News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th edition  (Read 32186 times)

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
Re: 6th edition
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
My SWS flamethrower speed bump halted four charges just from the wall of death against an Ork army until he gave up charging my squishy middle and proceeded to suicide charge his trukk full of burna boyz to my left flank and use the template rules to break coherency of a 30 man blob that had his meganobz stuck. (Autocannons, Plasma Guns, and lucky roles, everytime they came out of cover he lost one.) He broke that line, but then I rammed his trukk with a Russ, it exploded, killing all but one Burna Boy, and then let up the Meganobz with a demo cannon and melta spam. Turn five went bad for him.

A well planning counter charge unit can make head on assaults downright impossible. If your enemy has a counter charge unit set up... don't charge it, or unload firepower into it first. People need to learn to soften the line before running head first into it now.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
My SWS flamethrower speed bump halted four charges just from the wall of death against an Ork army until he gave up charging my squishy middle...

Impressive but I hope they did it in four different turns as a unit can't overwatch more than once a turn (rulebook page 21, under 'overwatch restrictions')
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »

genestealers may not be the best example as they are pretty much overkill on marines anyway. However, overwatch will hurt low T elite assaulters the most... units from Eldar / Dark Eldar. Where you are paying a lot for your infantry and they are only just matching up to their target. BUT, these types of armies tend to have pretty prodigious shooting so you should be able to whittle enemy numbers down reducing the overwatch shots to manageable levels!

A great point well made, Target priority will be more important now. There's going to be a lot more classical battle doctrine in the game now. i.e. shoot first to whittle down the enemy then strike at a weak point with your assault units. Overwhelme and overcome. The balance will come in armies that can do both of these. Eldar I think can and controversially Marines will suffer here...

Horde armies will benefit from it, however Marines will not suffer from this rule as Allies means they can take cheap IG guard to rush in before the Termies/Jump troops pile in, just like they do in all the fluff lol :)

Trying to pull that tactic with Eldar is more expensive and will slow your army down or becomes extremely expensive if you try to make it mobile.

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2012, 11:51:36 PM »
Or you can just ally them with the Imperial Guard and let them take the wounds before your banshees and scorpions mix it up... :-p Or have an Ork merc force...
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »
Or you can just ally them with the Imperial Guard and let them take the wounds before your banshees and scorpions mix it up... :-p Or have an Ork merc force...

it has potential but SM and IG have a better working relationship :)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:01 AM »
Simply then, do it with Wyches!! they'll do a better job of it anyway.

Besides you don't need a healthy working relationship to send lambs to the slaughter :)

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
A decent look at early days of 6th from BoLS

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Wargames & Miniatures News: Bell of Lost Souls: Brent

If by 'decent look' you mean over worded self-congratulatory ego stroking session where he insults 'the rabble' for being stupid and panicky then yes, I agree.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
Quote from: Mr Draken on Yesterday at 07:10:29 AM
A decent look at early days of 6th from BoLS

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Wargames & Miniatures News: Bell of Lost Souls: Brent

Hymirl: If by 'decent look' you mean over worded self-congratulatory ego stroking session where he insults 'the rabble' for being stupid and panicky then yes, I agree.

Yeah I wouldn't spend too much time on BOLS purely because many of their reviews are not so useful I've found. They commonly forget to talk about rules that affect certain units, and also many of the writers seem to have large egos that go with running a blog where what is written comes from only a select group of people.

For those who do like to read long, comprehensive analysis, 3++ is the New Black has some good articles, even if not everything written there is the most correct. They have a lot of discussion in their comments which provides some additional insight into things that may have been missed within the articles. Also the writers often edit their posts if a big mistake is made.

However of course, this forum is much better for getting many people to contribute to ideas, especially for army lists. Its good to move around the interwebs to find the best information.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
Isn't 3++ the blog where the guy spends more time whining about internet forums than talking about 40K? Yeah, seems pretty much the standard egotistical tupenny shuffle fest that sadly characterises most the 40K blogs.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »
Isn't 3++ the blog where the guy spends more time whining about internet forums than talking about 40K? Yeah, seems pretty much the standard egotistical tupenny shuffle fest that sadly characterises most the 40K blogs.

I don't want to derail this discussion too much, but it is a blog that spends a lot of time analyzing units and army types with the perspective of around 7 authors, most of which win many local tournaments. They may each have some egos, but they aren't as pretentious as many other bloggers are.

They also aren't necessarily the greatest 40k players, but recently they've spent a lot of time justifying their assertions, which helps players at least see where they're coming from, even if they don't necessarily agree that one unit is good/bad/etc.

Also their articles are useful when trying to anticipate armies that you have never played before. Reading their articles/army reviews helped me play against many very difficult builds with my CSM's back in 5th edition. Not everything they said turned out relevant, but a lot of it was informative in one way or another.

I think writing this hopefully helps someone besides Hymirl. Its good to search around the internet, even if it only trains you to discern who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. If there is a lot of explanation behind someone's analysis, they probably have done at least some research (or game playing, or course).

Offline Reepy

• Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Dark Angels
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:04 AM »

I don't want to derail this discussion too much, but it is a blog that spends a lot of time analyzing units and army types with the perspective of around 7 authors, most of which win many local tournaments. They may each have some egos, but they aren't as pretentious as many other bloggers are.

They also aren't necessarily the greatest 40k players, but recently they've spent a lot of time justifying their assertions, which helps players at least see where they're coming from, even if they don't necessarily agree that one unit is good/bad/etc.

Also their articles are useful when trying to anticipate armies that you have never played before. Reading their articles/army reviews helped me play against many very difficult builds with my CSM's back in 5th edition. Not everything they said turned out relevant, but a lot of it was informative in one way or another.

I think writing this hopefully helps someone besides Hymirl. Its good to search around the internet, even if it only trains you to discern who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. If there is a lot of explanation behind someone's analysis, they probably have done at least some research (or game playing, or course).

I agree with Hymril to some extend. Though in 3++ they don't only whine about forums, they are the egotistical tupenny shuffle fest he describes. They guys in the blog are complete WAAC players and their unit analysis are very bad for players that want to have any flavor in their army. They have points like "...you should never buy this..." and "...you have to have at least two or three in your army...". And they don't just do this for units that are really-really awful. If you listen to their blog there are usually a handful of choices you can pic from any codex. Their battle reports usually consist of "parking lot 1" against "parking lot 2" and each opponent threw dice...

Now on the topic: I have played some games now with my three armies and can with a clear heart say that there isn't a single rule in 6th edition I do not think is better or at least as good as in 5th. The game has become much more enjoyable and more tactical and most of that tactic comes from the wound allocation (hooray for the new wound allocation).

With my Tyranids I found that Flying Monstrous Creatures do have a place in 40K. They are not as tough to kill as the flyers but are still a good buy. Also it is tough when you have to remove the front line (from a unit of hormogaunts for example) when they shoot at you.

With my Necrons I found that if you want to play against Necrons you shouldn't take any vehicles. Seriously ... they just die almost without effort.

With my Eldar I found that the new psychic powers are grand and the new flat out and turbo boost give you so much more flexibility.

Still haven't tried a some of the new stuff but for now this edition seems superb.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:25:00 AM by Reepy »