News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Samurai Imperial Guard  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Mork Incarnate

• "I'm kind of a big deal"
Samurai Imperial Guard
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:44:25 PM »
Hi all,  I saw a topic like this one over on the SM board and began to wonder if anyone had taken a stab at a samurai imperial guard regiment?  I think this is great idea,  and would be willing to try it, but i really would'nt know where to start.  Does anyone know of a range of samurai for historical gaming, roughly gaurdsmen size?  I saw the minatures from dixon and they look to cartoonie and small to use.  Basically I'm looking for ones you could slap a lasgun on and a few exra imperial eagles and away you go. 

Offline Legacy40k

• I'm a llama!
Re: Samurai Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:41:59 PM »
It could be done, it would look cool, but impracticle on a large scale.

Just do it for a squad of Veterans for the amount of work it will take you!

However, it would give an excuse to take Hardened Fighters and Warrior Weapons!

my guard are going with a Tech ninja feel :)

-Legacy40k

Offline kuchervano

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:08:22 AM »
A killteam themed like that would work excelently (both being stealthy and deadly).  A whole regiment is a no-no, for the reasons described above.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 01:47:56 AM »
I saw that thread a long while ago...

I would love to see a samurai army based on IG myself. Obviously, the army should have CC units like rough riders, veterans, and maybe Ogryns. There are much more possibility if you have Witch Hunter OR Daemon Hunter as ally. (Especially the Inquisitors that can be customised for CC) What would be most appropiate is to have Grey Knights representing heavily armoured samurais while guardsmen can be gunpowder units using muskets.

Does anyone know of a range of samurai for historical gaming, roughly gaurdsmen size?  I saw the minatures from dixon and they look to cartoonie and small to use.  Basically I'm looking for ones you could slap a lasgun on and a few exra imperial eagles and away you go. 

I agree that the models from that range look a bit cartoonish... I know a few places where you could find the propersamurai models.

em4miniatures: There are only a few on this range & I think they are probably not a good place to start.

urbanmammoth - Urban War: VASA: They have what could be described as the futuristic style of samurai. There are even samurai bikers!

Legend of the Five Rings: Rokugan Miniatures: They have a wide selection of real & proper samurai models. A nice place to look at.

Well... I hope this helps. And if you ever gone to make this themed IG army, be sure to post some pics of your conversion. ;) (I would like to see it as well as the other)

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 02:18:34 AM »
There used to be a game called Warzone - it had a samurai force called Mishima - they still appear on e-bay from time to time - though, i imagine it would be hard to find enough to make an army out of, so Wper's suggestions are probably better.  On the plus side, they and the Urban Mamoth guys have guns.  The Warzone figs are a fair bit bigger than IG, though...

Anyway,, in case you are curious what they look like, here are some I painted:

BTW, there are other weapons than the machinegun (I think there is a grenade launcher as well), but they are harder to find.  There are other styles of Mishima figures too - some look more like Samurai (more ornate armour), some more like peasants, etc.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 03:21:01 AM »
If you want a proper samurai miniature, aside of the links above, here it is;

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/samwelcome.asp

These samurais are sculpted by none other than Perry bros themselves. Excellent detail and worksmanship. The only thing would be that they are a tad smaller than your ordinary joe, since Japs are 'supposed' to be short. I own a couple of them myself, and they are cheap! Perry bros would be delighted to answer any questions you have in regards to questions and all.
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline Mork Incarnate

• "I'm kind of a big deal"
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 11:57:48 AM »
WOW!  those miniatures from urban war posted by wper are perfect!  if those sumo guys are big enough they can be ogryns!  Does anyone know how big that samurai battle suit thing is?

Offline Quin 242

• Neon Brown. Is it a color?
    • The Writing Docs
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 01:23:27 PM »
There are some sweet minis out there... Too bad GW really didn't go after any asian/oriental cultures with it's fluff. The White Scars are about as close as they got. Maybe the Tau.

If you did make an IG army out of these guys it'd be all about home games tho. No RTT or Games days :(
Do not underestimate the Squats. They survived for millenia cut off from the Imperium and assailed from all sides. Their determination and resilience is an example to all.
(gleefully stolen wholely typed by Spacedwarv)

If you ever need editing services please visit my website:  www.thewritingdocs. com