his theme song!!!

You know Dakka and Slasha
And Krompa and Fixin,
Vomit and Putrid
 Zogger and Squishen.
But da ya recall
Da most biggust Mek of dem’all?

Meka the red-klawed space ork
(Space Ork)
Had a’ very shiny klaw
(Power Klaw)
And if you ever saw it
(Saw it)
You would even say it glows
(with a power field)

All of the other Big Meks
(Big Meks)
Used ta laugh an’call him names
(like You Stupid Git)
They never let Old Meka Klaws
(Meka Klaws)
Join in any Big Mek Games
(Like Krumpopoly)

Then one Bloody Waaaghmas Eve
The War Boss came to say
(Waaaagh Waaagh Waaagh)
Meka with your Klaw so bright
Won't you lead this Waaagh tonight?
Then all the Big Meks loved him
(loved him)
And they shouted out with Relief
(Har Har Har)
Meka the red-klawed space ork
(space ork)
You'll get blown to smithereens!

Adam
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 02:39:54 PM by adamscurr »

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
@adamscurr -- nice job on St. Snik.  OMG funny song!
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
@Adamscurr, that is one fine looking model, I am insanely jealous  :-[  So how did it do in the miss klaws battle?
Now I am worried that I might not win as now I am not the only competitor  :o

Any way, here is progress on mine;
A front view of the built model, the two grots on the table in front are going to be rockit riders after I paint the rockits.

Here is a close up of the know whats and ramp mechanism.

A side view

And a close up of the grot rigger I made from a former IG tank commander

The model is primed and I hope to get some painting done this week.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
Thanks Agatha...  I made him for a Christmas game that Ollieb put on at my LGS...  He won the "Best Christmas" model so I got to use Ollie's grot mega tank you can see in the background...  Meka himself I ran as a mekboy Junka with a Deff Rolla...

Meka didn't make it through the battle, but the mega tank did...  It was amazed at how much I was not shot at...  It seemed pretty much everyone considered the other untis on the talbe a bigger threat than me, until I assaulted! lol

Adam

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
  • If we don't end WAAGH, WAAGH will end us!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Wow these are some good looking models. Here is my final entry for the contest with Shokk Attack Santa!
2nd Saint Snick contest entry
Check out the Two Headed Geek channel on Youtube! TwoheadedGeek's channel - YouTube *Latest Video= Army Update*

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
Ok, I got enough done that I think I may qualify for the running.
(Not to mention I got the pictures posted just before the deadline  :-[ )

You can see my final entry HERE

I will use it as a junka with two grot bombs in games, but it does look like something Snik would have made if he had a whole week in a mek shop, and keeping with the delivery of bomb goodness by Snik and his faithful grots.

Hope you like it  ;D

And just as a side note; I will finish the detail painting and get a battle in with it soon. I will post the batrep link in the WoTW thread.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:29:09 PM by SKEETERGOD »