News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Doubles versus Guards  (Read 545 times)

Offline fireborn14

• Ork Boy
  • Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people
Doubles versus Guards
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »
Hey, me and my friend are playing a doubles game against two of our friends who play guards. My friend plays dark angels and I do Salamanders. It's 4000pts a side. Any suggestions for units we should include or tactics?

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Doubles versus Guards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
To be honest, you seem to have it mostly covered with the word "Salamanders". Abuse Vulkan He'stan's bonuses for fun and profit -- flamers for the infantry, meltas for the tanks. Priority targets are of course Punishers and Executioners, who will either drown you in saves or in plasma, and do watch out for blob-Guard, as combined squads using FRFSRF will drown you in saves in much the same way as the Punisher will.

Blast markers will make your enemy squirm when flamer templates are unavailable.

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
Koval has it summed up nicely i believe... Get some nice template weapons in the form of whirlwinds and vindicators :) and keep blasting away at those large squads. I'd recomend Telion and scout snipers too so you can use Telions shots to remove any pesky commisars.

For the tanks i prefer 3 attack bikes with multi meltas (i preach this all across the forum) if you can get them in fast enough you can take tanks out in turns 1 and 2 easily.

Land raider redeemer with some termies in wudnt go amiss, the flamestorm cannons will really tear apart those weak Guard squads.

I don't know anything about dark angels so i can't comment on that side of things but if you have enough templates, flamers and meltas between you then you've got it in the bag :)
Explosivo111

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
Get the Dark Angels to do a semi-suicidal alpha strike. A mix of dual-wing, Terminators and Bikers, tearing up a flank should take some pressure off the Sallies. Each player should keep their units together, you can't match 4K of guard for numbers or firepower if you spread out, and your list won't gel with it's components.